ImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Mills: A New Day For The Knicks – The Journey Begins

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,348

Steve Mills: A New Day For The Knicks – The Journey Begins 

Post#1 » by Phish Tank » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:49 pm

So MSG has just started a blog feature.

The first blog post is from Steve Mills.

Take a read. Will post quotes below:

https://blog.msg.com/2017/08/25/a-new-day-for-the-knicks-the-journey-begins/

As I said last month on the day we introduced Scott Perry as our new general manager, we are devoted to a bedrock principle —  to restore the pride, work ethic and accountability that comes with playing in New York.

Dogged defense. Crisp, unselfish ball movement.  Scraping for loose balls. These will be our hallmarks.

And our plan to become more youthful and athletic is underway with 22-year-old Kristaps Porzingis, the return of Tim Hardaway Jr., 25, Willy Hernangómez, 23, and with the debut of our 1st round draft pick, Frank Ntilikina, just 19.

Now, I’m the one called upon to exercise wisdom.  In May — before we brought in Scott — I traveled to France to watch Frank Ntilikina. His physical tools were obvious, and I noticed how as point guard he seemed to sense when to defer to his teammates on offense and when to turn on the aggressiveness.

He, Porzingis and Hardaway, along with Hernangómez and Ron Baker will exemplify a new defensive mindset that puts a premium on making stops. Only from there can a productive offense flow.  We will emphasize ball movement, body movement, spacing and screening, while understanding that these changes will be a work in progress. We may not be there at first, but that’s the brand of ball our players will aspire to fulfill.

These players, still young, intent on enhancing their games, engaged in a common objective, are already altering the atmosphere surrounding the club.

Coach Carril would want them on his team.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,028

Re: Steve Mills: A New Day For The Knicks – The Journey Begins 

Post#2 » by god shammgod » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:58 pm

this team will be terrible defensively
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#3 » by Thorn » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:00 pm

Interesting read, thanks for posting.
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Post#4 » by BowlRips » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:02 pm

Well written. I guess the rebuild is on.
Melo got to be irking. Not even an inclusion of his name.
All vets should get on notice
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#5 » by god shammgod » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:04 pm

i'm pretty sure melo knew they were rebuilding before this blog post.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#6 » by Billy Goat » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:07 pm

"We'll bull you through a blog, while we sign guys like Michael Beasley"
RaZzMaTaZz
Senior
And1: 213

Post#7 » by RaZzMaTaZz » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:09 pm

Good read.

I will be honestly surprised if Melo is still on the team come training camp. I don't think Mills/Perry or Melo want to deal with the media asking questions on why he is still with the knicks or does he want to stay etc....
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,435

Post#8 » by JXL » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:10 pm

No mention of DA DOG KOQ? Dayum... guess his days are numbered too...
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,984

Post#9 » by BigShot Bojan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:13 pm

Billy Goat wrote:"We'll bull you through a blog, while we sign guys like Michael Beasley"

hes like a 10th man...
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#10 » by Billy Goat » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:14 pm

knicks85 wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:"We'll bull you through a blog, while we sign guys like Michael Beasley"

hes like a 10th man...

Replace Beasley with Hardaway and 71 million dollars then.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,370

Post#11 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:14 pm

Phish Tank wrote:So MSG has just started a blog feature.

As I said last month on the day we introduced Scott Perry as our new general manager, we are devoted to a bedrock principle —  to restore the pride, work ethic and accountability that comes with playing in New York.

Dogged defense. Crisp, unselfish ball movement.  Scraping for loose balls. These will be our hallmarks.

And our plan to become more youthful and athletic is underway with 22-year-old Kristaps Porzingis, the return of Tim Hardaway Jr., 25, Willy Hernangómez, 23, and with the debut of our 1st round draft pick, Frank Ntilikina, just 19.

Now, I’m the one called upon to exercise wisdom.  In May — before we brought in Scott — I traveled to France to watch Frank Ntilikina. His physical tools were obvious, and I noticed how as point guard he seemed to sense when to defer to his teammates on offense and when to turn on the aggressiveness.

He, Porzingis and Hardaway, along with Hernangómez and Ron Baker will exemplify a new defensive mindset that puts a premium on making stops. Only from there can a productive offense flow.  We will emphasize ball movement, body movement, spacing and screening, while understanding that these changes will be a work in progress. We may not be there at first, but that’s the brand of ball our players will aspire to fulfill.

These players, still young, intent on enhancing their games, engaged in a common objective, are already altering the atmosphere surrounding the club.

I still some of the fingerprints of Phil in some of these statements. I don't think it was a total loss if Mills can build on the good parts while doing away with the nonsense

"How can we build a Knicks team that possesses true unity of purpose, a group in which everyone so truly believes in one another that together we can create something unique, something special?"

This next quote isn't a specific "Philism" but in this case, this is where Mills and Phil are drinking from the same well (and most successful sports teams, to be honest)

"My old college basketball coach at Princeton, Pete Carril, drove this home for me, that basketball is a great revealer of character.  Whoever you are as a person is revealed on the court. If you’re a selfish person, it’s revealed. If you’re a giving person, or if you have a large ego, it’s revealed. You can’t hide from it, and your teammates know it."

BTW, since Pete Carril is mentioned, I'd sure love for the Knicks to hire one of his protégés, David Blatt, and run variations on the Princeton offense (which would look great with WillyB making Miller/Webber plays and KP in constant motion)

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4294vb/blatts_offense_the_systemoffense_cleveland_fans/
melo mvp 15
Assistant Coach
And1: 393

Post#12 » by melo mvp 15 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:15 pm

I get that we should want to be a defensive first team, especially after being terribly defensively for like all but maybe one year in the past decade... but this team is definitely not built to be a strong defensive team right now. Sure we might able to coach some good team defense, but that's not exactly Hornacek's strong suit. Tim and Hernangomez are definitely below average defenders right now, considering they'll each probably play ~30 min, it'll be interesting to see how strong our defense really is. We have some great defensive veteran role players in Lance and Lee (plus Noah still has the potential to at least be a 15 mpg defensive back up, although it's not likely), but I think our core players are going to need to radically improve their defensive if we want to be a good defensive team.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#13 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:17 pm

BowlRips wrote:Well written. I guess the rebuild is on.
Melo got to be irking. Not even an inclusion of his name.
All vets should get on notice

Well, if you want to come across in a not FOS matter, it's good to not mention Melo and defensive identity in the same sentence.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#14 » by Red Vines » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:17 pm

I just want an honest effort on defense, that would be progress, just make that a basic expectation for playing time.
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,435

Post#15 » by JXL » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:18 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
I still some of the fingerprints of Phil in some of these statements. I don't think it was a total loss if Mills can build on the good parts while doing away with the nonsense

"How can we build a Knicks team that possesses true unity of purpose, a group in which everyone so truly believes in one another that together we can create something unique, something special?"

This next quote isn't a specific "Philism" but in this case, this is where Mills and Phil are drinking from the same well (and most successful sports teams, to be honest)

"My old college basketball coach at Princeton, Pete Carril, drove this home for me, that basketball is a great revealer of character.  Whoever you are as a person is revealed on the court. If you’re a selfish person, it’s revealed. If you’re a giving person, or if you have a large ego, it’s revealed. You can’t hide from it, and your teammates know it."

BTW, since Pete Carril is mentioned, I'd sure love for the Knicks to hire one of his protégés, David Blatt, and run variations on the Princeton offense (which would look great with WillyB making Miller/Webber plays and KP in constant motion)

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4294vb/blatts_offense_the_systemoffense_cleveland_fans/

Wait until next May... Blatt to coach the Knicks confirmed...
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#16 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:19 pm

melo mvp 15 wrote:I get that we should want to be a defensive first team, especially after being terribly defensively for like all but maybe one year in the past decade... but this team is definitely not built to be a strong defensive team right now. Sure we might able to coach some good team defense, but that's not exactly Hornacek's strong suit. Tim and Hernangomez are definitely below average defenders right now, considering they'll each probably play ~30 min, it'll be interesting to see how strong our defense really is. We have some great defensive veteran role players in Lance and Lee (plus Noah still has the potential to at least be a 15 mpg defensive back up, although it's not likely), but I think our core players are going to need to radically improve their defensive if we want to be a good defensive team.

Agreed, but it's good for the statement to start from the very top down that you expect defensive effort. Hopefully the coaches actually enforce it (not likely).
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#17 » by god shammgod » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:21 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:So MSG has just started a blog feature.

i noticed that too. he's repeating a lot of phil's stuff and trying to re-purpose it as his own.

the whole "not following the league's trends" stuff sounds like phil.

he's even doing the whole "i see everything but i'm smarter than everybody" phil schtick.

sounds like we're f*cked to me
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#18 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:21 pm

JXL wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Wait until next May... Blatt to coach the Knicks confirmed...

I sure hope so. And I have nothing against Jeff. He deserves a chance without Phil lurking over his shoulder. He ran some nice motion offenses in Phoenix and all in all did a decent job. But if the org is full of Mills guys and connections, might as well go all in and get Blatt. The team is young enough and Euro enough where I think they'll buy what he is selling, as opposed to LeBron and Co and a championship/deep playoff/vet squad.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#19 » by dakomish23 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:22 pm

Baker fans must of liked him being mentioned for his defensive mindset. I know I was.

Rooting for the kid. Will be an awesome 5th guard on the next great Knicks team.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,137

Post#20 » by Tron Carter » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:22 pm

mills > rosen/phil
R.I.P Black Mamba

Return to New York Knicks