ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Derrick Rose trying to reinvent himself

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,307

Re: OT: Derrick Rose trying to reinvent himself 

Post#21 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:29 pm

How?
:beer: RIP mags
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#22 » by Sark » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:06 pm

I guess he had a slice of humble pie, after thinking he was getting a max contract, and then facing the reality of a $2m contract. For his sake I hope he changes something because what he showed last year was the epitome of a selfish ball player. Completely played for his stats, and never for the team.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,126

Post#23 » by moocow007 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:16 pm

K P 6 wrote:Can't lie, I love his dedication and will to be great again. Its a good trait to have. However at one point when does he say "Ok im not MvP Rose but I can still have an impact".

Didn't he say that last year?
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,047

Post#24 » by GONYK » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:22 pm

Capn'O wrote:I added an important caveat to your title...

I made a post to the like of this the other day on the GB - but reinventing yourself as a player is really hard. McDyess, Grant Hill, and to a lesser extent Kidd (who didn't lose as much) are the only guys I can think of that did it successfully. And retrospectively, I do wonder if McDyess' game was more complete/IQ based before the injuries than I realized as he was always a top defender. Hill and Kidd were obviously VERY high IQ players.

Larry Johnson comes to mind
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,126

Post#25 » by moocow007 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:27 pm

I made a post to the like of this the other day on the GB - but reinventing yourself as a player is really hard. McDyess, Grant Hill, and to a lesser extent Kidd (who didn't lose as much) are the only guys I can think of that did it successfully. And retrospectively, I do wonder if McDyess' game was more complete/IQ based before the injuries than I realized as he was always a top defender. Hill and Kidd were obviously VERY high IQ players.

Well a poster child for reinventing himself is the Knicks very own Larry Johnson who went from the flashy show boaty toon like character "Grandmama" to a gritty role player who was largely the heart and soul of some great Knick teams after his trademark explosiveness left him.

To some degree you can say the same for Vince Carter who transitioned from Half Man Half Amazing to a cerebral all around vet who still managed to produce well after his atleticism had eroded by embracing a bench role.

But yeah most guys who are used to alpha roles find it hard to adjust to NBA careers after their they are no longer the top dog.

Stephen Marbury was a good example. If he wanted too and was willing to accept the role of a 6th man Marbs probably could have had a long career coming off the bench but he couldn't accept it. Allen Iverson was the same. Iverson crashed literally when teams weren't willing to anoint him the lead role. Sprewell also who walked away rather than be paid a subs salary to be a sub even if it likely could have still fed his family quite well.
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,571

Post#26 » by Knick4Real » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:53 am

"So as long as I’m not harming anybody, I feel like I’ve got the right to do that."

This is the line that says it all. Unlike some others, I am not going to criticize Derrick Rose. It's easy for fans to sit back and dictate that he should just accept the reality that his alpha career is over. I actually respect that he's not accepting that. Derrick was one of the best players of his time. A streak of bad luck and multiple injuries changed his fate, but that's not his fault. To me, this is like the man who gets in a terrible car accident and is told he will probably never walk again -- but he keeps telling people that one day he will. Even if it's not true, why be mad at the positive attitude?? It's not easy to just give up. So, I applaud him for continuing to believe in himself. He's not on our team anymore and he's not our responsibility. So, if he wants to believe in himself, I congratulate him for his tenacity. Like he said:

"So as long as I’m not harming anybody, I feel like I’ve got the right to do that."
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#27 » by Ignitowsky » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:43 am

Wilt was the first to reinvent his game.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#28 » by Phish Tank » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:44 am

MJ is another guy I can think of that reinvented his game a few times over his career. Granted he didn't necessarily lose athleticism over his bulls run, but he added a different arsenal.

For Rose to reinvent himself, he'd probably have to become more of an off-the-ball player. For that, he'd need to develop a three point shot.

He won't be a good defender that's for sure

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ChilledAlex
Sixth Man
And1: 960

Post#29 » by ChilledAlex » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:47 am

All the best wishes to this dude after all he had to go through; being basically boo'ed out of hometown after putting them on map again.

Return to New York Knicks