ImageImageImageImageImage

ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,608

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#161 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:51 pm

the voice of the knicks
#Bullyup
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,353

Post#162 » by F N 11 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:11 pm

moocow007 wrote:
battabing10 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
I want him to ball out so teams work harder to get the assets needed to send to NY in a trade. Anthony turns Hoodie Melo into a regular thing, Portland, OKC and/or NO play great...we get some serious assets by shipping him to one of them...everyone moves on. The Knicks can survive having him on the team. Porzingis looks like he's full steam peacocking so I'm not really worried about him being stalled. Frank's game isn't the type to be stalled by Anthony. If anything it will press Frank into even more work and a faster track to develop (as a wing defender to compensate). If we were talking DSJ then ok maybe. Hardaway? Look. If Hardaway was the type of player to plan futures around then folks wouldn't have been as incredulous about his contract. Hardaway is a scorer, he knows what to do and it's what he's already been doing. He's not going to be deterred or defer enough to cramp is offensive game.

I don't get the Hoodie Melo reference. Is he basically Dad Melo?

Hoodie Melo refers to a fan/media hype that is making rounds in social media where Anthony, dressed in a hoodie, has been playing some very impressive looking ball this offseason. Folks are equating the hoodie that he's wearing (what I have in both my sig and av) as being the reason for his play. It's gotten so much cover that NBA2K18 is rumored to be adding a Hoodie Melo version of Anthony to the game that would have a ranking of 98 (see my sig). 98 would be the highest ranking player in the game (Lebron has a 97 ranking). A few folks have even suggested that the NBA allow Anthony to play with a hoodie in game lol (apparently no rule against it). So it's really just referencing the hype. Do I believe it? Nope...but since it's popular it's fun to spoof it a lot of folks are using it. So when we reference a "good" Anthony (or what we hope he can do this season) we often refer to it as "Hoodie Melo".

In other words they only show his makes. So its like a summer of "perfect melo" aka "Hoodie Melo" because he wears a hoodie when he plays.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,608

Post#163 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:16 pm

facts

It's funny, I was just reading that several outlets were reporting that ESPN was near collapse as a network. They lost more than 600,000 subscribers in the month of November.......I guess when a media outlet like @espn wants more clicks/views they create controversy. #TheSeasonWillTellTheStory #stayme7o
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,020

Post#164 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:22 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:facts

It's funny, I was just reading that several outlets were reporting that ESPN was near collapse as a network. They lost more than 600,000 subscribers in the month of November.......I guess when a media outlet like @espn wants more clicks/views they create controversy. #TheSeasonWillTellTheStory #stayme7o

He's right though.

As far as ESPN goes, they did themselves in. They got way too high for their britches and thought no one could touch them. Instituted what has to be one of the absolute worst ideas in the internet age - charging people to read articles on the internet. And then couldn't manage or corral their own staff who either got snatched by other outlets or sunk in their own pile of excess filth.
KnicksLegacy
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#165 » by KnicksLegacy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:29 pm

This is stupid.."Lonzo ball, Danny green, brook lopez better than melo...give me a got damn break...

On this NY team Melo has little value...put him on the right team ...he is vinny "the microwave" Johnson
omaro34
Senior
And1: 700

Post#166 » by omaro34 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:40 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:Where does Ryan Anderson rate?

100th
omaro34
Senior

Post#167 » by omaro34 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:41 pm

KnicksLegacy wrote:This is stupid.."Lonzo ball, Danny green, brook lopez better than melo...give me a got damn break...

On this NY team Melo has little value...put him on the right team ...he is vinny "the microwave" Johnson

robert covington is higher too.....LMAO LOLOLOLOLOL
omaro34
Senior

Post#168 » by omaro34 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:50 pm

moocow007 wrote:

He's right though.

As far as ESPN goes, they did themselves in. They got way too high for their britches and thought no one could touch them. Instituted what has to be one of the absolute worst ideas in the internet age - charging people to read articles on the internet. And then couldn't manage or corral their own staff who either got snatched by other outlets or sunk in their own pile of excess filth.

charging people to read articles? They are that arrogant?
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#169 » by GEOLINK » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:36 pm

Melo responded quicker to that ESPN list than he has anything related to Knicks this whole off-season.
WajaBawl
Starter
And1: 2,250

Post#170 » by WajaBawl » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:53 pm

omaro34 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

He's right though.

charging people to read articles? They are that arrogant?

Yeah. The ESPN Insider bs or whatever they call it. They even clickbait for it on Facebook, and when you click on it a paywall comes up saying "In order to read the full article, please subscribe to our Insider program". GTFO :lol:
RealGM's Scandinavian Correspondent
levendis
Sixth Man
And1: 1,189

Post#171 » by levendis » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:18 pm

reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#172 » by reub » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:58 pm

GEOLINK wrote:Melo responded quicker to that ESPN list than he has anything related to Knicks this whole off-season.

Too bad that he doesn't respond like that when he's playing defense.
EL CABRITO
Starter
And1: 133

Post#173 » by EL CABRITO » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:59 am

Is this real, Lonzo Ball over Melz??

:noway:
If you have no critics you'll likely have no success.
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,552

Post#174 » by BigShot Bojan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:01 am

KnicksLegacy wrote:This is stupid.."Lonzo ball, Danny green, brook lopez better than melo...give me a got damn break...

Lonzo ball is...
Formerly Knicks85
Jstarks3
General Manager
And1: 740

Post#175 » by Jstarks3 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:01 am

beck nailed it. espn desperate to get clicks.
by IllmaticHandler

I just got off the Phone with NAS. He said if you listen closely to the intro he not saying **** Jayz. He knew one day a cat name Joey would play himself on realgm. Ether was meant to be used in the future. :o
sushibear
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,984

Post#176 » by sushibear » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:40 am

Prove me wrong melo. Action speaks louder than words.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#177 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:47 am

K P 6 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
battabing10 wrote:
I don't get the Hoodie Melo reference. Is he basically Dad Melo?

Hoodie Melo refers to a fan/media hype that is making rounds in social media where Anthony, dressed in a hoodie, has been playing some very impressive looking ball this offseason. Folks are equating the hoodie that he's wearing (what I have in both my sig and av) as being the reason for his play. It's gotten so much cover that NBA2K18 is rumored to be adding a Hoodie Melo version of Anthony to the game that would have a ranking of 98 (see my sig). 98 would be the highest ranking player in the game (Lebron has a 97 ranking). A few folks have even suggested that the NBA allow Anthony to play with a hoodie in game lol (apparently no rule against it). So it's really just referencing the hype. Do I believe it? Nope...but since it's popular it's fun to spoof it a lot of folks are using it. So when we reference a "good" Anthony (or what we hope he can do this season) we often refer to it as "Hoodie Melo".

In other words they only show his makes. So its like a summer of "perfect melo" aka "Hoodie Melo" because he wears a hoodie when he plays.

He gets it
battabing10
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#178 » by battabing10 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:18 am

Is Melo a first option on offense on a title contending team, ie a top 6 team? No, so he isn't a top 6 offensive player.
Is Melo a second option on a title contending team? No, so he isn't a top 12 offensive player.
Is Melo a third option/6th man on a title contending team? Maybe. He might be a 3rd option on offense on a contender at this point, meaning he would be, from a very narrowly-defined offensive standpoint, somewhere between 13-18th ranked. He is not really efficient as a scorer, so this probably drags him down closer to 18th.

But then, widening the definition of an offensive player, he really isn't/hasn't been much of a playmaker, so that has to drop him a few slots, perhaps more than a few because basketball is a team game. I don't know the calculus for this, but it's reasonable to assume that in a 30-team league, he gets bumped down another 15 places or so for his inability/unwillingness/inconsistent efforts in playing team ball. That puts him somewhere between 28-33. If he doesn't make others better, it's hard to imagine he has zero impact on them, and more plausible to say that he makes others worse.

What about defense? As others have pointed out, Melo last year was one of the worst defenders in the league, both at his position and as a whole. And since defense is basically half of the game in terms of a players value, even if you want to spread the blame around (I don't agree with that at all), that knocks Melo back another 20 spots no matter how you slice it, maybe more.

Conclusion: It is absolutely insulting to place Melo at 64th, but not *outrageous* to put him at around 48th to 53rd overall.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#179 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:46 am

Where did Hoodie Melo rank?
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#180 » by ChaosHamster » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:55 am

Wow, I've softened by a lot towards Melo in the offseason. Guy went through a rough patch in his life.

But I see guys are still hating going strong. :lol:

Someone still has to.. I guess :evil:

Return to New York Knicks