ImageImageImageImageImage

ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,479

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#301 » by NYKnickerbocker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:19 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:
Having a wings game in a centers body means what exactly? If you're not getting efficiency from one of your main shot takers it makes no difference how tall he is.

You're the one that mentioned that he was 7 foot and now you're saying it makes no difference how tall he is. Just because he's 7 feet doesn't make him a traditional big. Demarcus Cousins is also a career 45% shooter and is known as one of the best players in the league, and he plays closer to the basket than KP does.

Demarcus Cousins should not be considered one of the best players in the league.
:lol:
battabing10
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#302 » by battabing10 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:29 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:
that's slightly below average for a big. He needs to stop shooting long two's

He does, and I believe he will. Alot of times when doing analysis of players, especially these days, we tend to do it without respect to whats going on and how players must act in relation to thier teammates.

So you came up with a solution which makes sense, fine I agree. But id argue that if Rose and Melo were to infinitely be on this roster then the best places for KP to find open offense would be from the very place you dont want him shooting from. In other words....its all that's left. And without bashing or blaming the other two. Rose was a great driver so in order to create space KP had to spread out to 18-20 ft. Melo operates in the same space a PF should so not to crowd KP often set up behind the arc.

In other words itz not the best option but very explainable. And that's why many want Melo gone even if it isn't to say hes a bad player

My worry is KP is getting too wrapped up in being a "Big guy who can dribble." The crossover, long two he likes to take gets the crowd going, but it's not really a good shot. The things we seem to glamorize KP on dont have much impact on win's/losses. Dirk's one of the most unique players ever- the likelihood he turns into that is slim. I'd prefer if he worked on things most bigs do.

:lol: who do you think he is imitating on that?

KP6 needs to:

1)get to the line 5+ times a game
2)raise his TS% to 57-58%
3)have 4 assists per game

some of you are doing backdoor character assassination for this kid. like he has a big head all of a sudden. what has he done to prove this is a fact??
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#303 » by Billy Goat » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:31 pm

NYKnickerbocker wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
You're the one that mentioned that he was 7 foot and now you're saying it makes no difference how tall he is. Just because he's 7 feet doesn't make him a traditional big. Demarcus Cousins is also a career 45% shooter and is known as one of the best players in the league, and he plays closer to the basket than KP does.

Demarcus Cousins should not be considered one of the best players in the league.

It's just a coincidence that cousins is the leading shot taker on terrible teams.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#304 » by blueNorange » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:45 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:
that's slightly below average for a big. He needs to stop shooting long two's

He does, and I believe he will. Alot of times when doing analysis of players, especially these days, we tend to do it without respect to whats going on and how players must act in relation to thier teammates.

So you came up with a solution which makes sense, fine I agree. But id argue that if Rose and Melo were to infinitely be on this roster then the best places for KP to find open offense would be from the very place you dont want him shooting from. In other words....its all that's left. And without bashing or blaming the other two. Rose was a great driver so in order to create space KP had to spread out to 18-20 ft. Melo operates in the same space a PF should so not to crowd KP often set up behind the arc.

In other words itz not the best option but very explainable. And that's why many want Melo gone even if it isn't to say hes a bad player

My worry is KP is getting too wrapped up in being a "Big guy who can dribble." The crossover, long two he likes to take gets the crowd going, but it's not really a good shot. The things we seem to glamorize KP on dont have much impact on win's/losses. Dirk's one of the most unique players ever- the likelihood he turns into that is slim. I'd prefer if he worked on things most bigs do.

you're having a tough time understanding that kristpas isn't a big man, he's more of a small forward than anything.

how can you not watch that whenever he plays is beyond me, why do you think his brother didn't want him bulking up? BECAUSE HE'S NOT A BIG MAN.

the whole unicorn moniker is because you don't see a player playing the wing being 7'3"
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
battabing10
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#305 » by battabing10 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:06 pm

blueNorange wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

you're having a tough time understanding that kristpas isn't a big man, he's more of a small forward than anything.

how can you not watch that whenever he plays is beyond me, why do you think his brother didn't want him bulking up? BECAUSE HE'S NOT A BIG MAN.

the whole unicorn moniker is because you don't see a player playing the wing being 7'3"

exactly, although it would be great if he could work out of the mid- and high-post occasionally.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#306 » by dakomish23 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:07 pm

blueNorange wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

The unicorn moniker was because he's a 7 footer who can protect the rim at an elite level and hit the 3 consistently.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,959

Post#307 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:40 pm

KP should not be changed into a regular big man. He's not gonna be a Greg Monroe, Al Jefferson type, or a Tyson Chandler or Rudy Gobert type. That's okay. Just build around that, if he becomes a stud. Enforcer types abound in this league, and FA has shown us that some of them are really cheap. Or, use him as a building block/complementary piece for any other star...he's almost guaranteed to fit well with any 1A option in this league because of his skillset.

Also, not sure what it means when people say he's not efficient for a 7 footer. If we have a guard or small forward on this team, and they're being inefficient, they should still be held to the same standard. You're either efficient or not, period. If KP's field goal rate is being dragged down because he's hitting a bunch of threes at 40%, by all means, go for it. I don't care that much about that 50% field goal percentage number as long as TS% is high.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#308 » by blueNorange » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:55 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:

The unicorn moniker was because he's a 7 footer who can protect the rim at an elite level and hit the 3 consistently.

lol yeah, that's why he's called the unicorn and not because he's 7'3" and running up and down like a wing :rofl:
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#309 » by Billy Goat » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:00 pm

blueNorange wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

When do all of these fancy superlatives translate to wins?
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#310 » by dakomish23 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:26 pm

blueNorange wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:you're having a tough time understanding that kristpas isn't a big man, he's more of a small forward than anything.

lol yeah, that's why he's called the unicorn and not because he's 7'3" and running up and down like a wing :rofl:

"He can shoot, he can make the right plays, he can defend, and he’s a 7-footer that can shoot all the way out to the three-point line. That’s rare. And block shots—that’s like a unicorn in this league."

That's Kevin Durant describing Kristaps Porzingis in January of last year. That's how the revolution got its name. Because it's not just Porzingis. This is a movement that's sweeping the league as the by-product of both enlightened basketball philosophies and space-age genetics. Any given night in the NBA, there's a good chance you'll watch a big man with a mind-boggling combination of skills. Some of them are younger, and some are older players who have added to their games to keep up. Either way, we are living in the NBA's unicorn era.

https://www.si.com/nba/2016/12/20/nba-unicorn-power-rankings-kevin-durant-kristaps-porzingis
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#311 » by blueNorange » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:48 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:

When do all of these fancy superlatives translate to wins?

when the dark cloud is finally gone and it's a bright sun shiny day.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#312 » by blueNorange » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:49 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

"He can shoot, he can make the right plays, he can defend, and he’s a 7-footer that can shoot all the way out to the three-point line. That’s rare. And block shots—that’s like a unicorn in this league."

That's Kevin Durant describing Kristaps Porzingis in January of last year. That's how the revolution got its name. Because it's not just Porzingis. This is a movement that's sweeping the league as the by-product of both enlightened basketball philosophies and space-age genetics. Any given night in the NBA, there's a good chance you'll watch a big man with a mind-boggling combination of skills. Some of them are younger, and some are older players who have added to their games to keep up. Either way, we are living in the NBA's unicorn era.

https://www.si.com/nba/2016/12/20/nba-unicorn-power-rankings-kevin-durant-kristaps-porzingis

so brook lopez is a unicorn?
LOL Y U MAD THO?
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,811

Post#313 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:21 am

RHODEY wrote:
basketboule wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

KP is better than Mislap any day of the week.

I'm sure he isn't. He's just a better prospect. Also, he might nite ever become as good as Millsap.

better prospect better player

So a highlight reel is now proof for a false theory? Millsap would destroy him in a game tomorrow. No doubt.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,290

Post#314 » by RHODEY » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:20 am

basketboule wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
basketboule wrote:I'm sure he isn't. He's just a better prospect. Also, he might nite ever become as good as Millsap.

better prospect better player

So a highlight reel is now proof for a false theory? Millsap would destroy him in a game tomorrow. No doubt.

It's a visual reminder of reality. Enjoy your lonely delusion.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,342

Post#315 » by NoStatsGuy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:51 am

haha millsap might be a better player at the moment. KP will be more effective on the court than him for sure. also why you hatin on KP for an Hawks payer??????????????????? What has this board become i dont get it
im bout dat action boss
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#316 » by Nazrmohamed » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:05 am

Billy Goat wrote:
NYKnickerbocker wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:

It's just a coincidence that cousins is the leading shot taker on terrible teams.

I kindov see what you're trying to prove but in reality I think it proves something different entirely, something more institutional. More that the nba as an institution has created every rule to hurt teams and player that aims to dominate from the post. That Cousins could be doing what he does and it CANT equate to winning shows how much the nba has changed. And forget Cousins. Jokic? He'll never win. Both Gasols will never win again and yeah they are old anyway but its less about thier age than thier aging play style.

I listen to guys bash Kristaps Porzingis lack of post game and its crazy that I agree but if I were to actually give him advice Id tell him to ignore us cuz its only a matter of time where guys like him, Anderson and every C who wants to shoot threes and attempt cross over dribbles are the model to follow. In any case KP needs to get stronger but only to do what hes already doing.......with contact, not because he needs a new skillset. When you start doubting if Shaq would be a winning player in today's nba you gotta start asking if this is actually great basketball
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,149

Post#317 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:44 am

Melo's on his way up to 25th now that he's no longer a Knick
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,149

Post#318 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:46 am

blueNorange wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:lol yeah, that's why he's called the unicorn and not because he's 7'3" and running up and down like a wing :rofl:

so brook lopez is a unicorn?

I don't think so. If he was, Robin would be beating the sh*t out of him every day.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#319 » by Greenie » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:25 am

thebuzzardman wrote:Melo's on his way up to 25th now that he's no longer a Knick

Higher than that.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,811

Post#320 » by spree2kawhi » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:54 am

RottenApple wrote:haha millsap might be a better player at the moment. KP will be more effective on the court than him for sure. also why you hatin on KP for an Hawks payer??????????????????? What has this board become i dont get it

I'm not hating at all, just being realistic. Millsap is great, he's a four time all-star.
This ultimate-Knicks-only attitude is a very delusional attitude. KP is a great asset with great long-term value, but he's still not the defender, rebounder or shooter that Millsap is. Period.

Return to New York Knicks