ImageImageImageImageImage

ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA

Moderators: moocow007, magnumt, Capn'O, Knickstape1214, Thorn, King of Canada, GONYK, NoLayupRule, mrpoetryNmotion, Thugger HBC, Deeeez Knicks, j4remi

User avatar
K-DOT
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,362
And1: 3,219
Joined: Nov 25, 2016
       

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#101 » by K-DOT » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:01 am

KnicksJesus wrote:Would you guys take lonzo ball over melo rn??

I think Melo is the better player right now, but I'd rather have Lonzo/KP for the next decade than Melo/KP for a year
And as far as real friends, tell all my cousins I love 'em
Even the one that stole the laptop, you dirty motherf*cker
PeoplesChamp
Pro Prospect
Posts: 923
And1: 585
Joined: Feb 22, 2016

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#102 » by PeoplesChamp » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:03 am

Absolutely ridiculous.

They're thirsty for headlines.
PeoplesChamp
Pro Prospect
Posts: 923
And1: 585
Joined: Feb 22, 2016

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#103 » by PeoplesChamp » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:03 am

K-DOT wrote:
KnicksJesus wrote:Would you guys take lonzo ball over melo rn??

I think Melo is the better player right now, but I'd rather have Lonzo/KP for the next decade than Melo/KP for a year


That has everything to do with age and nothing to do with ranking.
PeoplesChamp
Pro Prospect
Posts: 923
And1: 585
Joined: Feb 22, 2016

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#104 » by PeoplesChamp » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:05 am

Melo's reaction is equally absurd. Played right into their hands.
DrCoach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,368
And1: 1,825
Joined: May 24, 2014

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#105 » by DrCoach » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:16 am

Are there 63 players I would rather have than 33 yr old Melo? Yes.

Are there 63 players better than Melo, No.
User avatar
louieOrr
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,679
And1: 443
Joined: Jun 20, 2010
         

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#106 » by louieOrr » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:23 am

Its almost amazing that ESPN would be willing to invalidate itself like this. Utter nonsense this is. Like they want to drive his value down or something. His reaction is corney and dramatic, but he is right about the blatant disrespect.
Image
User avatar
K-DOT
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,362
And1: 3,219
Joined: Nov 25, 2016
       

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#107 » by K-DOT » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:25 am

PeoplesChamp wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
KnicksJesus wrote:Would you guys take lonzo ball over melo rn??

I think Melo is the better player right now, but I'd rather have Lonzo/KP for the next decade than Melo/KP for a year


That has everything to do with age and nothing to do with ranking.

I know, I agree Ball shouldn't be higher than Melo right now, hell no rookies should be on there
And as far as real friends, tell all my cousins I love 'em
Even the one that stole the laptop, you dirty motherf*cker
User avatar
Sark
RealGM
Posts: 11,660
And1: 5,883
Joined: Sep 21, 2010
Location: Location: Location:
 

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#108 » by Sark » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:54 am

DrCoach wrote:Are there 63 players I would rather have than 33 yr old Melo? Yes.

Are there 63 players better than Melo, No.



This.

People don't know how to separate what he was from what he is.
Greenie: Disagree. I think Tatum is going to be better than KP. I don't know about DSjr.

viewtopic.php?p=53748100#p53748100
drekwins
Starter
Posts: 2,194
And1: 749
Joined: Jun 05, 2008
     

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#109 » by drekwins » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:26 am

xNewYorkMadex wrote:Melo has major flaws on the defensive end, only has average efficiency, and isnt as good as attacking and finishing at the rim like he used too. But theres now way there is 63 players better than Melo.

Put Melo as a 3rd option and he'll look much better.

Put Danny Green or Covington as the #1 option on the team and I bet their efficiency drastically dips. Bet they wont even be able to average 20 PPG.


The ranking isn't that bad IMO. Like you said, he's a negative on defense, no longer efficient and doesn't make others better... that's not a very valuable guy. With that said, Eric Gordon being ahead of him is a travesty. I'd say Covington as well. The others all have traits that make them arguably better.
User avatar
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,699
And1: 7,194
Joined: Aug 18, 2013

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#110 » by Bill Pidto » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:50 am

I hate ESPN, and I hate to sound like a Melo hater, but think about his for a minute. It's a lot like the NBA 2K ratings which people often get offended by...

Even though Lonzo has no NBA resume at all, when you look at of his overall skills and attributes as a player, he absolutely brings more to the table than Melo going into this season.

He has above average size for his position. Better quickness and speed. Much more athleticism and explosiveness. Better finisher by a landslide. Better defense. Better rebounder at his position. Better offensive awareness. Much better passer. Better ball handler. Better off-ball player, able to make sharp cuts and come off screens with conviction. Possibly a better 3-point shooter.

I mean, really... what does Melo bring to the table at this point? Still a solid one-on-one player in an era where team-work is cool again. Smh.

Dude still has some quick moves facing up. The jab-steps and fadeaways look really pretty when they're falling. His footwork in the post, and the tricky shots he can make from the post may still be elite. And Melo can shoot the ball, of course. But he's not a great enough shooter to put him far above Lonzo in a rating system like this. Because otherwise, Melo is slow. Has a tough time getting by defenders. Turns the ball over when he puts it on the floor. Doesn't move the ball. Doesn't cut. Doesn't run plays properly. Does not defend. And his efficiency is down. Rebounding, down.

This is why 2K rated KP higher than Melo. And if ESPN is using a similar rating system to make these rankings, then at the very least, I do agree that Lonzo >Melo.
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 41,346
And1: 13,414
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#111 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:58 am

louieOrr wrote:Its almost amazing that ESPN would be willing to invalidate itself like this. Utter nonsense this is. Like they want to drive his value down or something. His reaction is corney and dramatic, but he is right about the blatant disrespect.


I'm more angry that they're helping make Melo a martyr. Martyr Melo.
tuna108
Pro Prospect
Posts: 901
And1: 332
Joined: Jun 03, 2011

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#112 » by tuna108 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:40 am

NYKfan77 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
NYKfan77 wrote:Is it possible to delete my account so I stop logging onto this site? 95% of this board is unbearable now.


the board used to be bearable ?



I guess it use to be fun. Now it is just a drag but I keep logging on. So depressing to see the same people say the same thing over and over and over again no matter the players on the roster. I can turn away. If I deleted my account then I wouldn't have to log on anymore. LOL


Its the offseason, people are bored. It will get better in October
BasicBall
RealGM
Posts: 11,067
And1: 360
Joined: Jul 18, 2003

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#113 » by BasicBall » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:18 am

It's maddeningly ridiculous. The herd aka sheep mentality has struck again. Because the Knicks are a laughingstock and the franchise is a mess, it's easy to understand how they came to this conclusion. It's just wrong! I aint even seen the list and I know for a fact aint 40 players I'd take before Carmelo! You can hate the way Melo plays, you can hate how he holds the ball and doesn't seem to make his teammates better. But if any of you think KP would have developed the way he has you are mistaken. Having a BOSS offensive machine like Carmelo out there helped him immensely. S**T! Now I want him to stay because he's gonna be kind of motivated.
Don't raise your voice, improve your argument :nod:
User avatar
Are We Ther Yet
Veteran
Posts: 2,975
And1: 1,771
Joined: Nov 07, 2012
       

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#114 » by Are We Ther Yet » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:11 am

Where does Ryan Anderson rate?
User avatar
Are We Ther Yet
Veteran
Posts: 2,975
And1: 1,771
Joined: Nov 07, 2012
       

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#115 » by Are We Ther Yet » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:15 am

BasicBall wrote:It's maddeningly ridiculous. The herd aka sheep mentality has struck again. Because the Knicks are a laughingstock and the franchise is a mess, it's easy to understand how they came to this conclusion. It's just wrong! I aint even seen the list and I know for a fact aint 40 players I'd take before Carmelo! You can hate the way Melo plays, you can hate how he holds the ball and doesn't seem to make his teammates better. But if any of you think KP would have developed the way he has you are mistaken. Having a BOSS offensive machine like Carmelo out there helped him immensely. S**T! Now I want him to stay because he's gonna be kind of motivated.


Did you go to Syracuse?
dreamer3kx
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,726
And1: 611
Joined: Jan 14, 2011

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#116 » by dreamer3kx » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:26 am

Yea this is ridiculous but espn has been a joke for awhile and is getting worse.
User avatar
NoStatsGuy
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,710
And1: 388
Joined: Feb 14, 2010
Location: Germany
 

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#117 » by NoStatsGuy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:38 am

lonzo ball ahead of him.. wtf is this list :D :D

what do these guys smoke? hahaha
im bout dat action boss
User avatar
NoStatsGuy
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,710
And1: 388
Joined: Feb 14, 2010
Location: Germany
 

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#118 » by NoStatsGuy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:40 am

HarthorneWingo wrote::lol: Somebody's pissed.

http://bleacherreport.com/new-york-knicks




lmao at embiid tryna get KP to philly :lol: :lol:
im bout dat action boss
User avatar
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
Posts: 20,380
And1: 5,407
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: New York City the best city in the world
     

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#119 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:00 am

How you go from 31 to 64 when your season wasn't that bad?
A new era or error?
User avatar
FutureKnicksGM
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,596
And1: 725
Joined: Sep 26, 2005
Location: #TANKSQUAD
 

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#120 » by FutureKnicksGM » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:22 am

That is some Team Peyote level disrespect.

Dude still falls somewhere between 30-35. Not a number #1 but a good #2 & a great #3. Especially if plays the 4.
Knicksfan1992 wrote:Lopez isn't better than Noah

Return to New York Knicks