ImageImageImageImageImage

ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#261 » by Greenie » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:35 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
jstudabaka wrote:Wow, I took at the rest of the list -- and I have to say, as big of a joke Melo at #64 is, Kristaps at #22 is an even bigger joke. Nothing against the kid, but ranking him above established stars who've accomplished a lot like Paul Milsap, Marc Gasol, and even friggin'' Blake Griffin and Kyrie Irving tells me some sorry little stat geek with no basketball acumen put this together. Kristaps has never even faced defenses keying on him as the #1 option. Totally absurd.

The stat geeks are actually down on Porzingis. Just because he looks smooth for a 7 footer and he can dribble, doesn't necessarily mean he's making a super positive impact.

Why is he ranked at 22 then?
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer
And1: 681

Post#262 » by jstudabaka » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:37 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
jstudabaka wrote:Wow, I took at the rest of the list -- and I have to say, as big of a joke Melo at #64 is, Kristaps at #22 is an even bigger joke. Nothing against the kid, but ranking him above established stars who've accomplished a lot like Paul Milsap, Marc Gasol, and even friggin'' Blake Griffin and Kyrie Irving tells me some sorry little stat geek with no basketball acumen put this together. Kristaps has never even faced defenses keying on him as the #1 option. Totally absurd.

The stat geeks are actually down on Porzingis. Just because he looks smooth for a 7 footer and he can dribble, doesn't necessarily mean he's making a super positive impact.

It wouldn't surprise me if the stats didn't bear him out as a great or even good player at this point. I mean, this has been a bad team with him on the floor. He still fouls too much on defense, he isn't much of a passer, and his offensive game is very inconsistent. I mean sure, the potential is tantalizing, but he has in no way "arrived" as the kind of player you'd put above some of the NBA's legit big guns.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,610

Post#263 » by Billy Goat » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:46 pm

Greenie wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:

Why is he ranked at 22 then?

Hype/projections. Espn isn't really stat geeks though.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,064

Post#264 » by RHODEY » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:51 pm

KP is better than Mislap any day of the week.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#265 » by dakomish23 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:26 pm

Read on Twitter
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,648

Post#266 » by nedleeds » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:44 pm

He'd be lower if the rankings were based on cap impact / salary to production.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Post#267 » by Phish Tank » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:01 pm

so what is ESPN using to rank these players? Stats? Perception?
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 28,569

Post#268 » by Fat Kat » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:09 pm

Phish Tank wrote:so what is ESPN using to rank these players? Stats? Perception?

Clicks and controversy
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
sushibear
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,984

Post#269 » by sushibear » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:28 am

blueNorange wrote:the only thing i think of is that melo's declining not being accepted by some is because that means that melo stans themselves are now old. the idea of melo still being one of the leagues best is a nostalgic memory you all have because it reminds you when you were young and saw prime melo, but now he's declining and some refuse to accept it because it means they have to accept that they too are old.

getting old sucks, and life is a rollercoaster baby but it is what it is.

blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#270 » by blueNorange » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:55 am

3toheadmelo wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: this isn't a "stock ranking"
if it was, then explain why fultz is #86, but lonzo is #63

yall will say the dumbest things just to make it suit your agenda. ridiculous

one player is talked about being a generational talent, and the other is markelle fultz.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Swoosh_Stripes
Pro Prospect
And1: 238

Post#271 » by Swoosh_Stripes » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:23 am

blueNorange wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: this isn't a "stock ranking"
if it was, then explain why fultz is #86, but lonzo is #63

yall will say the dumbest things just to make it suit your agenda. ridiculous

one player is talked about being a generational talent, and the other is markelle fultz.

If it was about stock then CP3 wouldn't be #6, they ranked based on projected RPM using the ESPN model.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,758

Post#272 » by spree2kawhi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:29 am

RHODEY wrote:

KP is better than Mislap any day of the week.

I'm sure he isn't. He's just a better prospect. Also, he might nite ever become as good as Millsap.
battabing10
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#273 » by battabing10 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:32 am

blueNorange wrote:
br7knicks wrote:i'd understand it more if they didn't have harden in the top 10; this would've shown me they're taking defense into account a bit more.

while melo is on the down slope, he's still putting up prime player numbers, and it's a joke that a **** rookie, who has yet to play a **** minute in the NBA, is ranked higher than him.

he hasn't played a minute. he shouldn't be in the top 500 players in the NBA because he hasn't **** played in the NBA yet. **** joke. but that's ESPN for you.

i don't miss ESPN. and i'm glad they're doing poorly, financially. **** ESPN, **** Disney

player rankings. player rankings.

espn isn't saying that lonzo ball is better than melo, espn is saying that lonzo ball's stock is higher than melo's which is indeed true. everyone is looking forward to what lonzo ball puts up this year, noone cares what season melo puts up because everyone knows it'll be hollow stats.

if lakers knock on the door saying we'll give you ball for melo, everyone says yes without batting an eye.

ball's stock is high, as it should be and melo's stock is low, as it should be(he stanks)

"Rankings" with the connotation of "stock" is an excellent way to look at the matter. It's a combination of past performance and future potential, resulting in a perceived value. As simple as that formula is, I'm not sure how many people can comprehend it. By my calculations he should be "ranked" between 48-53rd. So from that point of view I understand why the 64th place is insulting. He shouldn't be ranked 11-16 slots lower than that positions. Nonetheless a dropoff of 15-25 slots is in a reasonable range based on his ranking the prior two seasons. Can anyone reasonably expect him to turn back the clock a few seasons? :roll:
battabing10
Rookie

Post#274 » by battabing10 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:39 am

Billy Goat wrote:
Hemispheres wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
Yeah I do get the sense that this is a potential (realized) danger.

His confidence which he was lauded for when he was drafted is now a "danger". Some of y'all Knicks fans are too much.

Kids a confident, outgoing, extrovert which seems to rub some people the wrong way. He's been that way since draft night 2015 which is how he handled the chorus of boos from the dummies at the draft like a champ.

KP is still super humble in every interview and his work ethic hasn't shown even a hint of slowing down.

Save the chit about his dangerous ego for the Phil Files. Rosen will have you covered. :lol: :banghead:

His efficiency (or lack thereof) and his **** rebounding is the real danger. But hey, he's 7 feet and can do a crossover- that's all that matters!

His efficiency is not bad and improved over his rookie year even with having to be dragged down by the likes of Rose. And rebounding numbers can be deceiving if a player actually is boxing out. I want to see more assists and playmaking for others.
Billy Goat
Analyst

Post#275 » by Billy Goat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:47 pm

battabing10 wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:
Hemispheres wrote:

His confidence which he was lauded for when he was drafted is now a "danger". Some of y'all Knicks fans are too much.

Kids a confident, outgoing, extrovert which seems to rub some people the wrong way. He's been that way since draft night 2015 which is how he handled the chorus of boos from the dummies at the draft like a champ.

KP is still super humble in every interview and his work ethic hasn't shown even a hint of slowing down.

Save the chit about his dangerous ego for the Phil Files. Rosen will have you covered. :lol: :banghead:

His efficiency (or lack thereof) and his **** rebounding is the real danger. But hey, he's 7 feet and can do a crossover- that's all that matters!

His efficiency is not bad and improved over his rookie year even with having to be dragged down by the likes of Rose. And rebounding numbers can be deceiving if a player actually is boxing out. I want to see more assists and playmaking for others.

For a guy who's 7 feet it's not good.
battabing10
Rookie

Post#276 » by battabing10 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
battabing10 wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:

He's guarding stretch 4s. He's been screwed by having to close out on them after getting sucked in to take up the defensive slack of Rose and Melo. He can't be in two places at once and is often in no mans land.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#277 » by whocares1 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:02 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
battabing10 wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:

KP isnt your typical 7 footer. He has a wing's game in a center's body so his efficiency should be judged at 45% and not 55%+ especially with the amount of three pointers he takes.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Post#278 » by Phish Tank » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:36 pm

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20728069/kevin-pelton-weekly-mailbag-including-carmelo-anthony-superstars-more

I knew this stat nerd was behind this ranking. He's been hating the Knicks for years
Billy Goat
Analyst

Post#279 » by Billy Goat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:34 pm

whocares1 wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:
battabing10 wrote:

KP isnt your typical 7 footer. He has a wing's game in a center's body so his efficiency should be judged at 45% and not 55%+ especially with the amount of three pointers he takes.

Having a wings game in a centers body means what exactly? If you're not getting efficiency from one of your main shot takers it makes no difference how tall he is.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#280 » by blueNorange » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:36 pm

Phish Tank wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20728069/kevin-pelton-weekly-mailbag-including-carmelo-anthony-superstars-more

I knew this stat nerd was behind this ranking. He's been hating the Knicks for years

lol there's no knick hate, melo is just declining.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.

Return to New York Knicks