ImageImageImageImageImage

2017/2018 NBA Trade/Wishing Well Thread (Cont.)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Who's Your Daddy?!

Capn'O
35%
DK
6%
KoC
3%
NLR
6%
GONYK
15%
Moocow
12%
Remi
6%
KT
15%
Thorn
No votes
Thugger
3%

Total votes: 34

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Re: 2017/2018 NBA Trade/Wishing Well Thread (Cont.) 

Post#1921 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue May 8, 2018 8:17 pm

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:
Spoiler:
TRADE:
Noah and Dot to Memphis
For Chandler Parsons and a heavily protected future second round pick

Trade Courtney Lee to NOLA
For Chieck Diallo and Alexi Ajinca
Move Ajinca to a third team Ike the Spurs that need big man depth. Or waive him as he’s an expiring.

DRAFT:
#9 Miles Bridges
Positionless.
I like Mikal here too but I doubt he’s there for us.
Things are too static from afar 7-21 in this draft to not think there could be a few trades either in or out of around where we’re picking. He (Mikal) and Carter are guys I could see a contender trading for as they could probably help a contender from day one. I think Miles (who’s front row at all these Lebron playoff games) is a really good get for a Fiz team that emphasizes what he preaches in versatility and adapting to modern basketball concepts regarding guards, wings and post players.

I know FOE doesn’t buy in to it and his arguments about Miles lack of length are valid but there are guys with these great wingspans and length for their positions that are as wretched defenders as you can find so I don’t see it all in a vacuum regarding Miles at the four. Heck, we could always acquire vet length to spell him or push him down to the three at spurts but I think he can be an effective power forward on this team. Most fours today are threes in terms of game anyway. Kevin Durant? Nobody’s length bothers him regardless of postition.
Best defender I seen on KP is a 6’4” Marcus Smart so....

Melo, for instance, is a guy that has great length for a three man. He’s always been most effective and efficient as a four but has never distinguished himself on the defensive side of the basketball at either. I’m not picking on him, he’s a future HOF’er. But there are a lot of them. Our own Mudiay, Tim and Beas aren’t exactly what you’d call stumpy for their respective positions and they’re all pretty mediocre defenders, being kind. Lee may be our second best defender and while I ain’t got numbers to back it up, he seems awfully smallish for his position. It’s never really hurt him because he’s quick laterally, he’s been well coached and he’s willing.

Half of individual defensive effectiveness, from my vantage is just the ability (and willingness) to move your feet and use your physicality whatever it may be as an NBA caliber athlete which they all are. He’s a strong kid. Not exactly a tap dancer but he’s quick enough to sick on stretch fours if we’re solid everywhere else and have a game plan on defense. That extra two inches (pause) don’t mean a thing if you ain’t willing to give effort with confidence you can stop the other guy with the appropriate pride/help ratio.

If we traded for a guy like Chandler Parsons and he’s healthy (I know, big if) and he starts is he a three or a four? When healthy he’s a pretty good and versatile 6’10” defender (another example of a guy who lacks ideal wingspan but is unhindered by it). He and Miles in theory would compliment each other on both sides if the perimeter (Frank) point of attack defense is solid and we have rim protection (KP, Kornet, KO, Diallo?).

Miles is so a Pat Riley type: physical specimen, real work ethic, versatility, willingness to compete. I spoke before also about the excitability factor and I think it matters. I’m not talking about Nate Robinson hulking and posing after a meaningless breakaway dunk with when we’re down 23 in the fourth quarter type excitability. Nothing empty or disrespectful to the game. But when that dude gets the ball on the elbow for the first time on the Garden floor, it’ll mean a whole lot to see his mentality, nerves and all. Is he gonna attack? He turns the ball over on a drive to the rim, I’m encouraged. But say he gets it and hot potato passes in to Tim who’s near the sidelines, Tim drives on the baseline and gets fouled, we score two? I’ll be low key disappointed lol.

What we DON’T need is passivity. I don’t want a guy who’s staying out of the way of a Tim Hardaway Jr. on a likely lotto bound team. Not where we stand in the rebuild. Not with the growing KP concerns. We need people to notice us for some on the court basketball stuff. It’s still bread and opera at the end of the day.

The team is veeerrry station to station as we don’t have that AGGRESSIVE electric athlete without KP (who’s not exactly consistently frothing at the mouth intense himself) that can go get it on his own to inspire his teammates on offense and defense with his individual talent; again it matters for us. We had one in Melo for sure. We had one in Stat. Flawed. Yeah. And this guy likely won’t be as prolific offensively as either but we can do him the favor of instilling some sound habits to go with the highlight film/mixtape worthiness. He’s shown a real willingness to work and get better. Accountability is supposed to be a thing here going forward so I don’t expect foolishness. Izzo guys professionallly scrap. He had two years there. This kid is Flint tough. The Garden will love him and this team NEEDS the Garden’s love.

He’s young enough that we can work on his flaws and make him effective anywhere from 2-5 in THIS NBA.

I was a Frank guy last year.
I’m a big, big believer in him. This year?
We NEED the “Dennis Smith type” pick. Don’t kill me.
We can’t go all abstract with it. Creative yes but the fans need to believe. We don’t need the purist’s pick this go round. As much as we need substance, we need....a little jazz. A hook. I hesitate saying the “Donovan Mitchell type...” because nobody REALLY saw THAT coming. But shoot, yeah. THAT guy. the eye test guy. Our rook NEEDS to be in the ROY convo.
He NEEDS to average double digits.
For Scott, Mills and Fiz. For KP too.

#37 options I’d consider:
Isaac Bonga: 6’10” pgs don’t grow on trees

Rawle Alkins: might be Lance might be Dom Jones

Kostas Ante: genes, he’s as long as and a better shooter than his brother...but yeah, genes. The long play recruitment tool as well.

Grayson Allen: no way he falls this far but if he does...

Jared Vanderbilt: see Grayson

DEVELOPMENT GOALS:
KP: get right. Oh, and you’re gonna play center. Mmkay? Later gator.

Frank: get stronger and play a lotta ball, channel your inner Kobe. Be selfish cuz I know selfless comes easy. Work on your English too. Continue getting used to making NYC home.

Tim: I trust you in the summer. Keep working with Wade and Harden and all the elite guys you have access to. Lead. Bring guys together off the court.

Mudiay: get in touch with Dipo’s or Julius Randle’s conditioning guy. Ask him to push you past their and your limit. Take a zillion jump shots and ten zillion lay ups a day.

Burke: study comparably sized floor generals that have succeeded running the show. Work on expanding that range. I trust you know what you have to do. Keep doing what you’ve been doing this year. I expect you to come back an even better leader this year. Body language and all that.

Twilliams: shoot all summer and keep working on your handle. Also keep getting in shape. You’re gonna play more minutes than you ever have.

Enes: not part of the long term vision without a massive pay cut which it isn’t fair we press you to take. Find a team that wants you and we’ll trade you a la CP3 to Houston. If you are back with us, work on your mobility on defense and your range. You’ll likely be a bench player going forward so align your decisions concerning the opt out clause appropriately. But if you stay, I need threes, defense and you continuing the great work you put into your body, post work and footwork. But I’d look at a team like Atlanta and see if we could get a Deandre Bembry or a similar tiered (lesser) return just to get the roster spot and cap relief. Maybe even Toronto as they need a guy not scared of Lebron in the worst way. Don’t know how but I’m gonna find a deal that doesn’t hurt our flexibility.

Beas and Kyle: go play your primes somewhere you can win.

Kornet: get stronger and get work on shooting like every game is against the Raptors.

Baker: get right. If you don’t kill (if healthy) in summer league or training camp I’m not sure there’s a place here. Jeff ain’t here to save you lol. If you opt to show up and play in SL I’ll be impressed on the low. You’ve gotta earn it this year....early.

Lance: lose some weight. Work on your game. That ugly basketball ish ain’t gonna fly here. We love the hustle and effort but we need that effort in the summer to become a better ballplayer. Tangibles do mean something too. We’ll likely look to move you to a better situation as your minutes will be severely cut this year.

I’m not impressed with Dot. Sorry.
I wanted to be but I don’t see it. I’d move him.
For a mature prospect he looked scared of the stage.
I’d look to move him with Noah’s money because as the Knicks Knick it couldn’t ever be just a bad contract for bad contract type swap. Nobody helps us. Let them (Memphis) think they fleeced us cuz this kid (Dot) had a few good games to end the season.

Cheap signings:
Terrence Jones: is an NBA rotation guy
Christian Wood: intriguing big upside
Mario Chalmers: get coach a guy he knows well who he’ll predictably play too much for out liking. New Jarrett of sorts.

We will be (mostly) young and we will lose.
We will stick to our principles and adapt as we collectively can. We will work. And we will lose.

Diallo/Kornet/KP (see you in March)
Bridges/Jones/Wood
Williams/Bonga/Lance
Tim/Mudiay/Baker (Bembry?)
Burke/Frank/Chalmers

22 wins.

Hell of a post. Damn.

I want to start off by saying I'm not against Miles. I'm against the idea he's a 4. I think he's a combo forward through and through with the positives and negatives of that stereotype. Can he play some 4, absolutely, but to me it's going to be like a TJ Warren / Jae Crowder (before this year) in terms of split. Most teams are still starting guys with size.

Under no circumstance should the Knicks trade for Parsons. None. Have you seen his contract? It goes until the same year as Noah's, but he's getting paid 6 million MORE! IMO, Dotson has more value than Parsons at the moment. Dead serious. Betting on someone who has played 70 games over the last two seasons is a recipe for failure. I understand you're going with the positionless basketball idea, but you don't want his salary on the books unless you're getting back an unprotected first.

I'm happy to see another guy on the Grayson bandwagon. Been a fan of his since he was a freshman. He competes, has an all around offensive game, and he plays with a "**** you" attitude which I think is great. Not a fan of Kostas at all. I watched a few of his games this year to try to understand why people like him, but he makes Thon Maker look like LeBron James in terms of talent. Kostas needs work...from the ground up...badly.

I like the idea of going with the under the radar guys with FA. Not sure I'd want Wood or Jones, but I do like the thinking. If I'm Perry, I'm also looking to trade for deals that expire in 19-20 BUT taking on picks with them.

Diallo is another guy who I think is worth a flier, but he too needs a lot of skill work (and needs to get stronger). Also, I'm starting Frank over Burke, Jones at the 4, and Bridges at the 3.

Even though I disagree with some points, definitely a well thought out post.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#1922 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Tue May 8, 2018 8:42 pm

The dollar amount only effects Dolan (regarding Parsons). The length is the same and both guys could use a change of scenery. Both are bad contracts. We could toss Deng and Moz into that bad contract mix as well. We just want to remove Jo from the equation.
But yeah man, I’m ready to see the vison going forward.
I like a lot of what was said (and not said) today at Fiz’s presser.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#1923 » by Knicksfan20 » Tue May 8, 2018 8:45 pm

Grayson looks Like a pretty boy but he’s a thug at heart. He’s a Jacksonville dude. I am a big fan of Grayson tbh. I’d love him if he dropped to the 2nd but he’ll be taken in the late first for sure. I can see him excelling with the spurs.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#1924 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Tue May 8, 2018 8:48 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:Grayson looks Like a pretty boy but he’s a thug at heart. He’s a Jacksonville dude. I am a big fan of Grayson tbh. I’d love him if he dropped to the 2nd but he’ll be taken in the late first for sure. I can see him excelling with the spurs.

He’s a low down dirty SOB. And I like it. And he’s skilled.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#1925 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue May 8, 2018 8:48 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:Grayson looks Like a pretty boy but he’s a thug at heart. He’s a Jacksonville dude. I am a big fan of Grayson tbh. I’d love him if he dropped to the 2nd but he’ll be taken in the late first for sure. I can see him excelling with the spurs.

I'd love to see him with the Warriors.
Triple C
Knicks Forum The Good News
And1: 16,840

Post#1926 » by Triple C » Wed May 9, 2018 1:25 am

Read on Twitter
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 4,027

Post#1927 » by Besart19 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:40 am

Porzingis / Ewing
Randle / Johnson
Mikal / Sprewell
Klay / Houston
Ntilikina / Ward

Porzingis / Ewing
Bridges / Johnson
Leonard / Sprewell
Thompson / Houston
Ntilikina / Ward

Fizdale / Van Gundy (Both Baba O'Riley Band)
Strength and Honour!
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#1928 » by malik959 » Thu May 10, 2018 1:53 pm

Besart19 wrote:Porzingis / Ewing
Randle / Johnson
Mikal / Sprewell
Klay / Houston
Ntilikina / Ward

Porzingis / Ewing
Bridges / Johnson
Leonard / Sprewell
Thompson / Houston
Ntilikina / Ward

How are we getting Leonard in this without giving up KP or our pick?
Besart19
RealGM

Post#1929 » by Besart19 » Thu May 10, 2018 2:12 pm

malik959 wrote:
Randle / Johnson
Mikal / Sprewell
Klay / Houston
Ntilikina / Ward

Porzingis / Ewing
Bridges / Johnson
Leonard / Sprewell
Thompson / Houston
Ntilikina / Ward

How are we getting Leonard in this without giving up KP or our pick?

2019 free agency
Strength and Honour!
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#1930 » by NYKHardKnock » Thu May 10, 2018 8:31 pm

I would be willing to deal KP if we could win the lottery, which is not happening because our odds are so small.

But if lightening strikes the Knicks and we do. Something like..

Kristaps Porzingis + Courtney Lee + Bulls 2nd Round pick to SA for Kawhi Leonard

And the Knicks finish with the 3rd pick and select Marvin Bagley.

Hassan Whiteside for Tim Hardaway Jr. + Lance Thomas

Find a way to sign Mario Hezonja

Start Lineup:
G:Frank Ntilikina
G:Mario Hezonja
F:Kawhi Leonard
F:Marvin Bagley
C:Hassan Whiteside

6th MAN:Trey Burke
Then find ways to distribute minutes to KOQ/Noah/Mudiay/Dotson/TWill

Idk could Tim + LT for Hassan be a fair deal?
SARGO127
General Manager
And1: 3,077

Post#1931 » by SARGO127 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:02 am

I hope Kanter opts in and we deal him a minute later.
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#1932 » by Jose7 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:57 am

courtney lee trade ideas anybody?solid fringe starter or 6th man on a playoff team.

would take an expiring and a second..or a young guy with bird rights..
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#1933 » by newyorker4ever » Fri May 11, 2018 1:20 am

https://dailyknicks.com/2018/05/10/knicks-rumors-new-york-expected-use-stretch-provision-joakim-noah/

Joakim Noah is attempting to build a relationship with New York Knicks head coach David Fizdale, but it’s expected that he’ll be bought out.
The New York Knicks are in the midst of an offseason that will challenge the front office’s knowledge of how to build a contender. Scott Perry and Steve Mills are already off to an excellent start having hired David Fizdale as head coach.

Perhaps the biggest decision that the Knicks will make this offseason, however, is the one that pertains to center Joakim Noah.

Noah has two seasons and $37,825,000 remaining on his polarizing contract. With minimal value on the court, however, Noah has become a buyout candidate for New York to consider as the 2018-19 regular season nears.

According to Marc Berman of The New York Post, the Knicks have their eye on September 1 as the date on which they can part with Noah.

Sources indicate the likeliest scenario still is Noah becoming a stretch-provision waiver at the Sept. 1 landmark date — as first reported by The Post. Waiting until Sept. 1 would enable the Knicks to maximize their salary-cap savings while not having Noah’s $72 million deal strangle their cap for too many years.

This has been reported in the past, but it appears as though the Knicks aren’t allowing a new head coach to change their view of Noah.

Noah was brought to New York to be a locker room leader and a defensive anchor. That belief was based on the fact that he won the 2014 Defensive Player of the Year award, was an All-NBA First Team honoree, and helped lead the Chicago Bulls to multiple postseason appearances.

Unfortunately, Noah’s career has been derailed by injuries, a 20-game suspension for violating the NBA’s anti-drug policy, and a public clash with Jeff Hornacek.

Hornacek may be out as head coach, but the Knicks aren’t exactly excited about the possibility of paying Noah nearly $19 million per season through 2019-20.

Before New York utilizes the stretch provision to part ways with Noah, it will look to trade him. The market is dry in the short-term, but if the Knicks can provide some sort of compensation, it’s possible that a deal could be orchestrated.

It appears far more likely that the stretch provision will be utilized, however, thus creating a lighter, albeit longer, financial blow.

The question is: Will the New York Knicks be able to trade Joakim Noah before having to stretch his contract?
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,826

Post#1934 » by spree2kawhi » Fri May 11, 2018 8:48 am

Would you trade KP for three of the Boston young guys? Who says no?

Rozier, Frank, Brown, Tatum, O'Quinn

Kyrie, Smart, Hayward, KP, Horford
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,041

Post#1935 » by Reign23 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:44 am

basketboule wrote:Would you trade KP for three of the Boston young guys? Who says no?

you saying that boston would deal tatum, brown AND rozier for kp? yes I would in a heartbeat, but I doubt that ainge would trade tatum alone for kp now.
formerly known as knickst4pe
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,826

Post#1936 » by spree2kawhi » Fri May 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Reign23 wrote:
basketboule wrote:Would you trade KP for three of the Boston young guys? Who says no?

you saying that boston would deal tatum, brown AND rozier for kp? yes I would in a heartbeat, but I doubt that ainge would trade tatum alone for kp now.

Their line-up looks like a contender then. I know what you mean, but KP is more of an instant difference maker, while our team needs a lot more foundational pieces to begin with.

EDIT: When you think about it, the Celtics might really come asking. It makes a lot of sense for them.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,589

Post#1937 » by Meat » Fri May 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Randle / Johnson
Mikal / Sprewell
Klay / Houston
Ntilikina / Ward

Porzingis / Ewing
Bridges / Johnson
Leonard / Sprewell
Thompson / Houston
Ntilikina / Ward

why try to recreate a team that wasnt good enough to win a ring?
Besart19
RealGM

Post#1938 » by Besart19 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Meat wrote:
Randle / Johnson
Mikal / Sprewell
Klay / Houston
Ntilikina / Ward

Porzingis / Ewing
Bridges / Johnson
Leonard / Sprewell
Thompson / Houston
Ntilikina / Ward

why try to recreate a team that wasnt good enough to win a ring?

Unhealthy, a bit old and no bench at all.
Strength and Honour!
Multipe Sources
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#1939 » by Multipe Sources » Fri May 11, 2018 3:34 pm

Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

Even with this weird free agency coming up where it seems like there are more players than teams with capspace, I see no way O'Quinn doesn't opt out.

I hope we can convince him to take a big 1 year deal with us, I think it works for both sides. He deserves a pay raise, but unfortunately, he's a FA in a seemingly tight cap space year. I feel like he's an MLE level player, but he might struggle to get it this summer.
Multipe Sources
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#1940 » by Multipe Sources » Fri May 11, 2018 3:39 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:https://dailyknicks.com/2018/05/10/knicks-rumors-new-york-expected-use-stretch-provision-joakim-noah/

Joakim Noah is attempting to build a relationship with New York Knicks head coach David Fizdale, but it’s expected that he’ll be bought out.
The New York Knicks are in the midst of an offseason that will challenge the front office’s knowledge of how to build a contender. Scott Perry and Steve Mills are already off to an excellent start having hired David Fizdale as head coach.

Perhaps the biggest decision that the Knicks will make this offseason, however, is the one that pertains to center Joakim Noah.

Noah has two seasons and $37,825,000 remaining on his polarizing contract. With minimal value on the court, however, Noah has become a buyout candidate for New York to consider as the 2018-19 regular season nears.

According to Marc Berman of The New York Post, the Knicks have their eye on September 1 as the date on which they can part with Noah.

Sources indicate the likeliest scenario still is Noah becoming a stretch-provision waiver at the Sept. 1 landmark date — as first reported by The Post. Waiting until Sept. 1 would enable the Knicks to maximize their salary-cap savings while not having Noah’s $72 million deal strangle their cap for too many years.

This has been reported in the past, but it appears as though the Knicks aren’t allowing a new head coach to change their view of Noah.

Noah was brought to New York to be a locker room leader and a defensive anchor. That belief was based on the fact that he won the 2014 Defensive Player of the Year award, was an All-NBA First Team honoree, and helped lead the Chicago Bulls to multiple postseason appearances.

Unfortunately, Noah’s career has been derailed by injuries, a 20-game suspension for violating the NBA’s anti-drug policy, and a public clash with Jeff Hornacek.

Hornacek may be out as head coach, but the Knicks aren’t exactly excited about the possibility of paying Noah nearly $19 million per season through 2019-20.

Before New York utilizes the stretch provision to part ways with Noah, it will look to trade him. The market is dry in the short-term, but if the Knicks can provide some sort of compensation, it’s possible that a deal could be orchestrated.

It appears far more likely that the stretch provision will be utilized, however, thus creating a lighter, albeit longer, financial blow.

The question is: Will the New York Knicks be able to trade Joakim Noah before having to stretch his contract?

Unless they feel that Noah is a legit bad influence on our young guys and potentially a cancer, I see no point in not at least trying to let Fizdale coach him. Odds are that Fizdale will be lucky to turn him into a 20 mpg bench player at this point... but it's a worth shot considering we have to pay him anyways and might actually need someone to play C.

As long as he's not a bad influence or actively taking minutes from young guys who deserve it (which would be more on the coach than Noah), I think we should keep him on the roster until like February... and then make that decision.

Now if he's willing to give some money back so he can go start a season with another team, then that's a different story- but I don't suspect that will happen.

Return to New York Knicks