ImageImageImageImageImage

Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,323

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1481 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:30 am

vaff87 wrote:
Zingod wrote:From Raptors board
vaff87 wrote:Knicks be like:

Spoiler:

:oops:

Nah. That was only a joke. I saw that picture before, and wanted to fit it into this situation. Wasn’t meant as a shot at Knicks fans or Porzingis.

I believe you :wink:
ImageImageImage
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1482 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:31 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Instead of his ankle betraying his entire season, it's his elbow. He'll play through it and never look as good as he did the first 14 games.

He's like the modern Bernard King/what if player, except he mostly stays on the court.

We'll always have the start of this season though, where we can all say "You should have seen it, he looked like a 30 ppg scorer, but then all the other teams threw him around, he was ultimately too skinny to take it and was only "ok" the rest of the year"

So far, 3/3 in years of KP's career where he starts off really really well, gets dinged up and goes from "really good/excellent" to "good"

Wow, you are a ray of sunshine, aren't you? Why don't you retire him already, while you are at it?

:D
Truth hurts though.

Mark my words, said it in the game thread. He'll look "good" but not "great" from here on out. EVERY year so far, KP starts out hot, gets dinged up/fatigued and his effort drops a bit and his shot stops falling consistently and also he starts to drift a bit in general on the court. It happened sooner this year because of Eurobasket.

He'll have the random "big game" but they'll be 10 games apart - like last year. He'll score more than last year because of shot volume - good player on bad team effect.

Maybe they can shut him down for 3 weeks and he has another resurgence. I don't have any answers in that regard. Either he lacks energy or having a SF playing style in a 7'3" skinny body is really prone to going off the rails with minor injuries because of the physical mechanics of a player that tall. Like a tall guy hitting a baseball (Judge) vs an average height guy.

You may be right, you may be wrong, but either way you're hanging with the bats in the belfry.
ImageImageImage
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,383

Post#1483 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:24 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:Wow, you are a ray of sunshine, aren't you? Why don't you retire him already, while you are at it?

Truth hurts though.

Mark my words, said it in the game thread. He'll look "good" but not "great" from here on out. EVERY year so far, KP starts out hot, gets dinged up/fatigued and his effort drops a bit and his shot stops falling consistently and also he starts to drift a bit in general on the court. It happened sooner this year because of Eurobasket.

He'll have the random "big game" but they'll be 10 games apart - like last year. He'll score more than last year because of shot volume - good player on bad team effect.

Maybe they can shut him down for 3 weeks and he has another resurgence. I don't have any answers in that regard. Either he lacks energy or having a SF playing style in a 7'3" skinny body is really prone to going off the rails with minor injuries because of the physical mechanics of a player that tall. Like a tall guy hitting a baseball (Judge) vs an average height guy.

You may be right, you may be wrong, but either way you're hanging with the bats in the belfry.

Not really. It's disappointing this same thing has happened to KP each year. What's worse is that he proved he can be a #1 option, if he stays healthy. The 2nd part is starting to seem elusive. No, he's not the sort of player missing 30 games a year, but starting to feel like he gets banged up (all players do) and it takes a considerable toll on his game. It's early in his career yet, this could just be an injury, but it seems like the first two years, just earlier. Which would make sense considering all the basketball he's played since the summer.
Hmm. Wasn't it possibly a thing that he skipped the exit meeting because he didn't want to get talked out of playing for his national team? I mean, I'm glad he did, but maybe this is the end result. Which would be fine - Knicks need another player badly and the higher pick would help.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,690

Post#1484 » by Johnny Firpo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:00 pm

Or maybe we should wait to see if this is not merely a mini slump. He worked extremely hard all summer, it would shock me if this would be fitness related. Smaller, nagging injuries could be possible I guess, but again, we should wait and see, not writing him off instantly. We all knew he was not going to average 30 PPG.
sushibear
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,984

Post#1485 » by sushibear » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:26 pm

Can anyone tell me why Kp only has 13 points vs the raptors. I couldn't watch the game cuz of my new job and I don't watch highlights when the team loses.
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#1486 » by ChaosHamster » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:28 pm

sushibear wrote:Can anyone tell me why Kp only has 13 points vs the raptors. I couldn't watch the game cuz of my new job and I don't watch highlights when the team loses.

Traded for Melo right before the game, and he took all his shots.
Zingod
Rookie
And1: 895

Post#1487 » by Zingod » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:35 pm

sushibear wrote:Can anyone tell me why Kp only has 13 points vs the raptors. I couldn't watch the game cuz of my new job and I don't watch highlights when the team loses.

Because white jump shooting euros don't succeed in Toronto.

Ask Andrea Bargnani or Hedo Turkeyglue.
MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Post#1488 » by MrOrange » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:12 pm

Zingod wrote:

U troll or there is something wrong with you?
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1489 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:41 pm

He was getting overplayed on defense, which has always worked. Then Toronto overplayed him AND was physical (look for every team to do this from now on out - started with Cleveland). So, he'd probably have had a "Utah or Cleveland" level game, but then KP was extremely lethargic, not challenging on D, standing around some of offense, letting himself get pushed out for 3 point line post ups etc.

I'm pretty sure the no name guy guarding him isn't some hidden all planet defender so there is some explanation behind KP's lethargy. Feel free to chose amongst the offerings of "Mini slump", "Hit a Wall from Eurobasket", "Injury", "Anemia", "Injury + Anemia", "Injury, + Anemia + Eurobasket wall" and so on.
Zingod
Rookie

Post#1490 » by Zingod » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:56 pm

MrOrange wrote:
Zingod wrote:

U troll or there is something wrong with you?
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#1491 » by Yankeeknickfan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:09 pm

Raptors being a rest day, would've been perfect. 3 days off. Now he has to play until our next win.
Imageceltics
Zingod
Rookie

Post#1492 » by Zingod » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Yankeeknickfan wrote:Raptors being a rest day, would've been perfect. 3 days off. Now he has to play until our next win.

Sitting him out @ Orlando was a wise decision, he dropped 34 next game.

Like i said before, sit him out for every other road game because he and this team suck on road anyway, more often than not. Fresh Porzingis is unstoppable at MSG.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1493 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:29 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Truth hurts though.

Not really. It's disappointing this same thing has happened to KP each year. What's worse is that he proved he can be a #1 option, if he stays healthy. The 2nd part is starting to seem elusive. No, he's not the sort of player missing 30 games a year, but starting to feel like he gets banged up (all players do) and it takes a considerable toll on his game. It's early in his career yet, this could just be an injury, but it seems like the first two years, just earlier. Which would make sense considering all the basketball he's played since the summer.
Hmm. Wasn't it possibly a thing that he skipped the exit meeting because he didn't want to get talked out of playing for his national team? I mean, I'm glad he did, but maybe this is the end result. Which would be fine - Knicks need another player badly and the higher pick would help.

You're probably right. You were just stating it so forcibly as to leave no other door open. If his elbow is a real mess I could see that deflating his energy and causing him to lose focus. But mostly I do feel being a unicorn may be a hard road with stamina issues paving the way.
ImageImageImage
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#1494 » by Yankeeknickfan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:31 pm

Zingod wrote:
Yankeeknickfan wrote:Raptors being a rest day, would've been perfect. 3 days off. Now he has to play until our next win.

Sitting him out @ Orlando was a wise decision, he dropped 34 next game.

Like i said before, sit him out for every other road game because he and this team suck on road anyway, more often than not. Fresh Porzingis is unstoppable at MSG.

You have to try and steal days too. he doesn't need practice, so the elbow should keep him out of most of those too.
Imageceltics
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Post#1495 » by Bill Pidto » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:20 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Truth hurts though.

Buzz, will you stop? You emphasize "EVERY YEAR", like he's been in the league 6-8 years. Who are you? Stephen A. Smith?

Stop acting like you know the future. You never predicted KP would be a good or a great player, you never predicted that he'd come out scoring 30 a game with impeccable defense, looking like the MVP of the league.

Stop pretending you know something we don't about KP. Or that you know something about athletes that we don't.

Whatever is nagging KP, I'm sure he and the Knicks and his trainers will figure it out.

My God, some of you are just gluttons for punishment. So anxious to sound the f*cking alarm on the whole fan base. And for what? "Brace yourselves everyone!! KP isnt as great as we thought!!!"

Ok.. now what?
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1496 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:21 pm

Bill Pidto wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Buzz, will you stop? You emphasize "EVERY YEAR", like he's been in the league 6-8 years. Who are you? Stephen A. Smith?

Stop acting like you know the future. You never predicted KP would be a good or a great player, you never predicted that he'd come out scoring 30 a game with impeccable defense, looking like the MVP of the league.

Stop pretending you know something we don't about KP. Or that you know something about athletes that we don't.

Whatever is nagging KP, I'm sure he and the Knicks and his trainers will figure it out.

My God, some of you are just gluttons for punishment. So anxious to sound the f*cking alarm on the whole fan base. And for what? "Brace yourselves everyone!! KP isnt as great as we thought!!!"

Ok.. now what?

ImageImageImage
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1497 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:34 pm

Bill Pidto wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Ok.. now what?

It's 3 for 3, IF this isn't a one off. I'd say that's a trend. IF it's the same thing.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,516

Post#1498 » by KnicksGod » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:41 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Bill Pidto wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Ok.. now what?

It's 3 for 3, IF this isn't a one off. I'd say that's a trend. IF it's the same thing.

But it's not quite the same because he scored 30 every night and was crazily dominant this season. That hasn't quite happened before and it would be unusual for a guy to be able to do that and to be incompetent on other nights. He doesn't have to score 30 every night but he shouldn't be a total loss either.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1499 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:48 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Bill Pidto wrote:

Ok.. now what?

But it's not quite the same because he scored 30 every night and was crazily dominant this season. That hasn't quite happened before and it would be unusual for a guy to be able to do that and to be incompetent on other nights. He doesn't have to score 30 every night but he shouldn't be a total loss either.

Yeah, I think we have to wait it out before declaring anything with certainty. That's what I was saying in the PG thread - it is such a big drop-off that something is clearly wrong. It could include stamina, but I doubt that's the whole of it.

I do feel like the elbow has to be addressed quickly.

The upside of surgery is protecting KP, tanking and building a great team via the draft and KP gets to really focus for several months at least on nothing but conditioning, strength training and building stamina.

We came this far as fans. I'd be glad to support that choice, because the KP we saw to start this season was unfuqqingreal and we need that guy. Can't risk ruining his career now due to neglect of a treatable problem.
ImageImageImage
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,516

Post#1500 » by KnicksGod » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:01 pm

I happen to think it's a combination of factors and mental/physical stamina are high on the list but elbow isn't. Just a guess I guess.

Return to New York Knicks