ImageImageImageImageImage

Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us

Moderators: moocow007, Knickstape1214, magnumt, Capn'O, King of Canada, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, Thorn, GONYK, NoLayupRule, mrpoetryNmotion, Thugger HBC

HEZI
RealGM
Posts: 22,546
And1: 5,702
Joined: Nov 16, 2004
 

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1521 » by HEZI » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:50 pm

Wolfgang630 wrote:Towns is near 55% and this is why people have turned on him.


That's still not bad. He's being asked to defend over 6 attempts and he's still doing a better job at it than guys like Marc Gasol, Al Hordord, Clint Capela, Robin Lopez, Marcin Gortat, Andre Drummond, just to name a few.
DENVER NUGGETS

PG: John Wall / Reggie Jackson / Devin Harris
SG: Demar Derozan / Joe Harris / Sindarius Thornwell / G.Hen
SF: Al-Farouq Aminu / Jerami Grant / Josh Huestis
PF: Trevor Booker / Ryan Anderson
C: Brook Lopez / Tarik Black / Willie Reed
Wolfgang630
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,615
And1: 3,398
Joined: Feb 07, 2016
 

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1522 » by Wolfgang630 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:59 pm

HEZI wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:Towns is near 55% and this is why people have turned on him.


That's still not bad. He's being asked to defend over 6 attempts and he's still doing a better job at it than guys like Marc Gasol, Al Hordord, Clint Capela, Robin Lopez, Marcin Gortat, Andre Drummond, just to name a few.


Tbf this is only one defensive stat. I think DRTG? was another stat that showed him on and off with Minnesota.

Also, there are very high expectations for hmm compared to those other guys considering he was being compared to Tim Duncan.
HEZI
RealGM
Posts: 22,546
And1: 5,702
Joined: Nov 16, 2004
 

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1523 » by HEZI » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:24 pm

Wolfgang630 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:Towns is near 55% and this is why people have turned on him.


That's still not bad. He's being asked to defend over 6 attempts and he's still doing a better job at it than guys like Marc Gasol, Al Hordord, Clint Capela, Robin Lopez, Marcin Gortat, Andre Drummond, just to name a few.


Tbf this is only one defensive stat. I think DRTG? was another stat that showed him on and off with Minnesota.

Also, there are very high expectations for hmm compared to those other guys considering he was being compared to Tim Duncan.


These DRTG numbers are not dependable imo. They just estimate points allowed per 100 possessions and whatnot. That chart is more dependable because it give you the average number of fields goal attempts defended and then the percentage of those field goal attempts. Very simple and based on fact. Not an estimate based on advanced calculations in what if scenarios.

As far as the Tim Duncan comparison and what expectations were placed on Towns, it's kind of irrelevant to hold them to the same standards considering the difference in the era and how the game has evolved differently now. The amount of possessions teams have and the amount of shots team put up per game is tremendously different. Not only has the pace of the game evolved and become a lot more quicker than it ever was during Duncan's era, but the players themselves have been transformed and big men in particular have transformed. This is not to say that Duncan would still not be a better defender than what Towns is today, but he would find there to be different challenges so we don't know for certain.
DENVER NUGGETS

PG: John Wall / Reggie Jackson / Devin Harris
SG: Demar Derozan / Joe Harris / Sindarius Thornwell / G.Hen
SF: Al-Farouq Aminu / Jerami Grant / Josh Huestis
PF: Trevor Booker / Ryan Anderson
C: Brook Lopez / Tarik Black / Willie Reed
User avatar
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
Posts: 12,080
And1: 4,511
Joined: Aug 30, 2014
     

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1524 » by Yankeeknickfan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:15 pm

j4remi wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wait. The bottom is the best? Nice
Imageceltics
User avatar
EchelonNYK
RealGM
Posts: 19,233
And1: 5,213
Joined: Jul 14, 2004
Location: Canarsie (Reppin' 90's)
         

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1525 » by EchelonNYK » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:34 am

Read on Twitter
Image
Kurt Rambis
Senior
Posts: 609
And1: 390
Joined: May 27, 2017
 

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1526 » by Kurt Rambis » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:10 am

EchelonNYK wrote:
Read on Twitter


This is from years ago.
User avatar
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
Posts: 12,080
And1: 4,511
Joined: Aug 30, 2014
     

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1527 » by Yankeeknickfan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:26 am

Nice bounce back
Imageceltics
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 17,482
And1: 9,984
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: MR. FRANKTASTIC

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1529 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:43 pm

Marty McFly wrote:https://nypost.com/2017/11/26/hakeem-olajuwon-would-like-to-teach-porzingis-a-few-things/


I was going to post this, but it he says "I'd like to teach him a few things" but then he goes "he doesn't need me to"
User avatar
Knicksfan20
RealGM
Posts: 16,148
And1: 3,352
Joined: Aug 19, 2006
       

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1530 » by Knicksfan20 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:14 pm

Yankeeknickfan wrote:
j4remi wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wait. The bottom is the best? Nice


Look where Kanter is also. Not bad
Timberwolves:13
C: Whiteside/Oquinn/J. Allen
PF: Love/Gay/Young/TJ Leaf/Anunoby/Dwill
SF: T.Young/Gay/Afflalo/Anunoby/Dwill
SG: Barton/Tyler Johnson/Afflalo/Stuckey
PG: Schroder/Tyler Johnson/Exum/Stuckey
Kurt Rambis
Senior
Posts: 609
And1: 390
Joined: May 27, 2017
 

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1531 » by Kurt Rambis » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:00 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:https://nypost.com/2017/11/26/hakeem-olajuwon-would-like-to-teach-porzingis-a-few-things/


I was going to post this, but it he says "I'd like to teach him a few things" but then he goes "he doesn't need me to"


Hakeem is better fit for smaller players. Porzingis needs to learn how to use his lenght. Kareem would be my choice for post game if he was available. Karl Malone for face up game and how to play basketball.

Actually Malone can be available because of Jeff.
thr3ep01nte4
Freshman
Posts: 71
And1: 7
Joined: Oct 31, 2015

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1532 » by thr3ep01nte4 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:16 am

Kurt Rambis wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:https://nypost.com/2017/11/26/hakeem-olajuwon-would-like-to-teach-porzingis-a-few-things/


I was going to post this, but it he says "I'd like to teach him a few things" but then he goes "he doesn't need me to"


Hakeem is better fit for smaller players. Porzingis needs to learn how to use his lenght. Kareem would be my choice for post game if he was available. Karl Malone for face up game and how to play basketball.

Actually Malone can be available because of Jeff.


Malone for how to throw elbows
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 17,482
And1: 9,984
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: MR. FRANKTASTIC

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1533 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:27 am

thr3ep01nte4 wrote:
Kurt Rambis wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
I was going to post this, but it he says "I'd like to teach him a few things" but then he goes "he doesn't need me to"


Hakeem is better fit for smaller players. Porzingis needs to learn how to use his lenght. Kareem would be my choice for post game if he was available. Karl Malone for face up game and how to play basketball.

Actually Malone can be available because of Jeff.


Malone for how to throw elbows


KP needs to do this a few times to get players to cut out that BS they've been doing lately. It would be worth the $ and he might get some extra rest!
Kurt Rambis
Senior
Posts: 609
And1: 390
Joined: May 27, 2017
 

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1534 » by Kurt Rambis » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:39 am

thr3ep01nte4 wrote:
Kurt Rambis wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
I was going to post this, but it he says "I'd like to teach him a few things" but then he goes "he doesn't need me to"


Hakeem is better fit for smaller players. Porzingis needs to learn how to use his lenght. Kareem would be my choice for post game if he was available. Karl Malone for face up game and how to play basketball.

Actually Malone can be available because of Jeff.


Malone for how to throw elbows


Actually that would help for him to create space for his shot. MAlone & Shaq was great at it.
KnickFan33
Rookie
Posts: 1,033
And1: 306
Joined: Nov 08, 2006

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1535 » by KnickFan33 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:19 pm

thr3ep01nte4 wrote:
Kurt Rambis wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
I was going to post this, but it he says "I'd like to teach him a few things" but then he goes "he doesn't need me to"


Hakeem is better fit for smaller players. Porzingis needs to learn how to use his lenght. Kareem would be my choice for post game if he was available. Karl Malone for face up game and how to play basketball.

Actually Malone can be available because of Jeff.


Malone for how to throw elbows


Let the elbow bursitis heal first. Then let the elbows fly.
Wolfgang630
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,615
And1: 3,398
Joined: Feb 07, 2016
 

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1536 » by Wolfgang630 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:24 pm

If Hakeem offered then KP should respond and say yes. I don’t give a **** about his height. He’s one of the best players ever and carried a team of Mom stars to a championship.

KP should hook up with Hakeem and Kareem. Ffs let him teach you the skyhook. And Jeff needs to get Malone to teach KP too.
User avatar
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 47,992
And1: 11,571
Joined: Oct 10, 2003
   

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1537 » by KnicksGod » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:56 am

Could KP be having sporadic back pain? That would explain dropoffs and surges.
Image
User avatar
ChaosHamster
Veteran
Posts: 2,798
And1: 1,920
Joined: Oct 07, 2015

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1538 » by ChaosHamster » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:32 pm

Image
thr3ep01nte4
Freshman
Posts: 71
And1: 7
Joined: Oct 31, 2015

Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1539 » by thr3ep01nte4 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:36 pm

He needs another year to develop that fadeaway shot with one leg kicking out. That’s the shot can create separation. KP is great now but he ain’t special yet. If he wants to be that championship type of franchise player, he needs to be special like Hakeem and Dirk.
User avatar
Capn'O
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 38,184
And1: 21,062
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Location: Let's stop and get a hot dog
 

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1540 » by Capn'O » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:04 pm

Yankeeknickfan wrote:
j4remi wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wait. The bottom is the best? Nice


Yeah - the vertical is percentage against - how low can you go :-)
Image

Return to New York Knicks