ImageImageImageImageImage

Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1681 » by Amsterdam » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:34 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:Just recalling now that I was the first person on this board to say KP was a generational talent.

I said it during KP's first pre-season. People went bonkers.

This board was completely savage and I was attacked by over a dozen posters. Some of whom who are posting here tonight.

I may not be a great X's and O's guy, but the one thing I'm excellent at is spotting the matrix of talent + mindset. That combination is necessary and it continues to baffle me how it eludes so many fans.

KP has that talent and drive.

Frank has it too.

And Frank is even smarter a ball player than KP which will benefit the unicorn greatly.

Frank is going to a star in his own right.

I expect posters to be kinder and gentler this time around.

nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,710

Post#1682 » by nedleeds » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:51 pm

Two things remain for him discounting the normal physical progression we all make into our mid-twenties.

1) The hard double team and passing out of it. This also relates to catching and going. KP rarely just catches and goes QUICK. If he can master that he'll be harder to double and he'll get fouled more. Going quickly also reduces a physical defenders ability to push him and foul him on the hip.

2) Finishing with one hand. When he has an awkward finish around the rim it's often because he's trying to square with both hands. The layup at end of the game was a case of this. He needs to be able to pivot and extend with either hand. His insane length means nobody will be able to reach the ball and he'll just get his arm carved into meat.

The step through, the reverse and a traditional jump hook. 3 one handed moves he sucks at now and can improve on.

2a) I think he can shot fake even more and develop a better shot fake. People have to reach to contest and he can dribble like no 7' 3" man on earth ever has making his fake deadly.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,531

Post#1683 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:55 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
Yankeeknickfan wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:Committing to this guy long term would be a mistake. I don’t see it at all.

Hungry? Image

The one good game over every 4-5 isnt a eat crow type of deal. If he can start rebounding, start taking less shots while increasing efficiency- come back.

So a guy who scores over 22 ppg while being a real difference maker on defense who alters the game plan and approach of the other team isn't enough for you?

You probably hated Ewing too.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,531

Post#1684 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:56 pm

nedleeds wrote:Two things remain for him discounting the normal physical progression we all make into our mid-twenties.

1) The hard double team and passing out of it. This also relates to catching and going. KP rarely just catches and goes QUICK. If he can master that he'll be harder to double and he'll get fouled more. Going quickly also reduces a physical defenders ability to push him and foul him on the hip.

2) Finishing with one hand. When he has an awkward finish around the rim it's often because he's trying to square with both hands. The layup at end of the game was a case of this. He needs to be able to pivot and extend with either hand. His insane length means nobody will be able to reach the ball and he'll just get his arm carved into meat.

The step through, the reverse and a traditional jump hook. 3 one handed moves he sucks at now and can improve on.

2a) I think he can shot fake even more and develop a better shot fake. People have to reach to contest and he can dribble like no 7' 3" man on earth ever has making his fake deadly.

Regarding 2a - he needs to work with WHG on stuff like this.
nedleeds
General Manager

Post#1685 » by nedleeds » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:14 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Regarding 2a - he needs to work with WHG on stuff like this.

Yeah, WHG has a real step through, up and under and is a great one handed shooter. I think KPs elite jumper in some ways takes away from his one handed shooting. Somebody like McHale was the opposite, he started off as a god mode one handed shooter and developed a passable J later in his career.

That **** hook from like 8 feet last night was insane. I don't think he practiced it but **** a mule if that became a real move they'd have to change the rules.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,763

Post#1686 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:42 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:Just recalling now that I was the first person on this board to say KP was a generational talent.

I said it during KP's first pre-season. People went bonkers.

This board was completely savage and I was attacked by over a dozen posters. Some of whom who are posting here tonight.

I may not be a great X's and O's guy, but the one thing I'm excellent at is spotting the matrix of talent + mindset. That combination is necessary and it continues to baffle me how it eludes so many fans.

KP has that talent and drive.

Frank has it too.

And Frank is even smarter a ball player than KP which will benefit the unicorn greatly.

Frank is going to a star in his own right.

I expect posters to be kinder and gentler this time around.

ImageImageImage
April madness
Senior
And1: 404

Post#1687 » by April madness » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:08 pm

http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/european-qualifiers/news/porzingis-wants-to-help-latvia-qualify-for-world-cup

Porzingis wants to help Latvia qualify for World Cup

NEW YORK (FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 European Qualifiers) - Latvia superstar Kristaps Porzingis is planning on wearing the national team jersey next summer and help his team in the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 European Qualifiers.

While he didn't play in the November games at Turkey, and then in Riga against Sweden, the New York Knicks star kept tabs on his compatriots and was encouraged by what he saw.

Porzingis, who led Latvia into the Quarter-Finals of FIBA EuroBasket 2017, spoke to FIBA.basketball.

Is your aim to play for Latvia in the World Cup Qualifiers during the June/July and September 2018 windows?
Yes, I'd love to. I had a great time last summer and I want to repeat the experience. I'm looking forward to playing with my teammates again and trying to help Latvia qualify for the World Cup. That's a goal for us and for Latvian basketball, and we all want to give our best to qualify and travel to China to compete on the world stage.

He just loves playing basketball! :D I am not sure if he will play for Latvia considering that he needs time to get his elbow healed. Pretty sure he won't play if the Knicks get to playoffs.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,942

Post#1688 » by KnicksGod » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:15 pm

KP does need to work on some of his moves down low. He is good enough to score a lot but he could take the next step if his footwork around the basket was just a little more polished.
DE FENSE
RealGM
And1: 2,690

Post#1689 » by DE FENSE » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:21 pm

April madness wrote:http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/european-qualifiers/news/porzingis-wants-to-help-latvia-qualify-for-world-cup

NEW YORK (FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 European Qualifiers) - Latvia superstar Kristaps Porzingis is planning on wearing the national team jersey next summer and help his team in the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 European Qualifiers.

While he didn't play in the November games at Turkey, and then in Riga against Sweden, the New York Knicks star kept tabs on his compatriots and was encouraged by what he saw.

Porzingis, who led Latvia into the Quarter-Finals of FIBA EuroBasket 2017, spoke to FIBA.basketball.

Is your aim to play for Latvia in the World Cup Qualifiers during the June/July and September 2018 windows?
Yes, I'd love to. I had a great time last summer and I want to repeat the experience. I'm looking forward to playing with my teammates again and trying to help Latvia qualify for the World Cup. That's a goal for us and for Latvian basketball, and we all want to give our best to qualify and travel to China to compete on the world stage.

He just loves playing basketball! :D I am not sure if he will play for Latvia considering that he needs time to get his elbow healed. Pretty sure he won't play if the Knicks get to playoffs.

I know he has pride in his country but he needs to look at Yao Ming as a cautionary tale. Too much basketball year round will take its toll.
April madness
Senior
And1: 404

Post#1690 » by April madness » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:28 pm

DE FENSE wrote:
April madness wrote:http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/european-qualifiers/news/porzingis-wants-to-help-latvia-qualify-for-world-cup

I know he has pride in his country but he needs to look at Yao Ming as a cautionary tale. Too much basketball year round will take its toll.

Yes, that's why I think he won't play if the Knicks get to the playoffs. Even if it's only 4 games, 2 in late June/early July and 2 (?) in September, I think. Health is the key word here.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,358

Post#1691 » by blueNorange » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:47 pm

kristaps has a .570 ts% which is very good.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
nedleeds
General Manager

Post#1692 » by nedleeds » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:36 pm

5.7 attempts per game inside 6 feet opponents shoot 40.8%

For defenders with at least 4 attempts against them per game ... next closest is Milsap at 45%, Whiteside is 49.4%. KP is basically in an entire category to himself when it comes to rim protection and interior defense.

https://stats.nba.com/players/defense-dash-lt6/?sort=LT_06_PCT&dir=-1
thr3ep01nte4
Junior
And1: 150

Post#1693 » by thr3ep01nte4 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:16 am

Yet another injury. I can’t help but think about Yao Ming. KP is showing that trend right now. Knock on wood. Hope it stops right there.
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#1694 » by KnickFan33 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:17 pm

Have there been any updates on his knee?
Handledatruth
Head Coach
And1: 1,739

Post#1695 » by Handledatruth » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Nothing more frustrating than waiting for an injury update to come out of MSG.
nedleeds
General Manager

Post#1696 » by nedleeds » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:26 pm

thr3ep01nte4 wrote:Yet another injury. I can’t help but think about Yao Ming. KP is showing that trend right now. Knock on wood. Hope it stops right there.

I'm actually encouraged. Every other 7 footer who took the ankle sprain he took would be ****. He was back in a couple of games after going over 90 degrees.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 62,004

Post#1697 » by F N 11 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:40 pm

Day to day no ligament damage. Simply sore.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,576

Post#1698 » by Red Vines » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:44 pm

Whew.

Was just watching Cowherd saying how he'd take KP over any other young talent. They were showing highlights during it and you just forget how special he is.
GIMME_DATT
Veteran
And1: 1,742

Post#1699 » by GIMME_DATT » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:50 pm

Red Vines wrote:Whew.

Was just watching Cowherd saying how he'd take KP over any other young talent. They were showing highlights during it and you just forget how special he is.

Yeah this was after the laker game I saw it on wednesday. Giannis would have to be the first young player I would take though
Kurt Rambis
Senior
And1: 483

Post#1700 » by Kurt Rambis » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:53 pm

"Jen Selter made KP gone crazy against Lakers" in my country's (turkey) all sport news. :lol:

Return to New York Knicks