ImageImageImageImageImage

Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

seren
RealGM
And1: 4,204

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#481 » by seren » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:41 pm

Doesn't matter he can be the first option. I wish they allowed us to max him right now. If this team somehow hesitates one second to get him that contract, this franchise will continue it's losing ways forever.

Sent from my XT1575 using RealGM mobile app
suka2000
Sophomore
And1: 21

Re: RE: Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#482 » by suka2000 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:45 pm

duetta wrote:Not sure that I'm ready to pay Porzingis $148 million over 5 after this season.

He needed to add much more variety to his low post game in the off-season. A 7-3 guy should be unstoppable when guarded by a smaller player.

His long-range shooting is just not strong enough at this point to completely rely on it while leading a good team.

Haha... Isn't it Dolan paying KP and not you

Sent from my F5321 using RealGM mobile app
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,849

Post#483 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:06 pm

I enjoyed this 1 minute break in my day.

Read on Twitter
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,197

Post#484 » by Wolfgang630 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:44 pm

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21053330/kristaps-porzingis-new-york-knicks-happy-carmelo-anthony

He's happy Melo will get a better chance at a championship and he's ready to guard him.
DrKnick
Starter
And1: 580

Post#485 » by DrKnick » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:48 pm

I'm excited for the Kristaps Porzingas era. Was getting tired of Melo halting the progress of this team.
FlashFlood
Rookie
And1: 509

Post#486 » by FlashFlood » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:49 pm

Just want to chime in here with my two cents about KP at the 4 vs at the 5. Dwight Howard was basically an MVP candidate by being nothing more than the roll-man in a spread pick and roll system in Orlando. KP can theoretically play this role and be superior at it than Dwight because you have to press up on him at the 3 pt line, elbows, and down low. If you dont, it's a jumpshot released about 10 feet in the air.

This is a configuration that could score at GSW's clip because it means you just have to put shooters around the P&R, and it's a guaranteed clean look up and down the roster.

If you place KP at the 4, it's to make space on the roster for someone else to play the roll man position. Probably in Porzingis' head, he's expecting the Knicks to give Hernangomez playing time. Problem is, he's ground bound, and worse than KP at defending in space and at the rim. The same goes for every C on the roster, Kanter? KP can do the job better on offense and defense. Noah ? LOL. O'Quinn? lol.

Those guys you can guard single coverage in the p&r, and it puts the ball outside of KP's hands. You put KP in the p&r, suddenly the post is congested, and it ruins the spacing created by owning a 7'3" C/SG.

The best offensive lineup imo, is KP at the C, and a PF that can shoot the 3. We're talking Beas, Lance, McDermott. The best would be an all-star defender, that can hit a 3 point shot.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,575

Post#487 » by Capn'O » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:01 pm

FlashFlood wrote:Just want to chime in here with my two cents about KP at the 4 vs at the 5. Dwight Howard was basically an MVP candidate by being nothing more than the roll-man in a spread pick and roll system in Orlando. KP can theoretically play this role and be superior at it than Dwight because you have to press up on him at the 3 pt line, elbows, and down low. If you dont, it's a jumpshot released about 10 feet in the air.

This is a configuration that could score at GSW's clip because it means you just have to put shooters around the P&R, and it's a guaranteed clean look up and down the roster.

If you place KP at the 4, it's to make space on the roster for someone else to play the roll man position. Probably in Porzingis' head, he's expecting the Knicks to give Hernangomez playing time. Problem is, he's ground bound, and worse than KP at defending in space and at the rim. The same goes for every C on the roster, Kanter? KP can do the job better on offense and defense. Noah ? LOL. O'Quinn? lol.

Those guys you can guard single coverage in the p&r, and it puts the ball outside of KP's hands. You put KP in the p&r, suddenly the post is congested, and it ruins the spacing created by owning a 7'3" C/SG.

The best offensive lineup imo, is KP at the C, and a PF that can shoot the 3. We're talking Beas, Lance, McDermott. The best would be an all-star defender, that can hit a 3 point shot.

I don't disagree with anything you've written here. My question would be - who gets the rebounds? Dwight was a great rebounder and is still near elite despite his diminished athleticism. Unless KP gets MUCH better in that department we give up a LOT just trying to get the ball with the scenarios you've provided.

Obviously, the solution is you find a guy like Draymond Green or even a younger version of Millsap but that's much easier said than done. Draymond's a bit of a unicorn himself.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,443

Post#488 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:12 pm

So if we don't see marked improvement from KP this year, should we listen to offers?
Knickerbock
Sixth Man
And1: 897

Post#489 » by Knickerbock » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:26 pm

PG- Frank Ntilikna
SG- Tim Hardaway
SF- elite defensive junkyard dog
PF- Kristaps Porzingis
C- Marvin Bagley
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#490 » by Thugger HBC » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:34 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:So if we don't see marked improvement from KP this year, should we listen to offers?

I would expect the FO to listen to offers regardless, but I do think KP will show a measure of improvement. A regression would not be good for him or the team.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
FlashFlood
Rookie
And1: 509

Post#491 » by FlashFlood » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:36 pm

Capn'O wrote:
I don't disagree with anything you've written here. My question would be - who gets the rebounds? Dwight was a great rebounder and is still near elite despite his diminished athleticism. Unless KP gets MUCH better in that department we give up a LOT just trying to get the ball with the scenarios you've provided.

Obviously, the solution is you find a guy like Draymond Green or even a younger version of Millsap but that's much easier said than done. Draymond's a bit of a unicorn himself.

Yes, those are indeed problems. Mini-Lebrons don't grow on trees, and the Knicks' best chance is probably to develop one.

Therein lays another argument for KP at the 5, in a spread pick & roll system à la Orlando Dwight Howards and Phoenix Suns SSOL. It will boost the kids' offensive skills and value. It's a play for the future... they could just play high intensity offense that highlights and develops' players skills so that when it's time to cash in the youth, they're worth that missing piece.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,395

Post#492 » by god shammgod » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:43 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:So if we don't see marked improvement from KP this year, should we listen to offers?

probably
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,946

Post#493 » by TheGreenArrow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:08 pm

god shammgod wrote:

probably

What do you consider marked improvement??
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#494 » by Sark » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:21 pm

So if KP puts up 22/9/2, should we keep him?
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,081

Post#495 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:24 pm

Sark wrote:So if KP puts up 22/9/2, should we keep him?

ya
i would be disappointed if he plays the exact same from last season, or very little improvement
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Carl_Karlson
Head Coach
And1: 3,030

Post#496 » by Carl_Karlson » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:41 pm

KP at least needs to show flashes of new elements in his game
WTF Post of 2017:

If Phil pulled that off, I would put a put a paper bag over my head, paste a picture of Jeannie on it, poke a hole through the mouth, and give Phil the best BJ he's ever had in his entire life.[/quote]
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#497 » by Sark » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:43 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:

ya
i would be disappointed if he plays the exact same from last season, or very little improvement

Well you just decided to trade Year 3 Dirk Nowitzki. Hope you get something good back.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#498 » by Greenie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:44 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:

ya

STATS are not everything.

If KP plays better defensively and shows a different attitude I’m not trading him even if his “numbers” drop.

Is he an Alpha? I said no. I want him to prove me wrong. Is he a punk? I say no. I want him to prove me right.

With the way this board fawns over kid you would think he’s proven something when in fact he hasn’t done a damn thing. This is his team now. No Melo “holding him back” or Phil shoving the triangle down his throat. He needs to show up and show out. So far he’s been underwhelming as a lead guy(yeah, I’m counting that shity pre-season). Let’s get it together KP. I want my Porzi back(rookie year).
TankCommander17
Bench Warmer
And1: 665

Post#499 » by TankCommander17 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:45 pm

He needs to show flashes. It will be a tough season getting adjusted to being the guy and the criticism that comes with that.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#500 » by Greenie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:46 pm

TankCommander17 wrote:He needs to show flashes. It will be a tough season getting adjusted to being the guy and the criticism that comes with that.

He needs to show more than a flash. He needs to show consistency in some areas too.

Return to New York Knicks