ImageImageImageImageImage

Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,434

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#661 » by RHODEY » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:41 am

Jeffrey wrote:Again, some of you guys see a 10-year rebuild when KP only sees a few years or he's out. You want to tank for 2-3 seasons and forgot about his timeline and how much patience he needs to wait.

Some of yall think are better than Doncic/Porter will be a Lebron/Wade/Melo type in his first season. On top of that, you want to tank ANOTHER SEASON for whoever that comes down the pipeline. It took KP 3 years to now become a legit All-Star player. His first year was **** amazing for a Euro. YOu are asking Doncic to be BETTER THAN THAT and 2019 rookie to HIT full stride when KP is ready to sign his extension. HE WANTS to see a playoff team by the time he signs that contract and you guys are still thinking about 16-year-old kids.

I'm not advocating a win-now approach. I want to tank this year as much as you guys want to. BUT if you guys are waiting until 2020 to **** start signing big-time free agents then KP is gone.

I think most only want to tank for this season.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#662 » by Marty McFly » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:00 am

Jeffrey wrote:Again, some of you guys see a 10-year rebuild when KP only sees a few years or he's out. You want to tank for 2-3 seasons and forgot about his timeline and how much patience he needs to wait.

Some of yall think are better than Doncic/Porter will be a Lebron/Wade/Melo type in his first season. On top of that, you want to tank ANOTHER SEASON for whoever that comes down the pipeline. It took KP 3 years to now become a legit All-Star player. His first year was **** amazing for a Euro. YOu are asking Doncic to be BETTER THAN THAT and 2019 rookie to HIT full stride when KP is ready to sign his extension. HE WANTS to see a playoff team by the time he signs that contract and you guys are still thinking about 16-year-old kids.

I'm not advocating a win-now approach. I want to tank this year as much as you guys want to. BUT if you guys are waiting until 2020 to **** start signing big-time free agents then KP is gone.

dude, turn the hyperbole down. No one is suggesting a ten year rebuild. :crazy:

also, who the hell is against the knicks signing big time free agents? for one, you're assuming big time players want to come and play here. this team has been a dumpster fire for over a decade. also, you're acting as if the knicks don't have to operate under a salary cap, or have any salary commitments to said salary cap.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,389

Post#663 » by robillionaire » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:01 am

RHODEY wrote:

This one and maybe next one. Ready to shoot for 2019 or 2020
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#664 » by ctorres » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:28 am

I could totally see KP taking a one year deal during the summer of 2019 and then becoming an unrestricted free agent in 2020.

Also, I will always feel sad over never getting to see KP and Melo in the playoffs together. Especially now that KP has suddenly become a 30+ ppg player (at least until his averages this season come down).
TankCommander17
Bench Warmer
And1: 665

Post#665 » by TankCommander17 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:37 am

Kp is going to say he doesn't want to resign and yet if we get a stud in the draft he will see a path to competing. That is the only way he stays with us. Because anything else other than tanking is patch work. We don't have the cap space to do anything else. Plus if he comes a restricted FA the Knicks will match anything under the sun.
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#666 » by ChaosHamster » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:54 am

I can't believe you guys are even bringing this up..

He is not turning down 150mil! Like no freaking way its happening.
QueensG718
Pro Prospect
And1: 688

Post#667 » by QueensG718 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:55 am

I love that kp is playing inside out now.. wow looks like hes mad a nice step this yr

Sent from my SM-G920T using RealGM mobile app
NY Knicka
Pro Prospect
And1: 275

Post#668 » by NY Knicka » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:16 am

ChaosHamster wrote:I can't believe you guys are even bringing this up..

He is not turning down 150mil! Like no freaking way its happening.

They're so gullible

Not only $150 million but a huge European population in the largest market in the world.

But let them believe Realgm's non-story.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,065

Post#669 » by Jeffrey » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:18 am

robillionaire wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

This one and maybe next one. Ready to shoot for 2019 or 2020

You're not shooting for 2019 or 2020, try 2022 and that's IF you hit all of your draft picks ala Durant, Westbrook and Harden.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,687

Post#670 » by Johnny Firpo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:47 am

Amazing game by KP, and good result for the Knicks' future.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,065

Post#671 » by Jeffrey » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:08 am

Marty McFly wrote:

also, who the hell is against the knicks signing big time free agents? for one, you're assuming big time players want to come and play here. this team has been a dumpster fire for over a decade. also, you're acting as if the knicks don't have to operate under a salary cap, or have any salary commitments to said salary cap.

Is it really hyperbole? Trying to acquire superstars via the draft alone is the longest and riskiest of them all. No sport except for the NBA that can truly put a team in the cellar for a DECADE. If you miss on these top 5 draft picks, you're f.cked for a very long time. BTW, I'm all for tanking this season but multiple tanks are not ideal.

Look at the Nets, since the merger with the ABA to now. They had 3 short playoff runs.
1.) Mid 80s, they were considered in today's world.. treadmill team. Then they had a run of good draft picks (Chris Morris, Coleman, Kenny Anderson).

2.) Early 90s, with those 3 draft picks and a lopsided trade that gave them Petrovic. Nets made a run for a few years but they needed Coleman and Anderson to progress. They didn't and Petrovic died. 8 years to hit their peak in 93-94 when they won 45 games.

3.) Early 00s, had some good picks (Van Horn, Martin, Kittles) and a favorable trade that brought in Kidd. Went to the playoffs 6 years in a row until they disbanded. Between the early 90s and the turn of the minenium, it took them 8 years to get back on their feet.

Look at the Mavericks? They were successful in the 80s, nothing in the 90s even though they had a potential 3 star team and needed to wait for Dirk to blow up.

Look at the 76ers. Made runs with Erving, Malone and Barkley during the 80s. NOTHING for 8-9 years until Iverson came along then they had a treadmill team with Brand and Igoudala. BTW, you realize it's been 6 years for the 76ers "Trust the Process" rebuild and I doubt they will make it to the playoffs this year. 7 effing years of tanking. Yeah, they got Embiid, Saric, Fultz and Simmons now but let me know when they turn that salary cap into a bonafide star like how many of you guys think it will be.

There's literally a boatload of history where teams just didn't do anything for close to a decade.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,303

Post#672 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:32 am

Phish Tank wrote:Bondy has nothing better to talk about and is bringing up this nonsense. There's no triangle nonsense, no Phil nonsense.

KP ain't going anywhere. He's not that dumb of a player to turn down $150 million. He's not Chris Paul or anything. This is his first contract.

Bondy is a douche, or whoever asked that question post game. Knicks beat writers have nothing better to do that stir up controversy.

At first I thought "KP sort of being an ass for answering yes". Then I realized - KP saying it in the first place was his first "star player putting pressure on front office to get sh*t together" play that stars do. Since we are only a few months after the first one and only minor changes, outside of dealing Melo, then of course the answer will still be yes because he doesn't want the franchise to be "comfortable" about him staying. It's keeping the onus on them to get the team better.

If and when KP does or doesn't stay the argument can happen as to whether he got impatient, that one more year they would have turned it around, or that he did the logical thing for his career because the team and organization will never get it's sh*t together.

Could go either way.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#673 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:37 am

Juco24 wrote:For all those tank soldiers... this is why tanking may not be such a good idea. KP wants to win and who can blame him

Then he's as good as gone, because this team needs at LEAST two more seasons to get good.

I'm open to arguments to as to how the team gets better in an easy way before then.

Step one: They HAVE to be really bad this year and get into the top 5 and then not blow the pick, and while the draft is really good on paper in the top 5, there are questions. And those "questions", when the Knicks need the pick to be elite, could set the team back, in terms of adding another year to the rebuild. Is Porter that good at SF/PF to make a difference in a year or two? Is Donic really legit or just very well rounded? Bamba's motor. Will Ayton really top out? And I know the draft goes deeper than 5 and as bad as the Knicks are, should be, at the least, in that zone of getting a good player. But also in that zone of getting a guy who is at best "ok".

Step two: Frank has to actually be good. Seems like there is debate here on that. And he has to get there in two years.

Step three: Get yet another good player in the next draft, but when drafting, probably, between 12 and 18. Good luck.

Step four: Get a FA. Well, that isn't happening for 3 years with Noah, THJr, Kanter and Lee on the books.

Step five: Shed CLee, KOQ for assets - easier said than done; getting value for Lee may mean taking back equal years and salary. Nobody is trading for Kanter. And if they did, guess what. 17 million is coming back. Forget it. Noah is here until the end of his deal. THJr is a Knick for length of that contract. Better hope he lives up to it.

So - tanking may not be the answer. As I stated, draft isn't a sure thing. But I also don't really see the Knicks being able to make any big trades and would honestly be lucky to make small trades that just move the needle.

KP may want to stay here and might tilt if he sees ENOUGH movement forward, but if he wants to win and really compete in a strong, sure way, as opposed to "I think we can get better", then it won't be with the Knicks.

My opinion? Knicks are easily three years away and that's only if they do everything right and Frank pans out.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,415

Post#674 » by Wolfgang630 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:05 am

It's great that KP is putting pressure on the Knicks. Ffs we need a star player for once to put pressure on this team to make it work. He may not leave, but he needs to put the pressure.

I don't want management to "relax".
ChilledAlex
Sixth Man
And1: 960

Post#675 » by ChilledAlex » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:22 am

How do you guys think?

KP and Jeff has unsolved beef with eachother so Jeff unleashed his wrath upon KPs best bud Willy because KP is untouchable right now?

Could this be the reason KP is hinting at frustration with Knicks?
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#676 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:24 am

Jeffrey wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:

Is it really hyperbole? Trying to acquire superstars via the draft alone is the longest and riskiest of them all. No sport except for the NBA that can truly put a team in the cellar for a DECADE. If you miss on these top 5 draft picks, you're f.cked for a very long time. BTW, I'm all for tanking this season but multiple tanks are not ideal.

Look at the Nets, since the merger with the ABA to now. They had 3 short playoff runs.
1.) Mid 80s, they were considered in today's world.. treadmill team. Then they had a run of good draft picks (Chris Morris, Coleman, Kenny Anderson).

2.) Early 90s, with those 3 draft picks and a lopsided trade that gave them Petrovic. Nets made a run for a few years but they needed Coleman and Anderson to progress. They didn't and Petrovic died. 8 years to hit their peak in 93-94 when they won 45 games.

3.) Early 00s, had some good picks (Van Horn, Martin, Kittles) and a favorable trade that brought in Kidd. Went to the playoffs 6 years in a row until they disbanded. Between the early 90s and the turn of the minenium, it took them 8 years to get back on their feet.

Look at the Mavericks? They were successful in the 80s, nothing in the 90s even though they had a potential 3 star team and needed to wait for Dirk to blow up.

Look at the 76ers. Made runs with Erving, Malone and Barkley during the 80s. NOTHING for 8-9 years until Iverson came along then they had a treadmill team with Brand and Igoudala. BTW, you realize it's been 6 years for the 76ers "Trust the Process" rebuild and I doubt they will make it to the playoffs this year. 7 effing years of tanking. Yeah, they got Embiid, Saric, Fultz and Simmons now but let me know when they turn that salary cap into a bonafide star like how many of you guys think it will be.

There's literally a boatload of history where teams just didn't do anything for close to a decade.

Please lay out the path the Knicks will take via trade or free agency to get a big name player(s) in the next 2 seasons. Suggestions must be realistic. Ready, begin.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#677 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:27 am

ChilledAlex wrote:How do you guys think?

KP and Jeff has unsolved beef with eachother so Jeff unleashed his wrath upon KPs best bud Willy because KP is untouchable right now?

Nope. Like conspiracy theory lovers do, you are equating two unrelated events and constructing a narrative.
WHG is riding the pine because Kanter and KOQ have shown more effort. And WHG isn't THAT much more talented then both of them, at the moment.

KP is just keeping the pressure on management to improve with what leverage he has - where nothing has changed, but since Bondy is a p*nis and works for the Daily News, he had to ask the "controversial" question.
Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,298

Post#678 » by Side beard » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:10 am

ChilledAlex wrote:How do you guys think?

You should send your resume to First Take, they would love you.
TankCommander17
Bench Warmer
And1: 665

Post#679 » by TankCommander17 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:47 am

KP is doing amazing amazing work right now. Very very proud of his growth. It is obvious he put in a lot of work this summer.

I think this should be a cautionary tale for all of us including myself to put too much stock in the summer especially preseason when it comes to veteran players. They don't really try until the season starts. And it is clearly evident.

We got our unicorn ladies and gentleman. Now to put pieces around him.
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#680 » by ChaosHamster » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:07 pm

I'm **** shocked. Iam one of the biggest KP homes around here, but even I didn't expect him to look that good.

And he is pretty much creating all the offense himself. He is not getting easy looks from pick and pops,or just easy spot ups. Its all him.

He definitely got stronger. He is pushing guys down low under he rim! We didn't saw any of this last year.

There is one worry atm. How long he can keep this up. Previous years he always starter strong, then gave up mid-december. If he can keep this up all season - **** incredible.

Return to New York Knicks