ImageImageImageImageImage

Like, We really did just have that offseason.

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

NYKnicks6
Senior
And1: 399

Re: Like, We really did just have that offseason. 

Post#21 » by NYKnicks6 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:31 am

Knicksfan20 wrote:
NYKnicks6 wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:
same. We have too many bodies. Sadly I think WHG may be the one to go since he has the highest value and best contract. Him and Kanter fill the same role and have similar weaknesses. I hope I am wrong though.

I dunno man. Willy and KP are really close friends. I don't see us moving him until at least KP has signed an extension. Also why would we move him and not Kanter if they are similar players. If no one bites on Kanter let him expire next year or the yr after.

Both Kanter and Willy have 2 year deals. I assume we keep the better of the two if we don't move one of them. I prefer Kanter to go, but his contract is hard to move.

I agree his contract is not ideal. Here is to hoping he opts out at years end and signs elsewhere. I don't think Willy is going anywhere.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,295

Post#22 » by Oscirus » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:07 am

We needlessly **** ourselves on not one but two guard contracts, we picked up another center which is the last thing we need, we drafted a pg who's ceiling is basically serviceable starter and we're in salary cap hell for the forseeable future. It might have been good offseason if you hate Anthony, but other than that...
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#23 » by NoLayupRule » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:14 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:When looking at the state of New York sports, we've grown accustomed to young teams these days. The Yankees are in a playoff race fueled by the herculean efforts of Aaron Judge and his companions Gary Sanchez and Luis Severino. The Mets while facing adversity this year, are fueled with the power arms of Thor, DeGrom and the bat of Conforto. The Jets are in the midst of battling it out for a top QB in this draft, but are enjoying the development of Williams, Adams and Maye. The Giants are equipped with some of the premier receiving talent in OBJ, Sheppard and Engram. I would bring up all the young talent that the teams in the tri-state area have in hockey, but there aren't many fans around these parts so I'll skip those teams. Entering this season, these New York Knicks will be no different.

After an offseason where the Melo saga got stuck at the two yard line, waited for the clock hand to strike 5:15, it finally happened moments before Media Day. The Knicks finally moved on from Melo after he expanded his teams he was willing to go, shortly after the deal sent Melo to the Thunder for Enes Kanter, Doug McDermott and a second round pick. Melo was able to get the last laugh, he outlasted Phil Jackson and he got to join forces with Westbrook and George in Oklahoma City. At the end of the day, the Knicks traded Melo for pennies on the dollar. Phil Jackson spent months lowering his value, Melo killed what little value that had remained. The most valuable thing the Knicks are hoping to gain in this trade is the fresh start that the organization and Jeff will be able to have.

Days before the draft, the rumors started spreading. The Knicks were willing to listen to offers for Kristaps Porzingis. Apparently it wasn't a joke either as the Knicks were reportedly interested in Devin Booker, picks from Boston in addition to players. In the NBA if you're able to get your hands on a Unicorn, you keep that Unicorn. However when Phil Jackson started listening to offers, that's when the fans roared and their screams were deafening. Dolan finally stepped in and relieved Phil Jackson of his duties, inexplicably after picking up his vesting option for two additional years. The triangle was finally gone from the Garden, when you look at his tenure one of the only good things he did was the drafting of Porzingis, which ironically was the reason he was fired. Phil Jackson the GM was a complete failure, his desire to be better than Pat Riley was just downright comical. Hey at least he was in that Derek Jeter commercial right?

Wait, you mean to tell me in an offseason in which the Knicks traded their franchise player in Carmelo Anthony and fired coaching legend Phil Jackson it wouldn't even be the biggest story line of the summer? After a season in which the Knicks attempted to make the playoffs to only limp their way to a meager 31-51, they couldn't even secure a top pick in the draft. Ultimately ending up with the eight pick in the draft, gone were the hopes of the top prospects. However this wasn't like most drafts, it had depth and the Knicks were assured of landing a good player. Someone had to drop, Fox? Issac? Monk? Smith? I mean someone we've at least watched during the year in college right? That's where Frank Ntilikina comes in and boy was it ever contested. The Frank Gang had it's supporters throughout the year, but with not much to go on besides a few Youtube clips, he was never going to command heavy fan fare. However his fit for the triangle made him a seamless fit into the teams strategy and he was selected with the Eighth overall pick. Talk about some vitriol getting thrown around. The Knicks select a system player with limited upside... all for a system in which was dissolved overnight. Right out of the gate the kid was behind the eight ball.

Ok, so you mean to tell all of this happened in just one offseason? I mean I get it, I play NBA2K so I'm used to creating story lines that are crazy, but this is just another day in the life of Knick fans. It's madness, but wait there's more? What if I told you that the Knicks fired their GM days after the draft and days before the start of free agency? What if I told you that the Knicks didn't have a successor lined up and had to rely on Steve Mills to handle the ship until a captain was found to steer the ship? Well you guessed it, that's exactly what happened and sure enough Mills made sure to put his stamp on the team. Mills signed Hardaway to a 71 million dollar contract, staking his reputation on Tim Hardaway continuing to improve as a player. However it wouldn't be the Knicks if there wasn't a side story line attached to the signing. Whether or not you believe he was overpaid is up to you for now, but isn't there some comedy to the fact that Jackson traded away Hardaway and the moment he's fired we go out and bring him back? Not one person will care if it's a serendipitous turn of events.

Heading into this season the Knicks will finally turn the team to Jeff Hornacek and he will have the freedom to finally run the team as he pleases, no more triangle being forced on everyone. In his first season as a coach in the NBA, Jeff had the Phoenix Suns playing above their talent level, they finished 48-34 with a team that was led by Dragic and Bledsoe. They were in the playoff race all year long before falling short, hopes were high for them. The coaching skill is there when the players are willing to play his style of basketball, that's hard to do when you have guys that directly oppose the style of play. With the trading of Melo, there should be no excuses as to why we won't run the system that Jeff wants to play. Whether or not Jeff can coach this team, at least he's finally getting his opportunity to prove that he can lead these team.

Let's call it like it is, it's been one crazy offseason and the team is finally being turned over to the kids. Whether you want the Knicks to make the playoffs or tank their way to a top pick again, it's always a lot easier to root for a team that has young players that can develop instead of over the hill veterans that have no future. Sure can the Knicks make the playoffs? Absolutely, the Eastern Conference managed to lose Paul George, Carmelo Anthony, Paul Millsap, Jimmy Butler and Brook Lopez all while adding Gordon Hayward. So yeah it's not exactly murders row to get into the playoffs. At the same time, what business do the Knicks have talking about playoffs? We haven't exactly been contending these past few years. Other teams have young talent, other teams are expecting to improve, what makes us special?

Some of the interesting things I'm looking forward this season:
- How dynamic can the 1-2 punch of Porzingis/Hardaway be?
- I'm expecting Frank to contribute right away, this is Porzingis all over again to me.
- How much brain power will Beasley really be able to use? What exactly are we planning with him?
- Kanter lost that weight, will he have a renewed commitment to the game?
- There's a lot of depth in the front court, can Hernangomez go out and prove he's a starter?
- Just how will Porzingis handle the media as the leader of the team?
- How creative can Perry get in trading veterans that still have some value?
- Will Noah give us anything once he returns from his suspension?

its been stunner for sure

Im happy with Frank but most of that is optimism
none of us know more about him than his obviously solid brain and work ethic and arm length

the truth is, had we drafted Monk we wouldn't have needed to spend 18mil per on a SG
and that, more than anything, kills me

had we drafted Monk we would have held that cash, or used it in a trade or been able to use it to move Lee or Noah for something less

too late now
just sayin
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#24 » by Mecca » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:21 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:When looking at the state of New York sports, we've grown accustomed to young teams these days. The Yankees are in a playoff race fueled by the herculean efforts of Aaron Judge and his companions Gary Sanchez and Luis Severino. The Mets while facing adversity this year, are fueled with the power arms of Thor, DeGrom and the bat of Conforto. The Jets are in the midst of battling it out for a top QB in this draft, but are enjoying the development of Williams, Adams and Maye. The Giants are equipped with some of the premier receiving talent in OBJ, Sheppard and Engram. I would bring up all the young talent that the teams in the tri-state area have in hockey, but there aren't many fans around these parts so I'll skip those teams. Entering this season, these New York Knicks will be no different.

After an offseason where the Melo saga got stuck at the two yard line, waited for the clock hand to strike 5:15, it finally happened moments before Media Day. The Knicks finally moved on from Melo after he expanded his teams he was willing to go, shortly after the deal sent Melo to the Thunder for Enes Kanter, Doug McDermott and a second round pick. Melo was able to get the last laugh, he outlasted Phil Jackson and he got to join forces with Westbrook and George in Oklahoma City. At the end of the day, the Knicks traded Melo for pennies on the dollar. Phil Jackson spent months lowering his value, Melo killed what little value that had remained. The most valuable thing the Knicks are hoping to gain in this trade is the fresh start that the organization and Jeff will be able to have.

Days before the draft, the rumors started spreading. The Knicks were willing to listen to offers for Kristaps Porzingis. Apparently it wasn't a joke either as the Knicks were reportedly interested in Devin Booker, picks from Boston in addition to players. In the NBA if you're able to get your hands on a Unicorn, you keep that Unicorn. However when Phil Jackson started listening to offers, that's when the fans roared and their screams were deafening. Dolan finally stepped in and relieved Phil Jackson of his duties, inexplicably after picking up his vesting option for two additional years. The triangle was finally gone from the Garden, when you look at his tenure one of the only good things he did was the drafting of Porzingis, which ironically was the reason he was fired. Phil Jackson the GM was a complete failure, his desire to be better than Pat Riley was just downright comical. Hey at least he was in that Derek Jeter commercial right?

Wait, you mean to tell me in an offseason in which the Knicks traded their franchise player in Carmelo Anthony and fired coaching legend Phil Jackson it wouldn't even be the biggest story line of the summer? After a season in which the Knicks attempted to make the playoffs to only limp their way to a meager 31-51, they couldn't even secure a top pick in the draft. Ultimately ending up with the eight pick in the draft, gone were the hopes of the top prospects. However this wasn't like most drafts, it had depth and the Knicks were assured of landing a good player. Someone had to drop, Fox? Issac? Monk? Smith? I mean someone we've at least watched during the year in college right? That's where Frank Ntilikina comes in and boy was it ever contested. The Frank Gang had it's supporters throughout the year, but with not much to go on besides a few Youtube clips, he was never going to command heavy fan fare. However his fit for the triangle made him a seamless fit into the teams strategy and he was selected with the Eighth overall pick. Talk about some vitriol getting thrown around. The Knicks select a system player with limited upside... all for a system in which was dissolved overnight. Right out of the gate the kid was behind the eight ball.

Ok, so you mean to tell all of this happened in just one offseason? I mean I get it, I play NBA2K so I'm used to creating story lines that are crazy, but this is just another day in the life of Knick fans. It's madness, but wait there's more? What if I told you that the Knicks fired their GM days after the draft and days before the start of free agency? What if I told you that the Knicks didn't have a successor lined up and had to rely on Steve Mills to handle the ship until a captain was found to steer the ship? Well you guessed it, that's exactly what happened and sure enough Mills made sure to put his stamp on the team. Mills signed Hardaway to a 71 million dollar contract, staking his reputation on Tim Hardaway continuing to improve as a player. However it wouldn't be the Knicks if there wasn't a side story line attached to the signing. Whether or not you believe he was overpaid is up to you for now, but isn't there some comedy to the fact that Jackson traded away Hardaway and the moment he's fired we go out and bring him back? Not one person will care if it's a serendipitous turn of events.

Heading into this season the Knicks will finally turn the team to Jeff Hornacek and he will have the freedom to finally run the team as he pleases, no more triangle being forced on everyone. In his first season as a coach in the NBA, Jeff had the Phoenix Suns playing above their talent level, they finished 48-34 with a team that was led by Dragic and Bledsoe. They were in the playoff race all year long before falling short, hopes were high for them. The coaching skill is there when the players are willing to play his style of basketball, that's hard to do when you have guys that directly oppose the style of play. With the trading of Melo, there should be no excuses as to why we won't run the system that Jeff wants to play. Whether or not Jeff can coach this team, at least he's finally getting his opportunity to prove that he can lead these team.

Let's call it like it is, it's been one crazy offseason and the team is finally being turned over to the kids. Whether you want the Knicks to make the playoffs or tank their way to a top pick again, it's always a lot easier to root for a team that has young players that can develop instead of over the hill veterans that have no future. Sure can the Knicks make the playoffs? Absolutely, the Eastern Conference managed to lose Paul George, Carmelo Anthony, Paul Millsap, Jimmy Butler and Brook Lopez all while adding Gordon Hayward. So yeah it's not exactly murders row to get into the playoffs. At the same time, what business do the Knicks have talking about playoffs? We haven't exactly been contending these past few years. Other teams have young talent, other teams are expecting to improve, what makes us special?

- I'm expecting Frank to contribute right away, this is Porzingis all over again to me.
- How much brain power will Beasley really be able to use? What exactly are we planning with him?
- There's a lot of depth in the front court, can Hernangomez go out and prove he's a starter?

none of us know more about him than his obviously solid brain and work ethic and arm length

the truth is, had we drafted Monk we wouldn't have needed to spend 18mil per on a SG

had we drafted Monk we would have held that cash, or used it in a trade or been able to use it to move Lee or Noah for something less

too late now
just sayin

Um, if we drafted Monk, we would have 0 future at PG.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Oscirus
RealGM

Post#25 » by Oscirus » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:49 pm

Mecca wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:

too late now
just sayin

We might not have that now since we don't even know whether Franks a pg or a sg yet.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#26 » by NoLayupRule » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:47 pm

Mecca wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:

too late now
just sayin

or we might have used that 18 mil per on a young PG or in a trade for one
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#27 » by NoLayupRule » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:48 pm

Oscirus wrote:
Mecca wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:its been stunner for sure

too late now
just sayin

We might not have that now since we don't even know whether Franks a pg or a sg yet.

a good point indeed
Mecca
RealGM

Post#28 » by Mecca » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:49 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
Mecca wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:its been stunner for sure

too late now
just sayin

Where are we getting a young PG in FA? There weren't any. Plus that would've been 18 million spent anyway.

Trade? With what assets? We have Willy and KP. That's it
Brooklyn Nets
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#29 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:01 pm

Maybe people on this board aren't sure Frank is a PG, but the Knicks sure as sh*t think he's a PG.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#30 » by NoLayupRule » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:30 pm

Mecca wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Where are we getting a young PG in FA? There weren't any. Plus that would've been 18 million spent anyway.

well both George Hill and Jdru Holiday were free agents
teague as well

point is that spending it on THjr after drafting frank sure limited our options

Is Monk less suited to playing the point than Frank even?
honestly we don't know
Mecca
RealGM

Post#31 » by Mecca » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:33 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
Mecca wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:or we might have used that 18 mil per on a young PG or in a trade for one

teague as well

honestly we don't know

Jrue stayed in NOP for a max contract. Way more than 18 mil
George Hill is over 30
Teauge got paid and went to a winner

It didn't really limit our options. We have a future back court now
Brooklyn Nets
sushibear
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,984

Post#32 » by sushibear » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:44 pm

Yes we did
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#33 » by Jose7 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:51 pm

no more wasted time on crappy phil retreads..sasha, amundson, plumlee, ndour, guys that are clearly NOT nba players. Please if you're gonna take a gamble let it be young guys with some skill level.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#34 » by NoLayupRule » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:24 pm

Mecca wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
Mecca wrote:

teague as well

honestly we don't know

George Hill is over 30

we have a backcourt

Frank is a 19year old unproven rookie guard who may or may not be a point
THjr is a 24 year old who's appeared to be very limited in anything beyond scoring making 18 mil a season
Mecca
RealGM

Post#35 » by Mecca » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:28 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
Mecca wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:well both George Hill and Jdru Holiday were free agents
teague as well

honestly we don't know

George Hill is over 30

we have a backcourt

THjr is a 24 year old who's appeared to be very limited in anything beyond scoring making 18 mil a season

What does CJ McCollum do besides score? Bradley Beal? 2 guards provide offense.

Monk would've been a terrible fit with a limited ceiling.
Brooklyn Nets
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#36 » by NoLayupRule » Sun Oct 1, 2017 12:59 am

Mecca wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
Mecca wrote:

George Hill is over 30

we have a backcourt

I'm not convinced monk would have been a terrible fit with limited ceiling at all

You should know I'm as positive as anyone around here but we've seen exactly zero games from frank and we've seen monk lead all college players in scoring

Out of one side of your mouth you say we don't need a sg to do more than score, so hardaway is good for 18mil
Then you say monk has no upside and a limited ceiling when he's already a more efficient scorer than hardaway
Oscirus
RealGM

Post#37 » by Oscirus » Sun Oct 1, 2017 1:29 am

NoLayupRule wrote:
Mecca wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:we have a backcourt

I'm not convinced monk would have been a terrible fit with limited ceiling at all

You should know I'm as positive as anyone around here but we've seen exactly zero games from frank and we've seen monk lead all college players in scoring

Out of one side of your mouth you say we don't need a sg to do more than score, so hardaway is good for 18mil
Then you say monk has no upside and a limited ceiling when he's already a more efficient scorer than hardaway

Plus mindsets. Monk is fearless, meanwhile from what we hear, Frank has to be constantly encouraged to be more assertive.
denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#38 » by denterprise » Sun Oct 1, 2017 2:46 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
Mecca wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:we have a backcourt

Monk has not proven he is a more efficient scorer than Hardaway in the NBA. Remember McDermott also led the nation in scoring and moved past the great Larry Bird in college scoring. Point is we are dealing with a lot of unknowns, so I agree with the organization in picking Frank over Monk based on Frank having a better pay off in the long run for this team.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#39 » by Scalabrine » Sun Oct 1, 2017 5:15 pm

TankCommander17 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:From the "in the weeds" perspective, you're right. This offseason was bananas.

From the eagle eye perspective, I like where the franchise is now more than I have in a good long while. The team currently has:

- Good young talent, including a budding star
- All of its first round picks
- Cap flexibility
- A steady hand at the wheel in Perry who seems to have upper management's approval
- No controversial personalities in the mix

There's actually a chance at developing a stable future from the rubble of the past few years if the Knicks can ride their assets upward in a calculated way. All new words for this franchise but the way forward seems clearer than ever. Continue building through the draft. If you can get a guy without dropping the core, you do it via trade or free agency. Move on from deals that require too much in return. We have enough to build from within.

I agree with all your points except cap flexibility. Until Lee/Noah/LFT are traded we really don't have any.

But I actually enjoying this tank year better than the year we got KP. Because that year we just lucked into a tank. This year we know full well our team will stink. This is year 1 of a process that I have been waiting on forever. Very glad it has finally started.

It's not that valuable to have flexibility at this point. I think we need to build internally, through the draft. Find some young unheralded guys like we did with Hernangomez, Baker, O'Quinn and let them grow with our young guys while we get 2 more top picks. Try to trade Lee, O'Quinn, Kuzminskas, and Kanter for any picks that we can get. Start from there and then we have a boatload of young guys in 2019-20 with 50 million in capspace.
Go Knicks!
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,693

Post#40 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Oct 1, 2017 5:21 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Knicks team isn't going to be any good this year, possibly the next year, front court "glut" has time to be resolved.

No, let's turn ourselves into The Nasty Boyz 2.0

All of our bigs are good passers and we would kill other teams on the offensive glass.

Return to New York Knicks