ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks coach: I’m ‘shocked’ at how good Joakim Noah looks

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,036

Re: Knicks coach: I’m ‘shocked’ at how good Joakim Noah looks 

Post#101 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:33 am

Ignitowsky wrote:Noah has averaged 62 games per season over the course of his 10 year NBA career. He's had 3 seasons where he's played 74 games or more and never played a full season. He's sveraged 44 games over the past 3 seasons. At age 32 he has the body of an 80 year old. There is virtually no chance of him staying healthy when he gets back. He is untraceable and all he can do is take minutes sway from guys that deserve them more than he does. He should do the right thing and take s medical retirement.

One more tankful year and then we'll stretch him.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,914

Post#102 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:34 pm

FKF wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Haris wrote:We hear this stuff every off-season about every player that has struggled. Unbelieveable. Not saying that Noah won't be good, maybe he will, but I am sick people talking about players losing their weight and fit stuff. And mostly they come back with no difference.

Is this the thread where we talk about Noah being an all-star because he is in great shape and that we can trade him for a future first or is this the thread where we say that Noah is trash and a bad person because we are disgruntled knick fans?

For real: I hope Noah has a nice season and can have something like a Jared Jeffries arc to his career here. Jeffries last few seasons with us he was actually pretty valuable. Noah certainly could be that great-culture-creator oddly enough with Melo out (which is funny because originally Melo wanted to join he and Taj over in Chicago).

Agreed. People hate Noah for the contract but he is a 2x all star, 1 time all nba 1st team, and looks healthy. It was just nine minutes, but he actually looked to me like he was the most ready to play last night. And he always plays with the most heart, that sets up the tone for the rest of the team. If the guy who fights the most gets the lesser minutes, that’ll tell you something about this team.
We can’t be playing the likes of Hernangomez, Kanter, O Quinn, along with KP, and expect to be decent defensively and stop anyone.

Ntilikina-Lee-Thomas-Porzingis-Noah should be our starting five come opening night. They’re the only competent 2 way players of our roster that can perhaps hold onto under 25 pts allowed per Q1. Noah can’t shoot but at least he doesn’t take bad shots and can set up teammates. I saw some terrible shots from O Quinn last night, and terrible slow defense from Willy.
Hardaway, Hernangomez, Baker, Kuz off the bench to provide some spark to lift the offense.
The rest should only get garbage time minutes. Beasley is garbage, O’Quinn is garbage, Sessions is average, McDermott/Kanter are meh. I’ll hold on them prior to a jugement.

This is kind of how I see Noah(using a reference to something that only a small group would get):

Might be kinda crappy, but really his presence should make guys better. You mention O'Quinn as trash. I would say that O'Quinn thrives with someone like Noah on the team to get him to use his craziness for the right causes. I agree with your starting 5, I think it would be good for Noah to start and try to help the team get the gate well. The hope is that Kantar would then come in, change the pace, control the boards, and be efficient against mediocre big men and small-ball line ups.
With Willie, KP, Kantar, Noah, O'Quinn we can expect a lot of 2-big line ups. I would hope that we will be running some sort of zone to allow us to use our size (think Grizzly). I don't know why Willie is not more consistent on defense. I know he isn't ever going to be the best, but he certainly has shown flashes of pretty solid.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,805

Post#103 » by god shammgod » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:56 am

Read on Twitter

Jeff Hornacek says the battle for minutes/starting position among Enes Kanter, Kyle O'Quinn, Willy Hernangomez and Joakim Noah (suspended for first 12 games) is ongoing: "Who's going to step up there and take the reins and make the coaches say, ‘I can't take that guy off the floor?' That battle is still going on with those big guys. Guys who play good defense, roll to the basket every time and play unselfishly will end up with the minutes…. It's crazy because one day we're saying, okay, these two guys. Then the next day after a practice or a game, maybe it's those two guys. So it's really close with those guys."

so nobody then...cool
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#104 » by KnickFan33 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Perhaps the glut at center could be a blessing in disguise. It obviously limits the amount of time he can be on the court every game, but maybe the limited minutes will allow him to go all out and increase his trade value? When asked why he isn't playing more, the excuse of developing our younger bigs would be a somewhat valid point.

It probably isn't the most realistic assessment, but I can hope.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,174

Post#105 » by moocow007 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:17 pm

Has Noah even appeared in a game yet?
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,980

Post#106 » by whocares1 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:19 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:Perhaps the glut at center could be a blessing in disguise. It obviously limits the amount of time he can be on the court every game, but maybe the limited minutes will allow him to go all out and increase his trade value? When asked why he isn't playing more, the excuse of developing our younger bigs would be a somewhat valid point.

It probably isn't the most realistic assessment, but I can hope.

Disagree. Willy should be playing 30+ minutes especially on a team going nowhere. The acquisition of Kanter made no sense and still doesn't. We already know what he is, let's at least get the chance to see if Willy can develop into a better version of Kanter.
The Big O 44
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#107 » by The Big O 44 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:24 pm

Oscirus wrote:Teach Kanter defense and I'll stop bitching about his contract.

kanter is bargnani level bad on D

Return to New York Knicks