ImageImageImageImageImage

Carmelo’s potential replacement turning Knicks’ heads

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Knicks Byke
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,251

Re: Carmelo’s potential replacement turning Knicks’ heads 

Post#81 » by Knicks Byke » Fri Oct 6, 2017 12:33 am

Handledatruth wrote:
Knicks Byke wrote:we can only hope for wally z 2.0

Wally Z was a solid basketball player. Spent most his career in starting 5s. Dougie can definitely be Wally like.

yup meant that in a good way. great complimentary player.
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,176

Post#82 » by BBALLER4FR » Fri Oct 6, 2017 1:00 am

McDermott turning Knicks' heads?

Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
Hemispheres
Veteran
And1: 981

Post#83 » by Hemispheres » Fri Oct 6, 2017 1:18 am

I have literally no expectations for McDermot. Wasn't high on him coming out of the draft and don't expect him to contribute much this year beyond some terrible defense and knocking down a couple 3s a game. I hope I'm wrong though.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,206

Post#84 » by aq_ua » Fri Oct 6, 2017 1:24 am

This came up on another thread but I think McDermott could end up being the best piece in the Melo deal. He's obviously a very good shooter but he also moves well without the ball and positions himself well and actually rebounds on top of that. He could stand to drop a few pounds to improve mobility but he's going to be a valuable role player in this league for another 5-8 years.
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#85 » by MP4LIFE » Fri Oct 6, 2017 2:12 am

McDermott's ceiling is Wally Sczerbiak...which would be great.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#86 » by nedleeds » Fri Oct 6, 2017 3:07 am

I see alot of Kyle Korver, a Keith van Horn type. Heady, scrappy, gym rat, coaches son, high basketball IQ, lacks lateral quickness, struggles to finish, not an elite athlete.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
MrProb
Analyst
And1: 1,419

Post#87 » by MrProb » Fri Oct 6, 2017 3:08 am

GONYK wrote:This McDermott hype is funny to me.

I think he'll chip in around 11ppg, some meh defense, and we'll send him on his way at the end of the year.

:lol:
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,954

Post#88 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Oct 6, 2017 5:56 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
NYKnickerbocker wrote:Doug finna transform into chris mullin now

so much more athletic than chris mullin.

man, i hate to say it as a johnnie, but chris mullin would struggle mightily on the defensive end in today's game. cooked every night by the opposing SF.

Depends on what team he'd be on. He was an insane shooter. In some ways he'd feast in modern game. Those warrior teams he was on could hang pretty well in this era IMO.

Def would feast today the way steph curry lives Mahmoud Abdul rauf's dream. in my point about his anticipated struggles defending an incredibly athletic generation of wings I slighted a truly great player.

Not sure the Run TMC warriors would have fared better today than they did in their time. They underachieved then in large part due to defense and now their defensive assignments would be tougher.

But Tim would be one of the league's super PGs with no hand checking. Mitch and Chris are giving up a lot of points tho.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#89 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Oct 6, 2017 6:48 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
so much more athletic than chris mullin.

man, i hate to say it as a johnnie, but chris mullin would struggle mightily on the defensive end in today's game. cooked every night by the opposing SF.

Depends on what team he'd be on. He was an insane shooter. In some ways he'd feast in modern game. Those warrior teams he was on could hang pretty well in this era IMO.

Def would feast today the way steph curry lives Mahmoud Abdul rauf's dream. in my point about his anticipated struggles defending an incredibly athletic generation of wings I slighted a truly great player.

[youtube]
https://youtu.be/8ayEaUDiNEE[/youtube]

Not sure the Run TMC warriors would have fared better today than they did in their time. They underachieved then in large part due to defense and now their defensive assignments would be tougher.

But Tim would be one of the league's super PGs with no hand checking. Mitch and Chris are giving up a lot of points tho.

With a Draymond Green type on the roster they'd probably get away with just outscoring everyone. I do think Nelson was on to something and was a little ahead of his time although he was too wacky and erratic to realize it. I think those teams would have did a little better in this era actually where defense and half court play are less important. But it's a good conversation for another thread on another day.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,125

Post#90 » by Juco24 » Fri Oct 6, 2017 11:41 am

nedleeds wrote:I see alot of Kyle Korver, a Keith van Horn type. Heady, scrappy, gym rat, coaches son, high basketball IQ, lacks lateral quickness, struggles to finish, not an elite athlete.

I was thinking a more athletic Kyle Korver as well...
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#91 » by Thorn » Fri Oct 6, 2017 12:26 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:I think he could do decent here but Melo replacement is ridiculous.

It is so laughable it shouldn't even be suggested.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,211

Post#92 » by Kampuchea » Fri Oct 6, 2017 12:28 pm

Melo replacement? He is worse at almost every facet of the game, besides perhaps off-ball movement.
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#93 » by BeagleBoss » Fri Oct 6, 2017 1:26 pm

McDermott is a stop gap. I wouldn't call him a replacement.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,255

Post#94 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Oct 6, 2017 1:35 pm

McDermott is nowhere close to Wally’s level. Maybe shooting the ball they are close, but Wally was much better at everything else.

McDermott can probably put up some decent numbers on a bad team. I don’t think he impacts the game that much. At best, I think he's a 10-15min guy on a decent team. Too much of a liablity on defense to be a big contributor imo.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
ohboy109
Rookie
And1: 225

Post#95 » by ohboy109 » Fri Oct 6, 2017 1:38 pm

VirginiaKnickFan wrote:
If Doug McDermott becomes Carmelo Anthony’s replacement as the Knicks starting small forward, Enes Kanter said he thinks fans will be surprised at the fireworks.

After all, McDermott’s college nickname was “Dougie McBuckets.’’ Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek already has taken a shine to the former Creighton superstar, who Kanter believes is as accurate from beyond the 3-point line as anyone in the NBA.

On Tuesday in the preseason-opening 115-107 loss to the Nets, McDermott started at small forward. He scored on a 3-pointer, on a driving dunk and a fast-break layup, piling up nine points in 17 minutes.

It has been nine days since Anthony’s trade to the Thunder became official and Kanter, who netted 17 in his debut, arrived from Oklahoma City with McDermott, a fellow 25-year-old.

The small forward slot is up for grabs. Courtney Lee is battling to play alongside Tim Hardaway Jr. in a small lineup. Michael Beasley is in the mix, but his defense is worse than McDermott’s. Hornacek said he will start different lineups the first three preseason games. There’s no telling who will get the call for Game 2 in Washington on Friday.

“It’s tough for anyone to follow in [Anthony’s footsteps] but to hear your name called in the Garden in the starting lineup was a dream come true,’’ McDermott said. “But it’s not about starting. I’ll be fine either way. I know I can provide shooting and play hard every night.’’

Hornacek marks McDermott’s fourth coach in his fourth NBA season. Former Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau loved him and traded up in the draft to get him in 2014. So far, Hornacek is a big fan, sticking up for McDermott’s defensive smarts. Creighton coach Greg McDermott, Doug’s father, has known Hornacek for years, having coached at his alma mater, Iowa State.

The Knicks coach said during training camp, McDermott was in the right spot during rotations. The starting group got off to an 18-8 bulge against the Nets before folding defensively.

“Obviously Doug can really shoot the ball,’’ Hornacek said. “His rotations are in the right spot. Most of the times you don’t have to be a great defender to be a great team guy on the defensive side. [Former Jazz coach] Jerry Sloan always said that about me about defense. … I never really thought I was a very good defensive player [but], I was always in the right spot. You look at some of the guys on our team: Doug, Ron [Baker], these guys that aren’t maybe the athletes some of the others are, just by being in the right spot 100 percent of the time is very helpful.’’

http://nypost.com/2017/10/05/carmelos-potential-replacement-turning-knicks-heads/

Plays no d.. stop with these articles he sucks!
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#96 » by EchelonNYK » Fri Oct 6, 2017 1:44 pm

He's currently the starting SF. So...........
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#97 » by dakomish23 » Fri Oct 6, 2017 2:09 pm

Frank Baker
THJ
Dotson MCD
KP
WHG KOQ

That's the 8 I want to see this year get the bulk of the minutes. Lee LFT Kanter can fill in as needed

Let KP be a primary focal pt
Let THJ show his profession
Let Frank Dotson WHG develop
Let Baker work on his PG skills
Let MCD prove the first few years aren't indicative of his career
Let KOQ show he should be here long term

If KP has an all star season, the young kids develop and we win 28, that's a fantastic year.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#98 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Oct 6, 2017 3:07 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:

[youtube]
https://youtu.be/8ayEaUDiNEE[/youtube]

With a Draymond Green type on the roster they'd probably get away with just outscoring everyone. I do think Nelson was on to something and was a little ahead of his time although he was too wacky and erratic to realize it. I think those teams would have did a little better in this era actually where defense and half court play are less important. But it's a good conversation for another thread on another day.

agreed on all counts. they wouldn't be defended as well and they wouldn't have to defend as well. good points.

nelson was definitely ahead of his time. the NBA is basically nellyball now. we laughed at it then, but as an entertainment product, it's all we're looking for today. hard to get a sneaker deal and other endorsements for being a good, solid fundamentally sound player.

mullin could have been a point forward today. he could pass and handle it well. maybe a tad slow tho.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#99 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Oct 6, 2017 3:14 pm

point being, in retrospect it's very disrespectful to be comparing mcbukets to mullin. wally world is a much better comparison. mcdermott has more offensive athletic tools than most of the comparable tweener forwards. maybe a more accurate walt williams?
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,125

Post#100 » by moocow007 » Fri Oct 6, 2017 3:29 pm

McDermott is not Wally. Folks that are comparing him to Wally may never have seen Wally in his prime.

As far as Kyle Korver? McDermott's been in this league for 3 years, Korver 14 years. McDermott's best shooting year is worse than Korver's worst shooting year. So, a more athletic Kyle Korver? Yeah, I don't know about that. Maybe a more athletic much worse shooting Kyle Korver. Which makes him not really Kyle Korver.

As far as KVH? KVH has gotten a real bad rap his entire career (and once again apparently lol by being compared to Doug McDermott). In his prime he was extremely productive and honestly one of the early versions of the ever popular stretch 4. The difference to just a "stretch 4" is that Van Horn could score inside, shoot from outside, dribble drive and rebounded well. KVH's problem was that he was soft on defense. Was a much much much better all around offensive player than McDermott. KVH averaged around 20ppg in each of his 1st 3 seasons in the NBA (as I'm sure would shock most people). A less dimensional real poor man's version of KVH, ok...but that also makes him not really KVH either.

McDermott is closer to being a upgraded Chris Copeland (see I didn't even pick a white guy). A guy that can shoot some 3's, has solid size, good character, rebounds a little, plays solid team ball, moves to get himself open and can get some open baskets using the pick and roll. And honestly, that wouldn't be so bad would it?

Return to New York Knicks