ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 New York Rangers Discussion

Moderators: moocow007, Knickstape1214, magnumt, Capn'O, GONYK, mrpoetryNmotion, NoLayupRule, Thugger HBC, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, Thorn, King of Canada

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Re: 2017 New York Rangers Discussion 

Post#201 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Feb 9, 2018 5:30 am

Manhattan Project wrote:But since 2015 what have the Rangers done that was so bad? The days of Sather just throwing money at free agents are over. Gorton has done a good job of building this team piece by piece and the trades he's done were all rational to me. Maybe the Hagelin trade, but the jury is still out on Gropp. The Eric Staal trade ended up being a bust, but I had no problem with the deal. The Smith contract in hindsight looks bad, but his play in the playoffs last year was good. Maybe losing Lindberg to the Golden Knights, but we were going to lose someone. Maybe the Stepan trades blows up in our face, but we got a seventh overall and a solid prospect in return.

I mean I think your being way to hard on Gorton, Sather ain't calling the shots no more.

My point is, there's nothing to indicate that the Rangers need a total overhaul, it almost never works in hockey and if nothing else lengthens rebuilding...

Sather admitted his mistake in 2004, he's responsible for building the team that made a Stanley Cup run in 2014. Gorton took over the season after. No...I don't give him credit for the 2014 team.

As for the moves Gorton made...

He's the guy who traded away Hagelin for a defensive bust, Emerson.

He's the guy who traded for Yandle then lost him...

He's the guy who signed Brendan Smith to an outrageous contract.

He's the guy who brought in Shattenkirk who doesn't fit that team.

Other moves weren't as distressing but haven't really panned out: Mika Zibanejad can't stay healthy.

AV hates Buchnevich...who seems to get Ntilikina treatment in playing time.

We'll see if he can get good value for expiring contracts and sign Kane, Karlsson (another Swede) but those are clearly the BEST moves he can make.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#202 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:47 pm

Finally Rangers snapped their losing streak....

Rangers made an curious move, receiving forward John Albert and defenseman/goon Hubert Labrie from the Washington Capitals in exchange for minor league forwards, Adam Chapie and Joe Whitney. Don't think it makes the Rangers any better. Basically plugs a hole left my injuries to the defensive corps.

McDonagh is the latest to get hurt. That'll affect his value. I don't see Lightning making a good deal a deal for him.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#203 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:03 pm

Rangers stretch their win streak to a glorious 2 games over the Winnipeg Jets. Zucc finally gets back on track. Grabby with an empty netter.
BadNewsBarnes
Veteran
And1: 999

Post#204 » by BadNewsBarnes » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:58 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:Rangers stretch their win streak to a glorious 2 games over the Winnipeg Jets. Zucc finally gets back on track. Grabby with an empty netter.

Rangers had to weather a serious storm in the 1st period. Two of the Jets goals were called back but the video backed the calls. Good game considering they are dealing with a shorthanded roster.
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#205 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:04 pm

The NY Rangers are 3 games over .500 and that's good for LAST PLACE in the Metropolitan Division, the most murderous division in the NHL.

This is what makes the Rangers transitioning soooo damn difficult.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#206 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:34 am

Well the Rangers had their 2 game streak snapped. 2-3 loss to the Minnesota Wild. Staal’s brother delivered the first stroke, a player the Rangers weren’t interested in keeping, having a rebound season.

More injuries, more call ups and more inconsistent play.

At this point the Rangers could miss the playoffs. Gonna be a photo finish.
BadNewsBarnes
Veteran

Post#207 » by BadNewsBarnes » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:08 pm

Another HORRIBLE first period.
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#208 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:00 am

The Isles swept the Rangers this season and if AV gets fired, it’ll be due to his predictable nature that the Isles always punish him for.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#209 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:20 pm

Former NY Ranger 1st line Center D. Brassard scored a goal, 2 assists and the Senators put a whuppin’ on the Rangers. Grabner with 2 goals.

Mcdonagh submitted his no-trade list. I’ll be shattered if the Rangers trade Mac.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#210 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Rangers got shalacked at home against the Flyers 7-4. Going into the 3rd, the Rangers were down 4-5 before Philly pulled away. What can I say, the Rangers are not playing with any sense of urgency.
BadNewsBarnes
Veteran

Post#211 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:48 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Rangers got shalacked at home against the Flyers 7-4. Going into the 3rd, the Rangers were down 4-5 before Philly pulled away. What can I say, the Rangers are not playing with any sense of urgency.

They are not a very good team. Let the sell-off begin.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,761

Post#212 » by Manhattan Project » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:16 pm

8 days to go until the deadline. One thing that sucks about hockey is that you barely hear any rumors in regards to players, trades just usually happen. Allegedly the Bruins and Lightning have been asking about McDonagh, we're asking for DeBrusk from the Bruins who looks like a really nice LW.
Utah Jazz
Jokic x Plumlee
Gordon x Sabonis
Fournier x Abrines
Russell x Bayless x Valentine
Conley x Parker
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#213 » by Dr. Detfink » 27 minutes ago

Anything can happen but I'm hoping Mcdonagh stays with the Rangers because defensemen are kind of like pitchers in MLB, they cost A LOT in FA and more often than not, you get burned. Knicks need front line Center BADLY but DeBrusk is promising...even though I STILL say the Rangers go out and get Evander Kane who will take anything to get out of Buffalo.

Return to New York Knicks