ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 New York Rangers Discussion

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Re: 2017 New York Rangers Discussion 

Post#241 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:07 pm

Kristaps6_NYK wrote:All we gotta do is deal McDonagh and maybe zucc

More likely they get traded at the June draft.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#242 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:28 pm

This is a WEIRD trade deadline for the NY Rangers. Essentially GM Gorton has traded for just defensemen, upping the # of NY Ranger defense prospects up to FOURTEEN. Here are the potential problems:

1. The Rangers NEED forwards, especially at the Center position. BADLY. The lack of quality forwards is why the 2012-2017 teams couldn't get it done. It was indicative of the inconsistent power play.

2. Fourteen defensive prospects make it extremely difficult to manage playing time. Thus not enough ice time to develop.

3. While defensive prospect Ryan Lindgren is a good defensive defenseman, similar to Shattenkirk he's average to small in today's NHL. 6'0" is not big for a defenseman, it's 6'3" where reach and poke checks come especially handy in clearing the puck.

4. Staal, Shattenkirk alone eat up $11M till 2021.

5. Spooner is a 5'11" Center....um, no. Not a good player BTW.

The only thing I can think of...Gorton plans to go all-in, trading up in the Draft to get a TOP 5 draft pick but the problem is 2018 NHL draft is rich in Defensemen! Someone like Dahlin who is undeniably the BEST defenseman in the draft, 6'2" with blinding speed and others....

Again, where are the Rangers going to get Centers and wingers?
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#243 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:29 pm

I think Gorton is not finished. As for Nash, it wasn't a bad deal and this was probably the best deal he could get. He can flip Spooner or Beleskey for front line players. If he got all of that for Nash, imagine what he might get for Ryan McDonagh or Zucc.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#244 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:30 pm

He's gotta flip Spooner who is a unrestricted free agent...
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#245 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:00 pm

I am poised to mop up on Mcdonagh jersey clearance then cry myself to sleep if he leaves. :cry:
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,965

Post#246 » by Manhattan Project » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:41 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:

I mean we probably have three centers in place already next year. Mika, Andersson and Chytil. The Rangers are probably going to be getting a lot younger. Hayes, Kreider, Miller, Vesey, Buchenvich are in place already. Again I think we're a lot further along in the rebuild than you. We have two firsts now, we have two seconds, we have a stable of defensive prospects. Rangers are going to be in position to maneuver this offseason.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,310

Post#247 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:44 pm

Weren't the Rangers young and on the brink like 4 years ago? Feels like the 2nd rebuild in recent memory. Let me rephrase that. It seems like they went younger with guys like Miller\Krieder and a few guys they dealt, but sort of held on the full rebuild and now that they faltered are all in. Would this be right? I used to follow the Rangers a lot closer but the roster churn of the current NHL sort of got to me. Even though the NBA should probably adopt it's model.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#248 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:00 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:

I mean we probably have three centers in place already next year. Mika, Andersson and Chytil. The Rangers are probably going to be getting a lot younger. Hayes, Kreider, Miller, Vesey, Buchenvich are in place already. Again I think we're a lot further along in the rebuild than you. We have two firsts now, we have two seconds, we have a stable of defensive prospects. Rangers are going to be in position to maneuver this offseason.

Mika is NOT a first line center. We know this because injuries forced AV to put him on the first line where he was silent for at least 5 straight losses before registering a point.

Andersson is not a Center. He's a wing in the NHL. We'll see if Chytil can be a first line center. He's definitely got the size but he needs Tavares class strength.

Hayes: 3rd line

Kreider: Second line. Being undersized has led to A LOT of injuries.

Miller: League caught up to him after an amazing season last year. He's a 3rd line Center.

Vesey: Too small. Third line center.

Buchenvich: Needs a little discipline but for now, belongs on the second line with Mika, which makes a big line.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#249 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:02 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Weren't the Rangers young and on the brink like 4 years ago? Feels like the 2nd rebuild in recent memory. Let me rephrase that. It seems like they went younger with guys like Miller\Krieder and a few guys they dealt, but sort of held on the full rebuild and now that they faltered are all in. Would this be right? I used to follow the Rangers a lot closer but the roster churn of the current NHL sort of got to me. Even though the NBA should probably adopt it's model.

The Rangers have acknowledged that this is the LIMIT of this roster...and they're thinking with Pittsburgh, Washington, Boston, Tampa vastly BIGGER, deeper...that it's best to revamp ALL 4 lines.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#250 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:07 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:Mika is NOT a first line center. We know this because injuries forced AV to put him on the first line where he was silent for at least 5 straight losses before registering a point.

Andersson is not a Center. He's a wing in the NHL. We'll see if Chytil can be a first line center. He's definitely got the size but he needs Tavares class strength.

Miller: League caught up to him after an amazing season last year. He's a 3rd line Center.

Buchenvich: Needs a little discipline but for now, belongs on the second line with Mika, which makes a big line.

Would you really ever call Brassard or Stephan a first line center?
Maybe a year of Nash, two of Gaborik? Not exactly like we've had elite first line production in our great run we've had.

Maybe going back to Nylander/Jagr, Gomez/Jagr have we really had a go 1-2 attack. Rangers have always been a team that beat you with their depth and obviously Hank being a great goalie. A collection of guys that are going to get 40-60 points and just play sound hockey. Even in a year in which Hank has been terrible aside from a brief stretch, injuries and just a lack of production from some guys we're still almost a 500 team. Obviously with the way the Rangers are playing they'll likely end up with a top six pick. There's four wingers in this draft likely to go top ten, Dahlin is a can't miss prospect if the Rangers get lucky.

Obviously with a potential McDonagh trade that's still out there, we're in position to land yet another first and a blue chip prospect. Hey maybe I'm being naive, maybe I'm being a homer, but I really don't think the Rangers are really that far off from being in the playoffs again in two years.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#251 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:50 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Mika is NOT a first line center. We know this because injuries forced AV to put him on the first line where he was silent for at least 5 straight losses before registering a point.

Would you really ever call Brassard or Stephan a first line center?
Maybe a year of Nash, two of Gaborik? Not exactly like we've had elite first line production in our great run we've had.

Maybe going back to Nylander/Jagr, Gomez/Jagr have we really had a go 1-2 attack. Rangers have always been a team that beat you with their depth and obviously Hank being a great goalie. A collection of guys that are going to get 40-60 points and just play sound hockey. Even in a year in which Hank has been terrible aside from a brief stretch, injuries and just a lack of production from some guys we're still almost a 500 team. Obviously with the way the Rangers are playing they'll likely end up with a top six pick. There's four wingers in this draft likely to go top ten, Dahlin is a can't miss prospect if the Rangers get lucky.

Obviously with a potential McDonagh trade that's still out there, we're in position to land yet another first and a blue chip prospect. Hey maybe I'm being naive, maybe I'm being a homer, but I really don't think the Rangers are really that far off from being in the playoffs again in two years.

Brassard just destroyed us, before the Senators traded him to a contender. Stepan knows where to put the puck for Kreider and Zucc. Notice those 2 players’ production has dropped significantly in his absence.

The problem with Mika is the fact, he’s not a Center. Not a great passer. He’s at his best going to the net. There’s a problem with that. He’s injury prone. I was at the game last year when he broke his leg, you could hear the snap that caused the Garden to go silent. This season it’s a concussion. Not encouraging.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#252 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:40 am

Rangers drop another one but in OT to the Red Wings. That OT goal was something Lundqvist should have had.

Spooner doing what undersized forwards do, use their speed until the opposition goes to forechecking.

I hope Spooner is moved before the deadline. He’s an expiring and it’s an opportunity to get another draft pick.

My hope is Gorton goes all-in and gets THEE Defensive cog who is going #1 in the draft: Dahlin. Then use the defensive prospects, most of which are decent to solid to leverage and get big 6’2” to 6’4” forwards.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#253 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:26 pm

McDonagh and Miller going to the Lightning, waiting for the details. Refreshing like crazy.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,496

Post#254 » by j4remi » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:33 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:McDonagh and Miller going to the Lightning, waiting for the details. Refreshing like crazy.

I saw McDonagh mentioned but not Mille, the return for both better be big. Lots of rebuilds in NYC...the future could be pretty exciting with all the youth and prospects for these teams.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#255 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:37 pm

Trade Alert:
Tampa Bay #Lightning acquire: Ryan McDonagh J.T. Miller
New York #Rangers acquire: Libor Hajek Brett Howden Vladislav Namestnikov 2018 1st round pick conditional 2nd round pick
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,496

Post#256 » by j4remi » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:37 pm

Read on Twitter
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#257 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:43 pm

Hajek was the 37th overall pick in the 2016 draft. Another defensemen.
Howden was the 26th overall pick in the same draft. Highly touted center.
Vladislav Nemestnikov is a solid center, restricted free agent next year.
Another first round pick this year.
A conditional second that can become a first if Tampa wins the Stanley Cup this year or next.

NHL network talking about how it's a good deal for both teams. Obviously the Lighting are going all in, Rangers got a nice haul in return for McDonagh, but obviously prospects are always risky.

Rangers are going to have a top six pick in the first, two firsts in the 25-30 range. Two seconds, two thirds, and potentially two first again next year. Rangers are absolutely loaded with assets right now.

Poor McDonagh has to look at Giradi again.
Rangers did right by their guys here, Nash and McDonagh are going to elite teams. Grabner is going to a team fighting for the playoffs.

The question is, who becomes the new captain on the team?
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Slamm Goodbody
Bench Warmer
And1: 101

Post#258 » by Slamm Goodbody » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:49 pm

Liked the return on the Nash trade. Not crazy about this one. They did get a lot of salary flexibility in the process so who knows who they're targeting to mentor and anchor the youth corps next year.
Mardy Collins Superfan
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#259 » by magnumt » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:02 pm

Fire sale for the Rangers:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

That's why Sather never lost his job. :D

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#260 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:06 pm

Mags that might the most impressive collection of inaccurate posting I've seen in a long time...
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones

Return to New York Knicks