ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 New York Rangers Discussion

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Re: 2017 New York Rangers Discussion 

Post#301 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Mar 2, 2018 1:53 pm

Alright...alright...alright. Time for some hockey talk.

Rick "Big Diesel" Nash's 1st Game as a Bruin

You want exhibit A that players were tuning out/tired of Alain Vignaeault's BS? Look no further than Nash's FIRST game as a Bruin. Watch the video. THAT is the reason why 6'4" forwards are coveted in the NHL. That reach, control, and the power to create his own shot cannot be taught. Let's face it, the Rangers' Centers haven't been consistently good since the Messier years. Also, some blame can be accredited to Vigneault's stupid, precision pass, pass, pass...waste clock...more passing, pass...more time elapses. The Bruins streamline their offense, they are a don't overthink it, just go after the puck in a dead sprint and TAKE it to the net mentality.

What was missing from the highlight was Nash using his stick defensively to puck a corale the puck from going over the line for a goal at the last minute, as the goalie was out of the crease. Again, 6' 4" frame has the reach and stick to extend and make that game saving save.

Now, I'm worried...Vigneault is falling in love with the new small, speedy forwards that is a circus act during the regular season, similar to the Phoenix Suns..it's entertaining but it is NOT title contending. I hope GM Gorton comes to his senses and doesn't sign anyone but a big gun/go-to beast.

In Trading their 3rd Captain in the last 5 Years, the Rangers "C" stands for "Cursed"

In the next couple seasons we still won't know if the Rangers got fleeced by Detroit Red Wing legend Steve Yzerman or fair compensation for trading the very heart and identity of the NY Rangers for the last 8 years. The Lightning were SUPER smart. They told Ottawa, "Waitaminute, you want our top prospects AND Sergachev for Karlsson who is the second highest paid defenseman" Wisely the Lightning said, who would be stupid enough to give up one of the top defenseman in the league without giving up too much? Oh yeah the Rangers! McDonagh makes the Lightning deeper and Stanley Cup fueled for this season and next season. Again, the Rangers take an undersized forward who was made to look good by Stamkos and co and 2 picks.

JT Miller was shipped out because he had some off the ice concerns by the Rangers. Strange and damn sad.

The Rangers are 7 pts out of the last Wild Card spot. I think Coach "Vino" is going to put some Fetta with his post-game conference that the NY Rangers will contend for a playoff spot DESPITE the White flag. Gorton GOT what Coach Vino wanted: Small speedy forwards for the pass, pass, pass...stall, offense.

That has be thinking, Rangers GM Gorton is in no rush to turn the Rangers around like the Yankees did in 2 short years. He's trying to serve 2 masters but that kind of thinking, leads teams such as the NY Knicks awry.

The NY Rangers have 3 first rounders, 2 second rounders, 3 third rounders...

They have over $12M per in Cap Space.

NOW is the perfect time to prepare....
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#302 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Mar 2, 2018 4:02 pm

BTW if you are interested in purchasing proper NHL quality pro jersey. Two Canadian sites I can recommend:

www.canucksstarsshop.com

www.sportsK.com

Adidas and Reebok use that Indonesian cotton crap. It's nice but it's not a proper hockey sweater like you got when you bought CCM jerseys.

These Canadian companies give a little better quality at a much, much cheaper price.

I still haven't found a cheap Islander jersey with the UGLY fisherman from Arthur Treacher's...it's the special kind of ugly like when the Isles had Ziggy Palffy :lol:
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#303 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Mar 3, 2018 3:56 am

As I feared, the Rangers are not tanking. They’re pushing for a playoff spot.

Apparently AV didn’t get the letter from Gorton that signaled that they are tanking. Well then why did you bother trading your best defenseman?

*shakes head*

The Rangers better trade at least 3 of those picks to get the #1 pick.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#304 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Mar 3, 2018 8:53 am

Rangers win, they’re gonna make the playoffs much to my chagrin.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#305 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sat Mar 3, 2018 12:57 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:As I feared, the Rangers are not tanking. They’re pushing for a playoff spot.

Apparently AV didn’t get the letter from Gorton that signaled that they are tanking. Well then why did you bother trading your best defenseman?

*shakes head*

I feared this too. Maybe they figure that the draft is SO deep that they can make playoff run. SMH.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,968

Post#306 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Mar 3, 2018 3:22 pm

BadNewsBarnes wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:As I feared, the Rangers are not tanking. They’re pushing for a playoff spot.

*shakes head*

I feared this too. Maybe they figure that the draft is SO deep that they can make playoff run. SMH.

Not for nothing, but how exactly does a hockey team tank? Hank has back to back games in which he had to make 50 saves, that's just unheard of really. You could say bench Hank and let him rest, well it wasn't to long ago that play Hank was our best option for tanking. I don't think the Rangers expected Spooner to have seven points in three games, Hayes starting to score and the Rangers just in general look a little faster on offense. Defensively there a mess right now, but we have 203 prospects to address that.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#307 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Mar 3, 2018 5:22 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:Not for nothing, but how exactly does a hockey team tank? Hank has back to back games in which he had to make 50 saves, that's just unheard of really. You could say bench Hank and let him rest, well it wasn't to long ago that play Hank was our best option for tanking. I don't think the Rangers expected Spooner to have seven points in three games, Hayes starting to score and the Rangers just in general look a little faster on offense. Defensively there a mess right now, but we have 203 prospects to address that.

Well the letter stipulates that the Rangers are NOT going to bother trying to make the playoffs because they can't compete with the best teams.

The Rangers proceed to trade away not just impending free agents and movable assets but also the center piece, their best defenseman and captain. Keep in mind C on the Rangers means "curse" not captain.

Fine.

Except I'm not convinced the Rangers GM had a clear game plan. He has an upcoming draft filthy rich in defensemen, so he gets extra picks which is good. He also asked for up and coming defensemen in the minor deals. So far, none of which have exactly shown to be first line material as Lundquist had to make back to back 50 save games.

Fine.

My problem is the Rangers stopped right there. They should've spun a deal for Spooner who will be a UFA at season's end. They also should not have Kreider back. This is a guy who needed his hip bone shaved down in order to ensure it doesn't lead to a significant injury.

If you're going to "miss" the playoffs in a firesale, don't stop....get rid of EVERYONE! Trade prospects for even better prospects, it's not like they have a no-trade clause. Trade expiring players (in return) for even MORE prospects.

As it stands, the Rangers have a lot of cap space and I fear, they'll re-sign or lock up some of these talented men w/o getting a "Go-To" Guy. .

Except I don't think AV was on board with this idea. Hence the Rangers did not get in return any 3 picks for top 5 First rounder.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#308 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Mar 4, 2018 1:32 am

Rangers have a 2 game win streak during their Western Coast Canadian Road trip...Wins against Vancouver and Calgary...here comes Edmonton. Should be a good test because Edmonton has the Campbell Conference's younger version of John Tavares, Connor McDavid. Rangers need to win every shoot out before they face a tough home stand against Capitals, Pens in a couple weeks.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#309 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Mar 4, 2018 1:27 pm

Rangers run their win streak to #3 and since the first round picks are from top seeds, it almost does them little good either way. I noticed the Rangers are a much better passing team but their defense is pretty bad. Deangelo failed to clear the puck, passing it right to an Oiler who screwed up the gift wrapped goal.

Connor McDavid answered right after Kreider's goal....basically using the Rangers like bowling pins. That is why you gotta get bigger, looking at you AV.

Rangers come home and face the Winnipeg Jets.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#310 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sun Mar 4, 2018 1:37 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Rangers run their win streak to #3 and since the first round picks are from top seeds, it almost does them little good either way. I noticed the Rangers are a much better passing team but their defense is pretty bad. Deangelo failed to clear the puck, passing it right to an Oiler who screwed up the gift wrapped goal.

Connor McDavid answered right after Kreider's goal....basically using the Rangers like bowling pins. That is why you gotta get bigger, looking at you AV.

Rangers come home and face the Winnipeg Jets.

FO is happy with every game being 6-5. Poor Hank will have his hair turn grey by the end of the season by being shell shocked every game. The sad part is that if the Rangers make the playoffs, anyone can win the cup. But they don't have enough talent right now to go deep. If you're an 8 seed in the NBA first round, you're one and done.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#311 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Mar 4, 2018 3:57 pm

This is why I am convinced the Rangers NEED to trade up and get a "go to guy" in the first round. Last night, I watched the young defensemen play, I wasn't very impressed at all. O'Gara looked lost at times. DeAngelo was sloppy in his own end. Gilmour looked decent. Everyone else was either "ok" to "meh." In other words, there's NO SIGN of immediate or near future improvement on defense. Here's a question what if Gorton struck out on ALL FOURTEEN defensive prospects?

That's an epic disaster.

Meanwhile we learned what free agent to be Spooner is also good at: Getting caught with his pants down. As his -2 was a barometer for his anti-hustle back the other way. This is indicative of nice, speedy small guys. They BURN so much energy on the offensive end, when they roll snake eyes...it's an odd man rush the other way while they're gasping for air.

And so, the Rangers whom I thought were headed to a tank and gaining the #7 pick, which they could bargain with their other first rounder PLUS a second rounder to get the ACE Defenseman they need...it looks more and more unlikely. More like a One and done with some decent prospects none of which answer the "Go To" guy that Capitals, Pens, Lightning, Nashville have.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#312 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Mar 5, 2018 10:20 pm

Rangers sign 7th round 2016 pick, Ty Ronning to an entry level contract. He's got 55 goals for the Vancouver Giants which sounds amazing except he's 5' 9" forward, yet ANOTHER undersized speedy forward that Vigneault wants.

Yet, another sign that the Ranger are gunning for the playoffs.

Here's the thing...what good are the Rangers if they have to OVERPAY for a go-to guy when you have go to guys in the draft, you just have to maneuver and trade up.

I can ONLY hope the Rangers package Zuccarello, Rangers first and second rounder to trade with Phoenix to GET that 1st line defenseman they are SORELY in desperate need of.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,968

Post#313 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Mar 6, 2018 2:02 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:Rangers sign 7th round 2016 pick, Ty Ronning to an entry level contract. He's got 55 goals for the Vancouver Giants which sounds amazing except he's 5' 9" forward, yet ANOTHER undersized speedy forward that Vigneault wants.

Yet, another sign that the Ranger are gunning for the playoffs.

Here's the thing...what good are the Rangers if they have to OVERPAY for a go-to guy when you have go to guys in the draft, you just have to maneuver and trade up.

I can ONLY hope the Rangers package Zuccarello, Rangers first and second rounder to trade with Phoenix to GET that 1st line defenseman they are SORELY in desperate need of.

Now I follow hockey, but I don't know every team like I do basketball and football. How many centers/wingers are really out there that have size and put up points?

Bigger guys: Ovechkin, Laine, Malkin, Matthews, Kopitar, Voracek, Lee, Tavares...

Speed Guys: Guys like Seguin, Stamkos, McDavid, Crosby, Kucherov, MacKinnon, Hall, Gaudreau, Tarasenko...

Hell you can argue that we had size with Krieder, Nash, Buchnevich really. To me hockey is just about speed these days, speed and skills with the puck is today's game. Gone are the grinders, the days of no skill guys like Simmonds.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#314 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Mar 6, 2018 3:03 am

You're forgetting Phil Kessel, Stamkos...etc. The top teams have "Go to guys" which are often big, fast guys.

FYI Kreider is not a big guy.

Big forwards not only help screen goalies but also help out on the defensive end, which Nash did. When it comes to the playoffs, ice rink tightens, it's the big guys who can impose their will, creating their own shot, something Nash did.

The Rangers are just 5 pts away from Columbus who holds the final playoff spot.

Let's see how the Rangers do against the Lightning on the 8th, Pens on the 14th, Blues on the 17th, Bluejackets on the 20th, Caps on the 26th and 28th, Lightning on the 30th, Devils on April 3rd, and Isles on the 5th....

ALL Playoff teams with big, fast lines who know how to bottle up, screen Lundqvist, and pile on points.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#315 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Mar 6, 2018 1:12 pm

Rangers face the Winnipeg Jets tonight. It should be an exciting game and the Rangers have a good shot at stretching the win streak to 4 straight against Canadian teams but then, it starts to get a little more difficult by next week.

If this team intends on becoming a playoff contender, we will see their mettle soon enough.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#316 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Mar 7, 2018 3:34 am

Rangers got shut out by the Jets at the Garden. Jets pretty much played like New Jersey played Detroit in the Stanley Cup. Forced them to dump the puck and POUNDED the smallish Ranger forwards. Not a lot to talk about except they are still within striking distance of the final playoff spot...problem is, their schedule is about to get VERY hard.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#317 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Mar 7, 2018 9:20 pm

Thanks to the mini-win streak, the NY Rangers are #8 in the NHL draft. No lottery. Straight record. They are 4 wins better than the 7th spot, Detroit Red Wings. Nearly 10 losses from the #1 spot. I give the Rangers 50/50 shot at getting #6 pick. From then on, they'll have to use their prospects and extra picks to jump up in the draft.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,501

Post#318 » by j4remi » Thu Mar 8, 2018 2:36 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Thanks to the mini-win streak, the NY Rangers are #8 in the NHL draft. No lottery. Straight record. They are 4 wins better than the 7th spot, Detroit Red Wings. Nearly 10 losses from the #1 spot. I give the Rangers 50/50 shot at getting #6 pick. From then on, they'll have to use their prospects and extra picks to jump up in the draft.

Jets, Knicks and Rangers all decided to blow it up and rebuild...all screwed it up and will wind up picking later than they need to be.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#319 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Mar 8, 2018 3:44 pm

j4remi wrote:
Jets, Knicks and Rangers all decided to blow it up and rebuild...all screwed it up and will wind up picking later than they need to be.

Of the three, I still believe the Rangers have the best chance to do a “Yankees-esque” quick rebuild. They opened up nearly $13M in cap space which in basketball would be the equivalent of having nearly $30M in cap space. It’s huge. Even better they have 3 first rounders, 3 second rounders, and 2 third rounders. All the ingredients to move up/draft a superstar AND sign a premier free agent.

Again, a huge advantage IF GM Gorton knows how to play his cards right.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,501

Post#320 » by j4remi » Thu Mar 8, 2018 3:57 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Of the three, I still believe the Rangers have the best chance to do a “Yankees-esque” quick rebuild. They opened up nearly $13M in cap space which in basketball would be the equivalent of having nearly $30M in cap space. It’s huge. Even better they have 3 first rounders, 3 second rounders, and 2 third rounders. All the ingredients to move up/draft a superstar AND sign a premier free agent.

Again, a huge advantage IF GM Gorton knows how to play his cards right.

Absolutely the Rangers, and I'd throw the Jets in too, could rebuild very quickly with their picks, position and cap space. The Knicks are the only ones that are stuck waiting thanks to their cap situation. It's up the GM's for the Rangers and Jets; not sure I'm convinced by either but I'm also not completely disenchanted by them.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo

Return to New York Knicks