ImageImageImageImageImage

This preseason is telling us a lot about this team

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Re: This preseason is telling us a lot about this team 

Post#321 » by Greenie » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:08 pm

magnumt wrote:
Greenie wrote:
GONYK wrote:I think the main takeaway from the preseason is that we will be very bad defensively.

Other than that, between the shuffling lineups and injuries, we can't really draw many concrete conclusions about individual young players, offensive system, or overall team direction.

Jeff shuffled lineups all year last year. I see more of the same this year.

Last year they blamed Phil. Who are they gonna blame this year? :dontknow:

--Mags :beer:

Mills
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,303

Post#322 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:12 pm

magnumt wrote:
Greenie wrote:
GONYK wrote:I think the main takeaway from the preseason is that we will be very bad defensively.

Other than that, between the shuffling lineups and injuries, we can't really draw many concrete conclusions about individual young players, offensive system, or overall team direction.

Last year they blamed Phil. Who are they gonna blame this year? :dontknow:

--Mags :beer:

Jeff. He's the common denominator. :D
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#323 » by Besart19 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:12 pm

Greenie wrote:

He had a fixed rotation back in Phoenix...
Strength and Honour!
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,211

Post#324 » by Kampuchea » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:12 pm

Shuffle the damned lineup to develop the young players. Nobody wants to see Noah playing minutes on a 20 win team
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#325 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:15 pm

There is no reason to shuffle line ups other than to pull guys based on lack of effort.

Pick a way to play, pick the players that most accomplish that (uptempo and defensive effort?) and set a rotation. Have a quick hook for low effort, especially defense.

Pretty simple.
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,058

Post#326 » by vallen » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:15 pm

rebuilding is moving foward with the intention (glimmers of hope) your not going to suck one day. Im not sure were close to anything like that.

running in place, making the same mistakes, revolving staffs, overrating players, is just sucking. we are a poorly run franchise, and thats most likely not going to change anytime soon. if it makes people feel better to say " we are rebuilding" then why not, but the reality is were going to be rebuilding a lot more like the Pistons and Magic of the last 20 years then we are the Celtics, Spurs, or even the Lakers. we have no experience rebuilding, we have no experience winning, we have no idea how to rebuild. Its more then just losing games (something we are good at) and drafting people. you need substance. we never had it, and never will till Dolans gone.
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,211

Post#327 » by Kampuchea » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:There is no reason to shuffle line ups other than to pull guys based on lack of effort.

Pick a way to play, pick the players that most accomplish that (uptempo and defensive effort?) and set a rotation. Have a quick hook for low effort, especially defense.

Pretty simple.

Please no. We'll be playing Lee, Thomas and Noah all game. Heavy minutes for the kids, find out if they have anything.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,125

Post#328 » by moocow007 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:23 pm

Pretty much. If rebuilding was that easy then everyone and no one would be rebuilding. Folks do seem to just like the thought of being considered to be rebuilding. It's like being invited to a cheerleader convention but having no clue what to do next. Sure it's great. You watching hot chicks. But then what?
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#329 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:26 pm

Kampuchea wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:There is no reason to shuffle line ups other than to pull guys based on lack of effort.

Pretty simple.

Please no. We'll be playing Lee, Thomas and Noah all game. Heavy minutes for the kids, find out if they have anything.

What I said doesn't mean that those guys have to play. Honestly, it could be a combination of players from about 5-11 on the roster to fill out the rotation, if you think there are like 5 "must play" guys.

Must play

Frank
KP
THJr
WHG
Dotson?
Baker?

Probably will play
Noah (defense)
Beasley
CLee (defense, overall ability)
McDermott (offensive versatility, relative youth)

10 players.

Who knows/cares
KOQ/Kuz - #'s victims
Sessions
Jack
LFT
Kanter

I mean, even with this theoretical tilt towards youth, you still wind up with a few guys in the "who knows/cares" list who you could say could play - Kanter - age, Sessions - because vet PG
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Post#330 » by PrecociousNeoph » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:30 pm

It says we are headed for the top of the lottery, which is precisely where we need to be.
“Bye, Felicia.”
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#331 » by dakomish23 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:38 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
This encapsulates my rants in a nutshell. But of course, I'll expand a little:

Preseason and ultimately doesn't mean sh*t.
You can't glean certain things from watching the games.
I mean, Dotson, who knows? Preseason.
Seems like Baker ************************************************************************preseason? (preseason commentary redacted)
The team is playing some offense this preseason
The team is playing some defense this preseason.

Yep. People are hiding behind the term "rebuilding" to ignore the abysmal output and terrible roster construction.

Listen, I apologize for drawing conclusions from these games. I've edited my comments.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
TruthBeTold
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#332 » by TruthBeTold » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:46 pm

TRUST and EMBRACE the PROCESS. :nod:

KNICKS GOAL: A Top 3 draft pick with "SUPERSTAR POTENTIAL" to develop.

I've said it before and I will say it again. SUPERSTARS WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. YOU SAW IT LAST SEASON AND YOU WILL SEE IT AGAIN THIS SEASON. IF ONLY THE KNICKS WOULD LISTEN TO ME JUST ONCE.:nonono:
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,176

Post#333 » by BBALLER4FR » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:41 pm

vallen wrote:rebuilding is moving foward with the intention (glimmers of hope) your not going to suck one day. Im not sure were close to anything like that.

running in place, making the same mistakes, revolving staffs, overrating players, is just sucking. we are a poorly run franchise, and thats most likely not going to change anytime soon. if it makes people feel better to say " we are rebuilding" then why not, but the reality is were going to be rebuilding a lot more like the Pistons and Magic of the last 20 years then we are the Celtics, Spurs, or even the Lakers. we have no experience rebuilding, we have no experience winning, we have no idea how to rebuild. Its more then just losing games (something we are good at) and drafting people. you need substance. we never had it, and never will till Dolans gone.

Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
AllanHoustonFan
RealGM
And1: 6,966

Post#334 » by AllanHoustonFan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:49 pm

The most telling thing about the preseason is the Knicks are on the right path to getting Doncic :D
#MKGA
AllanHoustonFan
RealGM

Post#335 » by AllanHoustonFan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:50 pm

DaGawd wrote:Welcome to the rebuilding process folks. It's never pretty. This season will tell me a lot about the resolve of NY fans in a rebuilding situation.. don't disappoint me..

This board could use a good "purge" of users.
#MKGA
AllanHoustonFan
RealGM

Post#336 » by AllanHoustonFan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:51 pm

TruthBeTold wrote:TRUST and EMBRACE the PROCESS. :nod:

I've said it before and I will say it again. SUPERSTARS WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. YOU SAW IT LAST SEASON AND YOU WILL SEE IT AGAIN THIS SEASON. IF ONLY THE KNICKS WOULD LISTEN TO ME JUST ONCE.:nonono:

The Knicks try all the time and fail.
#MKGA
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,307

Post#337 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:20 am

BBALLER4FR wrote:
vallen wrote:rebuilding is moving foward with the intention (glimmers of hope) your not going to suck one day. Im not sure were close to anything like that.

Nonsense.
:beer: RIP mags
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#338 » by br7knicks » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:29 am

Pretty simple.

+10000. This team has lacked accountability for far too long, especially defensively
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,916

Post#339 » by god shammgod » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:46 am

AllanHoustonFan wrote:
DaGawd wrote:Welcome to the rebuilding process folks. It's never pretty. This season will tell me a lot about the resolve of NY fans in a rebuilding situation.. don't disappoint me..

This board could use a good "purge" of users.

yes. i nominate everyone.
TruthBeTold
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#340 » by TruthBeTold » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:49 am

AllanHoustonFan wrote:
TruthBeTold wrote:TRUST and EMBRACE the PROCESS. :nod:

The Knicks try all the time and fail.

Fail at what, tanking?
When was the last time the Knicks tried to tank to get a potential superstar in the draft?
Which former Knicks president said "WE DON'T TANK"
Whose bright idea was it to play Carmelo Anthony in the final Knicks game last season to help the 76ers get a top 5 draft pick???
The biggest reasons for the Knicks past failures is because of an incompetent front office resulting in bad decisions when it comes to which player to draft and which free agent players to sign. Moreover, lets not forget about the history of BAD trades.

So how do you identify a SUPERSTAR POTENTIAL PLAYER IN THE DRAFT?
Usually they are top 3 in the draft with very few weaknesses on the court. They pretty much can "DO IT ALL," especially when it comes to scoring. However, not all top draft picks can pretty much do everything on the floor. Therefore, not every top 3 draft picks become superstars. Sorry, but this gift of mine is hard to explain to you people. I just know it when I see it. I should have been a scout...lol. Whatever weakness a draft pick has before he turns pro will get exposed when he turns pro. You want the player who is naturally and physically gifted with a high skill level and the least amount of weaknesses.

When the Knicks are drafting a top 10 player is usually not because they are trying to tank, it's because they are just an awful team. The good news about this season is that the roster has been set to automatic tank mode. :lol: Forget saying bad coaching and weak talent, half of the roster won't even be able to play more than 3/4 of the season.

Return to New York Knicks