ImageImageImageImageImage

This preseason is telling us a lot about this team

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,639

This preseason is telling us a lot about this team 

Post#361 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:37 am

Guano wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Guano wrote:

Do you know what happened?

and your post comes off that because a sexual assault at college doesn't end in prosecution or civil cases means it never happened?

maybe my reading comprehension is clouded by my disgust at rape culture. but, if it isn't be better than that post

Well, I'm an attorney who's handled a rape case and have worked with other attorney's who've handled them on a routine basis. I also knew many officers in the Sex Crimes Unit. So, yes, I think may have a little more insight to them than you have.

BTW, I also have women in my family; a sister, a niece, a mother, aunts and cousins. So don't think I need someone like you to try and school me on the horror of rape.

Now, you can get up off your high horse.

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL ACTUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALY, I'm an attorney, so I'm going to stand on my high horse then tell you to get off your high horse.

Tax attorney? :lol:

Then you should be able to understand my point that some women have and will continue to falsely allege rape as a way of exacting revenge on a man. For whatever reason. We saw it with Derrick just last season.

Dotson wasn’t charged and wasn’t sued. So he’s presumed innocent and shall be treated as such by me.

Now what’s your point again?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: This preseason is telling us a lot about this team 

Post#362 » by Greenie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:39 am

GONYK wrote:
Greenie wrote:
GONYK wrote:The guy who signaled that we are rebuilding had nothing to do with either move.

Nope.
He just signed more vets and traded for garbage.
He signed mentors for cheap and traded for short deals that don't hurt the cap and a pick.

Sounds like a rebuild to me.

You heard wrong.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,047

Post#363 » by GONYK » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:39 am

Greenie wrote:
GONYK wrote:
AllanHoustonFan wrote:The most telling thing about the preseason is the Knicks are on the right path to getting Doncic :D
Kind of all that matters

Is it?

Yeah, lets add him to this atmosphere where Jeff coaches him up and we have 10 players that play his position....

Greatness
Can't be in the position to manage or mismanage talent if you don't have it in the first place.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: This preseason is telling us a lot about this team 

Post#364 » by GONYK » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:40 am

Greenie wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Greenie wrote:Nope.
He just signed more vets and traded for garbage.
He signed mentors for cheap and traded for short deals that don't hurt the cap and a pick.

Sounds like a rebuild to me.

You heard wrong.
Based on nothing but you not liking Beasley?

If you say so.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#365 » by Greenie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:40 am

GONYK wrote:
Greenie wrote:
GONYK wrote:Kind of all that matters

Is it?

Yeah, lets add him to this atmosphere where Jeff coaches him up and we have 10 players that play his position....

Greatness
Can't be in the position to manage or mismanage talent if you don't have it in the first place.

What is KP, Willy, Frank and Dotson?

We don’t give a fuq about them now I guess.
Hemispheres
Veteran
And1: 981

Re: This preseason is telling us a lot about this team 

Post#366 » by Hemispheres » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:50 am

3toheadmelo wrote:bulls are def better than us

IDK if I was giving out tanking odds I'd make Bulls a favorite over us. Don't get me wrong we'll put up a good fight but I don't think we have what it takes.

I guarantee we'll be terrible but normalized over the 82 game season it won't be as bad as what we've seen these first 4 preseason games.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: This preseason is telling us a lot about this team 

Post#367 » by GONYK » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:51 am

Greenie wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Greenie wrote:Is it?

Greatness

What is KP, Willy, Frank and Dotson?

We don’t give a fuq about them now I guess.
I agree that I would prefer to have Willy starting over Kanter, and that might not be what's happening.

The current management has done nothing to mismanage KP, Frank, or Dotson at this point.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,385

Post#368 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:54 am

Hemispheres wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:bulls are def better than us

IDK if I was giving out tanking odds I'd make Bulls a favorite over us. Don't get me wrong we'll put up a good fight but I don't think we have what it takes.

I guarantee we'll be terrible but normalized over the 82 game season it won't be as bad as what we've seen these first 4 preseason games.

i hear u. but the fact that hornacek is our coach, im not really expecting much to change. this is probably what we're gonna see for the rest of the season IMO
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Hemispheres
Veteran
And1: 981

Post#369 » by Hemispheres » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:56 am

god shammgod wrote:
AllanHoustonFan wrote:
DaGawd wrote:Welcome to the rebuilding process folks. It's never pretty. This season will tell me a lot about the resolve of NY fans in a rebuilding situation.. don't disappoint me..

This board could use a good "purge" of users.

yes. i nominate everyone.

Never thought I would say this but the mods here don't abuse their power nearly enough.
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#370 » by kane2021 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:13 am

At least our lottery pick point guard is sitting at home on a hurt knee watching the game noticing stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,357

Post#371 » by NoStatsGuy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:40 am

Kinglee wrote:Honestly... how the hell did we manage to get rid of our two worst defenders (Rose/Melo) and get worst defensively? For all this talk about all movement, ball movement isn't leading us to good shots and we are turning the ball over more than we get assist. Our young players look like trash. Frank excluded. It doesn't seem like this team has any interest in making Willy a key player in this offense, KP literally looks like he doesn't have an idea on what to do when he's in the game besides blocking shots, Dotson can't create for himself, Baker... you guys are really high on Baker :lol: This guy doesn't belong in the NBA. And I guess we got Beasley on this team because he has braids and his game is similar to Melo's?

As far as THJ... I don't think I need to say anything about that signing.

Honestly speaking, only good thing about this team is Courtney Lee. All this talk about how we know we'll suck but we'll be fun to watch is nonsense. This team isn't fun to watch. It's like watching the bad news bears... the basketball version.

This team is embarrassing and watching D'Antoni and Harden embarrass us smh... It's really bad.

ive been consistently saying, baker is not an NBA player and ive been consistent that melo is not the reason we suck on defense. But ESPN does know, right?

This team has no identity right now. it takes time, especially with young guys and no dominant vets. KP has to get used to the situation, i dont know what you expect. Yea and in addition to that, im a little worried about KP actually being a unicorn #1 guy and if hernangomez cant prove to coach and FO that hes better than Kanter, then maybe we were too high on him aswell a little bit.

Offseason was a classic, when it comes to fan reaction. This team is still garbage, frank is not giannis, KP is not a top 15 NBA player and Lee and THj are role players from the bench on any good team. the rest are people you can put into the G-League and it wouldnt make a difference on the court if you get 10 new players from there and just swap.

But then again, look at jimmy butler, gordon hayward, paul george, etc. they all needed 4-6 years to become the players that they are now. only a few players can take over a franchise like for example melo, wade and lebron did, when they entered the league.

I dont wanna see baker start tho, that would make me very sad.
im bout dat action boss
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#372 » by FutureKnicksGM » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:44 am

The preseason told us we suck. Which you should have known already.

LMAO at the peanut gallery who thought we would be better without Melo. At least they got there ball movement :lol: .

But it's all good. We're on collision course for a new #7.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,311

Post#373 » by gavran » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:02 am

This preseason is telling us a lot about the OP. Nothing new, just a lot.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,687

Post#374 » by Johnny Firpo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:17 am

Kinglee wrote:Yankees were a rebuilding situation and made it work. This isn't rebuilding. This is just being trash.

Being trash is very good for rebuilding though. With the exception of the 2004 Pistons, darn near every champion out of the last 40 won with a Top 30 all-time franchise player that they drafted. Either KP is that guy, and you guys will get new talent next to him, or maybe he is not that guy, in which case you still need a franchise player, and guess what, you are set up amazingly well to get him. In the last draft with the current lottery system, I add. If I were a Knicks fan, which I kind of am, I would be ecstatic, so I am. :D I would switch rosters with you guys in a minute. Do you know what my Mavs will do this season? Win about 35-40 games. You can already tell. Now that's a wasted season, and the only reason I'm looking forward to it is DSJ. Being trash (can) worth a lot in the NBA, be glad. :)
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,304

Post#375 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:15 pm

Last year, after bad defense in the preseason and early in the regular season, the Knicks righted the ship defensively and really got after it for the rest of the year.

I expect similar results this year.

:D
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#376 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:46 pm

Kinglee wrote:
DaGawd wrote:Welcome to the rebuilding process folks. It's never pretty. This season will tell me a lot about the resolve of NY fans in a rebuilding situation.. don't disappoint me..

Yankees were a rebuilding situation and made it work. This isn't rebuilding. This is just being trash.

rebuilding in the NBA is very different than in baseball
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,262

Post#377 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:52 pm

The draft is def our best shot at building something at this point. The higher the pick, the better. Have to try to get as many picks as possible. The more eggs we put in the draft basket, the better our chances.

If we are lucky enough to find a stud in next years draft to pair with KP and Frank, it’ll look a lot better.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#378 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:04 pm

so what Ive learned from pre-season

• sadly many NBA players still need to be taught the game of basketball. Many know how to do one thing. Like be big or athletic or something. They need to learn basketball. I hope we have teachers on this team.

• this team is much worse than it looks on paper. Ill be shocked if we win 30 games

• there is no upside to the vets. Noah, Lee and Thomas need to play spot mins. Which is a shame for all of them. They deserve better but they won't get it. Lee honestly is the best player on this team after KP. He really ought to get traded.

As far as the players go ...

Guards :

I can't speak much about Frank but I expect his path to be along one. Bring him on slowly, teach him the game and develop him rationally like all teams do.

Lee is the best player in our backcourt. Poor lee. Trade him for his own good.

Dotson has skil. He should get playing time.

Baker should start for us. He has potential for sure.

Hardaway should get traded to the Rockets. That guy just sees open threes and thats it. He's a very skilled scorer but nothing close to his contract. Very frustrating. Play some damn defense Hardaway!!

Sessions and Jack were supposed to be leaders, teachers and guys who stabilize. I see none of that so far. Cut Jack. Bench Sessions. No point. If they won't play the right way what teaching are they doing for us? I could be wrong but Id just as soon give the chance for 3rd PG to a G-Leaguer

Forwards:

KP is learning how different being the man is in the NBA vs the other man or in euroleague.
He will get there. But he needs help and needs to grow.

Beasley is what he is. I have no issues. he's JR Smith.

Thomas has either totally regressed or his preseason is the worst play of his career. Wow does he look terrible out there. Bad on offense, bad on defense, standing at the top of the key trying to get rid of the ball. Pathetic.

Luz, McDermott. They should play. They show usefulness and potential even though Kuz hasn't played a lick.

Bigs:

Willy looks ok. He, like KP, has a long way to go but people shouldn't forget that this is what it looks like to develop a player. Patience people. But Willy, no threes please.

Noah. Poor guy. needs a trade or a buyout.

Kanter. At 25 hes actually a pretty useful guy. He's just a scorer. Good. Teams need that. I like Kanter. I hope we hold onto him.

KOQ. Quality player, quality contract. I hope we retain him unless he can net us something positive in the 2018 draft. Still he's developing well. Id be happy to extend him

Coach and staff:

Teaching the game of basketball takes time and patience. I think Hornesek has that. I hope he does. Im not loving the preseason coaching. Right now none of the words are matching the actions. I don't see the benefit of playing guys we will never keep and I don't see the value of the silly rotations.

He needs to teach and bring stability to the team. Roles need to be defined.

The best thing Ive seen from him this preseason was a clip of video where he was talking to Willy. Ill quote basically

"Coach, what should I be doing?"
"Willy, what is it you think you do best?"
"Low post. Rebound"
"Then do that. Simple, right?"

Yes, he doesn't need to be a threat at the three. He needs to play the post and rebound. Lets start somewhere and make it solid

my thoughts
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#379 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:05 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:The draft is def our best shot at building something at this point. The higher the pick, the better. Have to try to get as many picks as possible. The more eggs we put in the draft basket, the better our chances.

If we are lucky enough to find a stud in next years draft to pair with KP and Frank, it’ll look a lot better.

Porter or Bagley would pair perfectly

I really hope for a top 2 pick
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,907

Post#380 » by Woodsanity » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:29 pm

Tank for another lottery pick. :wink:

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.

Return to New York Knicks