ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: 2017 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees

Moderators: moocow007, magnumt, Capn'O, Knickstape1214, Thorn, King of Canada, GONYK, NoLayupRule, mrpoetryNmotion, Thugger HBC, Deeeez Knicks, j4remi

User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 40,586
And1: 12,698
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

OT: 2017 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees 

Post#1 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:30 pm

:noway: Can't believe a couple of things. First that a number of these acts aren't already in the HOF like Sister Rosetta Sharpe, Nina Simone, Link Wray and The Zombies, for example. Second, I still cannot believe that Warren Zevon is not even nominated, again.

Anyhow, here are your nominees:

Bon Jovi
The Cars
Depeche Mode
Dire Straits
Eurythmics
J. Geils Band
Judas Priest
Kate Bush
LL Cool J
Link Wray
MC5
The Meters
The Moody Blues
Nina Simone
Radiohead
Rage Against The Machine
Rufus fraturing Chaka Khan
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
The Zombies
User avatar
ZKnicks
Sophomore
Posts: 196
And1: 143
Joined: Oct 09, 2014
     

Re: OT: 2017 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees 

Post#2 » by ZKnicks » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:53 pm

Can't wait to see when Depeche Mode gets in.
One of my two all time favorite bands along with The Clash.
Wish The Clash could have gotten in before Joe Strummer passed. :-?
User avatar
Knickstape1214
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 41,768
And1: 19,078
Joined: Jul 16, 2009
Location: Rebuilding
     

Re: OT: 2017 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees 

Post#3 » by Knickstape1214 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:55 pm

ZKnicks wrote:Can't wait to see when Depeche Mode gets in.
One of my two all time favorite bands along with The Clash.
Wish The Clash could have gotten in before Joe Strummer passed. :-?


I only know two of their songs - Precious (was in Smallville) and Enjoy the Silence (first thought it was a Breaking Benjamin song), but I love both of those songs.

Aside from Bon Jovi (who absolutely should already be in it), LL Cool J, and Radiohead, I've never heard of any of the other ones. :lol:
User avatar
ZKnicks
Sophomore
Posts: 196
And1: 143
Joined: Oct 09, 2014
     

Re: OT: 2017 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees 

Post#4 » by ZKnicks » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:51 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
ZKnicks wrote:Can't wait to see when Depeche Mode gets in.
One of my two all time favorite bands along with The Clash.
Wish The Clash could have gotten in before Joe Strummer passed. :-?


I only know two of their songs - Precious (was in Smallville) and Enjoy the Silence (first thought it was a Breaking Benjamin song), but I love both of those songs.

Aside from Bon Jovi (who absolutely should already be in it), LL Cool J, and Radiohead, I've never heard of any of the other ones. :lol:


If you want to check out some great music, here are a few of their best tracks. Some dark and brooding, some lighter, all sexy and edgy.
All have that new wave/electro/synth sound that I personally love.
I've also seen them 5 times in concert and they still are incredible.

Its No Good (my personal favorite)
Personal Jesus
I Feel Loved
Strangelove
Just Can't Get Enough (more on the pop side, but man its a good one)
Policy Of Truth
People Are People
Everything Counts
Behind The Wheel
A Question Of Time
Walking In My Shoes
Dream On
Free Love
I could go on and on...
They also have about a million remixes of their tracks, some of which are mindblowing. If you want to hear the best, check out
Depeche Mode - I Feel Loved (Danny Tenaglia Remix) This track pretty much defines my early 20's living in NYC and working in the nightclub industry.

User avatar
ZKnicks
Sophomore
Posts: 196
And1: 143
Joined: Oct 09, 2014
     

Re: OT: 2017 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees 

Post#5 » by ZKnicks » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:02 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Bon Jovi
The Cars
Depeche Mode
Eurythmics
LL Cool J
The Moody Blues
Nina Simone
Radiohead
Rufus fraturing Chaka Khan


These are the ones that should get in I feel.
The others are good bands, but not quite HOF material.
Just my opinion though...
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 15,504
And1: 8,380
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: Dumpstadive for Donic

Re: OT: 2017 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees 

Post#6 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:06 pm

Is it the Rock and Roll HOF or generalized pop music HOF?

Because pretty sure Kate Bush, Nina Simone, Rufas and Chaka Khan and LL Cool J aren't rock or rock n' roll.

Are they all 4 great acts/musicians? Yup.

But unless, like, the Grateful Dead are getting elected into the R&B hall of fame, don't understand.

Last point - Rock n' Roll is sort of the last kind of music that should have a "HOF".
User avatar
god shammgod
Knicks Forum Crazy Board Uncle
Posts: 80,530
And1: 33,347
Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Location: Current RealGM Heavyweight Champion of the World

Re: OT: 2017 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees 

Post#7 » by god shammgod » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:20 pm

i don't have any strong takes on this but i do notice that all the people wingo wants nominated are from the 50s & 60s or before. which is because he's really old. thank you.

or as an alternate response....i'm surprised wingo didn't nominate this guy
Image
Image
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 24,526
And1: 3,109
Joined: Aug 28, 2002
Location: Patrolling the middle....

Re: OT: 2017 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees 

Post#8 » by duetta » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:32 pm

Moody Blues were big in their day - but I guess that their day wasn't that long. Not sure that they're a rock 'n roll group anyway.
User avatar
don't panac
Veteran
Posts: 2,900
And1: 597
Joined: Dec 17, 2007
         

Re: OT: 2017 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees 

Post#9 » by don't panac » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:59 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote::noway: Can't believe a couple of things. First that a number of these acts aren't already in the HOF like Sister Rosetta Sharpe, Nina Simone, Link Wray and The Zombies, for example. Second, I still cannot believe that Warren Zevon is not even nominated, again.

Anyhow, here are your nominees:

Bon Jovi
The Cars
Depeche Mode
Dire Straits
Eurythmics
J. Geils Band
Judas Priest
Kate Bush
LL Cool J
Link Wray
MC5
The Meters
The Moody Blues
Nina Simone
Radiohead
Rage Against The Machine
Rufus fraturing Chaka Khan
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
The Zombies


not sure how the nomination process works, but it is unclear how some of these artists are not already there.

for examples, how is this only the first nomination for Dire Straits?

my five inductees for this year would be

1. Dire Straits
2. Link Wray
3. Bon Jovi
4. The cars
5. Radiohead

some of the others are fantastic artists (nina simone above them all) but ROCK and ROLL artists?

you can vote here:
https://www.rockhall.com/fan-vote/2018-fan-vote?_ga=2.162470719.2096046656.1507746393-737885156.1507746393&_gac=1.194046815.1507746619.CjwKEAjwgvfOBRD7_IDSuP3znTwSJAB4_t6GtU0JRQNpzO-lmn8g2ZkVc8zLrXAxmat1oYAJv598bhoC8Zzw_wcB
Image
User avatar
Kampuchea
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,242
And1: 576
Joined: Oct 20, 2010
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
       

Re: OT: 2017 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees 

Post#10 » by Kampuchea » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:34 pm

Rage against the machine, jovi, Radiohead, LL

All need to be inducted immediately
Image
User avatar
Marty McFly
RealGM
Posts: 21,725
And1: 4,424
Joined: Sep 15, 2009

Re: OT: 2017 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees 

Post#11 » by Marty McFly » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:44 pm

the rock and roll hall of fame is a joke though.
User avatar
Capn'O
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 36,809
And1: 19,479
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Location: Let's stop and get a hot dog
 

Re: OT: 2017 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees 

Post#12 » by Capn'O » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:54 pm

Let in the ladies.

And Radiohead, even though they basically killed rock 'n roll.
BAF - ClippeRS
PG: Walker 310/5|Tim "Clyde" Frazier 10/2|Grant 5/3
SG: G. Harris 160/5|KCP 50/5|W. Johnson 3/1
SF: Gallo 140/3|Dekker 25/3|Bullock 5/1
PF: Isaac 135/5|Harrell 21/4|AMFPB 2/2
C: Pau 95/1|Len 15/4|ZUBLOCKA 20/5
User avatar
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
Posts: 20,010
And1: 5,046
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: New York City the best city in the world
     

Re: OT: 2017 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees 

Post#13 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:33 am

The cars should have been in a long time ago already.
A new era or error?
User avatar
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
Posts: 20,010
And1: 5,046
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: New York City the best city in the world
     

Re: OT: 2017 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees 

Post#14 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:41 am

I think bands like Echo and the bunnymen and Television should be in as well. Way more influential than half the artists in that lame hall.
A new era or error?
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 40,586
And1: 12,698
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: OT: 2017 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees 

Post#15 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:59 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:I think bands like Echo and the bunnymen and Television should be in as well. Way more influential than half the artists in that lame hall.


Television!

Oh, and Richard Hell and the Voidoids

Return to New York Knicks