ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension

Moderators: moocow007, magnumt, Capn'O, Knickstape1214, Thorn, King of Canada, GONYK, NoLayupRule, mrpoetryNmotion, Thugger HBC, Deeeez Knicks, j4remi

User avatar
robillionaire
Starter
Posts: 2,146
And1: 1,359
Joined: Jul 12, 2015
Location: Manhattan
       

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#61 » by robillionaire » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:24 pm

Looks like we got THJ on a discount.
User avatar
Knickstape1214
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 41,747
And1: 19,052
Joined: Jul 16, 2009
Location: Rebuilding
     

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#62 » by Knickstape1214 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:27 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

You Make no sense. Who cares if he is top 15 in sales or any of that stuff. Common Sense will tell you that Fans who paid for tickets came out to see Towns Wiggins play. **** people come out to see scrubs liek Kuz play its the reason why they chant his name. They want to see him. But a player like Wiggins nobody wants to see him :lol:

Yeah, there are no kids and such that want their parents to take them to see Andrew Wiggins. Or no Adults are coming to see him play. If its all conjecture why even try to oppose what I say if you have no proof to back up your counter argument.


I make no sense? YOU said he's there for ticketing, well, if he is, why are the Wolves having major issues getting people to the games? I never said they didn't go to see Wiggins...the only thing I said was that the Wolves filled up 76.5% of the seats last year. That's the second lowest in the league. You're the one putting the wrong words in my mouth. I made a statement, that's it.

The bold makes no sense. You said the contract is fine because of ticketing - I said they are 2nd lowest in ticket sales and his jerseys aren't selling off the shelves either. Would you like to come up with some reason why they're super low in ticketing sales if fans go there to see him? I'll take anything - weather is bad, prices too high, busy, legit anything...it could all be true...but so could it simply being true that fans don't love Wiggins as much as you think they do...because if they did, it would show up somewhere quantitative. You can legit throw **** at the wall hoping something can stick and it could very well be right, or it could just be completely wrong. At least the **** that I've thrown at the wall is of some interest because, you know, fans go to the games to see him play...right? :-?



Where did I say the contract is "fine". Now you making **** up. I said its basically market rate for an extension of a young 20+ scorer that still has potential, which if it was not... He would not have gotten it. Its the same schit when Allan Houston got his 100 million. Thats what the market was like for a player Like him. The same with Joe Johnson the MArket dictates more than us saying well he is overpaid. I CLEARLY said...you can think he is overpaid, but the market will say something else..Oh so your conjecture is better than mines cause you say so. FOH KT. :lol:


"Wiggins is Box Office, Tim is not. A player Like Wiggins puts people in the seats. THJ is not that kind of player. All these things have to be factored into stuff."

"Even before Towns was there, Wiggins Brough Excitement to the wolves. People came out to see him."

You're right, you said it was the market value...which it probably is (except I don't think teams would have had enough cap space to offer him a max contract this upcoming offseason, but I might be wrong). The two quotes above though are what I take issue with.

I also never said what I'm saying is better than yours...there you go again. I said that at least what I'm saying has some backing, whereas yours doesn't really...I even gave you outs if you wanted like price, weather, busy, or whatever. If Wiggins has such a big impact in ticketing that fans go to see him play, you'd think that there would be an uptick in ticketing...right?

2013-14, 75.2%
2014-15, 75.1%


:-?

I've said my piece and I'm pretty sure this is just going to go in circles, so I'm bowing out.
User avatar
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
Posts: 12,935
And1: 11,317
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: Brooklyn(Medina) NYC

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#63 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:33 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
I make no sense? YOU said he's there for ticketing, well, if he is, why are the Wolves having major issues getting people to the games? I never said they didn't go to see Wiggins...the only thing I said was that the Wolves filled up 76.5% of the seats last year. That's the second lowest in the league. You're the one putting the wrong words in my mouth. I made a statement, that's it.

The bold makes no sense. You said the contract is fine because of ticketing - I said they are 2nd lowest in ticket sales and his jerseys aren't selling off the shelves either. Would you like to come up with some reason why they're super low in ticketing sales if fans go there to see him? I'll take anything - weather is bad, prices too high, busy, legit anything...it could all be true...but so could it simply being true that fans don't love Wiggins as much as you think they do...because if they did, it would show up somewhere quantitative. You can legit throw **** at the wall hoping something can stick and it could very well be right, or it could just be completely wrong. At least the **** that I've thrown at the wall is of some interest because, you know, fans go to the games to see him play...right? :-?



Where did I say the contract is "fine". Now you making **** up. I said its basically market rate for an extension of a young 20+ scorer that still has potential, which if it was not... He would not have gotten it. Its the same schit when Allan Houston got his 100 million. Thats what the market was like for a player Like him. The same with Joe Johnson the MArket dictates more than us saying well he is overpaid. I CLEARLY said...you can think he is overpaid, but the market will say something else..Oh so your conjecture is better than mines cause you say so. FOH KT. :lol:


"Wiggins is Box Office, Tim is not. A player Like Wiggins puts people in the seats. THJ is not that kind of player. All these things have to be factored into stuff."

"Even before Towns was there, Wiggins Brough Excitement to the wolves. People came out to see him."

You're right, you said it was the market value...which it probably is (except I don't think teams would have had enough cap space to offer him a max contract this upcoming offseason, but I might be wrong). The two quotes above though are what I take issue with.

I also never said what I'm saying is better than yours...there you go again. I said that at least what I'm saying has some backing, whereas yours doesn't really...I even gave you outs if you wanted like price, weather, busy, or whatever. If Wiggins has such a big impact in ticketing that fans go to see him play, you'd think that there would be an uptick in ticketing...right?

2013-14, 75.2%
2014-15, 75.1%


:-?

I've said my piece and I'm pretty sure this is just going to go in circles, so I'm bowing out.


I basically said that plays a PART of the equation so what really is your point. I Did not say that is the reason in totality. Owners think of losing players like that when they young because of how it affects the Money for the franchise if they cant replace them. Which is why you usually see Young players ALWAYS get held on to if the potential is still high.


Also I know I am right. There is a reason why a player who has YET to play a full season got the SAME EXACT NUMBER. Its what the MARKET DICTATES. There is no way to dance around it. MArket Value really has nothing to do with talent in today's NBA. So Embiid can be a million percent better....he STILL got the same exact money on his extension.
ORLANDO MAGIC

C: G. Dieng | R. Holmes
PF J. Green | C. Diallo
SF B. Ingram | Cool Beas
SG K. Middleton | 2K Ferg
PG T. Rozier | M. Fultz

JC | D Reed | I. Whitehead | W. Ellington |B. Johnson
User avatar
Knickstape1214
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 41,747
And1: 19,052
Joined: Jul 16, 2009
Location: Rebuilding
     

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#64 » by Knickstape1214 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:35 pm

Lol, ok Ill...whatever you say, dude. I'm done here because you know you're right on this whole thing. :giveup:
User avatar
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
Posts: 12,935
And1: 11,317
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: Brooklyn(Medina) NYC

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#65 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:Lol, ok Ill...whatever you say, dude. I'm done here because you know you're right on this whole thing. :whiteflag:



Im right on the points I am making, sure. :o
ORLANDO MAGIC

C: G. Dieng | R. Holmes
PF J. Green | C. Diallo
SF B. Ingram | Cool Beas
SG K. Middleton | 2K Ferg
PG T. Rozier | M. Fultz

JC | D Reed | I. Whitehead | W. Ellington |B. Johnson
User avatar
god shammgod
Knicks Forum Crazy Board Uncle
Posts: 80,430
And1: 33,242
Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Location: Current RealGM Heavyweight Champion of the World

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#66 » by god shammgod » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:speaking of which, it's still preseason but supposedly the knicks aint selling out. wonder how long this rebuild will be allowed to last ?


Well, some fans on here are already annoyed we're rebuilding so... :lol:

Anyways, are you sure the games aren't selling out? I was at the game on Monday and I'd say it came close to selling out, but it was just me eye-balling the seats around so I could be wayyyyy off.


that's what berman said....maybe he was just making it sound worse than it was
Image
User avatar
god shammgod
Knicks Forum Crazy Board Uncle
Posts: 80,430
And1: 33,242
Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Location: Current RealGM Heavyweight Champion of the World

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#67 » by god shammgod » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:41 pm

Capn'O wrote:
god shammgod wrote:speaking of which, it's still preseason but supposedly the knicks aint selling out. wonder how long this rebuild will be allowed to last ?


Not through preseason, apparently :-?

Fun while it lasted, Capn'O...


my feeling is they'll get two years to tank. after that they'll have to make something happen, a playoff birth i would guess, in year 3 or they're done. that's around the usual amount of time people get.
Image
User avatar
god shammgod
Knicks Forum Crazy Board Uncle
Posts: 80,430
And1: 33,242
Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Location: Current RealGM Heavyweight Champion of the World

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#68 » by god shammgod » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:46 pm

In the political world of MSG Network, it’s probably unwise to be filetting “The Franchise” who is coming off bruised feelings regarding the organization’s direction last April.

Porzingis, after the Nets blowout, was asked how he’s coping with this rebuilding philosophy.

“Every situation is different, I got to adjust as quick as you can,’’ Porzingis said. “I played on the international team, now I’m here. Different team. Different mindset.

“We’re building something and want to move forward as a team. We’re far from a championship right now. We need to have a progression and move forward as a team and get better every year. I don’t know how long, if we do all the right things and grow, we’ll be there one day.’’

Or not. The rhetoric plays well until a series of botched pick-and-roll assignments leads to the Nets blowing you out of Brooklyn.

The Knicks’ defense picked up where it left off Monday — allowing 35 points to the Rockets in the first quarter. They fought back to a tie late in the half before a second straight non-sellout at the Garden. Get used to it.

The losing would be more palatable if Porzingis was dominating and Ntilikina was playing. He’s appeared in just one of four preseason games after missing all of summer league.

Porzingis and Ntilikina share European heritage and twig-like frames. Perry said patience is needed to build a foundation. Problem is, the Knicks look as sturdy as a house of cards.


damn this article is negative as hell :lol: don't let k p 6 read this.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/10/knicks-flaws-wont-allow-for-partially-tanked-season/
Image
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 15,418
And1: 8,308
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: Dumpstadive for Donic

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#69 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:04 pm

KP and Kneelikina share "twig like frames"?

I never realized Frank was the PG version of Tayshaun Prince.

Berman is such a hack sometimes. Ok, all the time.
User avatar
Capn'O
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 36,766
And1: 19,434
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Location: Let's stop and get a hot dog
 

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#70 » by Capn'O » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:23 pm

god shammgod wrote:my feeling is they'll get two years to tank.


That's all I ever asked for. As a bonus, two years where we were just awful AND had our pick. Bon chance!
BAF - ClippeRS
PG: Walker 310/5|Tim "Clyde" Frazier 10/2|Grant 5/3
SG: G. Harris 160/5|KCP 50/5|W. Johnson 3/1
SF: Gallo 140/3|Dekker 25/3|Bullock 5/1
PF: Isaac 135/5|Harrell 21/4|AMFPB 2/2
C: Pau 95/1|Len 15/4|ZUBLOCKA 20/5
User avatar
Marty McFly
RealGM
Posts: 21,705
And1: 4,416
Joined: Sep 15, 2009

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#71 » by Marty McFly » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:26 pm

holy **** berman. :lol:
User avatar
moocow007
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 89,622
And1: 15,851
Joined: Jan 07, 2002
Location: In front of the computer, where else?
       

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#72 » by moocow007 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:27 pm

If Perry (who is the guy that Knick fans to really be Lebron like in his respective roles) can't pull gold out of his butt, this isn't going to change enough and we'll be back chasing big name FA's for instant gratification in no time. That's my prediction. Dolan and all.

Spoiler:
I know...but moo...why can't you just be positive..
BAF 1.0 - Celtics
1.James Harden|Lance Stephenson|DJ Augustin
2.Tony Allen|Alec Burks|Jordan Crawford
3.Stanley Johnson|Dante Cunningham
4.Blake Griffin|Quincy Acy|Tony Bradley
5.Andre Drummond|Cristiano Felicio|Andrew Bogut
x.Ike Anigbogu
Sprewell4Three
Head Coach
Posts: 6,018
And1: 1,532
Joined: Apr 08, 2011

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#73 » by Sprewell4Three » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:36 pm

Not too impressed by him but he is what... 22? Still has time to grow as a player.
User avatar
Besart19
Head Coach
Posts: 7,389
And1: 1,248
Joined: Feb 12, 2012
Location: Dibra, Albania
   

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#74 » by Besart19 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:34 am

Capn'O wrote:
god shammgod wrote:my feeling is they'll get two years to tank.


That's all I ever asked for. As a bonus, two years where we were just awful AND had our pick. Bon chance!


Our rotation/starting five will be all Knicks draftees :) three more years to tank!!

2018: Doncic, Porter or Bagley (also Chi 2nd)

2019: Williamson, Barret or Antetokounmpo (Giannis brother)

2020: Wiseman, Basey or Lewis (also Knicks 2nd)

thats at least five more draft picks not including some other ones we might get by trading the vets

Frank, KP, Willy, THJ, Dotson, Kornet, Baker and Kuz also our pickups... not bad, but still behind Celtics, Sixers & Bucks
Image
vallen
General Manager
Posts: 7,885
And1: 1,224
Joined: Jan 31, 2005
       

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#75 » by vallen » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:42 am

because there isnt enough great players to go around, teams have to overpay average ones. its the players money. owners are obligated to overpay. wiggins is better then average, but doesnt deserve franchiser money, but hes still going to get it. THJ is a role player who got better than average player money. but shouldnt have.
Wolfgang630
Analyst
Posts: 3,410
And1: 1,992
Joined: Feb 07, 2016
 

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#76 » by Wolfgang630 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:54 am

This is Wiggins 4th year. I need to see a BIG jump on defense from him.
User avatar
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
Posts: 19,993
And1: 5,039
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: New York City the best city in the world
     

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#77 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:09 am

IllmaticHandler wrote:Wiggins is Box Office, Tim is not. A player Like Wiggins puts people in the seats. THJ is not that kind of player. All these things have to be factored into stuff.


Ehh I don't think people get hyped like that for Wiggins either though.
A new era or error?
User avatar
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
Posts: 19,993
And1: 5,039
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: New York City the best city in the world
     

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#78 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:22 am

god shammgod wrote:
In the political world of MSG Network, it’s probably unwise to be filetting “The Franchise” who is coming off bruised feelings regarding the organization’s direction last April.

Porzingis, after the Nets blowout, was asked how he’s coping with this rebuilding philosophy.

“Every situation is different, I got to adjust as quick as you can,’’ Porzingis said. “I played on the international team, now I’m here. Different team. Different mindset.

“We’re building something and want to move forward as a team. We’re far from a championship right now. We need to have a progression and move forward as a team and get better every year. I don’t know how long, if we do all the right things and grow, we’ll be there one day.’’

Or not. The rhetoric plays well until a series of botched pick-and-roll assignments leads to the Nets blowing you out of Brooklyn.

The Knicks’ defense picked up where it left off Monday — allowing 35 points to the Rockets in the first quarter. They fought back to a tie late in the half before a second straight non-sellout at the Garden. Get used to it.

The losing would be more palatable if Porzingis was dominating and Ntilikina was playing. He’s appeared in just one of four preseason games after missing all of summer league.

Porzingis and Ntilikina share European heritage and twig-like frames. Perry said patience is needed to build a foundation. Problem is, the Knicks look as sturdy as a house of cards.


damn this article is negative as hell :lol: don't let k p 6 read this.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/10/knicks-flaws-wont-allow-for-partially-tanked-season/


Lmao @ Frank having a twig like frame. Dude has a strong frame and he's only 19. Also why mention the euro thing? Like there aren't fragile American players. These writers are pathetic.
A new era or error?
User avatar
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 45,185
And1: 7,530
Joined: Dec 06, 2002
Location: Playoffs Fool!
Contact:

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#79 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:07 pm

blueNorange wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:$30 mil a year huh?

unreal

and people complained about Melo's salary


this guy has done nothing to earn that contract

Hell Id have included him in the Butler deal and made him Chi's problem and held onto LavIne or the pick

30mm is the new 20mm per year, but that's not the point. wiggins isn't a good player, and he's making bank. that's the issue at hand.

It's true that in terms of cap space it's the new standard franchise player contract

But it's still not $20 mil in real life. It's $30.
That's not an issue for the Knicks or lakers but the wolves aren't a profitable team and this sure isn't gonna help.

It's getting to be a league where a couple teams can compete because they have talent stacked and a couple of teams can afford to pay for talent.

But there is no way they will be able to pay butler, Wiggins and towns the super max deals they will all be on at some point soon.

Things will change
The league can't have 6 profitable teams and the rest losing while handing out these contracts
User avatar
Knickstape1214
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 41,747
And1: 19,052
Joined: Jul 16, 2009
Location: Rebuilding
     

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#80 » by Knickstape1214 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:09 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:$30 mil a year huh?

unreal

and people complained about Melo's salary


this guy has done nothing to earn that contract

Hell Id have included him in the Butler deal and made him Chi's problem and held onto LavIne or the pick

30mm is the new 20mm per year, but that's not the point. wiggins isn't a good player, and he's making bank. that's the issue at hand.

It's true that in terms of cap space it's the new standard franchise player contract

But it's still not $20 mil in real life. It's $30.
That's not an issue for the Knicks or lakers but the wolves aren't a profitable team and this sure isn't gonna help.

It's getting to be a league where a couple teams can compete because they have talent stacked and a couple of teams can afford to pay for talent.

But there is no way they will be able to pay butler, Wiggins and towns the super max deals they will all be on at some point soon.

Things will change
The league can't have 6 profitable teams and the rest losing while handing out these contracts


It's not the league's job to prevent teams from giving out contracts they can't afford.

Return to New York Knicks