ImageImageImageImageImage

Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump

Moderators: moocow007, FrontOfficeEye, magnumt, mpharris36, GONYK, NoLayupRule, Thugger HBC, Deeeez Knicks, Capn'O, K-DOT, j4remi, Thorn, Jeff Van Gully, mrpoetryNmotion, King of Canada

User avatar
2010
Knicks Forum A Helluva Poster
Posts: 18,880
And1: 8,979
Joined: Jul 24, 2008
       

Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#1 » by 2010 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:32 am

Knicks rookie shooting guard Damyean Dotson wears the same “21,’’ has similar facial features, strong build and the same agent in Happy Walters.

Oh, and one more trait. Dotson also plays defense like former Knicks first-round pick Iman Shumpert.

Tim Hardaway Jr. has noticed the parallels. He played a season-and-a-half with Shumpert.

“Dot, when you see him out there, he’s a football player,’’ Hardaway said. “He guards me every day in practice. He’s going to give you his all, every possession, no matter how tired he is. Built strong, athletic, takes nothing from nobody. That’s what we love.

“Definitely reminds me of Shump. They got that grittiness and desire to play defense.’’

Hearing the Shumpert comparison was a delight.

“Defensewise, he’s a great defender,’’ Dotson said of the Cavaliers guard. “I’ll take that all day. I keep working on it — whatever I can do to get on the court. Defense is one of my main focuses right now because I know defense has set me apart from a lot of guys.”

Hardaway called him “a sponge.’’ Coach Jeff Hornacek is paying attention to the man the team calls “Dot.”

“Some guys, you’re going, ‘I hope he makes [the shot]’,’’ Hornacek said. “But with Dot, you really think it’s going in. But I think what’s been impressive to the coaches has been his defense. Especially one-on-one. He can get after it.”


http://nypost.com/2017/10/11/knicks-football-player-drawing-comparisons-to-iman-shumpert/
Toronto Raptors

PG: L. Ball | C. Sexton
SG: T. Evans | S. Kilpatrick
SF: K. Knox
PF: D. Green | B. Wright
C: D. Cousins | D. Jones
User avatar
ny-n-md
Pro Prospect
Posts: 798
And1: 378
Joined: Dec 10, 2009
     

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#2 » by ny-n-md » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:40 am

2010 wrote:
Knicks rookie shooting guard Damyean Dotson wears the same “21,’’ has similar facial features, strong build and the same agent in Happy Walters.

Oh, and one more trait. Dotson also plays defense like former Knicks first-round pick Iman Shumpert.

Tim Hardaway Jr. has noticed the parallels. He played a season-and-a-half with Shumpert.

“Dot, when you see him out there, he’s a football player,’’ Hardaway said. “He guards me every day in practice. He’s going to give you his all, every possession, no matter how tired he is. Built strong, athletic, takes nothing from nobody. That’s what we love.

“Definitely reminds me of Shump. They got that grittiness and desire to play defense.’’

Hearing the Shumpert comparison was a delight.

“Defensewise, he’s a great defender,’’ Dotson said of the Cavaliers guard.
“I’ll take that all day. I keep working on it — whatever I can do to get on the court. Defense is one of my main focuses right now because I know defense has set me apart from a lot of guys.”

Hardaway called him “a sponge.’’ Coach Jeff Hornacek is paying attention to the man the team calls “Dot.”

“Some guys, you’re going, ‘I hope he makes [the shot]’,’’ Hornacek said. “But with Dot, you really think it’s going in. But I think what’s been impressive to the coaches has been his defense. Especially one-on-one. He can get after it.”


http://nypost.com/2017/10/11/knicks-football-player-drawing-comparisons-to-iman-shumpert/


Translation, Shumpert can’t shoot, but I’ll take that defensive comparison. :lol:
"Carmelo was a mentor to me," Porzingis said. "He was a big brother from day one. I texted him to tell him I appreciated that I was able to learn from him. Having him around was important for me. I respect him a lot.”
Wolfgang630
Head Coach
Posts: 6,263
And1: 3,829
Joined: Feb 07, 2016
 

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#3 » by Wolfgang630 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:40 am

He's better than Shump.
User avatar
omerome
RealGM
Posts: 13,330
And1: 3,277
Joined: Aug 22, 2004
Location: Towson, MD

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#4 » by omerome » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:43 am

Shumpert with a jump shot is a great player to have - especially where we got him in the draft.
User avatar
2010
Knicks Forum A Helluva Poster
Posts: 18,880
And1: 8,979
Joined: Jul 24, 2008
       

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#5 » by 2010 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:08 am

Yet we had dudes out here pondering earlier today if Dot was gonna get the shears and become a casualty of the Burke signing.

:lol:
Toronto Raptors

PG: L. Ball | C. Sexton
SG: T. Evans | S. Kilpatrick
SF: K. Knox
PF: D. Green | B. Wright
C: D. Cousins | D. Jones
User avatar
Mecca
RealGM
Posts: 28,653
And1: 10,304
Joined: May 26, 2008
Location: Knicks @ 9 - Mikal, SGA, Knox
     

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#6 » by Mecca » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:14 am

We really need to start him. Youth movement is chief priority and he actually provides some toughness on D.
BAF - Brooklyn Nets
1 | Ben Simmons | Tyus Jones | Jawun Evans
2 | Victor Oladipo | Wayne Ellington | Malachi Richardson
3 | Kyle Korver | Caris LeVert(6th) | Damyean Dotson
4 | Trey Lyles | Troy Williams
5 | Joel Embiid | JaVale McGee
User avatar
2010
Knicks Forum A Helluva Poster
Posts: 18,880
And1: 8,979
Joined: Jul 24, 2008
       

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#7 » by 2010 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:17 am

Mecca wrote:We really need to start him. Youth movement is chief priority and he actually provides some toughness on D.


Start him at who's expense tho? THJr or CLee?
Toronto Raptors

PG: L. Ball | C. Sexton
SG: T. Evans | S. Kilpatrick
SF: K. Knox
PF: D. Green | B. Wright
C: D. Cousins | D. Jones
User avatar
Greenie
RealGM
Posts: 52,776
And1: 25,948
Joined: Feb 25, 2010
Location: Killigan's Island
     

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#8 » by Greenie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:18 am

He's nothing like Chumpert. Don't insult him.
BAF - Pistons
C:Vucevic|Chandler|Okafor
F:Aminu|Anigbogu
F:Thompson|
G:Richardson|Lee
G:Brogdon|Joseph
Head Coach - Dwayne Casey
IR: Morris
User avatar
robillionaire
Analyst
Posts: 3,249
And1: 2,525
Joined: Jul 12, 2015
Location: Manhattan
       

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#9 » by robillionaire » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:21 am

I don't even get this comparison.
User avatar
Capn'O
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 42,072
And1: 25,626
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Location: User Signature Removed
 

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#10 » by Capn'O » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:30 am

2010 wrote:Yet we had dudes out here pondering earlier today if Dot was gonna get the shears and become a casualty of the Burke signing.

:lol:


:lol: No way in Hell. He's not going anywhere. That kid's an NBA player for sure.

But yeah, he's not starting yet either. He does make Lee more expendable.
PG: Kemba/Rose/Felton/Frazier
SG: G. Harris/SGA
SF: Gallo/KCP/Zipser/Dekker
PF: RHJ/Isaac/Poythress
C: Sabonis/Zubac
User avatar
CharlesOakley
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,795
And1: 1,032
Joined: Jun 27, 2006

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#11 » by CharlesOakley » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:48 am

Trade Lee to a good team and let Dot play backup 2.
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 45,620
And1: 16,286
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#12 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:48 am

I can't even go there.
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 45,620
And1: 16,286
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#13 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:49 am

CharlesOakley wrote:Trade Lee to a good team and let Dot play backup 2.


Either Lee or Thomas and O'Quinn.
Slicin N Dicin
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,738
And1: 1,115
Joined: Dec 26, 2011
       

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#14 » by Slicin N Dicin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:56 am

Shumpert man to man + High IQ Off-Ball D + Shooter + Smart Cutter = hell of a steal where he was taken.

Like I said in another thread, the rotation has to be set so him and Frank get PT together
BaF 1.0 - Bucks: Inaugural BaF Champs 2018 (Bye Boogie & Hoodie :( )

2019: Rotation TBD

Adams / KousKous / Mejri
Morris / Gay
Batum / Hood
Baze / Tyler Johnson
CP3 / Dinwiddie / Clark

#27 / Shump / J. Anderson
Slicin N Dicin
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,738
And1: 1,115
Joined: Dec 26, 2011
       

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#15 » by Slicin N Dicin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:57 am

Capn'O wrote:
2010 wrote:Yet we had dudes out here pondering earlier today if Dot was gonna get the shears and become a casualty of the Burke signing.

:lol:


:lol: No way in Hell. He's not going anywhere. That kid's an NBA player for sure.

But yeah, he's not starting yet either. He does make Lee more expendable.


That was stupidity by those dudes is what it was
BaF 1.0 - Bucks: Inaugural BaF Champs 2018 (Bye Boogie & Hoodie :( )

2019: Rotation TBD

Adams / KousKous / Mejri
Morris / Gay
Batum / Hood
Baze / Tyler Johnson
CP3 / Dinwiddie / Clark

#27 / Shump / J. Anderson
User avatar
Knicksfan1992
General Manager
Posts: 8,422
And1: 6,428
Joined: Jun 14, 2012
         

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#16 » by Knicksfan1992 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:18 am

Mecca wrote:We really need to start him. Youth movement is chief priority and he actually provides some toughness on D.


His off ball D needs serious help but he seems like a really willing learner and tough dude. I thought his ceiling was a good 7th-8th man but he's shown me some things on offense outside of shooting that make me think he could be a starter :o
Build A Franchise - OKC
G-Dame
G-Zach Lavine
F- Covington
F- Aaron Gordon
C- Tristan Thompson

-Ersan Ilyasova
-Justin Jackson
-Ron Baker
-Tyler Dorsey
-Nemanja Bjelica
-Jeff Withey
-Joe Young

Exempt
-Edmond Sumner
bigtimeRC3
Senior
Posts: 714
And1: 397
Joined: Jun 25, 2015
 

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#17 » by bigtimeRC3 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:44 am

Shumoert is trash . His only season where he showed potential was his rookie year pre acl. Otherwise he has low iq and thinks he's a star. Dotson is already better than shumpert and doesn't act like he's a superstar .
User avatar
ChuckyFE
Junior
Posts: 315
And1: 345
Joined: Feb 13, 2014
Contact:
 

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#18 » by ChuckyFE » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:01 am

Give me a lineup of:

Ntilikina
Dotson
Hardaway Jnr
Porzingis
Whoeva da Fuq else Yu want

So much athleticism, shooting, length and defense. And now I gotta change my pants.
MetaKnick13
General Manager
Posts: 8,320
And1: 319
Joined: Jan 02, 2003
Location: New York, NY
 

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#19 » by MetaKnick13 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:01 am

Really hope Dotson can be a legit rotation guy down the line. He could end up being a nice little steal for us if he plays up to his potential. Not expecting anything crazy, just hoping he can contribute within the next year or so.
User avatar
Garbagelo
Senior
Posts: 632
And1: 488
Joined: Jul 17, 2015

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#20 » by Garbagelo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:11 am

Shumpert is a below average basketball player, even with the Cavs.

I really hope this is not the bar he is setting for himself.

He is more comparable to Danny Green.

Return to New York Knicks