ImageImageImageImageImage

Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump

Moderators: moocow007, magnumt, Capn'O, Knickstape1214, Thorn, King of Canada, GONYK, NoLayupRule, mrpoetryNmotion, Thugger HBC, Deeeez Knicks, j4remi

User avatar
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 45,195
And1: 7,539
Joined: Dec 06, 2002
Location: Playoffs Fool!
Contact:

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#81 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:12 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:Shumpert shouldn't be in the league at all at this point. I've never seen a player regress below his rookie season before.

Image
User avatar
Capn'O
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 36,809
And1: 19,479
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Location: Let's stop and get a hot dog
 

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#82 » by Capn'O » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:13 pm

blueNorange wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
blueNorange wrote:1. he got banned from college campus
2. he called the girl and apologized for what he did, saying it's not right. nobody should go through what she did and he doesn't wish it on his own mother/sister
3. he put himself in anger management classes
4. the other student is pretty much black balled from the nba because he raped another girl when he transferred to another college.


Seems pretty clear from what I've read that he did something out of consensual bounds to that woman. Don't 2&3 suggest he's aware of it and taking steps to take responsibility and move on? I've had female partners women do things to me that would be considered sexual assault (and has been called such by therapists). I wish they would have called me and granted me half the respect he did there. The woman dropped it and while the other player involved has shown a serial pattern in the behavior there is nothing to suggest Dotson has. We have a player that **** up, bigtime. We can acknowledge that and move on ourselves.

Further, I don't see the point of bringing all this up in a thread evaluating his basketball ability other than to derail and rile people up.

the point i'm getting to is, the public has no idea who dotson is ... the more recognition he gets, the more his ugly past comes back to haunt him.

you don't just rape someone and live the rest of your life normal, it'll alway come back again.


So we do what? Yell at him on a message board and don't acknowledge any other factor of his life? Shame him in public? I don't think that's particularly constructive and could potentially be counterproductive.

The question I would have is whether he will be required to attend DV counseling per NBA policy. That would be appropriate, imo.
BAF - ClippeRS
PG: Walker 310/5|Tim "Clyde" Frazier 10/2|Grant 5/3
SG: G. Harris 160/5|KCP 50/5|W. Johnson 3/1
SF: Gallo 140/3|Dekker 25/3|Bullock 5/1
PF: Isaac 135/5|Harrell 21/4|AMFPB 2/2
C: Pau 95/1|Len 15/4|ZUBLOCKA 20/5
User avatar
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
Posts: 39,632
And1: 4,967
Joined: Jul 29, 2005
Location: los angeles

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#83 » by blueNorange » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:17 pm

reub wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Seems pretty clear from what I've read that he did something out of consensual bounds to that woman. Don't 2&3 suggest he's aware of it and taking steps to take responsibility and move on? I've had female partners women do things to me that would be considered sexual assault (and has been called such by therapists). I wish they would have called me and granted me half the respect he did there. The woman dropped it and while the other player involved has shown a serial pattern in the behavior there is nothing to suggest Dotson has. We have a player that **** up, bigtime. We can acknowledge that and move on ourselves.

Further, I don't see the point of bringing all this up in a thread evaluating his basketball ability other than to derail and rile people up.

the point i'm getting to is, the public has no idea who dotson is ... the more recognition he gets, the more his ugly past comes back to haunt him.

you don't just rape someone and live the rest of your life normal, it'll alway come back again.


What about your ugly present?

my life is pretty chill, i'm at the 2 yard line atm.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Image
camillepd
Analyst
Posts: 3,245
And1: 510
Joined: Apr 03, 2006

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#84 » by camillepd » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:24 pm

Ok, he's another Harvey Weinstein, ok?
User avatar
Tron Carter
General Manager
Posts: 8,129
And1: 5,181
Joined: Jul 20, 2012
Location: NBA Purgatory
 

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#85 » by Tron Carter » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:54 pm

blueNorange wrote:the only player you can compare dotson to is other players that raped a drunk girl.

so derrick rose?


this shtick isn't funny
Frank Ntillmatic aka The French Prince of New York > Midget Smith Jr. #BongaBrigade
User avatar
Tron Carter
General Manager
Posts: 8,129
And1: 5,181
Joined: Jul 20, 2012
Location: NBA Purgatory
 

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#86 » by Tron Carter » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:55 pm

Capn'O wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Seems pretty clear from what I've read that he did something out of consensual bounds to that woman. Don't 2&3 suggest he's aware of it and taking steps to take responsibility and move on? I've had female partners women do things to me that would be considered sexual assault (and has been called such by therapists). I wish they would have called me and granted me half the respect he did there. The woman dropped it and while the other player involved has shown a serial pattern in the behavior there is nothing to suggest Dotson has. We have a player that **** up, bigtime. We can acknowledge that and move on ourselves.

Further, I don't see the point of bringing all this up in a thread evaluating his basketball ability other than to derail and rile people up.

the point i'm getting to is, the public has no idea who dotson is ... the more recognition he gets, the more his ugly past comes back to haunt him.

you don't just rape someone and live the rest of your life normal, it'll alway come back again.


So we do what? Yell at him on a message board and don't acknowledge any other factor of his life? Shame him in public? I don't think that's particularly constructive and could potentially be counterproductive.

The question I would have is whether he will be required to attend DV counseling per NBA policy. That would be appropriate, imo.


c'mon cap, you know he's just being a dick and trolling.
Frank Ntillmatic aka The French Prince of New York > Midget Smith Jr. #BongaBrigade
Ntili-killa
Ballboy
Posts: 3
And1: 3
Joined: Oct 12, 2017

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#87 » by Ntili-killa » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:28 am

blueNorange wrote:
camillepd wrote:
blueNorange wrote:the only player you can compare dotson to is other players that raped a drunk girl.

so derrick rose?

So you have going him guilty even though he was never charged with anything. Nice.

sure he was never charged but there was enough evidence that

1. he got banned from college campus
2. he called the girl and apologized for what he did, saying it's not right. nobody should go through what she did and he doesn't wish it on his own mother/sister
3. he put himself in anger management classes
4. the other student is pretty much black balled from the nba because he raped another girl when he transferred to another college.

open your eyes, men not being charged is part of the problem. they always get away with it. harvey weinstein made a career getting away with it, same with bill cosby. that dude from game of thrones is under heat because he said it's cool playing a guy that rapes beautiful women on the show"


Quite a few good points here. Dots needs to be on a community watchlist at a minimum, in jail as a maximum. Depends on how egregious his crime was. We don't know how bad it was but we do know he is guilty through his actions which followed.
User avatar
Knickstape1214
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 41,768
And1: 19,081
Joined: Jul 16, 2009
Location: Rebuilding
     

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#88 » by Knickstape1214 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:31 am

Ntili-killa wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
camillepd wrote:So you have going him guilty even though he was never charged with anything. Nice.

sure he was never charged but there was enough evidence that

1. he got banned from college campus
2. he called the girl and apologized for what he did, saying it's not right. nobody should go through what she did and he doesn't wish it on his own mother/sister
3. he put himself in anger management classes
4. the other student is pretty much black balled from the nba because he raped another girl when he transferred to another college.

open your eyes, men not being charged is part of the problem. they always get away with it. harvey weinstein made a career getting away with it, same with bill cosby. that dude from game of thrones is under heat because he said it's cool playing a guy that rapes beautiful women on the show"


Quite a few good points here. Dots needs to be on a community watchlist at a minimum, in jail as a maximum. Depends on how egregious his crime was. We don't know how bad it was but we do know he is guilty through his actions which followed.


Hello, Kampuchea. Couldn't wait another hour until the 12 hours were up, huh?
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
Posts: 3,740
And1: 1,776
Joined: Jan 29, 2015

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#89 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:32 am

Ntili-killa wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
camillepd wrote:So you have going him guilty even though he was never charged with anything. Nice.

sure he was never charged but there was enough evidence that

1. he got banned from college campus
2. he called the girl and apologized for what he did, saying it's not right. nobody should go through what she did and he doesn't wish it on his own mother/sister
3. he put himself in anger management classes
4. the other student is pretty much black balled from the nba because he raped another girl when he transferred to another college.

open your eyes, men not being charged is part of the problem. they always get away with it. harvey weinstein made a career getting away with it, same with bill cosby. that dude from game of thrones is under heat because he said it's cool playing a guy that rapes beautiful women on the show"


Quite a few good points here. Dots needs to be on a community watchlist at a minimum, in jail as a maximum. Depends on how egregious his crime was. We don't know how bad it was but we do know he is guilty through his actions which followed.


No we don’t lol we know very little about the case. To condemn him is obviously a stupid rush to judgement, but knock yourself out.
camillepd
Analyst
Posts: 3,245
And1: 510
Joined: Apr 03, 2006

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#90 » by camillepd » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:36 am

Those without sin, cast the first stone.
User avatar
Kampuchea
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,242
And1: 576
Joined: Oct 20, 2010
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
       

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#91 » by Kampuchea » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:05 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:Sucks to know he's like Shumpert, was hoping he had a higher offense ceiling. Maybe he gets dropped for Burke



He absolutely has a higher offensive ceiling and i'm pretty sure when that comparison was made they were only thinking about the defensive side of the ball cause the kid already has a great stroke from 3 point land which Shump can only dream of.


Exactly, the comparison is just way off. I like the Danny Green someone threw out better.
User avatar
Kampuchea
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,242
And1: 576
Joined: Oct 20, 2010
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
       

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#92 » by Kampuchea » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:08 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:Hello, Kampuchea. Couldn't wait another hour until the 12 hours were up, huh?


Just realized my time is still set for Cambodia on this site. I moved out of Cambodia to USA but never updated the time setting on this site, I was wondering why I was blocked until 1AM. :banghead:
User avatar
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 31,761
And1: 7,780
Joined: Jun 23, 2008
         

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#93 » by j4remi » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:35 pm

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/20988465/most-underrated-nba-rookies-season-future

Dotson getting more props as a sleeper rookie for the season in this ESPN Insider article...

Damyean Dotson | New York Knicks | SG

Player type: 3-and-D off-guard | Pick: No. 44

Dotson emerged as a popular sleeper prospect among scouts and executives after winning Portsmouth Invitational Tournament MVP and impressing throughout the pre-draft process. The University of Houston standout answered lingering questions about his dismissal from Oregon in team interviews and eventually signed a three-year guaranteed deal with the Knicks.

Last season, Dotson made more 3s than any 2017 draftee (108) and did so at an impressive 44.3 percent clip. He shoots off movement, has excellent rise on his jumper, flashes good athleticism in space, rebounds his position and makes basic reads out of ball screens. Standing 6-foot-5½ with a 6-foot-9 wingspan, a solid frame and great feet, Dotson can guard both point guards and shooting guards adequately, which allows him to fit in a variety of lineups. Tim Hardaway Jr. (and his $71 million deal) will eat up minutes at the 2 -- and Dotson is a bit redundant to Courtney Lee -- but the rookie guard brings young legs, defensive toughness and proven shot-making to a Knicks franchise that could use more young pieces to get excited about.
BAF - Knicks (26)
PG - Payton(70) Monte Morris(1) Goodwin(2) Taylor(1)
SG - Ntilikina(170) L. Williams(65) G. Clavell(1)
SF - MKG (50) Bogdanovich(25)
PF - Saric(125) Zbo(55) Bertans(10)
C - Gobert(380) Olynyk(17) Hartenstein(3)

Ex - A. Kaba(1)
knuckles862
Sophomore
Posts: 137
And1: 131
Joined: Oct 17, 2013

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#94 » by knuckles862 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:59 pm

If he plays D like shumpert without the stupid reach ins at the near end of the possession I’ll be happy.
User avatar
Fat Kat
RealGM
Posts: 20,609
And1: 8,138
Joined: Apr 19, 2004
     

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#95 » by Fat Kat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:14 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
User avatar
mpharris36
RealGM
Posts: 45,175
And1: 17,789
Joined: Nov 03, 2010
     

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#96 » by mpharris36 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter


outside of being super impressed with dotson the only slight negative I see in his game is he does have a "slower" release. But I don't really see that being too big of an issue outside of having people close out on him quickly before getting the shot off. But he seems to be a good enough shooter to overcome that.
BAF Spurs:

C - Anthony Davis/Zach Collins/Georgios Papa
PF - Dragan Bender/Noah Vonleh/JMM
SF - Jaylen Brown/Bogdan Bogdanovic/Dahntay Jones
SG - Tim Hardaway Jr/Wayne Seldon/Tomas Satoransky
PG - Kris Dunn/Shabazz Napier/Fred VanVleet

$47 cap remaining
seren
RealGM
Posts: 21,304
And1: 1,478
Joined: Jul 21, 2002

Re: RE: Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#97 » by seren » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:23 pm

Capn'O wrote:
blueNorange wrote:1. he got banned from college campus
2. he called the girl and apologized for what he did, saying it's not right. nobody should go through what she did and he doesn't wish it on his own mother/sister
3. he put himself in anger management classes
4. the other student is pretty much black balled from the nba because he raped another girl when he transferred to another college.


Seems pretty clear from what I've read that he did something out of consensual bounds to that woman. At the very least. Don't 2&3 suggest he's aware of it and taking steps to take responsibility and move on? I've had female partners do things to me that would be considered sexual assault (and have been called such by therapists). I wish they would have called me and granted me half the respect he did there. The woman dropped it and while the other player involved has shown a serial pattern in the behavior there is nothing to suggest Dotson has. We have a player that **** up, bigtime. We can acknowledge that and move on ourselves.

Further, I don't see the point of bringing all this up in a thread evaluating his basketball ability other than to derail and rile people up.

I read the police report right after seeing this thread. People need to get their facts straight. He DID NOT call her. The woman, at the suggestion of the police, called all three players involved in order to get confession. Dotson apologized when the woman said she didn't really want to sleep with three men. Dotson said he never had been in a situation like that before and apologized for that. Never admitted nor acknowledged the situation was anything but consensual. He didn't acknowledge that she was too drunk to consent either.

Believe him or not, but at least get the facts straight.

Sent from my XT1575 using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
Posts: 20,010
And1: 5,046
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: New York City the best city in the world
     

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#98 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:59 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter


outside of being super impressed with dotson the only slight negative I see in his game is he does have a "slower" release. But I don't really see that being too big of an issue outside of having people close out on him quickly before getting the shot off. But he seems to be a good enough shooter to overcome that.


Compared to that clip from what I've seen he shoots faster in-game to the point that a slower release in not a real issue with him. He doesn't compromise his form either. Looking at his natural shot it probably was an issue but it look like he's addressed it already.
A new era or error?
User avatar
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 31,761
And1: 7,780
Joined: Jun 23, 2008
         

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#99 » by j4remi » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:02 pm

I want a highlight reel of Dotson grabbing rebounds. Dude always jumps as hard as he can to get them, it's kinda funny when he's completely alone and still two foot gathering into a huge vertical for the rock.
BAF - Knicks (26)
PG - Payton(70) Monte Morris(1) Goodwin(2) Taylor(1)
SG - Ntilikina(170) L. Williams(65) G. Clavell(1)
SF - MKG (50) Bogdanovich(25)
PF - Saric(125) Zbo(55) Bertans(10)
C - Gobert(380) Olynyk(17) Hartenstein(3)

Ex - A. Kaba(1)
User avatar
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
Posts: 20,010
And1: 5,046
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: New York City the best city in the world
     

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#100 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:03 pm

Won't comment on the rape/assault thing because I don't know enough and it looks like the info that is out there is still murky. I'd advise people who don't know enough to do the same. Doubt this guy drops to us like he did if he didn't have that cloud over him.
A new era or error?

Return to New York Knicks