ImageImageImageImageImage

College Basketball / Draft Thread (2)

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Who do you want if we get end up with a mid lottery pick?

Kevin Knox
19%
Miles Bridges
25%
Hamidou Diallo
6%
Troy Brown Jr
4%
Isaac Bonga
4%
Mikal Bridges
13%
Robert Williams
4%
Collin Sexton
7%
Jaren Jackson Jr.
4%
Rui Hachimura
14%

Total votes: 112

HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Re: College Basketball / Draft Thread (2) 

Post#1761 » by HEZI » Wed Dec 6, 2017 12:46 pm

E-Balla wrote:
HEZI wrote:
2010 wrote:
Hami is overrated. Just stop. Knox is the better prospect and every talent evaluator has him rated above Hami.

Diallo is a nice prospect but he's still so raw. Knox is way more advanced in skill that it's not even close who the better player is right now.

Knox ain't even outproducing him much tho. For an advanced product he hasn't been that good. Meanwhile Hami is doing the things that he was supposed to be terrible at (passing, handling the ball, and shooting) and isn't completely failing like expected.

You say its not close but per 40 minutes Hami is averaging 20 points, 7 rebounds, and 4 assists. Knox is averaging 19 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 assists. They also have the same PER. Seriously outside of the Kansas game Knox hasn't been that impressive and definitely hasn't been good enough to justify anyone saying he's way better than Hami.

Compare Hami to another athletic freak people were low on before seeing them in the league - JB. I remember people dogging JB during his freshman year but I kept him at #2 on my draft board. Hami is easily better than he was at Cal so far.

I had Jaylen Brown 2 on my board as well, he was also better than Diallo. Brown didn't play on a very talented team, he had nobody to take pressure off him. Diallo benefits so much from having Knox, PJ Washington, Quade Green. Diallo could never lead, he's not that type of player right now. He's a complimentary piece but not a guy you build around. Knox is similar to Jayson Tatum in that he might not put up the best numbers right now (even though the season is still young) but you can clearly see his skills and potential. He's a guy that can do a little bit of everything, he's also bigger and stronger than Diallo.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#1762 » by E-Balla » Wed Dec 6, 2017 1:13 pm

HEZI wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Diallo is a nice prospect but he's still so raw. Knox is way more advanced in skill that it's not even close who the better player is right now.

Knox ain't even outproducing him much tho. For an advanced product he hasn't been that good. Meanwhile Hami is doing the things that he was supposed to be terrible at (passing, handling the ball, and shooting) and isn't completely failing like expected.

You say its not close but per 40 minutes Hami is averaging 20 points, 7 rebounds, and 4 assists. Knox is averaging 19 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 assists. They also have the same PER. Seriously outside of the Kansas game Knox hasn't been that impressive and definitely hasn't been good enough to justify anyone saying he's way better than Hami.

Compare Hami to another athletic freak people were low on before seeing them in the league - JB. I remember people dogging JB during his freshman year but I kept him at #2 on my draft board. Hami is easily better than he was at Cal so far.

I had Jaylen Brown 2 on my board as well, he was also better than Diallo. Brown didn't play on a very talented team, he had nobody to take pressure off him. Diallo benefits so much from having Knox, PJ Washington, Quade Green. Diallo could never lead, he's not that type of player right now. He's a complimentary piece but not a guy you build around. Knox is similar to Jayson Tatum in that he might not put up the best numbers right now (even though the season is still young) but you can clearly see his skills and potential. He's a guy that can do a little bit of everything, he's also bigger and stronger than Diallo.

You must be forgetting Ivan Rabb was a top 5 prospect and he outplayed JB as a freshman on the same team. Cal was supposed to be way better than they were and half the reason they stunk was because JB looked rough.

Say what you want about Diallo benefitting from guys around him but he's the 2nd best player on the team and he's not much worse than the best player on the team. Knox isn't close to Tatum. Knox doesn't go in the lottery in last year's draft. Y'all bugging idk what the hell you saw to compare him to someone that was consensus top 5 in a very strong draft when he's not consensus top 10 in a weak draft.
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 10,972

Post#1763 » by Reign23 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 1:13 pm

would be cool to package the bulls pick with Lee and/or Kyle to move into middle-late first round.
formerly known as knickst4pe
WajaBawl
Starter
And1: 2,250

Post#1764 » by WajaBawl » Wed Dec 6, 2017 1:16 pm

We need to somehow get Kevin Knox.
RealGM's Scandinavian Correspondent
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#1765 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 3:22 pm

Brown had very little actual offensive basketball skills coming out of college. Unbelievable athlete and a solid straight line cutter / driver, but that's it.
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#1766 » by BeagleBoss » Wed Dec 6, 2017 3:36 pm

Totally fell in love with Mikal last night. Kid can play and has a great motor. Reminds me a little of Ariza.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1767 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 3:37 pm

BeagleBoss wrote:Totally fell in love with Mikal last night. Kid can play and has a great motor. Reminds me a little of Ariza.

Underselling him bigtime, IMO. I'm going with Khris Middleton.
BeagleBoss
General Manager

Post#1768 » by BeagleBoss » Wed Dec 6, 2017 3:39 pm

BeagleBoss
General Manager

Post#1769 » by BeagleBoss » Wed Dec 6, 2017 3:40 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
BeagleBoss wrote:Totally fell in love with Mikal last night. Kid can play and has a great motor. Reminds me a little of Ariza.

Great comparison.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#1770 » by E-Balla » Wed Dec 6, 2017 3:58 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:Brown had very little actual offensive basketball skills coming out of college. Unbelievable athlete and a solid straight line cutter / driver, but that's it.

But great athleticism + work ethic + the talent to improve = good player. Hami is showing a lot of improvement. That's a great thing to me when coupled with his physical abilities.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1771 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 4:00 pm

BeagleBoss wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Great comparison.

Thanks, dude.

The scary thing to me about Bridges is that he's improved every single year since being in the league, and has taken a MASSIVE step on offense this year while remaining the top perimeter defender in college basketball.

Before the knee injury, Khris took a big jump between freshman and soph year, but he was also the #1 option in a different type of system so it was in some ways forced - Nova is way more team oriented, with a better coach and talent surrounding him. Bridges' improvement is coming fluidly playing within the same team concept.

Given Bridges' improvement on a year to year basis, similar to Middleton in college (pre-knee injury) and in pros, I think he'll end up becoming a good off ball creator as well - I know this involves some projection on my part...however, Bridges has the smarts /BBIQ to do it, and absolutely has the work ethic. It's only a matter of time before he's a top tier two-way player in the NBA.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1772 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 4:03 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:Brown had very little actual offensive basketball skills coming out of college. Unbelievable athlete and a solid straight line cutter / driver, but that's it.

But great athleticism + work ethic + the talent to improve = good player. Hami is showing a lot of improvement. That's a great thing to me when coupled with his physical abilities.

Yah, I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm saying that Brown's improvement from college to rookie year is unbelievably impressive given how raw he was on offense in college. I do like Hami, just not as much as a few other players...but I do think he absolutely should be scouted by us. I love how Hami was working with Brickley over the summer.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#1773 » by E-Balla » Wed Dec 6, 2017 4:16 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:

Yah, I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm saying that Brown's improvement from college to rookie year is unbelievably impressive given how raw he was on offense in college. I do like Hami, just not as much as a few other players...but I do think he absolutely should be scouted by us. I love how Hami was working with Brickley over the summer.

I guess it because I'm low on everyone really outside the top 4 guys (and Porter ain't in my top 4... The 4th is Sexton). I'd rather take the high potential guy when the choice is between a much if mehs.
el13adnino
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,855

Post#1774 » by el13adnino » Wed Dec 6, 2017 4:24 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
el13adnino wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:You Gotta love this picture...Excellent shot from tonight.

it was on 2 white dudes ? ... less impressed

...who cares...? It's an awesome photo and he played unbelievably on both ends.

i care ... hence im posting my opinion. agreed he played unbelievably on both ends
:crazy:
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#1775 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:26 pm

Meanwhile....on the Bridges train.

RealGM
And1: 39,071

Post#1776 » by 2010 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:38 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
BeagleBoss wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Great comparison.

Thanks, dude.

The scary thing to me about Bridges is that he's improved every single year since being in the league, and has taken a MASSIVE step on offense this year while remaining the top perimeter defender in college basketball.

Before the knee injury, Khris took a big jump between freshman and soph year, but he was also the #1 option in a different type of system so it was in some ways forced - Nova is way more team oriented, with a better coach and talent surrounding him. Bridges' improvement is coming fluidly playing within the same team concept.

Given Bridges' improvement on a year to year basis, similar to Middleton in college (pre-knee injury) and in pros, I think he'll end up becoming a good off ball creator as well - I know this involves some projection on my part...however, Bridges has the smarts /BBIQ to do it, and absolutely has the work ethic. It's only a matter of time before he's a top tier two-way player in the NBA.

I'm giving you your props. You put me on to Mikal Bridges.

but...

...your other guy (Robert Williams) looking suspect on offense like he didn't improve at all.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#1777 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:39 pm

One of the wackest arguments is the age of Mikal. Mikal Turned 21, Literally EIGHT DAYS BEFORE DONOVAN MITCHELL TURNED 21. Would we say Donovan Mitchell WONT be Improving in the Future? HELL TO FUCCKING NO. So why try and use Mikal age against him like Fat Boy be doing. This dude is showing an amazing growth in his game. I posted the Growth in Numbers a couple of days ago, and its REAL. There is no way in hell he is maxed out in talent yet. Bridges is the classic Late Bloomer Sleeper, that a good college program turned into a monster. I'm glad he went to a tough-minded program like NOVA. People want to limit him as a just this or just that....I bet that was the same **** Donovan Mitchell heard. It was said just three weeks before the draft he did not even think he could be drafted in the first round. Mikal is playing his way into the Lottery, and if not for Marvin Bagley, Player of the year would be his to lose this early.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#1778 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:45 pm

Condor. Pterodactyl. Wingspan. Defender.

All of those words have been used to describe Mikal Bridges, and correctly so. His 7-foot-1 wingspan makes him a menace on defense. Since being eligible to play after a redshirting his freshman year, he had been known for his ability to lockdown defensively, jump passing lanes, and just give opponents a tough time with his length and the way he approaches the floor on defense. After all, he was named Co-Big East Defensive Player of the Year in his first season a starter in 2016-17, sharing the honor with his former teammate Josh Hart and Creighton's Khyri Thomas.

One word that doesn't come to mind when describing Bridges: scoring...at least until this year.

Not only did he start to breach the NBA Draft conversation going into the 2017-18 season, but he's also grown as an all-around player--scorer included. Taking a leadership role inspired him to place an even greater emphasis on improving himself during the off-season, refining his play to be able to contribute in every facet of the game.

"I try to be a leader, so the young guys can see that," Bridges said. "Me, when I do the little things, the offense will come to me."

Through nine games this season, Bridges is the leading scorer for the 'Cats, a sentence that probably wouldn't have been stated in the last couple of years. He's averaging 19.0 points per game, while shooting above 50 percent overall and from beyond the arc. His recent career-high 28 point performance against the Gonzaga Bulldogs--one of the top defensive teams in college basketball--proves he's for real.

The secret? There is none, but the answer is simple.

"Just be aggressive and try to be a leader," he said on Tuesday night.

While his sudden surge in scoring this season might have come as a surprise, considering his secondary role or as some viewed his last few seasons--a player that can drain a three-pointer in an offensive system that works or doesn't require much from him--his coach isn't too surprised.

"He's a real high character guy, he probably could have done more of this last year and the year before," Jay Wright said. "He just got better and better. This year he knows he's the captain and the leader, so he's playing more aggressive. Last year, he would pass up a lot of those shots to Kris and Josh, not because he wasn't confident but because he knows it wasn't his turn. This year, he knows it's his turn."

No longer restricted to being just a catch-and-shoot guy from the perimeter, Bridges has demonstrated the ability to create his own shot, as well as drive his way inside and finish at the basket--which he learned from his former captains, should always be a dunk, and not a layup.

It's something he had to get used to throughout his years as a Wildcat. He claimed to always take a more finesse approach with laying the ball in since his freshman year--a habit his coaches and former teammates would dog him for. Now, he's looking to throw down.

Sure, layups and dunks are all worth the same amount of points, but there's a certain excitement that comes with finishing off a drive to the basket with the exclamation point that comes from a slam, compared to the quiet grace of a layup. That excitement gets him and his teammates going, and it carries over onto the defensive end of the court--where he already excels.

His aggression in lowering his shoulder, attacking the basket and finishing with a dunk has led to a couple of noteworthy plays, including a couple of posterizers. His latest highlight reel play against Gonzaga, where he dunked on two Bulldogs, especially stands out.

"He's just doing that more and more consistently this year," Wright said of Bridges' dunks at the basket. "If you go the basket for a layup--get a layup blocked or miss--the older guys would get on you. Kris and Josh would get on people 'you have to dunk that!'"

He sent the crowd at Madison Square Garden into a frenzy a handful of times and had those around the nation--watching from home--jumping out of their seats.

His play on the court is sparks excitement and potentially an even bigger conversation.

Josh Hart had his signature game in the 2016 Never Forget Tribute Classic, putting together an unforgettable performance against a Notre Dame team that was leading the Wildcats at halftime. That game launched him into the conversation for National Player of the Year.

With a career-high 28 points and the most three-pointers he's ever made in a single game (five), as well as noteworthy plays on the defensive end of the court against Gonzaga, is this Bridges' signature moment? Is this enough to firmly place him in the conversation of contenders in the hunt for the highest individual accolade in college basketball?

"That's interesting," Wright said of the comparison to Hart. "I'd really like that for Mikal, that would be nice."

His game has evolved exponentially through the first nine games of the season, and this appears to only be the beginning.

One thing is for certain, he's not throwing away his shot. It is his turn now.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#1779 » by Mecca » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:52 pm

I was at the Rutgers game last night. Miles Bridges is the best MSU player I've ever witnessed sans maybe Gary Harris. Exceptional athlete. Strap coming along.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#1780 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:54 pm

Mecca wrote:I was at the Rutgers game last night. Miles Bridges is the best MSU player I've ever witnessed sans maybe Gary Harris. Exceptional athlete. Strap coming along.

Return to New York Knicks