ImageImageImageImageImage

Preliminary Look At +/-: Why Kanter Needs To Be Benched

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Re: Preliminary Look At +/-: Why Kanter Needs To Be Benched 

Post#201 » by blueNorange » Thu Nov 2, 2017 2:58 pm

Mecca wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Even if Willy looks bad right now, which he does, he has shown more defensive potential than what Kanter has. Isn't this year all about development?

developing guys that have potential, willy isn't improving anything ... he's pretty much a finished product.

and sorry, his defense is just as garbage. bad defense is bad defense, there's no such thing as "he sucks less".

By not playing Willy you're essentially murdering his trade value. You need to either trade him or play him

well then that's his own fault then, huh.

should've came to camp in shape and not entitled to playing time.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,610

Post#202 » by Billy Goat » Thu Nov 2, 2017 3:06 pm

Kanter went 100% from the field last night

Fact check: True
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#203 » by blueNorange » Thu Nov 2, 2017 3:07 pm

Billy Goat wrote:Kanter went 100% from the field last night

willy had as many turnovers as fouls

fact check: true

the rockets went on a huge run once willy checked in

players like willy come and go every year in the draft

LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,610

Post#204 » by Billy Goat » Thu Nov 2, 2017 3:09 pm

blueNorange wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:Kanter went 100% from the field last night

willy had as many turnovers as fouls

the rockets went on a huge run once willy checked in

players like willy come and go every year in the draft

I loved Willy last year. Dude looks like a different player. Just lethargic. Kanter has been playing his tail off as has Oquinn. It is what it is.
knuckles862
Analyst
And1: 2,571

Post#205 » by knuckles862 » Thu Nov 2, 2017 4:04 pm

blueNorange wrote:
knuckles862 wrote:Watch us extend kanter and trade Willy :banghead: :banghead:

yeah must suck trading someone who at best will hopefully be what kanter is right now.

i swear some of you think hernangomez is gonna drop 18 point 10 rebounds and 4 assists. :lol:

You are assuming that kanter is good which he isn’t like I said see what Willy can do not saying he will become better but I mean it’s worth a try we aren’t gonna cry over losing kanter he at best is a 6th man on a playoff team he isn’t gonna take you places
JM88
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#206 » by JM88 » Fri Nov 3, 2017 3:59 am

I don't care what these numbers say. The eye test is more important to me (especially this early in the season). No denying that Kanter is terrible at defense. I like his effort on the boards, especially offensively, and most importantly: he is really good in the post. And his presence definetly makes it all easier for Porzingis. He is much better on offense than Hernangomes at this point in their careers, and Kanter being in there helps Porzingis more.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 934

Post#207 » by tleikheen » Fri Nov 3, 2017 4:22 am

Porzingas having a monster year while the guy next to him(Kanter) is making baskets at a .646 % clip and scoring 14ppg and 10 rpg in 24 minutes.Porzingas might make it through the year with Kanter beasting and allowing Porzingas to play more one on one offense .
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#208 » by dakomish23 » Fri Nov 3, 2017 5:15 am

Both of these are bench bigs. We should focus on the one who's on a rookie deal and could possibly turn into more. Kanter is what he is - a good 3rd big who can carry the offensive load for the 2nd unit
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,615

Post#209 » by stuporman » Fri Nov 3, 2017 6:16 am

It's actually pretty straight forward..... KP and KOQ are the best rim protectors so one of the two needs to be on the floor at all times to have the best chance at a good defense. This means Kanter needs to start so KOQ can be on the floor when KP is not, it's really just common sense if you want to have any hope of a decent defense with the back ups because Kanter isn't going to cut it.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#210 » by dakomish23 » Fri Nov 3, 2017 1:36 pm

You shouldn't be sacrificing defense anywhere, but if you have to, you do it on the second unit. It's one thing when someone is carrying the offense. See IT. It's another thing when you're talking about the 3rd option who not just a below average defender, but an abysmal defender.

Ultimately we're probably best served finding a PF who can cover out on the perimeter but also protect the rim I.E. Noel, Dray, Millsap etc.

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Post#211 » by CharlesOakley » Fri Nov 3, 2017 3:23 pm

I think Kanter has earned the starting spot based on what we have seen of Willy. That's part of building a winning culture and I'm happy if Jeff is making decisions based on effort. I think Kanter is our best center but I don't like his game long-term for the team we are trying to build. I think building his trade value and then trading him for either a two-way player or a pick makes a lot of sense. When Noah comes back WIlly is going to have to work even harder to see the floor. If he doesn't, he can stay on the bench until next season.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 4,904

Post#212 » by Jeffrey » Fri Nov 3, 2017 3:29 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:I think Kanter has earned the starting spot based on what we have seen of Willy. That's part of building a winning culture and I'm happy if Jeff is making decisions based on effort. I think Kanter is our best center but I don't like his game long-term for the team we are trying to build. I think building his trade value and then trading him for either a two-way player or a pick makes a lot of sense. When Noah comes back WIlly is going to have to work even harder to see the floor. If he doesn't, he can stay on the bench until next season.

Exactly. Kanter won that position. His defense might be **** but what other center is playing two ways?
FKF
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#213 » by FKF » Sat Nov 4, 2017 12:48 am

dakomish23 wrote:
FKF wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
I don't see many folks hating on MCD. If your theory had any merit, why isn't that the case? Maybe because he isn't a black hole on offense AND a complete sieve on defense AND blocking the path for a member of the youth movement who has shown promise.

If it was KOQ we traded for AND these were the results we were getting, I'd be ecstatic. But it's not the case. Instead it's KOQ who's stabilized this team when he comes in for Kanter.

Only you irrational Melo haters think like this and the fact you think like this screams that one of the main reasons you are supporting him is BECAUSE we traded Melo for him.

Pretty lame approach to being a fan for a team.

Highest paid players have a history of being easy to hate, while lower salaries are easier to love. Look at Joakim Noah today, a former all nba 1st team, look at Allan Houston when he got $100m. Shandon Anderson vs Lavor Postell ? Etc etc

Pretty lame that is? True nonetheless. No reason to deny that and I understand that.

O’Quinn doesn’t stabilise the team as you say, more than Kanter who starts and can get the job done against starters. Now don’t misunderstand me, I like KOQ, I like his attitude, he has had his moments, very good but also very bad.

I’m not a fan of Kanter, he’s expendable, but I can understand why they liked him in OKC. He’s a force down low, he has better hands than I heard people give him credit for, indeed he’s a top 5 rebounder and FG% scorer in the East.
He holds himself accountable. He is a bonafide NBA starter at his position. He’d start on the Warriors, he’s start on the Cavs, and on a large amount of NBA squads.

To call for his benching after three straights wins and good production is ridiculous.
Knicks fans can’t jut enjoy wins can’t they ?

In what world would Kanter start for GSW and CLE? GSW, a team with beautiful ball movement and amazing defense is going to start a black hole who can't defend? :lol: CLE, who has such little shooting that they started KLove at C, is going to throw Kanter in the mix? :lol:

You dudes are delusional if you think he starts for contenders.

Let's get back to the original subject.

You tried to lie and say the reason why Kanter isn't supported is because he was the return in the Melo deal. That couldnt be be more false & it has nothing to do with his salary. He's not good outside the paint on the offensive end. I choose not to ignore the 90% of the court where he has minimal to zero impact.

The fact that you assume people think how you said, screams that a major reason for your defense of Kanter is because it was Melo that was sent out to bring him in.

Is this a Melo thread or Kanter thread ?

Kanter is better than Pachulia or Thompson, period.

12/9/3 at the half today. Badly outplaying Tyson Chandler.
Thank coach he doesn’t listen to this bs...
New-York Knicks fan since 1998, based in Paris, FR.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#214 » by dakomish23 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 1:10 am

FKF wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
FKF wrote:
Highest paid players have a history of being easy to hate, while lower salaries are easier to love. Look at Joakim Noah today, a former all nba 1st team, look at Allan Houston when he got $100m. Shandon Anderson vs Lavor Postell ? Etc etc

Pretty lame that is? True nonetheless. No reason to deny that and I understand that.

O’Quinn doesn’t stabilise the team as you say, more than Kanter who starts and can get the job done against starters. Now don’t misunderstand me, I like KOQ, I like his attitude, he has had his moments, very good but also very bad.

I’m not a fan of Kanter, he’s expendable, but I can understand why they liked him in OKC. He’s a force down low, he has better hands than I heard people give him credit for, indeed he’s a top 5 rebounder and FG% scorer in the East.
He holds himself accountable. He is a bonafide NBA starter at his position. He’d start on the Warriors, he’s start on the Cavs, and on a large amount of NBA squads.

To call for his benching after three straights wins and good production is ridiculous.
Knicks fans can’t jut enjoy wins can’t they ?

In what world would Kanter start for GSW and CLE? GSW, a team with beautiful ball movement and amazing defense is going to start a black hole who can't defend? :lol: CLE, who has such little shooting that they started KLove at C, is going to throw Kanter in the mix? :lol:

You tried to lie and say the reason why Kanter isn't supported is because he was the return in the Melo deal. That couldnt be be more false & it has nothing to do with his salary. He's not good outside the paint on the offensive end. I choose not to ignore the 90% of the court where he has minimal to zero impact.

The fact that you assume people think how you said, screams that a major reason for your defense of Kanter is because it was Melo that was sent out to bring him in.

You're the one who brought up Melo. Don't be upset when it gets turned around to reflect your pettiness.

Kanter would not start on GSW or CLE, period.

Box score stats vs impact. Chandler is a corpse.

Unfortunately our FO is dumb enough to think like this

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
FKF
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#215 » by FKF » Sat Nov 4, 2017 1:32 am

dakomish23 wrote:
FKF wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

You're the one who brought up Melo. Don't be upset when it gets turned around to reflect your pettiness.

I brought up Melo, it doesn’t change the fact that Kanter has outplayed all our other bigs and made his spot into the starting lineup.
Sorry you don’t like it.
Let’s agree to disagree.
New-York Knicks fan since 1998, based in Paris, FR.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#216 » by dakomish23 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 1:38 am

FKF wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
FKF wrote:

I brought up Melo, it doesn’t change the fact that Kanter has outplayed all our other bigs and made his spot into the starting lineup.
Sorry you don’t like it.
Let’s agree to disagree.

You must not be watching KOQ.

Agreed on disagreeing.

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,116

Post#217 » by drekwins » Sat Nov 4, 2017 1:47 am

NoLayupRule wrote:the eye test tells me that Kanter really helps KP get his shots

so does KOQ but Kanters offensive ability inside keeps a defender honest

then again with the unicorn nothing stops him

I'm personally very impressed with Kanter. His defense is not as bad as advertised. If he had ANY athleticism, it wouldn't even be a negative. Positioning wise, he's okay. On the other hand, his offense has been fantastic. He's not selfish nor passive. He knows when he has a scoring opportunity and takes advantage. He's a great offensive rebounders... which is something that no one else brings. He doesn't allow his man to drift off him and clog up lanes from the other guys. In fact, he's even double-teamed at times. He moves the ball.

Kanter has been a pleasant surprise. I thought that he'd be maddening to watch. So far, he isn't. He has athletic limitations but he's definitely passionate, gives effort and his presence is felt by the other team. He fits within team bball.
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#218 » by HighRyzer83 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 2:32 am

dakomish23 wrote:
FKF wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

It is you whos hating on Kanter because he was traded for your boyfriend who was nothing short of a sandbag here.
Defense and offensive flows much better with kanter. Numbers dont lie, people lie.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#219 » by dakomish23 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 2:38 am

HighRyzer83 wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
FKF wrote:

It is you whos hating on Kanter because he was traded for your boyfriend who was nothing short of a sandbag here.
Defense and offensive flows much better with kanter. Numbers dont lie, people lie.

Another dude who sounds like a scorned ex GF.

Proof yet again of the mindstate of the Melo haters on here and the fact they think everyone is as pathetic and petty as they are.

I repped MCD all game. He was traded for Melo.

I didn't bring up Melo in this thread.

Once again, you sound like a fool.

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#220 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 2:55 am

Kanter would absolutely not start on Cleveland or GSW, his defense is **** and even Lee was yelling at him today (happened right in front of me), and his inability to score outside paint clogs lane on KP’s drives.

KOQ is a straight stud on defense and his passing more than makes up for his lack of scoring (even though he’s also a beast finisher).

Return to New York Knicks