ImageImageImageImageImage

Preliminary Look At +/-: Why Kanter Needs To Be Benched

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,512

Re: Preliminary Look At +/-: Why Kanter Needs To Be Benched 

Post#41 » by NYKnickerbocker » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:21 pm

Get Anus the **** out

i dont need the stats to see he's not helping us in the long run in games. His D cancels out all those offensive rebounds and beastly post scoring. He does look like a nice fit on offense with KP tho. if only he passed more like willy, or had a pint of potential to get better on D like willy
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#42 » by ChaosHamster » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:26 pm

You can look decent in every stretch, and then have one (like we had against Denver in the 3rd), when you get **** on, and it could not be even your fault, but you get -25 in 10 minutes and all your previous solid stretches ar negated.

In the bigger sample size, if the same **** happens again and again, then you can at least draw a parallel that maybe you are an issue why those terrible stretches are happening.

But 6 games are just not enough.
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#43 » by KnickFan33 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:27 pm

Being honest, I know nothing of advanced statistics. A six game sample is pretty small. Even then, would it be possible to check the same statistics for the past 3 games and compare to the first 3?
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,305

Post#44 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:38 pm

ctorres wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
ctorres wrote:If Kanter was playing 32 mpg, I would get the cause for concern.

At 25 mpg, I assume he helps more than he hurts the team.

If he helped the team more than he hurt the team, the stats wouldn't paint the picture they did.

So what do we do from here?

Do we have anyone we can contact with close ties to the Knicks organization?

How can we get Kanter benched until he can be traded?

If the argument is now settled that Kanter's play significantly hurts the entire team more than it helps, then as a forum we should start figuring out ways to have Kanter completely removed from the team.

I know a guy....
:beer: RIP mags
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,384

Post#45 » by robillionaire » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:42 pm

I imagine the lineup isn't going to change much until we lose a game
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#46 » by E-Balla » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:45 pm

ChaosHamster wrote:+/- after 6 games is terrible evaluation tool.

Well that's why the look at these numbers was preliminary and I've already talked about what I saw in the game threads live as it happened. This is just icing on the cake at this point.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#47 » by Greenie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:46 pm

Didn’t need stats to tell me he needs to go
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#48 » by E-Balla » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:47 pm

ChaosHamster wrote:You can look decent in every stretch, and then have one (like we had against Denver in the 3rd), when you get **** on, and it could not be even your fault, but you get -25 in 10 minutes and all your previous solid stretches ar negated.

In the bigger sample size, if the same **** happens again and again, then you can at least draw a parallel that maybe you are an issue why those terrible stretches are happening.

But 6 games are just not enough.

In his case in every game of the season outside of the Nets game he's had an overwhelmingly large negative impact. That's enough to draw a conclusion when we know who's on the bench and how much better he is than Kanter.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#49 » by Red Vines » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:57 pm

Keep saying it: Kanter forces opposition to play big. If teams go small we are not the fastest or most athletic team and we are at a disadvantage. For example, Cavs were forced to play Thompson who has been horrible and it was to our advantage.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#50 » by HEZI » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:58 pm

So according to these "advanced stats" Michael Beasley should be starting ahead of Kristaps Porzingis. Cool!
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,928

Post#51 » by islanders11040 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:02 pm

+/- is hella overrated. I realized that today when someone was using it today to convince people that Middleton is wayyy better then Giannis on the general board
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#52 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:02 pm

Red Vines wrote:Keep saying it: Kanter forces opposition to play big. If teams go small we are not the fastest or most athletic team and we are at a disadvantage. For example, Cavs were forced to play Thompson who has been horrible and it was to our advantage.

I see the same thing

and its not like were getting killed in the post

sure he's missing some help defense but its the guards getting beat

I dont hear as much crying about THjr's horrible defense
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,207

Post#53 » by seren » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:18 pm

Can't play him.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,384

Post#54 » by robillionaire » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:24 pm

Does his defense even matter in this era of basketball? This is a 3point shooting league now
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#55 » by fatalogic » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:34 pm

I think the team needs more time to evaluate what's going on. He can't be traded till December so why not play him. It's be beginning of the season, the first 20 games are about figuring out where your team stands and what assets you have. Other teams want to know how players play in different situations. If they just kept him on the bench why would another team want him.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#56 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:37 pm

fatalogic wrote:I think the team needs more time to evaluate what's going on. He can't be traded till December so why not play him. It's be beginning of the season, the first 20 games are about figuring out where your team stands and what assets you have. Other teams want to know how players play in different situations. If they just kept him on the bench why would another team want him.

He can be traded. He cannot be traded if he's going to be packaged with another player from the Knicks. He's literally the same player he was in OKC and Utah, so it's not like the change of scenery/situation has changed much.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,486

Post#57 » by CharlesOakley » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:38 pm

It seems like we are trying to build an identity as a defensive squad. We drafted Frank and grabbed Dotson. Lee was a good defender already. THJ looks above average on D and has been giving effort. KP's D is solid. O'Quinn goes hard on D. Ron Baker goes hard on D. Jack has been better than expected on that end of the floor. I just don't see how Kanter, at his salary, fits in with a defensive team.

He makes too much to be a backup but he is an ideal backup. He is a guy you bring in to punish teams for going small and to score. If he is playing 35+ minutes a night, then you are giving up too much on the defensive end. Having said all that, I think management is doing the right thing by showcasing him as a starter. I could see Milwaukee, Brooklyn, Atlanta or Dallas taking a look.
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#58 » by fatalogic » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:50 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
fatalogic wrote:I think the team needs more time to evaluate what's going on. He can't be traded till December so why not play him. It's be beginning of the season, the first 20 games are about figuring out where your team stands and what assets you have. Other teams want to know how players play in different situations. If they just kept him on the bench why would another team want him.

He can be traded. He cannot be traded if he's going to be packaged with another player from the Knicks. He's literally the same player he was in OKC and Utah, so it's not like the change of scenery/situation has changed much.

As another team, if he doesn't play why would you want him if he is benched is what I'm saying. To a GM these players are just assets. Why would I want what your trying to sell if it's not good enough for you to use. He can't be traded for a package but what player could we get for him straight up. It doesn't make sense to even think of trades till at least January, when most players can be traded without restrictions. I want to see Willy start but it's so early in the season. Lets let the coaching staff see what they have. I think people are really underestimating the effect of a shortened preseason + earlier start.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#59 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:53 pm

fatalogic wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

As another team, if he doesn't play why would you want him if he is benched is what I'm saying. To a GM these players are just assets. Why would I want what your trying to sell if it's not good enough for you to use. He can't be traded for a package but what player could we get for him straight up. It doesn't make sense to even think of trades till at least January, when most players can be traded without restrictions. I want to see Willy start but it's so early in the season. Lets let the coaching staff see what they have. I think people are really underestimating the effect of a shortened preseason + earlier start.

That's fair. The thing is, his value has stayed the same and there's no reason to think it'll change. I personally didn't value him highly before the trade, and I don't right now either. He can be traded for a package - he cannot be combined with another player on the Knicks. I don't think the shortened preseason / earlier start has had any impact on his game at all. He's literally been the same exact player he's been every year in the league...there's no reason to think it'll change now.

My thing is, there's no reason not to always be looking for trades with him.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#60 » by Billy Goat » Wed Nov 1, 2017 12:03 am

He's a sporting 64% TS. He's been a monster on the boards. Yeah, lets glue him to the bench. :roll:

Return to New York Knicks