ImageImageImageImageImage

OT-Woj: Bledsoe to Bucks

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Re: OT-Woj: Bledsoe to Bucks 

Post#241 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 11:06 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
As far as I know, 2nd round picks very often get 4 year contracts (although I might be wrong...? - if I am, I'd love to see the numbers showing contract breakdowns). If a team drafts someone like Jokic, they don't exercise the team option on the 4th year so he can become a RFA. I don't remember a 2nd round player having his 4th year opted into and becoming a UFA. The same thing happened with Parsons and the Rockets - HOU opted not to bring him back, but then declined to match the Mavs' deal.

Dotson will be a RFA at the end of his 3 year contract, but aside from him, are there others? The key is that 2nd rounders have less guaranteed money tied to them, but the team can still have the player be a RFA. That's huge. Even though RFA is a year earlier, the cheap cap hit for the first contract is awesome.

Pretty sure teams can offer whatever. 2 year , 3 year 4 year. Options etc.

Some guys drafted in the 2nd round have 2 year deals. All depends what is offered. Dotson got a 3 year offer. Some guys get 2 years.

My first post responding to BBALLER4FR was this - "More contract options - team options, less guaranteed, less salary per year, etc.

Pickings will be thinner so you need a good scouting department, but early 2nds have great value."

The whole point of my initial post was that there is more contract variations available for 2nd round picks because you can offer less money, fewer years, etc and still have the ability to retain the player going forward. My bad if I didn't make that clear.
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 3,979

Post#242 » by Besart19 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 11:09 pm

An offer of Kanter, Sessions and Kuz for Bledsoe and Tyson would've been a much better offer for the Suns
Strength and Honour!
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,348

Post#243 » by dakomish23 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 11:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Where's mph

This also means that if MIL keeps the pick through 2020, PHX will have both MIL & MIA 2021 draft pick unprotected.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#244 » by robillionaire » Wed Nov 8, 2017 12:01 am

moocow007 wrote:
robillionaire wrote:So just hypothetically here, if they'd have offered him for Kanter and a first would yall have done it

I still wouldn't

No way. Regardless of how well the Knicks are doing the chances of the Knicks ending up with a lottery pick is greater than the Bucks.
And Kanter is better than Monroe IMHO.

Kanter is better but Monroe is an expiring and Kanter is most likely not, so Monroe is "better" for the purpose of being an expiring contract in a rebuild which is why they traded for him
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#245 » by DowNY » Wed Nov 8, 2017 12:06 am

robillionaire wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
robillionaire wrote:So just hypothetically here, if they'd have offered him for Kanter and a first would yall have done it

I still wouldn't

No way. Regardless of how well the Knicks are doing the chances of the Knicks ending up with a lottery pick is greater than the Bucks.
And Kanter is better than Monroe IMHO.

Kanter is better but Monroe is an expiring and Kanter is most likely not, so Monroe is "better" for the purpose of being an expiring contract in a rebuild which is why they traded for him

This ^ & Kanter still can't be traded with other players yet. Only by himself. He & KP building good chemistry though. He picks up the rebounding slack & KP picks up the defensive slack.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#246 » by nedleeds » Wed Nov 8, 2017 12:12 am

Thank god we didn't trade for him. Just 2 more years without an idiotic deal or trade for a player not in our cores age range and we're home free.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#247 » by Knicksfan20 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 12:24 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
As far as I know, 2nd round picks very often get 4 year contracts (although I might be wrong...? - if I am, I'd love to see the numbers showing contract breakdowns). If a team drafts someone like Jokic, they don't exercise the team option on the 4th year so he can become a RFA. I don't remember a 2nd round player having his 4th year opted into and becoming a UFA. The same thing happened with Parsons and the Rockets - HOU opted not to bring him back, but then declined to match the Mavs' deal.

Dotson will be a RFA at the end of his 3 year contract, but aside from him, are there others? The key is that 2nd rounders have less guaranteed money tied to them, but the team can still have the player be a RFA. That's huge. Even though RFA is a year earlier, the cheap cap hit for the first contract is awesome.

Pretty sure teams can offer whatever. 2 year , 3 year 4 year. Options etc.

Some guys drafted in the 2nd round have 2 year deals. All depends what is offered. Dotson got a 3 year offer. Some guys get 2 years.

My first post responding to BBALLER4FR was this - "More contract options - team options, less guaranteed, less salary per year, etc.

Pickings will be thinner so you need a good scouting department, but early 2nds have great value."

The whole point of my initial post was that there is more contract variations available for 2nd round picks because you can offer less money, fewer years, etc and still have the ability to retain the player going forward. My bad if I didn't make that clear.

You were clear. Just bringing up a negative about 2nd rounders. If on a shorter contract, they will get paid quicker.

Return to New York Knicks