ImageImageImageImageImage

OT (kind of): If the Knicks Make the Playoffs, I'm Coming Home

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

jstudabaka
Bench Warmer
And1: 681

Re: OT (kind of): If the Knicks Make the Playoffs, I'm Coming Home 

Post#21 » by jstudabaka » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:39 pm

Yeah, as a life-long NY'er, for all I know the world is as big as the subway system
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#22 » by MelosSoreWrist » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:51 pm

Bill Pidto wrote:I was worried this was a quote from Melo.

Found this on the OKC board. Not sure if it originated or been posted here.

NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
Jstarks3
General Manager
And1: 740

Post#23 » by Jstarks3 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 4:31 pm

who the **** are you?
by IllmaticHandler

I just got off the Phone with NAS. He said if you listen closely to the intro he not saying **** Jayz. He knew one day a cat name Joey would play himself on realgm. Ether was meant to be used in the future. :o
CowboyBebop
Starter
And1: 2,134

Post#24 » by CowboyBebop » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:27 pm

TheDavinciCHODE wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:been living in Queens for 27 years since I was born. cant imagine myself living outside the NYC area to be honest.

anyway, you and me both hope you get to make a trip back home. the garden is nuts so you should drop by even if we dont make the playoffs

There's a whole world to explore man. The great things you hear about New York are true of other places, and to be honest, there are some cities that way more wild, insane, and interesting culturally than NYC in my opinion. Sure, NY has a unique vibe, and has unrivaled opportunities for business in North America. But you really don't know how you'd enjoy another place until you've tried. I traveled extensively for most of my life before finally making the leap 5 years ago to living abroad full-time.

and honestly, Bangkok destroys New York in terms of fun, history, and food culture. At least if you like Asian food. Bangkok is borderline lawless in some places and it costs 1/5th or less of what it costs in NYC. Open air raves on top of skyscrapers til 8am, underground clubs full of Thai models looking for Western guys, full meals for a $1 from street vendors who puts their lives into their food carts (and don't just sell crappy boiled hot dogs like you get in Central Park or whatever).

etc, etc,. New York is amazing....but Bangkok, Saigon, and other major Asian cities make it look tame. You have to try it.

What do you do for a living that allowed you to travel? I’m in school studying web development right now. I hope I’ll be able to live abroad someday.
CowboyBebop wrote:Will Lebron be able to get warriors players suspended again so he has another chance to win this year? Or will he fail and get yet another loss on an already unimpressive finals record?
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#25 » by AmazingJason » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:50 pm

TheDavinciCHODE wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:been living in Queens for 27 years since I was born. cant imagine myself living outside the NYC area to be honest.

anyway, you and me both hope you get to make a trip back home. the garden is nuts so you should drop by even if we dont make the playoffs

There's a whole world to explore man. The great things you hear about New York are true of other places, and to be honest, there are some cities that way more wild, insane, and interesting culturally than NYC in my opinion. Sure, NY has a unique vibe, and has unrivaled opportunities for business in North America. But you really don't know how you'd enjoy another place until you've tried. I traveled extensively for most of my life before finally making the leap 5 years ago to living abroad full-time.

and honestly, Bangkok destroys New York in terms of fun, history, and food culture. At least if you like Asian food. Bangkok is borderline lawless in some places and it costs 1/5th or less of what it costs in NYC. Open air raves on top of skyscrapers til 8am, underground clubs full of Thai models looking for Western guys, full meals for a $1 from street vendors who puts their lives into their food carts (and don't just sell crappy boiled hot dogs like you get in Central Park or whatever).

etc, etc,. New York is amazing....but Bangkok, Saigon, and other major Asian cities make it look tame. You have to try it.

I'm planning to move abroad early next year to digital nomad in Asia (Taiwan/Singapore/Japan). Last November, I decided that I needed to make a huge change in my life, to start following my dreams, challenge every aspect of myself and to fulfill my potential. It's a huge reason why I'm not on RealGM anymore; it was a massive time-waster, and frankly, this place was becoming kind of a sh*thole with horrible posters :D One of those dreams is to learn a new language and successfully live my daily life abroad in different countries, and perhaps finding one to settle down in the future. In December, I started learning Mandarin, and I now have command of 1,650 words for listening and speaking. In August, I started doing language exchange over Skype with Taiwanese natives and created a network of friends whom I will meet when I move there. My experience has been so good thus far - the girls there are so attractive, yet kind and down-to-earth and also successful and hard-working - that I may consider settling down there long-term.

I absolutely love NYC. I will miss running and cycling in Central Park, playing tennis at Flushing Meadows, Halal food, Mexican food, legit pizza, my friends and family...but I was born and raised here, lived here practically my entire life, and my heart just isn't into the city and the people here anymore.

I'm not as into the wild lifestyle and the lawlessness, but I do want to commend you for taking the leap and not settling for the typical life of pursuing the "American dream." There really is an entire world to explore.
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,310

Post#26 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Nov 8, 2017 8:36 pm

TheDavinciCHODE wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:I think you should stay in Bangkok. Real fans don't hedge their bets.

You're coming home if we make the playoffs but, you're not convinced?

I can't respect this Dude. Bangkok must have took your manhood

So you want me to come home for good? Not sure what you front me. Do you want me to fly across the world to watch non-Knick games?

I think i was drunk but, I'm to stoned to remember!
:beer: RIP mags
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#27 » by NYKAL » Wed Nov 8, 2017 9:38 pm

I''m from Hollis...went to Susan B Anthony and Andrew Jackson and I'll be coming home too. I live in Maryland now
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,861

Post#28 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Thu Nov 9, 2017 8:10 am

CowboyBebop wrote:
TheDavinciCHODE wrote:

What do you do for a living that allowed you to travel? I’m in school studying web development right now. I hope I’ll be able to live abroad someday.

I was a copywriter and blogger but now I'm transitioning to more Amazon stuff. I optimize listings (searching for high-volume key terms and then writing copy that ranks higher in the Amazon engine and converts buyers). I'd like to get into the business side of things more, so, for example, actually selling the products rather than just doing the listings. IDK, still mulling it over. I'm happy where I'm at now.

I love life in Asia. I head back to Europe to chill in a different country in the summers. Last summer I stayed in Belgrade, Serbia. Web Dev is something you can do remotely. Why not give Bali, Chiang Mai, or Saigon a chance? They're cheap enough and the networking opportunities are endless.

honestly, I could do 0 client acquisiton and get work solely through word of mouth or remote working groups with connections of mine and still work full-time.
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,861

Post#29 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Thu Nov 9, 2017 8:12 am

AmazingJason wrote:
TheDavinciCHODE wrote:

I'm planning to move abroad early next year to digital nomad in Asia (Taiwan/Singapore/Japan). Last November, I decided that I needed to make a huge change in my life, to start following my dreams, challenge every aspect of myself and to fulfill my potential. It's a huge reason why I'm not on RealGM anymore; it was a massive time-waster, and frankly, this place was becoming kind of a sh*thole with horrible posters :D One of those dreams is to learn a new language and successfully live my daily life abroad in different countries, and perhaps finding one to settle down in the future. In December, I started learning Mandarin, and I now have command of 1,650 words for listening and speaking. In August, I started doing language exchange over Skype with Taiwanese natives and created a network of friends whom I will meet when I move there. My experience has been so good thus far - the girls there are so attractive, yet kind and down-to-earth and also successful and hard-working - that I may consider settling down there long-term.

I absolutely love NYC. I will miss running and cycling in Central Park, playing tennis at Flushing Meadows, Halal food, Mexican food, legit pizza, my friends and family...but I was born and raised here, lived here practically my entire life, and my heart just isn't into the city and the people here anymore.

I'm not as into the wild lifestyle and the lawlessness, but I do want to commend you for taking the leap and not settling for the typical life of pursuing the "American dream." There really is an entire world to explore.

Yeah Asian women are amazing...but jealous and extremely clingy. So be careful. Thanks for the kind words. The world is an amazing place. I haven't looked back and never regretted it. This time has been such an adventure and way better than I could have imagined.

Good luck with life in Asia! The nomad experience is life-changing. I'm sure you'll crush.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,212

Post#30 » by Kampuchea » Thu Nov 9, 2017 12:56 pm

AmazingJason wrote:

I’m no party animal and still love Cambodia and Thailand.

I’ve been to Taiwan(Taipei), Japan (Tokyo,Osaka) and Singapore. I enjoyed all 3, but almost moved to Taiwan. I felt the character of the country was endearing. Singapore not my style, was missing heart.

As for the girls I’ve “known” Chinese Japanese Thai and Cambodian. Not counting random hookups, dating. Cambodia and Thai it is, the culture is just so playful and I love that about them. NY girls keep trying to be on Sex in the City, high maintenance as ****.

I first went to Asia with my Ex, went in the future alone. Go alone, hop in a bar and make a ton of friends from all over the world. So easy connecting with other travelers.
frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Post#31 » by frogfood » Thu Nov 9, 2017 2:36 pm

No respect for the sex tourist OP who couldn't cut it here, GTFOH
IAmTheBest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,803

Post#32 » by IAmTheBest » Thu Nov 9, 2017 9:05 pm

knicksNOTslick wrote:I thought the same thing, that I couldn't imagine myself living outside NYC. Don't get me wrong, I love New York and I will always go back cuz my family's there. But there's plenty of great places to live in. I grew up in Queens as well, went to NYU for college and I just had to leave and see what's out there. I'm 31 now and I just bought a house in San Diego. I love it here.

As for Knicks games, I can just drive to LA for the night, catch a Knicks-Clippers game like I did last year and planning to see Knicks-Lakers in January.

TheDavinciCHODE wrote:There's a whole world to explore man. The great things you hear about New York are true of other places, and to be honest, there are some cities that way more wild, insane, and interesting culturally than NYC in my opinion. Sure, NY has a unique vibe, and has unrivaled opportunities for business in North America. But you really don't know how you'd enjoy another place until you've tried. I traveled extensively for most of my life before finally making the leap 5 years ago to living abroad full-time.

Oh yeah I realize that there is so much more to the world than NYC.

I've been to san diego, LA (lived there for a month), miami, chicago (lived there for 2 months although it's basically a poor man's NYC altho cheaper)....the list goes on when it comes to US/Canada

I've also visited and lived in foreign countries. Peru for a little over a month. Mumbai, India for over a month. Islamabad, Pakistan for nearly a month. Dusseldorf and Berlin, Germany for a few weeks

I dont know if south east asia, which is what you're recommending, is better than the places I've visited, but you can miss me with that 3rd world crazy asian megacity stuff. India and Pakistan were nice places to visit but I wouldnt really want to live there. The value of life is very little in these places. Everything is corrupt. There is no social contract. I dont know what you mean by borderline lawless but that's what Mumbai and Islamabad were. Mumbai is the most populous city in the world and is the true probably the closest you are going to get to "not tame" besides Baghdad lol. If you pay a cop enough in these places you can do whatever you want. If you want to kill a goat in the middle of the road and and bbq it there you can do it. Everyone is connected to a criminal group or corrupt government and if you **** with the wrong people there is nothing you can do about it. It's possible to get weapons but youll end up outgunned by the mafias or corrup law enforcement and **** anyway. I am of Afghan descent so I blend in looks wise, but once I opened my mouth with American accent everyone is looking at you. People from these regions, including my parents, give up everything for a chance to live in America. Bangkok and Saigon might be better but Ive still heard of Western expats being locked up in Thai prison for bull "crimes" Hell we just saw Liangelo Ball's ass in hot water over literally shoplifting in China. Dont know how common it is but stay safe

As far as fun and food...NYC has underground clubs and world class food too man lol. Maybe the clubs arent as crazy but there is no way the food in Thailand is overall better. New York has every cuisine you can imagine and the authenticity, while not 100%, is like 95% if you go to the good places (where there are a lot of). In bangkok you will never find phenomenal foods of every other cuisine on the planet, while you will find that in NYC on including excellent Thai food. NYC street vendors arent limited to hot dogs either lol. Halal carts are godly. On the streets of NYC, you get northern chinese food, eastern/southern chinese food, north indian food, south indian food, middle eastern food, afghan food, jamaican food, continental western food, cambodian food, mexican food, latin american food, the list goes on...from street vendors.

When it comes to north american cities, I did not fit into the west coast flow at all. Everything there is slow. Everyone there is indirect, social justice warrior, and concerned with small talk for politeness sake. Food isnt as good in LA. People arent as down to earth. As much as I cant stand boston I'd rather live in boston than san francisco or something lol. I will say that Miami is ace. Blows LA out of the water in terms of night life and overall vibe. All I need is NYC and the 2 some odd hour flight to miami
CowboyBebop
Starter
And1: 2,134

Post#33 » by CowboyBebop » Thu Nov 9, 2017 9:13 pm

TheDavinciCHODE wrote:
CowboyBebop wrote:
TheDavinciCHODE wrote:

I was a copywriter and blogger but now I'm transitioning to more Amazon stuff. I optimize listings (searching for high-volume key terms and then writing copy that ranks higher in the Amazon engine and converts buyers). I'd like to get into the business side of things more, so, for example, actually selling the products rather than just doing the listings. IDK, still mulling it over. I'm happy where I'm at now.

I love life in Asia. I head back to Europe to chill in a different country in the summers. Last summer I stayed in Belgrade, Serbia. Web Dev is something you can do remotely. Why not give Bali, Chiang Mai, or Saigon a chance? They're cheap enough and the networking opportunities are endless.

honestly, I could do 0 client acquisiton and get work solely through word of mouth or remote working groups with connections of mine and still work full-time.

I appreciate the response.
CowboyBebop wrote:Will Lebron be able to get warriors players suspended again so he has another chance to win this year? Or will he fail and get yet another loss on an already unimpressive finals record?
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,212

Post#34 » by Kampuchea » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:22 am

IAmTheBest wrote:I dont know if south east asia, which is what you're recommending, is better than the places I've visited, but you can miss me with that 3rd world crazy asian megacity stuff. India and Pakistan were nice places to visit but I wouldnt really want to live there. The value of life is very little in these places. Everything is corrupt. There is no social contract. I dont know what you mean by borderline lawless but that's what Mumbai and Islamabad were. Mumbai is the most populous city in the world and is the true probably the closest you are going to get to "not tame" besides Baghdad lol. If you pay a cop enough in these places you can do whatever you want. If you want to kill a goat in the middle of the road and and bbq it there you can do it. Everyone is connected to a criminal group or corrupt government and if you **** with the wrong people there is nothing you can do about it. It's possible to get weapons but youll end up outgunned by the mafias or corrup law enforcement and **** anyway. I am of Afghan descent so I blend in looks wise, but once I opened my mouth with American accent everyone is looking at you. People from these regions, including my parents, give up everything for a chance to live in America. Bangkok and Saigon might be better but Ive still heard of Western expats being locked up in Thai prison for bull "crimes" Hell we just saw Liangelo Ball's ass in hot water over literally shoplifting in China. Dont know how common it is but stay safe

As far as fun and food...NYC has underground clubs and world class food too man lol. Maybe the clubs arent as crazy but there is no way the food in Thailand is overall better. New York has every cuisine you can imagine and the authenticity, while not 100%, is like 95% if you go to the good places (where there are a lot of). In bangkok you will never find phenomenal foods of every other cuisine on the planet, while you will find that in NYC on including excellent Thai food. NYC street vendors arent limited to hot dogs either lol. Halal carts are godly. On the streets of NYC, you get northern chinese food, eastern/southern chinese food, north indian food, south indian food, middle eastern food, afghan food, jamaican food, continental western food, cambodian food, mexican food, latin american food, the list goes on...from street vendors.

Thailand is best for Thai foods, NYC is great for every food.

How expensive if you killed someone where you visited? It cost you $1K in Cambodia if you killed a poor person. You paid off their family.

If someone was dieing on the side of the road, ambulance won’t pick them up if the person looks poor. And the people would just snap photos, if lucky a western person comes by and helps the injured. Need to be careful helping out, they’ll try and scam you saying you are responsible for the injury.

I had an accident and the cops emptied out my wallet and tried to scam me saying accident was my fault. Thankfully truth came out on the local news.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#35 » by King of Canada » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:36 am

Man this thread has some long ass posts. All I gotta say is find your niche and what makes your soul sing. Life is too short for bull. I live
My life for my kids. I have an undergrad in business and work a bull office job. I’m dreaming of becoming a blacksmith Lately. I also build furniture. Find yourself.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:

Return to New York Knicks