ImageImageImageImageImage

Before you get too hyped about our success....

Moderators: moocow007, magnumt, Capn'O, Knickstape1214, Thorn, King of Canada, GONYK, NoLayupRule, mrpoetryNmotion, Thugger HBC, Deeeez Knicks, j4remi

Rotten Apple
General Manager
Posts: 8,503
And1: 4,879
Joined: Jun 25, 2016
     

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#61 » by Rotten Apple » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:59 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:we're basically winning on kp's back. the defense is bad until late in the game. we have been down for most of the game in the last couple. so it's basically about whether he can keep this up. it's probably unfair to ask of him.


Yep

He went nuclear so other dudes were able to fill in the gaps.


That’s why it’ll be interesting to see if this is sustainable. I think he’s averaging more than our next 2 scorers combined.

It’s kinda reminding me of the Jets season so far. Jets started 0-2(Knicks 0-3) then started a streak, Knicks as well. Jets are now in a slump. Will the Knicks fall into one?

Gonna be interesting.
NYKnicks6
Junior
Posts: 382
And1: 191
Joined: May 19, 2010
Location: MSG
         

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#62 » by NYKnicks6 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:10 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:The Knicks are free of the triangle and Jeff is allowed to coach. He is doing what he did in Phoenix with young guys. They will deliberately tail off to get in the lottery if things go bad but they have definitely improved according to the mandate.


Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

In the half court we are still running triangle sets. Just at a quicker pace.
Image
User avatar
stuporman
RealGM
Posts: 18,316
And1: 3,015
Joined: Nov 27, 2005
Location: realistic skeptical optimist

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#63 » by stuporman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:31 pm

Is not sucking as bad as many people thought for the first dozen games to be considered "success" now? Hmmm..well, it's a step in the right direction at least, it's progress.
Ugly win > Pretty loss
Those who'd rather see their team fail so they can be right are fans of their opinion not the team.
:meditate:
User avatar
K P 6
RealGM
Posts: 31,354
And1: 9,801
Joined: Jun 27, 2006
Location: Getting over screens with Gusto.
Contact:
 

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#64 » by K P 6 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:46 pm

stuporman wrote:Is not sucking as bad as many people thought for the first dozen games to be considered "success" now? Hmmm

Look at the numbers. Defense and efficiency on offense is the catalyst. Its not like when the Nets were winning and people were saying they are better than us. Think what you want. we can only get better
Image
Ntilikina Gang. SMFPB CMFGB SMFMB KMFPB FMFNB
amit wrote:Frank prime will be like 10 ppg. Hes not that kind of PG and we knew it since he got drafted. Thats why scorers players around frank will be the bast for him
jstudabaka
Pro Prospect
Posts: 834
And1: 206
Joined: Mar 21, 2010

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#65 » by jstudabaka » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:50 pm

If KP keeps up at least 80-90% of his current play -- which is a big if -- this team looks to be a mid-30s/high-30s-win team at least. And that's fine. I wouldn't consider the Knicks a treadmill team, even if that's a treadmill record. The thing is, if you're winning in the mid 30s/high 30s with young players that have capacity to improve, you're not going to be stuck on the treadmill. The whole idea that you need multiple high lottery picks to build a winner isn't really accurate. Actually, I don't think many teams have won that way. For good reason, too. The period of prolonged losing that it takes to acquire those picks can be poisonous to an organization's culture. The Knicks got a couple of relatively high lottery picks. If those guys can build a winning culture. we can readily add pieces from the mid-round of the draft or free agency. So don't feel bad if the Knicks are a bubble team. It's all about the trajectory of Frank and KP, and to a lesser extent THJr.
Jeff Van Gully
RealGM
Posts: 11,369
And1: 5,199
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
Location: Harlem
       

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#66 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:00 pm

NYKnicks6 wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:The Knicks are free of the triangle and Jeff is allowed to coach. He is doing what he did in Phoenix with young guys. They will deliberately tail off to get in the lottery if things go bad but they have definitely improved according to the mandate.


Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

In the half court we are still running triangle sets. Just at a quicker pace.


lots of them. pinch post and blind pig are still going down like whoa. horny is working in the UCLA flex he ran to death in phoenix too now. still not seeing as much of that as i expected. the p&r is working very well these days because of all the movement.

difference is we playing defense and moving bodies and ball muuuuuuch better than we have in a very long time.
que sera sera
Jeff Van Gully
RealGM
Posts: 11,369
And1: 5,199
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
Location: Harlem
       

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#67 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:01 pm

jstudabaka wrote:If KP keeps up at least 80-90% of his current play -- which is a big if -- this team looks to be a mid-30s/high-30s-win team at least. And that's fine. I wouldn't consider the Knicks a treadmill team, even if that's a treadmill record. The thing is, if you're winning in the mid 30s/high 30s with young players that have capacity to improve, you're not going to be stuck on the treadmill. The whole idea that you need multiple high lottery picks to build a winner isn't really accurate. Actually, I don't think many teams have won that way. For good reason, too. The period of prolonged losing that it takes to acquire those picks can be poisonous to an organization's culture. The Knicks got a couple of relatively high lottery picks. If those guys can build a winning culture. we can readily add pieces from the mid-round of the draft or free agency. So don't feel bad if the Knicks are a bubble team. It's all about the trajectory of Frank and KP, and to a lesser extent THJr.


say it again! treadmill is when you're doing 40 wins at maximized potential. this team is pretty fugging far from what it can be. this group getting 40 wins is a statement. add development and some key acquisitions and you have something.

soooo different from a team full of 30-year-olds winning 45 games for 4 years straight.
que sera sera
User avatar
stuporman
RealGM
Posts: 18,316
And1: 3,015
Joined: Nov 27, 2005
Location: realistic skeptical optimist

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#68 » by stuporman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:04 pm

K P 6 wrote:
stuporman wrote:Is not sucking as bad as many people thought for the first dozen games to be considered "success" now? Hmmm

Look at the numbers. Defense and efficiency on offense is the catalyst. Its not like when the Nets were winning and people were saying they are better than us. Think what you want. we can only get better


Can only get better? No, they can get worse, too... this is the Knicks. It's progress sure but success? I would hope the team has higher goals for success than you do if this is what you consider success.

When were the Nets winning? You mean that couple games they won? Wow....they beasting, right? :lol:
Ugly win > Pretty loss
Those who'd rather see their team fail so they can be right are fans of their opinion not the team.
:meditate:
User avatar
K P 6
RealGM
Posts: 31,354
And1: 9,801
Joined: Jun 27, 2006
Location: Getting over screens with Gusto.
Contact:
 

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#69 » by K P 6 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:23 pm

stuporman wrote:
K P 6 wrote:
stuporman wrote:Is not sucking as bad as many people thought for the first dozen games to be considered "success" now? Hmmm

Look at the numbers. Defense and efficiency on offense is the catalyst. Its not like when the Nets were winning and people were saying they are better than us. Think what you want. we can only get better


Can only get better? No, they can get worse, too... this is the Knicks. It's progress sure but success? I would hope the team has higher goals for success than you do if this is what you consider success.

When were the Nets winning? You mean that couple games they won? Wow....they beasting, right? :lol:

Yup they were 3-2 coming to face us leading the league in scoring and we were 0-3 and a lot of people were saying they were better than us and they share the ball and have a system. No one is sayng success but we are better than what people thought and its mainly because of defense which is not fools gold offense which is why i brought up the Nets.

Your response to the facts about defense and offensive efficiency was "They are the knicks". You sound like you're stuck in the past and scared to be good.
Image
Ntilikina Gang. SMFPB CMFGB SMFMB KMFPB FMFNB
amit wrote:Frank prime will be like 10 ppg. Hes not that kind of PG and we knew it since he got drafted. Thats why scorers players around frank will be the bast for him
User avatar
stuporman
RealGM
Posts: 18,316
And1: 3,015
Joined: Nov 27, 2005
Location: realistic skeptical optimist

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#70 » by stuporman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:32 pm

K P 6 wrote:
stuporman wrote:
K P 6 wrote:Look at the numbers. Defense and efficiency on offense is the catalyst. Its not like when the Nets were winning and people were saying they are better than us. Think what you want. we can only get better


Can only get better? No, they can get worse, too... this is the Knicks. It's progress sure but success? I would hope the team has higher goals for success than you do if this is what you consider success.

When were the Nets winning? You mean that couple games they won? Wow....they beasting, right? :lol:

Yup they were 3-2 coming to face us leading the league in scoring and we were 0-3 and a lot of people were saying they were better than us and they share the ball and have a system. No one is sayng success but we are better than what people thought and its mainly because of defense which is not fools gold offense which is why i brought up the Nets.

Your response to the facts about defense and offensive efficiency was "They are the knicks". You sound like you're stuck in the past and scared to be good.


I'm not stuck in the past but track record does play a role in how things are viewed in context, there's no reason to chest pound over an impressive start. The Knicks can fall apart and bottom out worse than they started this season, there is no "only up" for any situation.

I won't deny there are promising indicators and they are based in sound basketball play but as long as Dolan is at the top I won't count on quality management to produce consistent improvement, that needs to be proven over time, not a dozen games in October and November.

Try to grow past the goldfish memory of reassessing everything every 3 games or play by play as it happens on these types of forums, see the long game, see the context of time.
Ugly win > Pretty loss
Those who'd rather see their team fail so they can be right are fans of their opinion not the team.
:meditate:
NYKnicks6
Junior
Posts: 382
And1: 191
Joined: May 19, 2010
Location: MSG
         

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#71 » by NYKnicks6 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:27 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
NYKnicks6 wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:The Knicks are free of the triangle and Jeff is allowed to coach. He is doing what he did in Phoenix with young guys. They will deliberately tail off to get in the lottery if things go bad but they have definitely improved according to the mandate.


Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

In the half court we are still running triangle sets. Just at a quicker pace.


lots of them. pinch post and blind pig are still going down like whoa. horny is working in the UCLA flex he ran to death in phoenix too now. still not seeing as much of that as i expected. the p&r is working very well these days because of all the movement.

difference is we playing defense and moving bodies and ball muuuuuuch better than we have in a very long time.

I didn't watch many Suns games from Horny's tenure there, but what the eye test shows me is we are running similar sets to the Spurs sets from 3, 4 years ago.
Image
Forbes
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,318
And1: 539
Joined: May 25, 2010
Location: Queens
 

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#72 » by Forbes » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:36 am

Honestly, if KP keeps playing like the this and doesn’t get fatigued like he has in past season and the rest of the East continue their foolery I’m assuming we would make the playoffs.

Aside from how well we are playing, personally I would rather that we were not playing so well. I wanna get a top 3 pick. Unless star free agents are about to Lineup to play KP, Free agency is last thing I’m thinking about with building around KP/ adding the next star. We just need another star that can play team ball.
User avatar
Handledatruth
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,116
And1: 640
Joined: Aug 13, 2004

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#73 » by Handledatruth » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:41 am

To the OP. Defense travels. No matter what sport.
Jeff Van Gully
RealGM
Posts: 11,369
And1: 5,199
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
Location: Harlem
       

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#74 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:47 am

NYKnicks6 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
NYKnicks6 wrote:In the half court we are still running triangle sets. Just at a quicker pace.


lots of them. pinch post and blind pig are still going down like whoa. horny is working in the UCLA flex he ran to death in phoenix too now. still not seeing as much of that as i expected. the p&r is working very well these days because of all the movement.

difference is we playing defense and moving bodies and ball muuuuuuch better than we have in a very long time.

I didn't watch many Suns games from Horny's tenure there, but what the eye test shows me is we are running similar sets to the Spurs sets from 3, 4 years ago.


Coach Nick BBALLBREAKDOWN did an excellent video on horny suns offense
que sera sera
NYKnicks6
Junior
Posts: 382
And1: 191
Joined: May 19, 2010
Location: MSG
         

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#75 » by NYKnicks6 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:19 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
NYKnicks6 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
lots of them. pinch post and blind pig are still going down like whoa. horny is working in the UCLA flex he ran to death in phoenix too now. still not seeing as much of that as i expected. the p&r is working very well these days because of all the movement.

difference is we playing defense and moving bodies and ball muuuuuuch better than we have in a very long time.

I didn't watch many Suns games from Horny's tenure there, but what the eye test shows me is we are running similar sets to the Spurs sets from 3, 4 years ago.


Coach Nick BBALLBREAKDOWN did an excellent video on horny suns offense

cool thanks. I'll check it out
Image
Jeff Van Gully
RealGM
Posts: 11,369
And1: 5,199
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
Location: Harlem
       

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#76 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:59 am

Welp
que sera sera
Jeff Van Gully
RealGM
Posts: 11,369
And1: 5,199
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
Location: Harlem
       

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#77 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:00 am

Wrong thread
que sera sera
User avatar
prophet_of_rage
Head Coach
Posts: 6,769
And1: 1,208
Joined: Jan 06, 2005

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#78 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:55 pm

NYKnicks6 wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:The Knicks are free of the triangle and Jeff is allowed to coach. He is doing what he did in Phoenix with young guys. They will deliberately tail off to get in the lottery if things go bad but they have definitely improved according to the mandate.


Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

In the half court we are still running triangle sets. Just at a quicker pace.


I don't see us running a lot of the triangle. I see a lot of our actions coming out of screen actions on and off ball and we're in a lot of four out, four low and five out sets versus the strict 2-2-1 where the triangle begins.
PeoplesChamp
Pro Prospect
Posts: 917
And1: 582
Joined: Feb 22, 2016

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#79 » by PeoplesChamp » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:08 pm

Get hyped. Go crazy. Lose your ****. Dream of knocking the Cavs off in the first round.

It's called being a fan.

We have zero stakes in this game played by millionaires and owned by billionaires.

So if you lose your shyt having fun with the team's progress, then go nuts. I know I am.
blue and orange
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,663
And1: 146
Joined: Nov 06, 2012
     

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#80 » by blue and orange » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:38 pm

Of course I have realistic expectations about this team, but they are reeling me in and getting me to care about the knicks winning again, last night sucked but its a great feeling watching an actual team without all the drama.

Return to New York Knicks