ImageImageImageImageImage

Willy Hernangomez is still not happy about not playing via rotoworld

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

cruwinas
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,531

Re: Willy Hernangomez is still not happy about not playing via rotoworld 

Post#181 » by cruwinas » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:35 pm

Greenie wrote:
magnumt wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Tough defenders but Kanter and Timmy start...

As others have said, they do what WillyG & Kuz does/did, but atm better.

--Mags :beer:

What does Kuz do? Nothing. That’s why he got cut.

Willy is going through this because of Kanters contract. Kanter can’t be ANOTHER large contract on the bench.

This season Kuz is doing nothing so far. He got cut because NBA teams can not have more than 15 players under the contract.
:crazy:
AndriPerdhian93
Pro Prospect
And1: 249

Post#182 » by AndriPerdhian93 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:59 pm

Willy need to man up and work hard, willy need to look up to kp lol.
What
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#183 » by Knicksfan1992 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:08 am

Sark wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:Funny thing about Willy, Kyle, and Kanter is that they can all rebound, but aren't really that athletic and can't jump.

Forgetting Noah for a moment, we have three centers and only room to play 2.

Kyle's playing because he can defend.

The real test is between Kanter and Willy. Kanter's the better scorer (sorry, but it's true), neither can play any defense, both aren't really that athletic. Willy's 2 years younger and is only in his 2nd year while Kanter is in his 7th. However, Kanter came in great shape to start training camp. Willy still looks out of shape (even after playing in FIBA) and seems to be like three steps slow.

Kanter has the advantage in two areas. Came in shape and can score. Why does Willy deserve to play over him?

Yes, Willy probably would have been playing if we didn't trade Melo. By trading Melo, we had to absorb a center. It's just a sad reality, but it can't be changed now.

But when you look at it past this season, and into next season and beyond, it's apparent that Kanter will be here for next season (he will opt in), while Willy can be here much longer. Kyle is the one that will opt out, and we will not have the cap space to pay him. The Knicks have to determine who will be here in 2019/2020 and beyond. Willy + KP is the obvious choice. Noah's contract will be coming off or he will be stretched. Do we want to be paying Kyle O'Quinn $15m+ per year into his 30s? Or does it make more sense to keep WHG, who will be 25 at that time?

One is good and the other isn't. Pretty simple answer
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#184 » by Knicksfan1992 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:09 am

How much more does Kyle O have to do for y'all to put some respeck on his name?
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,294

Post#185 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:16 am

I would love to see Willy get some minutes but Kanter is so much more polished than he is right now, AND he’s only two years older. Kyle plays better defense than Hernangomez and finishes well himself, and has a nice little offensive game in general. Noah, whenever he plays is probably going to steal time from Willy also.

I’d love to see him develop but realistically it’s not in the cards. Going forward, I’d rather keep Kanter if I had to choose.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#186 » by Oscirus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:33 am

IAmTheBest wrote:
Oscirus wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:
KP was willing to spurn the president of the Knicks with 13 rings behind his name, the man who actually drafted him, for carmelo fukin anthony. KP literally went and played in a world tournament without consulting the knicks because he was pissed. and this was when KP was a sophomore averaging 18 points a game.

KP the type of dude to ignore his coach for months

Let's not act like KP is all about the team and whatnot. He has patterns of showing no hesitation to cut off from the organization if he feels like they are not taking him or his colleagues seriously.

And now he's averaging 30 ppg and getting mvp chants at the garden. You tell me how it will affect his pull

KP didn't spurn management for Melo. If anything Janis basically told us quite the opposite, he spurned management to make a statement in regards to the way things were being run. He was trying to be a leader.

KP definitely has pull but he's not going to use it to get his boy undeserved playing time. That benefits neither him nor the team.

A sophomore skipping an exit meeting and ignoring the head coach for months has nothing to do with being a leader. Almost all the retired pro ballers agreed upon this point. Even Clyde Frazier and Oak lol. KP bailing and then ignoring hornacek was a bitch move to be honest. And he ultimately did it for Melo. He didnt like the wway Melo's situation was being treated and he was protesting the management.

I'm not saying KP is going to use his pull to get Willy undeserved playing time. KP seems to understand willy being benched. I'm talking about Willy being traded.

You'll get no argument from me that it was the wrong thing to do. But his reasons for doing it weren't for Melo. He couldn't give a **** about Melo. Melo was in his way, he benefited from their chasing him our.

KP's not going to waste his pull or time trying to stop his boy from being traded. If it happens, it happens, KP will leave him a nice goodbye note.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Post#187 » by rammagen » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:52 am

Knicksfan20 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
oquinn is not a 4. not in the modern nba. thank god jeff abandoned those 2 center lineups.

would be nice if KO could play there, but unless we face twin towers somewhere, he's gotta play 5.

but i get the point. he'd at least hustle to the point where you would rather reward him by playing him out of position than giving those minutes to someone who doesn't deserve to play.

Think of it this way... oquinn is a better defender and rebounder at the 4 then Beasley is. If he is capable of defending the position on defense, He can play the position. Oquinns midrange is money;, has good vision and is a good passer, he wouldn’t hurt us much on the offensive end. He needs more minutes imo. Beasley should be racking up dnps

It is nice to know I am not the only one who sees this, I am not saying every night but just enough to get willy some burn
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#188 » by nedleeds » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:44 am

He makes 1/15 what Kanter makes and neither player will matter in 3 years. See if somebody will take Enes while he's playing 'well'.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Post#189 » by PrecociousNeoph » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:46 am

this makes me sad.
“Bye, Felicia.”
April madness
Senior
And1: 404

Post#190 » by April madness » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:34 pm

Oscirus wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:
Oscirus wrote:
KP didn't spurn management for Melo. If anything Janis basically told us quite the opposite, he spurned management to make a statement in regards to the way things were being run. He was trying to be a leader.

KP definitely has pull but he's not going to use it to get his boy undeserved playing time. That benefits neither him nor the team.

A sophomore skipping an exit meeting and ignoring the head coach for months has nothing to do with being a leader. Almost all the retired pro ballers agreed upon this point. Even Clyde Frazier and Oak lol. KP bailing and then ignoring hornacek was a bitch move to be honest. And he ultimately did it for Melo. He didnt like the wway Melo's situation was being treated and he was protesting the management.

I'm not saying KP is going to use his pull to get Willy undeserved playing time. KP seems to understand willy being benched. I'm talking about Willy being traded.

You'll get no argument from me that it was the wrong thing to do. But his reasons for doing it weren't for Melo. He couldn't give a **** about Melo. Melo was in his way, he benefited from their chasing him our.

KP's not going to waste his pull or time trying to stop his boy from being traded. If it happens, it happens, KP will leave him a nice goodbye note.

I am pretty sure he did give a **** about Melo. What I mean here is that the way Melo was treated was an additional detail of the bigger picture of the dysfunction of the whole organization. It was just another sign things are being run wrong and probably another reason he and his team felt something should be done about it.

About trading Willy - I agree with your point. Especially if trade improves the team.
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM
And1: 4,648

Post#191 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:47 pm

I understand his frustration but his defensive advantage over Enes is not great (or is neutral) and Enes has elite offensive skills and is pretty perfect on that end next to KP. Enes' issues have always been defensive and, frankly, Hornacek takes Enes out as well at the end of games if he needs better defense and throws in Lance T.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#192 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:49 pm

Kanter was a beast again last night. Oquinn has had 2 poor outings in a row. I want to see Willy play, but dude has to want It bad enough to earn it. Guys ahead of him are just better and more experienced.
Ewing2Melo
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#193 » by Ewing2Melo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:15 pm

2010 wrote:Real talk, I have always liked Willy and was talking him up before this season. But no one can argue that Kanter has beat him out, plain and simple. You cannot justify benching Kanter right now the way he has meshed with KP, rebounds, scores in the paint, and provided leadership and a toughminded example for his teammates to follow in not taking crap from anyone and taking pride in repping the city and the uniform.

KOQ has to be the backup bc he defends better than Willy, he passes just as good as Willy, his production per minute rate is elite across the board, and we need to build his trade value as there is no way we can afford to pay him this offseason once he inevitably opts out. KOQ ideally is going to be traded by the deadline.

Noah is back and has an insane contract. At best he deserves a chance to be allowed to get spot mins depending on matchups on nights we can use his defense, communication/talking on defense, energy, and motivation in spurts.

Basically, Willy just need to STFU and ride this wave out until the rough waters calm once KOQ is gone. He should go down to the G League and get his reps in, dominate that schit and work on his defense and all other facets of his game to keep his confidence level high.

Couldn't have said it better myself
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,907

Post#194 » by Woodsanity » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:46 pm

Kanter has outplayed him he has to get over it.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,957

Post#195 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:07 pm

Amare_1_Knicks wrote:I would love to see Willy get some minutes but Kanter is so much more polished than he is right now, AND he’s only two years older. Kyle plays better defense than Hernangomez and finishes well himself, and has a nice little offensive game in general. Noah, whenever he plays is probably going to steal time from Willy also.

I’d love to see him develop but realistically it’s not in the cards. Going forward, I’d rather keep Kanter if I had to choose.

well damn.

money being equal, i agree. but it ain't and kanter is probably on the verge of getting more money per year than he's making now. so i factor that in. despite all my love for kanter, i don't know how much of a rush i'd be in to give him a 4 or 5-year deal at $20m+ per.

and if we did that and moved KO, then billy is still a backup to kanter with an almost identical game, but not as rugged and not as good. they don't complement long term. and i'm afraid this is becoming an either-or situation.

if i were willy, i'd be working on everything that kanter isn't. i'd become noah's intern and become the best defensive center on the team.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,957

Post#196 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:08 pm

Woodsanity wrote:Kanter has outplayed him he has to get over it.

if he can outplay or complement kanter, he could create his own path and even force kanter's ouster. but he ain't thinking like that, which kind of irks me.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Post#197 » by boomann21 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:51 pm

Somebody tell Willy: Be Humble, Sit Down
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#198 » by NYKHardKnock » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:59 pm

I swear whenever I look at Willys IG story he's playing COD. Is the dedication there?

Hey man not be in the rotation but he still has pretty high value. Id look go trade him and get a wing
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,310

Post#199 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:14 pm

Guy is 22,23 years old, on a cheap deal. Even if he's having an "attitude" problem this (which I doubt), he has two years to approach what Kanter is doing at the same age. By that time Knicks will have made a decision with KOQ, Kanter and Noah will be medically retired. Point being, is Knicks don't have to rush.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,271

Post#200 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:36 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Guy is 22,23 years old, on a cheap deal. Even if he's having an "attitude" problem this (which I doubt), he has two years to approach what Kanter is doing at the same age. By that time Knicks will have made a decision with KOQ, Kanter and Noah will be medically retired. Point being, is Knicks don't have to rush.

Yeah, I think guys expecting or wanting a trade this season sort out the C position may be disappointed.

There really is no pressure to do anything about it and the variables at the end of the season include KOQ and Kanter leaving or staying.

If both leave, then Willy survives. Just that alone may resolve this.

Clearly, the club is not going to emphasize Noah because of his contract, at least for now, so Kanter and KOQ are the rotation probably for this year until something changes or there is an injury.

Willy needs to stay sharp, be ready and get physically stronger.
ImageImageImage

Return to New York Knicks