ImageImageImageImageImage

Noah to be inactive for forseeable future. Will sit behind bench as defensive captain

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Re: Noah to be inactive for forseeable future. Will sit behind bench as defensive captain 

Post#21 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:39 pm

This is an awesome look from so many different perspectives.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,068

Re: Noah to be inactive for forseeable future. Will sit behind bench as defensive captain 

Post#22 » by GONYK » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:43 pm

whocares1 wrote:
K P 6 wrote:OMG we are not going by Salary. WOW In other words Willy stfu we are jammed at that position.

Players like Kanter and O'Quinn (Doug as well) are on one year deals and thus need to be evaluated. Contract situations are still influencing minutes.

They are also the most talented players at their positions, so how can you say that's not the motivation?
RiseOfTheEmpire
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,706

Post#23 » by RiseOfTheEmpire » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:45 pm

Noah would thrive in this ball moving offense. He led the Bulls in assists per game after Rose went down and Thib actually ran the offense through him because of his passing.

I like what they are doing...it would send the young guys the wrong message if he just came and started right away...but hopefully, eventually, if he's 100%, he gets in there if we are still winning games at a good clip, even if it's off the bench.

People keep harping about his defense, but imo Kanters biggest weakness is his passing. Sure, he can throw it to an open guy, but he really is a dud when it comes to making plays and passes when they run a set...KOQ has him beat there, and Noah is on another level, so just for that I want to see Noah play with these guys...it's just a big tingle inside, a what if it's amazing....hope to see it soon.
"I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed."
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#24 » by newyorker4ever » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:37 pm

Knicks thinking about stretching Noah. I hate this idea and having to pay him $7+ mil per for the next 5 years.

https://t.co/QLAOKSrUhW
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,295

Post#25 » by Oscirus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:22 pm

22.5 million dollars of inactivity on our bench. Money well spent
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Zingod
Rookie
And1: 895

Post#26 » by Zingod » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:37 pm

He's our Josh Smith. Get him the **** out of this team asap.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#27 » by magnumt » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:43 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:They created a spot and he's still inactive. Interesting

Different list.

When he was suspended by the League he wasn't on the Roster technically.

When he went to the IA list, he was back on the Roster, just couldn't play. It's why we were forced to make a move.

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,617

Post#28 » by Knick4Real » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:46 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:Knicks thinking about stretching Noah. I hate this idea and having to pay him $7+ mil per for the next 5 years.

You can thank this man for that:

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#29 » by dakomish23 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:27 am

Knick4Real wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:Knicks thinking about stretching Noah. I hate this idea and having to pay him $7+ mil per for the next 5 years.

Here's one way we can somewhat work around the contract. It was applied to Deng's deal but they're close enough. To make a big enough splash, we'd have to dump Lee and hope Kanter opts out. Then we're cooking.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2743657-to-make-room-for-2-stars-lakers-should-give-luol-deng-an-extension-seriously

As of July 7, Deng is eligible for a three-year extension. Given the need to get him off the books, why would the Lakers add on to his contract?

The answer is the league's stretch provision, which allows for players to be waived with their contracts paid out over twice the length of the remaining deal, plus one season.

With the $36.8 million owed to Deng over the next two, the Lakers can stretch him out to $7.4 million over five years, which would open $9.8 million in additional cap space in July.

That isn't quite enough to get to two max slots, putting the Lakers at about $57.3 million in space.

That's where a Deng extension can help, with the caveat that any additional salary doesn't have to be guaranteed. By adding three years to his deal with no extra money guaranteed, the Lakers would have the ability to stretch Deng's salary over 11 total years, at $3.3 million a season.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,693

Post#30 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:31 am

GONYK wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
K P 6 wrote:OMG we are not going by Salary. WOW In other words Willy stfu we are jammed at that position.

Players like Kanter and O'Quinn (Doug as well) are on one year deals and thus need to be evaluated. Contract situations are still influencing minutes.

They are also the most talented players at their positions, so how can you say that's not the motivation?

And are playing at a high level right now.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,693

Post#31 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:35 am

dakomish23 wrote:
Knick4Real wrote:

Here's one way we can somewhat work around the contract. It was applied to Deng's deal but they're close enough. To make a big enough splash, we'd have to dump Lee and hope Kanter opts out. Then we're cooking.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2743657-to-make-room-for-2-stars-lakers-should-give-luol-deng-an-extension-seriously

As of July 7, Deng is eligible for a three-year extension. Given the need to get him off the books, why would the Lakers add on to his contract?

The answer is the league's stretch provision, which allows for players to be waived with their contracts paid out over twice the length of the remaining deal, plus one season.

With the $36.8 million owed to Deng over the next two, the Lakers can stretch him out to $7.4 million over five years, which would open $9.8 million in additional cap space in July.

That isn't quite enough to get to two max slots, putting the Lakers at about $57.3 million in space.

That's where a Deng extension can help, with the caveat that any additional salary doesn't have to be guaranteed. By adding three years to his deal with no extra money guaranteed, the Lakers would have the ability to stretch Deng's salary over 11 total years, at $3.3 million a season.

Don't we have to know who we're targeting if we're going to make these types of roster transactions? Who are we doing all this for?

In any event, we all know that Kanter is going to exercise his option for next season. Is that really in dispute? If it is, I'd love to read that scenario where Enes opts out.
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#32 » by MP4LIFE » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:47 am

$18 million as a healthy scratch is an utter disgrace.

This is the worst contract we’ve ever given. It rivals Eddy Curry’s and Jerome James.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#33 » by Marty McFly » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:56 am

yeah, they better **** not.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,068

Post#34 » by GONYK » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:51 pm

Marty McFly wrote:

yeah, they better **** not.

The article is total bullsh*t, and neither the Knicks nor Berman said that the Knicks are considering stretch waiving Noah.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,309

Post#35 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:00 pm

Stretching Noah is a bad idea. We have a young core. It is better to be more calculating in our build then rush things and make a mistake that we can never get off the books such as the stretched contract. 1 more year and he’s an expiring, and always the slim chance he may just medically retire.

Only exception I would make is if we can sign a legit star that fits. Otherwise....

Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,436

Post#36 » by robillionaire » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:10 pm

You're going to think I'm crazy but I think we should just play him some backup minutes and see what happens
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,999

Post#38 » by god shammgod » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:28 pm

if a big free agent wants to come here, then at that time you stretch him if you need to. until then, let him sit. he's probably gonna play eventually. are the knicks really gonna re-sign the 2 centers that currently play when they have 2 more still under contract ? they're holding something like 45 million dollars in centers now. are they foolish enough to spend even more on that position ? stay tuned.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,436

Post#39 » by robillionaire » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:30 pm

I was reading this thread before I went to sleep last night and I had a dream that I was at MSG and Noah was on Cleveland and he was helping LeBron embarrass us and was all screaming in our faces and **** and I was like wtf he's on the Knicks and person next to me said no we stretch waived him and have him on the books for 7 years and the Cavs picked him up and he reverted back to prime DPOY form. very traumatizing dream. I know he's done and that won't happen but still
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,376
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#40 » by BKlutch » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:09 pm

Capn'O wrote:
On Monday, Hornacek named Noah the defensive captain

Something doesn't look quite right...

On Monday, Hornacek named Noah the defensive captain coach

This seems more accurate.

Actually, this may not be as funny as it sounds. Could they actually be using him as the defensive coach, at least regaining some small value for what they're paying him not to play as a player? If he stays with the team in this capacity, always inactive, he might even transition to an assistant coach with a typical assistant coach's salary after his contract has expired.

Or maybe they are planning some trick where they buy him out for a percentage of his salary, but then hire him back as a coach to make up the difference? This might be even better than stretching him, if it's legal under the CBA.

Of course, playing him to showcase him, then trading him (but for what????) would be considerably better for our cap, but as mentioned, playing him would be bad for our young C's. Not easy for Scott Perry.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Return to New York Knicks