ImageImageImageImageImage

Adam silver talks to ncaa to end one and done rule and have kids enter from high school per woj and espn

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,385

Re: Adam silver talks to ncaa to end one and done rule and have kids enter from high school per woj and espn 

Post#41 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:47 pm

bigtimeRC3 wrote:**** college basketball . Pisses me off to see coaches make millions of dollars .

That's a result of certain NCAA programs having so much money, they literally have to find different ways to spend it all. As far as I know, they rarely if ever funnel money to the academic side.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Re: Adam silver talks to ncaa to end one and done rule and have kids enter from high school per woj and espn 

Post#42 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:29 pm

Blockwatcher wrote:Free market ftw. but what about kids who don't get drafted? Can they have an option to go to school?

Won't happen, but they should get rid of the NBA draft and make it an auction. Sign who you want, when you want, let them play where they can (within reason) and if another team is ready to sign them to the big club first, then you can either match or let them go.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,558

Post#43 » by Fat Kat » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:50 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:The high school rule kinda help the NBA imo.

In the early 2000s a lot of these high school guys came in and were trash.

Larger percentage of players that came from college were trash
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#44 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:54 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Blockwatcher wrote:Free market ftw. but what about kids who don't get drafted? Can they have an option to go to school?

Won't happen, but they should get rid of the NBA draft and make it an auction. Sign who you want, when you want, let them play where they can (within reason) and if another team is ready to sign them to the big club first, then you can either match or let them go.

But but but, that would lead to superteams and lack of competitive balance.

Oh wait.

You know, a solution would be that teams can still only carry 12 players, or 12 players up to a certain date, so there may be more "ok" players released to sign the good college players, and then there is a waiver draft based on last years record in order worst to best.

Maybe rosters could expand again to 15 to after the waiver draft. I'm sure some rules could be set up to keep top teams from stashing the entire draft in the G-League etc.
Fat Kat
RealGM

Post#45 » by Fat Kat » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:05 am

Deeeez Knicks wrote:It's a tough call since there are strong pro's and con's for each.

Either way the entire NCAA encompassing all sports is messed up and needs a major overhauls. The NCAA rakes in so much dough off student athletes. Many of there decisions seem to be based off financial/political and not with the kids best interest in mind.

There really aren't any cons. They've done research and they've found that players both develop better without college, and that percentage wise, have better careers.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Rotten Apple
General Manager
And1: 5,113

Post#46 » by Rotten Apple » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:22 am

Fat Kat wrote:

Obviously there’s more of a sample size relative to high school draftees.
rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Post#47 » by rammagen » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:40 am

Fat Kat wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:It's a tough call since there are strong pro's and con's for each.

Either way the entire NCAA encompassing all sports is messed up and needs a major overhauls. The NCAA rakes in so much dough off student athletes. Many of there decisions seem to be based off financial/political and not with the kids best interest in mind.

There really aren't any cons. They've done research and they've found that players both develop better without college, and that percentage wise, have better careers.

not enough of a sample size imho but i can see how that would be
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Re: RE: Re: Adam silver talks to ncaa to end one and done rule and have kids enter from high school per woj and espn 

Post#48 » by rammagen » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:43 am

GONYK wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
Greenie wrote:This.

Mofo’s need the stay in school longer as far as I’m concerned.

For every Melo you get 10 Anthony Bennett’s.

TRASH

Yeah I ain’t feeling this, college at least allows you to see these guys under some structure against competition more at their level than beating up on high schoolers.

Sure LeBron didn’t need college but plenty of guys did.

Anthony Bennett went to college...

not all about school is developing skills though it is about growing up and becoming an adult. They could also do that at the NBA levelbut staffs a=would need to be increased. Maybe do something similar to soccer with jr clubs and what not for development
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
Fat Kat
RealGM

Post#49 » by Fat Kat » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:51 am

Sample size cuts both ways. Can’t make half cocked arguments and then defend them with sample size. Doesn’t work that way
bleedblue3303
Sixth Man
And1: 1,128

Post#50 » by bleedblue3303 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:55 am

at the very least the kids should be allowed to choose an agent coming out of high school Some one who can navigate sneaker companies, negotiate deals, and talk to NBA teams for them. While they are playing their one year, That rule never made sense to me. As well as some who can stand up to the coach or university if they are doing the kid wrong.
TraSoul82
Junior
And1: 182

Post#52 » by TraSoul82 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:48 am

Pro athletes look so stupid calling their leagues "modern day slavery". The NCAA is the real slavery system. Miseducation is not compensation, especially in a billion dollar industry.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#53 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:34 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

Oh wait.

You know, a solution would be that teams can still only carry 12 players, or 12 players up to a certain date, so there may be more "ok" players released to sign the good college players, and then there is a waiver draft based on last years record in order worst to best.

Maybe rosters could expand again to 15 to after the waiver draft. I'm sure some rules could be set up to keep top teams from stashing the entire draft in the G-League etc.

Well, there would be caps of course. It would be quite challenging for a team to generate enough cap space to sign multiple young prospects. I think there are many ways to safeguard, one of which being that if you have a player off the big club for over a year, he essentially becomes a RFA wherein teams can offer him a contract and the big club would have to match or negotiate a better deal.
Waiver re-draft sounds cool from a fan view. Another reason I want to remove the draft is because it has a bit of a "slave" vibe to it -- particularly in the NFL where the underpants Olympics is not too far off from "slave markets." This is where I see sports heading, after Greens statement that owners should not be called owners (even if they own the business, not the employees).
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#54 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:03 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:Won't happen, but they should get rid of the NBA draft and make it an auction. Sign who you want, when you want, let them play where they can (within reason) and if another team is ready to sign them to the big club first, then you can either match or let them go.

Oh wait.

Well, there would be caps of course. It would be quite challenging for a team to generate enough cap space to sign multiple young prospects. I think there are many ways to safeguard, one of which being that if you have a player off the big club for over a year, he essentially becomes a RFA wherein teams can offer him a contract and the big club would have to match or negotiate a better deal.
Waiver re-draft sounds cool from a fan view. Another reason I want to remove the draft is because it has a bit of a "slave" vibe to it -- particularly in the NFL where the underpants Olympics is not too far off from "slave markets." This is where I see sports heading, after Greens statement that owners should not be called owners (even if they own the business, not the employees).

I like that RFA thing. Some variation of that. Maybe like baseball, where you have protected players and not. But basketball should severely limit the # of G-league protected players, like one or two, at the most, then after X amount of time they become part of the active roster (more $, guys don't get trapped in the "minors" - NBAPA would be like this) and if not, go through waivers.

There's quite a few examples and things that sound decent with little to no thought on it. Actually working it out shouldn't be that hard.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,119

Post#55 » by blueNorange » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:24 pm

Fat Kat wrote:

how many were lotto picks?
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,500

Post#56 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:21 pm

harry giles would've gone top 5 if we brought back the high school rule. drafts would certainly look different and i would assume there would be more busts

the ncaa is taking advantage of kids though.... i won't dispute that
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Fat Kat
RealGM

Post#57 » by Fat Kat » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:19 pm

blueNorange wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:

how many were lotto picks?

Not sure. How many of the high schoolers were lotto picks?
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#58 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:50 pm

This one and done rule isn't preventing the bust factor. Busts are till being drafted. It was geared to a degree to give the college ranks some marketable players even just for one year.

Teams just have to be smarter with their selections. Some players you can spot as guys who will make it, generational talents etc, just like you can see certain players might bust, even if they don't.

Even as fans that have vastly limited access than NBA teams can see it, these teams definitely should be able to.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,438

Post#59 » by duetta » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:00 pm

MLB has drafted HS kids for as long as a draft existed.

I think that there are major advantages to getting a college education, to both the player and society - but only if they value the experience themselves. If they're just taking basketweaving 101 & 102, there's little to no mental development going on anyway.

Of course, if Kyrie Irving had been forced to stay for four years, he would also have been likely to take an astronomy course...
Long2s
Pro Prospect
And1: 680

Post#60 » by Long2s » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:31 am

Should have an age limit of 20 and be done with it.

Other than that, rookie contracts need to change, so that you get better contracts for older players to compensate for going to college or staying in the G-league.

The more high schoolers the worse the product.

Return to New York Knicks