ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Quick question about learning Spanish

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,866

Re: OT: Quick question about learning Spanish 

Post#21 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:34 pm

mugzi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:Tus ojos son hermoses

That’s about the extent I needed to learn. A lotttt of Central American women in Brentwood

When I was in high school (graduated from F'dale in '76), we asked our Spanish teacher, Mr. Dugan (who was also my soccer coach) if he'd ever been to Spain. He said "No. But I've been to Brentwood." :lol:

I grew up on pine st in what I think is N. Brentwood -not sure, we were one of the last two white families on the block. Though depending on who you ask Italian isn't always considered white LOL. My next-door neighbor was Puerto Rican and his rooster was my alarm clock 5:30 every morning without fail, but nice family they always had extra eggs to share.

Then we moved east to Coram, and no roosters but the neighborhood was similar. We were surrounded by a large parcel of woods that was county owned that for some reason wasn't allowed to be developed. But people used that land to hide sins that had no expiration date.

But back to the original Brentwood reference, yeah lots of fine azz Latinas. But I moved away before that became important, Longwood encompassed 6 towns so we weren't lacking in the fine heinas either.

Raymond "Mugzi" Chandler :lol:
ImageImageImage
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,236

Post#22 » by gavran » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:36 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
gavran wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
More complex than English? I thought English was one of the most difficult.

English is one of the simplest languages in the world.

I guess your right. For some reason, I seem to recall people saying that about English because of conjugating verbs, and word variations based on tense and use. But I just looked at a list of the most difficult ones and I can see that you're right.

Albanian is no. 6. :lol:

English is a really structured language, with simple rules, which kind of makes it foolproof. Try a Uralic or Turkic language, that is much looser, but has endless amounts of prefixes and affixes, that also need to follow vowel harmony, if you add it to the word, and you get a language, that gives you something like 'megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért'. Grammatically a 100% correct word.

The most difficult languages have to be isolate ones (like Basque or Korean). Albanian is the closest to PIE, that's why it's so difficult.
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#23 » by ChaosHamster » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Listen to gavran, I assume he speaks Hungarian. So he knows everything about difficult languages.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Post#24 » by CharlesOakley » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:05 pm

DO NOT BUY ROSETTA STONE. It is garbage. If you want a program get the Pimsleur Method which is what the government uses to train CIA agents.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#25 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:34 pm

NY2TheBay wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:a dominican girlfriend.

no? just me? okay, then.

Dude, was about to reply with the same thing. Domincan, Puerto Rican (might not want to go this route though)

I am near fluent now pretty much for this reason. I spent my whole teenage years "up the hill" hanging with girls named Yuvelkis and schidt. Almost got jumped by DP on a basketball court for playing too physical. Good times.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
waya
RealGM
And1: 5,128

Post#26 » by waya » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:03 pm

I finished Duolingo after a few months doing 2 lessons a day (taking maybe 5-10 minutes a day). Whenever there were words I didn't know, I would put them into a flash card list on the Cram app, and do the flash cards whenever I was bored or on public transit, waiting rooms, etc. And for the past year or so I've been enabling Spanish subtitles on Netflix shows, or downloading spanish subs using the app "Get Subtitles" for newer shows that I torrent. It definitely helps reinforce the stuff you've learned. I also watched a few spanish programs with english subs (Club de Cuervos on Netflix is pretty cool)

I'm still learning, but I've gotten good enough to understand most of a Spanish news article or social media post, etc. Conversing with a fluent speaker would probably be the next step I think.
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#27 » by EchelonNYK » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:06 pm

I know a few Puerto Ricans who don't speak much Spanish. So that's not always the viable route.
DrKnick
Starter
And1: 580

Post#28 » by DrKnick » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:35 pm

EchelonNYK wrote:I know a few Puerto Ricans who don't speak much Spanish. So that's not always the viable route.

Same here. I know couple of second and third-generation Mexican-Americans who can't speak Spanish at all. Though I've met few first-generation(of anything) that can't speak it. Really weird. :( It all depends in your household.
Daaaarryyl
Starter
And1: 502
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Post#29 » by Daaaarryyl » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:16 pm

mugzi wrote:Though depending on who you ask Italian isn't always considered white LOL.

:D

Sounds like my dad.

I'm Puerto Rican and Italian and it was always my dad that people thought was the Puerto Rican because of his darker skin.

Yeah, his generation's Italians (50's-60's-70's) did not think of themselves as white along the same way people look at Europeans, Irish, German etc. In particular Sicilians like my dad's family.
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years

Less Bulls, MORE books!!
mugzi
General Manager
And1: 1,009

Post#30 » by mugzi » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:04 am

dakomish23 wrote:
mugzi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
When I was in high school (graduated from F'dale in '76), we asked our Spanish teacher, Mr. Dugan (who was also my soccer coach) if he'd ever been to Spain. He said "No. But I've been to Brentwood." :lol:

I grew up on pine st in what I think is N. Brentwood -not sure, we were one of the last two white families on the block. Though depending on who you ask Italian isn't always considered white LOL. My next-door neighbor was Puerto Rican and his rooster was my alarm clock 5:30 every morning without fail, but nice family they always had extra eggs to share.

Then we moved east to Coram, and no roosters but the neighborhood was similar. We were surrounded by a large parcel of woods that was county owned that for some reason wasn't allowed to be developed. But people used that land to hide sins that had no expiration date.

But back to the original Brentwood reference, yeah lots of fine azz Latinas. But I moved away before that became important, Longwood encompassed 6 towns so we weren't lacking in the fine heinas either.

I worked for ADP’s brokerage services in the heartland district, which became Broadridge, my first 10 years out of college. They had two huge mailing houses on the other side of their office space and both employed about 90% Hispanic folks.

So many beautiful women who didn’t speak English well but were good at their job. A lot of dudes got with girls that were way out of their league :lol:.

Was pine st the exit off the Sag? It’s been a while since I’ve been out there.

Guys getting with girls out of their league sounds like what I like to call the proximity effect LOL. Yeah we used to get off the SAG to get home I don't think Pine Street had its own exit I think we got off at the deer park exit. Hard to remember I haven't lived there in 30 years lol. And my grandfather sold the house 25 years ago so haven't been back much since the late 90s- I used to go back to visit friends and stroll down memory lane and why lie- had a good herb connection there too lol.
Remember 5th ave? That's where we'd pop out by that big azz Pathmark they built in the 90s was like a mile from my old house.
YouTube:CNDUBL
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
mugzi
General Manager

Post#31 » by mugzi » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:05 am

Daaaarryyl wrote:
mugzi wrote:Though depending on who you ask Italian isn't always considered white LOL.

:D

Sounds like my dad.

I'm Puerto Rican and Italian and it was always my dad that people thought was the Puerto Rican because of his darker skin.

Yeah, his generation's Italians (50's-60's-70's) did not think of themselves as white along the same way people look at Europeans, Irish, German etc. In particular Sicilians like my dad's family.

Exactly! I'm 2/3 Italian which is split on my fathers side as Sicilian and my mothers family was from Naples.
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
mugzi
General Manager

Post#32 » by mugzi » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:09 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
mugzi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Raymond "Mugzi" Chandler :lol:

:lol:

But I may have been partying that night- I was a teenager then but I didn't want to find out why someone would basically bury a huge fridge covered by a tarp with a lock and chain wrapped around it. Even at 15 I could read between the lines.
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,215

Post#33 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:49 am

That’s about the extent I needed to learn. A lotttt of Central American women in Brentwood

Brentwood? Practically neighbors.
:beer: RIP mags
GettinitDone
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,867

Post#34 » by GettinitDone » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:40 am

I so want to learn Spanish too, inspired by Narcos, but really, once you learn it and then learn Chinese, and also got English downpat, you can go most ANYwhere in the world.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#35 » by dakomish23 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:30 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:

Babylon?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
mugzi
General Manager

Post#36 » by mugzi » Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:32 am

dakomish23 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

Babylon?

I'd guess Deer park or Bay shore.
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#37 » by Jalen Bluntson » Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:57 am

mugzi wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

Babylon?

I'd guess Deer park or Bay shore.

Oregon...but...close. :lol: I have lived in all 3 of the towns mentioned actually at one point or another.
mugzi
General Manager

Post#38 » by mugzi » Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:58 am

Nice. Lol. Suffolk county representa!
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
mugzi
General Manager

Post#39 » by mugzi » Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:59 am

I only lived in two, Brentwood then the underwear stain called Coram.
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#40 » by Jalen Bluntson » Thu Dec 7, 2017 9:05 am

mugzi wrote:Nice. Lol. Suffolk county representa!

Strong Island up in this miggity flick! I've also lived in Wayandanch/West Babylon/Freeport. I get around.

Return to New York Knicks