ImageImageImageImageImage

Houston PG Thread: Well, at least we had fun?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Governor Dudley
Starter
And1: 633

Re: Houston PG Thread: Well, at least we had fun? 

Post#101 » by Governor Dudley » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:07 pm

With our entire roster intact, we are a middling team at best. With out our two best players? Shiiiiiiiet. I'm surprised we even had the lead at all.
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,389

Post#102 » by Ray Williams » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Capn'O wrote:First, this Rockets team is really, really good. Very well fitting parts, as well. Ten years in, Morey has finally built his vision so kudos to that and kudos to their ownership to sticking with it. So they kicked our ass.

There are things I can justify for how Jeff managed the rotations tonight but the thing I can't really let go of is leaving Beasley in after he went YOLO and then failed to get back on defense. I don't care if he had a chance for sixty points. He needed to go straight to the pine, point blank period. We wouldn't have won but it was a perfect game to send that message exactly for that reason.

Kind of shocked me that he didn’t pull him right there. That’s what inexcusable.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#103 » by NoLayupRule » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:25 pm

Governor Dudley wrote:With our entire roster intact, we are a middling team at best. With out our two best players? Shiiiiiiiet. I'm surprised we even had the lead at all.

Well sure

And at the beginning of the season we seemed like a 20 win team

If this team moves lee in a trade we're gonna drop significantly
Or kanter

But what's great about this team is that they are playing hard, smart and together. They have grown by leaps and bounds in a short time. Give credit where due
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#104 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:32 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:Pass first PG's are outdated in today's NBA.

Disagree. It's always about roster construction. If the PG can break down the defense, but is pass first, that is ok as long as there are enough scorers. And yes, even a pass first PG will have to shoot it sometimes, and historically, they have.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#105 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:51 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
Garbagelo wrote:
we lost to the hawks.....

We aren't much better than them. We have KP and they don't.

They truly have a young roster and we don't, as well.

They actually dont. Hawks have 8 players 25 and under. The other 8 are 28 and over (two over 30). They're average age is 26

In contrast, we have 7 players 25 and under. the rest are the rest are 26 and over (three over 30). They're average age is 27.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Post#106 » by MrOrange » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:52 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:

Disagree. It's always about roster construction. If the PG can break down the defense, but is pass first, that is ok as long as there are enough scorers. And yes, even a pass first PG will have to shoot it sometimes, and historically, they have.

Exactly. A pass first PG should not mean he can't shoot or drive. For me a pass first PG is someone, who will look for the best way for the team to score. Including passing up on dubious drives or jumpers. Especially those. However, that guy would shoot or drive with precision, when the need is and nobody else is open.
MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Post#107 » by MrOrange » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:00 pm

MrOrange wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Exactly. A pass first PG should not mean he can't shoot or drive. For me a pass first PG is someone, who will look for the best way for the team to score. Including passing up on dubious drives or jumpers. Especially those. However, that guy would shoot or drive with precision, when the need is and nobody else is open.

The first pass-first PG, that comes to my mind is Nash and those type of players. There is a multitude of them. Nash could shoot lights out any day at his prime.
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#108 » by N Y K » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:19 pm

damn frank...

Read on Twitter

... considering the recent dip, that overall is pretty impressive.
Governor Dudley
Starter

Post#109 » by Governor Dudley » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:39 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
Governor Dudley wrote:With our entire roster intact, we are a middling team at best. With out our two best players? Shiiiiiiiet. I'm surprised we even had the lead at all.

Well sure

And at the beginning of the season we seemed like a 20 win team

If this team moves lee in a trade we're gonna drop significantly
Or kanter

But what's great about this team is that they are playing hard, smart and together. They have grown by leaps and bounds in a short time. Give credit where due

I agree with all that.

a lot of things are in flux though. if we get to feb and the team is still around .500 do they try to make the playoffs? or do they sell off some of the vets and superfluous young guys for picks and try to drop a bit further in the standings?

if they drop in the standing by feb does the team go in a different coaching direction, or is Horny our Brett Brown?
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#110 » by HEZI » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:40 pm

N Y K wrote:damn frank...

Read on Twitter

Wow so Jack has played more minutes with KP in the last 5 games than Ntilikina has played with Porzingis all season
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,308

Post#111 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:02 pm

Ray Williams wrote:
Capn'O wrote:First, this Rockets team is really, really good. Very well fitting parts, as well. Ten years in, Morey has finally built his vision so kudos to that and kudos to their ownership to sticking with it. So they kicked our ass.

There are things I can justify for how Jeff managed the rotations tonight but the thing I can't really let go of is leaving Beasley in after he went YOLO and then failed to get back on defense. I don't care if he had a chance for sixty points. He needed to go straight to the pine, point blank period. We wouldn't have won but it was a perfect game to send that message exactly for that reason.

Kind of shocked me that he didn’t pull him right there. That’s what inexcusable.

Ditto. I really felt let down by Jeff at that moment. Beasley DGAF and neither did he. So lame.
ImageImageImage
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,481

Post#112 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:21 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:4v5 on offense with Frank out there. He is playing too timid and it’s hurting us. We need to let him play free. Stop calling set plays every time and let the kid work.

He’s really good in transition when all he has to do is push and make a play. In the half court he is almost unbearable to watch. He needs to look for his offense more. As he gains experience and confidence, hopefully he starts making better decisions on offense. He doesn’t drive when he can, doesn’t shoot when he should and is always looking to pass. 5seconds on the clock has an open jumper then swings it to a contested Courtney Lee. He does **** like that too much.

He needs to step it up. 19 years or not, he’s looking mediocre lately.

fax
starting to get annoyed with his play...
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#113 » by NY 567 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:25 pm

Beasley needs to start next to KP. Yes, that means that we need to bench all of our 489 centers on the roster.
Governor Dudley
Starter

Post#114 » by Governor Dudley » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:28 pm

Why does BEASLEY need to start?

LMAO
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#115 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:28 pm

N Y K wrote:damn frank...

Read on Twitter

Yup. He's been pretty bad the last 5 games.

I'd really start him with KP - I guess they will at some point. He'd still only get 20 mpg, but it's more about roster balance. Oh well, I don't really expect Jeff to figure stuff like that out.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#116 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:29 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:We aren't much better than them. We have KP and they don't.

They truly have a young roster and we don't, as well.

They actually dont. Hawks have 8 players 25 and under. The other 8 are 28 and over (two over 30). They're average age is 26

In contrast, we have 7 players 25 and under. the rest are the rest are 26 and over (three over 30). They're average age is 27.

I stand corrected. Neither roster is really that young.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,694

Post#117 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:15 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:Some weird +/- numbers this game. THJ + 3 in 37 mins, Jack a +12 in 32 mins. Ntilikina with a team worst -27.

Two players from Frank’s second unit moved up into he starting lines?
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#118 » by Red Vines » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:31 pm

We really need to open up the floor spacing for Frank. Putting him in traffic is not helping his game. Have him run pick & roll surrounded by shooters.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,346

Post#119 » by Phish Tank » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:46 pm

I want occasional D-League stints during off-days for Willy and Frank to either get in game action and/or practice time on days we don't practice
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,694

Post#120 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:55 pm

I expected this game to be an "L" even with KP and Kanter, though who knows if they had been healthy for the game.

But we should've had that Atlanta game.

Return to New York Knicks