ImageImageImageImageImage

Did the Knicks win the Melo trade?

Moderators: moocow007, Knickstape1214, magnumt, Capn'O, King of Canada, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, Thorn, GONYK, NoLayupRule, mrpoetryNmotion, Thugger HBC

User avatar
malik959
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,035
And1: 902
Joined: Apr 10, 2001
Location: Alabama (from L.I)
       

Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#1 » by malik959 » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:33 am

OK, I know I might be a little early, but I love how this team was put together and it seems like all the pieces are falling into place. With a good mixture of vets and youth we finally have a future to look forward to. Both Kanter and McBuckets have been a surprise, we all knew they were decent on offense, but their defense was a question mark going into the season. Now Kanter has shown that he can get into the right places on the floor to help stop penetration (giggidy) and also negate the pick and roll. Dougi has also shown that he too can play some defense, hit the open shots and has also had some nice highlight dunks to keep a game interesting. So my question is, Did we win the Melo trade?

I was a huge Melo supporter, but felt that this team was going no where with him. I didn't like 95% of the rumored trades that were being presented and when it finally went down I was upset because we didn't get Terrence Furguson and felt like "Oh here we go again!" But now Kanter is becoming a fan favorite because he reminds fans of the old Knicks. He's gritty, willing to protect his own, and he's a beast on the offensive boards.

Here it is Melo is looking to be dropped from his starting position, he's worse on defense this year and literally has no lateral movement, he no longer has the elevation to do anything on the move (has been blocked in just about every game this season), and he's still playing hero ball although you have one of the best point guards in the game. My answer is definitely YES, WE FINALLY WON A TRADE!!
User avatar
mpharris36
RealGM
Posts: 46,978
And1: 19,270
Joined: Nov 03, 2010
     

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#2 » by mpharris36 » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:43 am

Image
BAF Spurs:

C - Anthony Davis/Zach Collins/Georgios Papa
PF - Dragan Bender/Noah Vonleh/JMM
SF - Jaylen Brown/Bogdan Bogdanovic/Dahntay Jones
SG - Tim Hardaway Jr/Wayne Seldon/Tomas Satoransky
PG - Kris Dunn/Shabazz Napier/Fred VanVleet

$47 cap remaining
User avatar
knicks85
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,313
And1: 2,927
Joined: Nov 28, 2011
     

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#3 » by knicks85 » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:44 am

this isnt going to end well

Image
In Krist we trust...

French Prince, “Were together, we’re together man”

Greenie: Disagree. I think Tatum is going to be better than KP. I don't know about DSjr.

viewtopic.php?p=53748100#p53748100
User avatar
SportsGuy8
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,854
And1: 856
Joined: Jun 17, 2006

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#4 » by SportsGuy8 » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:45 am

The Knicks would have won the trade even if they just got back a bag of chips.
Image
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 21,336
And1: 6,312
Joined: Jul 12, 2009

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#5 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:48 am

Short Answer: Yes, by a landslide

Doug could become a very good long-term piece, but Kanter is the key here.

What this franchise has no choice about is as long as they are building around KP they will need a lunch pail monster in the paint. But Kanter is more than a blue collar guy, he's on his way to becoming a legit star in his own right.

For all the fluff said about the way the league plays now, every team has different considerations based on whom they are building around. And the Knicks are building around a player unlike anyone else in the league.

KP requires Kanter to thrive. KP requires a Kanter. Other teams may not require a Kanter, but we do.

It really is that simple. And you really couldn't do any better than Kanter.

So when anyone wants to talk about players who make others around them better, they have to look no further than Kanter.

Kanter is vastly more valuable to the Knicks now than Melo could possibly be so on that point alone the trade is a massive win.

Add in Doug and the pick and it was a home run.

Melo is cooked. We fleeced OKC.
...............................................................................Image
User avatar
Ignitowsky
General Manager
Posts: 8,316
And1: 1,903
Joined: Oct 16, 2005
       

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#6 » by Ignitowsky » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:50 am

Kanter for Melo even up wins us the trade. McD and the pick are icing on the cake.
"Only a fool would meet the Dothraki on an open field."

Robert Baratheon
User avatar
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,786
And1: 7,301
Joined: Aug 18, 2013

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#7 » by Bill Pidto » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:52 am

Cancer for Kanter Klause.

Knicks win big.
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 41,764
And1: 13,662
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#8 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:53 am

knicks85 wrote:this isnt going to end well

Image


How bad can it be? :dontknow: We clearly got the better of the deal and we have a winning record and they don't ... AND we got an excellent 2nd round pick.

Besides, those cats, except for maybe one person, seem to be on board now.
User avatar
Blockwatcher
Veteran
Posts: 2,719
And1: 1,167
Joined: Jan 23, 2014
Location: In the tank
 

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#9 » by Blockwatcher » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:54 am

Did Melo leave? Yes
Did the Knicks win the trade? Yes
1 John 2 : 15-17
Thugger HBC
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 43,280
And1: 10,732
Joined: Jan 14, 2011
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?
       

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#10 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:54 am

Both parties had to split ways. Knicks needed to rebuild in a better way, and Melo wanted to leave as well, as evident by calling his last bit of time here "hell".

The players coming back in the trade basically were a bonus since they can play the game and that pick should be useful as well.

Whether who won the trade really matters little to me....both sides got what they wanted which is all that matters.
If winning matters, the role shouldn't.....the results should.

The ...02% of the fanbse be like...http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1542565&start=140#start_here
User avatar
Fat Kat
RealGM
Posts: 20,767
And1: 8,409
Joined: Apr 19, 2004
     

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#11 » by Fat Kat » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:55 am

Ahhhhhhh. The Thunder. Their tears are like sugary treats, sorrowful nourishment squeezed fresh from the supple teat of the gods. I enjoy it, this drink, and their tears make me fat and full. Thank you Sam Presti

Image
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 21,336
And1: 6,312
Joined: Jul 12, 2009

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#12 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:57 am

Fat Kat wrote:Ahhhhhhh. The Thunder. Their tears are like sugary treats, sorrowful nourishment squeezed fresh from the supple teat of the gods. I enjoy it, this drink, and their tears make me fat and full. Thank you Sam Presti

Image


So you're a closet poet. Let it out
...............................................................................Image
SuperflyKnick
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,939
And1: 840
Joined: Feb 24, 2003

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#13 » by SuperflyKnick » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:58 am

Yes we won the trade ... now only if we had drafted Mitchell instead of Frank lolz
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 41,764
And1: 13,662
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#14 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Dec 3, 2017 4:00 am

Clyde_Style wrote:Short Answer: Yes, by a landslide

Doug could become a very good long-term piece, but Kanter is the key here.

What this franchise has no choice about is as long as they are building around KP they will need a lunch pail monster in the paint. But Kanter is more than a blue collar guy, he's on his way to becoming a legit star in his own right.

For all the fluff said about the way the league plays now, every team has difference considerations based on whom they are building around. And the Knicks are building around a player unlike anyone else in the league.

KP requires Kanter to thrive. KP requires a Kanter. Other teams may not require a Kanter, but we do.

It really is that simple. And you really couldn't do any better than Kanter.

So when anyone wants to talk about players who make others around them better, they have to look no further than Kanter.

Kanter is vastly more valuable to the Knicks now than Melo could possibly be so on that point alone the trade is a massive win.

Add in Doug and the pick and it was a home run.

Melo is cooked. We fleeced OKC.


This post makes me feel very tingly, very sparkly.
User avatar
Adelheid
Veteran
Posts: 2,645
And1: 872
Joined: Jul 10, 2014
 

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#15 » by Adelheid » Sun Dec 3, 2017 4:01 am

I am thinking of getting some popcorn as I gloss over this thread...
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 21,336
And1: 6,312
Joined: Jul 12, 2009

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#16 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Dec 3, 2017 4:03 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:Short Answer: Yes, by a landslide

Doug could become a very good long-term piece, but Kanter is the key here.

What this franchise has no choice about is as long as they are building around KP they will need a lunch pail monster in the paint. But Kanter is more than a blue collar guy, he's on his way to becoming a legit star in his own right.

For all the fluff said about the way the league plays now, every team has difference considerations based on whom they are building around. And the Knicks are building around a player unlike anyone else in the league.

KP requires Kanter to thrive. KP requires a Kanter. Other teams may not require a Kanter, but we do.

It really is that simple. And you really couldn't do any better than Kanter.

So when anyone wants to talk about players who make others around them better, they have to look no further than Kanter.

Kanter is vastly more valuable to the Knicks now than Melo could possibly be so on that point alone the trade is a massive win.

Add in Doug and the pick and it was a home run.

Melo is cooked. We fleeced OKC.


This post makes me feel very tingly, very sparkly.


Image
...............................................................................Image
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 41,764
And1: 13,662
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#17 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Dec 3, 2017 4:07 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:Short Answer: Yes, by a landslide

Doug could become a very good long-term piece, but Kanter is the key here.

What this franchise has no choice about is as long as they are building around KP they will need a lunch pail monster in the paint. But Kanter is more than a blue collar guy, he's on his way to becoming a legit star in his own right.

For all the fluff said about the way the league plays now, every team has difference considerations based on whom they are building around. And the Knicks are building around a player unlike anyone else in the league.

KP requires Kanter to thrive. KP requires a Kanter. Other teams may not require a Kanter, but we do.

It really is that simple. And you really couldn't do any better than Kanter.

So when anyone wants to talk about players who make others around them better, they have to look no further than Kanter.

Kanter is vastly more valuable to the Knicks now than Melo could possibly be so on that point alone the trade is a massive win.

Add in Doug and the pick and it was a home run.

Melo is cooked. We fleeced OKC.


This post makes me feel very tingly, very sparkly.


Image


User avatar
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,786
And1: 7,301
Joined: Aug 18, 2013

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#18 » by Bill Pidto » Sun Dec 3, 2017 4:21 am

Fat Kat wrote:Ahhhhhhh. The Thunder. Their tears are like sugary treats, sorrowful nourishment squeezed fresh from the supple teat of the gods. I enjoy it, this drink, and their tears make me fat and full. Thank you Sam Presti

Image


From your keyboard, straight through my heart like Cupid's arrow.
User avatar
Are We Ther Yet
Analyst
Posts: 3,117
And1: 1,861
Joined: Nov 07, 2012
       

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#19 » by Are We Ther Yet » Sun Dec 3, 2017 4:40 am

Umm...yeah
User avatar
Phish Tank
RealGM
Posts: 12,043
And1: 5,164
Joined: Nov 09, 2004
Location: Your Timepiece
   

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#20 » by Phish Tank » Sun Dec 3, 2017 4:41 am

This end will get locked by tomorrow.

But everyone involved won. OKC got someone who can score on his own next to Russ. Melo starts fresh. Knicks start fresh and get two guys who seem to be playing well in a different offensive scheme.
CMFGB/SMFPB

BAF- Houston Rockets:
PG: Fox (34)/Lin (20)/Galloway (5)
SG: Wes Matthews (28)/Waiters (20)/Delaney
SF: Ill Will (29) /Snell (20) /Derrick Jones
PF: Randle (30) /Ivan Rabb (4)
C: Vucevic (28)/Willy (22)/Edy Tavares

Exempt: Thomas Bryant

Return to New York Knicks