ImageImageImageImageImage

OT any of you investing in Cryptocurrencies?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Re: OT any of you investing in Cryptocurrencies? 

Post#1361 » by cuyankees » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:51 am

reub wrote:
Greenie wrote:
reub wrote:Don't say I didn't try to warn you.

I hope people didn’t lose a bunch here. They were really banking on finance guys to come in. No thanks.

I got suspended once when I warned people about crypto by a moderator who will remain nameless. Sad.

:lol: I get suspended for calling out mods on their hypocritical actions, such a dictatorship.

Pretty sure you and I were calling BS on the crypto craze early in the year. Never a "if", always a "when".
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,487

Post#1362 » by RHODEY » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:04 am

cuyankees wrote:
reub wrote:
Greenie wrote:

I hope people didn’t lose a bunch here. They were really banking on finance guys to come in. No thanks.

I got suspended once when I warned people about crypto by a moderator who will remain nameless. Sad.

:lol: I get suspended for calling out mods on their hypocritical actions, such a dictatorship.

Pretty sure you and I were calling BS on the crypto craze early in the year. Never a "if", always a "when".

This has happened before and it always comes back stronger. Right now is when money is made, you can bank on that. :nod:
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#1363 » by Greenie » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:39 am

RHODEY wrote:
cuyankees wrote:
reub wrote:

This has happened before and it always comes back stronger. Right now is when money is made, you can bank on that. :nod:

Maybe. I may dip in personally.

Just understand us finance people are not stepping into that.
ChilledAlex
Sixth Man
And1: 960

Post#1364 » by ChilledAlex » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:31 am

:lol:
Hows the pyramid scheme doing these days? is dogecoin worth anything? I wanna get in badly :lol: :lol: :lol:
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#1365 » by RHODEY » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:56 am

ChilledAlex wrote::lol:
Hows the pyramid scheme doing these days? is dogecoin worth anything? I wanna get in badly :lol: :lol: :lol:

keeping on laughing :lol: , ill be laughing all the way to the bank....oops I mean to MY bank :D
cuyankees
Veteran

Post#1366 » by cuyankees » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:52 am

Haaa, it’s such a musical chair scheme. When crypto was hot and buddies or randos would discuss crypto, I’d always ask 2 ?s to figure out quickly the type of crypto crazy dealing with:

1. Do you understand the basic demandside economics for ANY currency? USD, EUD, BTC, whatever
2. Can you name 3 things that require BTC?

“But, but, but, it’s the future!”
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran
And1: 1,138

Post#1367 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:44 am

cuyankees wrote:
ChilledAlex wrote:
Hows the pyramid scheme doing these days? is dogecoin worth anything? I wanna get in badly

Haaa, it’s such a musical chair scheme. When crypto was hot and buddies or randos would discuss crypto, I’d always ask 2 ?s to figure out quickly the type of crypto crazy dealing with:

1. Do you understand the basic demandside economics for ANY currency? USD, EUD, BTC, whatever
2. Can you name 3 things that require BTC?

“But, but, but, it’s the future!”
"A fool and his money is soon parted" Old english proverb
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,447

Post#1368 » by robillionaire » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:57 pm

I still don’t think it’s finished going down but who knows
ChilledAlex
Sixth Man

Post#1369 » by ChilledAlex » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:59 pm

RHODEY wrote:

keeping on laughing :lol: , ill be laughing all the way to the bank....oops I mean to MY bank :D

Don't mean to offend you if I misunderstood your intentions, but are you trying to lure people in even when cryptocurrencies crashed and burned?

I'll be honest with you - I'm no economist but one thing I know for sure, "market" so unstable that has crashed for no reason before is not a real thing and it won't go up unless some big hedge funds decide to inflate again to simply buy low and dump high. If you are trying to lure people in this ponzi scheme for your personal good because you are sitting on unsold cryptocurrencies and having major losses then **** you! :lol:

If you're trolling then stop it to not make other people suffer due to their naiveness
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,393

Post#1370 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:01 pm

ChilledAlex wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Don't mean to offend you if I misunderstood your intentions, but are you trying to lure people in even when cryptocurrencies crashed and burned?

I'll be honest with you - I'm no economist but one thing I know for sure, "market" so unstable that has crashed for no reason before is not a real thing and it won't go up unless some big hedge funds decide to inflate again to simply buy low and dump high. If you are trying to lure people in this ponzi scheme for your personal good because you are sitting on unsold cryptocurrencies and having major losses then **** you! :lol:

Yeah, that's terrible.

PM me if so, so I can get in.
:D
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#1371 » by RHODEY » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:10 pm

ChilledAlex wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

If you're trolling then stop it to not make other people suffer due to their naiveness

No offense taken.and no Im not trying to lure anyone into doing something they would not willing to do normally.

As far as bitcoin and all digital currencies in general being a ponzi scheme, let me ask you why does any currency not also merit that assessment? Currency availability is controlled by the Government and this means to becoming more or less valuable in the flow of Forex Markets which speculates on such values. So Bitcoin which is also traded in that market has as much respectability as the USD, GBP or the EUR and so to suggest it’s a massive Ponzi scheme is off the mark.

The rise in Digital Currency is still in it’s infancy and the development of new coins will bring opportunities for those (like me :) ) with a view to enriching their situation.

If the demand is there for the currency that will ensure there will be more in circulation to meet that requirement exactly as is the case with “currency” that we regard as “the norm”. Like all new technologies Bitcoin and Digital Currency is at the forefront of the Financial World and it’s functionality and lifespan is unknown but I can honestly say Bitcoin is here to stay- IMO.

A Pyramid/Ponzi is by definition something that has no inherent value, Bitcoin is exchanged in transactions that transfer funds from purchaser to seller therefore cant be deemed in any shape or form a “scheme”, Pyramid or illegal financial system.

All i suggest is for those that are hesitant is to learn about the opportunity to gain from the Bitcoin and digital currencies market.
ChilledAlex
Sixth Man

Post#1372 » by ChilledAlex » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:25 pm

RHODEY wrote:
ChilledAlex wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

No offense taken.and no Im not trying to lure anyone into doing something they would not willing to do normally.

As far as bitcoin and all digital currencies in general being a ponzi scheme, let me ask you why does any currency not also merit that assessment? Currency availability is controlled by the Government and this means to becoming more or less valuable in the flow of Forex Markets which speculates on such values. So Bitcoin which is also traded in that market has as much respectability as the USD, GBP or the EUR and so to suggest it’s a massive Ponzi scheme is off the mark.

The rise in Digital Currency is still in it’s infancy and the development of new coins will bring opportunities for those (like me :) ) with a view to enriching their situation.

If the demand is there for the currency that will ensure there will be more in circulation to meet that requirement exactly as is the case with “currency” that we regard as “the norm”. Like all new technologies Bitcoin and Digital Currency is at the forefront of the Financial World and it’s functionality and lifespan is unknown but I can honestly say Bitcoin is here to stay- IMO.

A Pyramid/Ponzi is by definition something that has no inherent value, Bitcoin is exchanged in transactions that transfer funds from purchaser to seller therefore cant be deemed in any shape or form a “scheme”, Pyramid or illegal financial system.

All i suggest is for those that are hesitant is to learn about the opportunity to gain from the Bitcoin and digital currencies market.

But the point stands - cryptocurrencies have close to 0 use and their price is only based on demand. In the end you just store your dollars in cryptocurrency thats price is dictated by demand and has no use other than.... store dollars LOL. In my opinion that's textbook idiotism to trust and buy something like that :lol:
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#1373 » by RHODEY » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:56 pm

ChilledAlex wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
ChilledAlex wrote:

But the point stands - cryptocurrencies have close to 0 use and their price is only based on demand. In the end you just store your dollars in cryptocurrency thats price is dictated by demand and has no use other than.... store dollars LOL. In my opinion that's textbook idiotism to trust and buy something like that :lol:

Opinions don't amount to much, facts are what matter. You're opinion that cryptocurrencies have close to 0 use is incorrect, there are a multitudes tangible uses .... you need to do your own research but here are some links that will point you in the right direction:

https://cryptocurrencyfacts.com/uses-bitcoin/
https://coinsutra.com/cryptocurrencies-practical-usecases/
https://cryptodigestnews.com/real-world-application-of-cryptocurrencies-2b6ad5f9228f

If you don't trust in technology that is your choice. If you choose to be willfully ignorant that's on you too. I feel that trust in the declining USD is akin to idiocy. :nonono:
ChilledAlex
Sixth Man

Post#1374 » by ChilledAlex » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:16 pm

RHODEY wrote:
ChilledAlex wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Opinions don't amount to much, facts are what matter. You're opinion that cryptocurrencies have close to 0 use is incorrect, there are a multitudes tangible uses .... you need to do your own research but here are some links that will point you in the right direction:

https://cryptodigestnews.com/real-world-application-of-cryptocurrencies-2b6ad5f9228f

If you don't trust in technology that is your choice. If you choose to be willfully ignorant that's on you too. I feel that trust in the declining USD is akin to idiocy. :nonono:

And again I will say this: You could buy Yuan or Peso for your Dollar and your investment would be safer from someone that would manipulate its price. It's a tool to store your money but you can one day wake up and see you having 1000$ less because simply demand fell...

That is no technology thats idiotism to fall for that, simply because it was hyped up and you didn't really think it through but took the word from some advertisments and those who "invested" before you and wanna lure you in.

Alright I don't wanna go deeper into this, goodluck with whatever you're doing anyways. I don't have a horse in this race I just wanted to vent
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#1375 » by RHODEY » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:21 pm

ChilledAlex wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
ChilledAlex wrote:

And again I will say this: You could buy Yuan or Peso for your Dollar and your investment would be safer from someone that would manipulate its price. It's a tool to store your money but you can one day wake up and see you having 1000$ less because simply demand fell...

That is no technology thats idiotism to fall for that, simply because it was hyped up and you didn't really think it through but took the word from some advertisments and those who "invested" before you and wanna lure you in.

Alright I don't wanna go deeper into this, goodluck with whatever you're doing anyways. I don't have a horse in this race I just wanted to vent

Good luck with your "safe" investments and belief in the Non manipulated ever declining USD . :)
cuyankees
Veteran

Post#1376 » by cuyankees » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:50 pm

ChilledAlex wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
ChilledAlex wrote:

Slight correction: BTC is not a demandside based currency, it's entirely speculative. There is 0 demand for it to conduct transactions, just to be clear for all readers.

BTC and other cryptos are purely speculative plays w little to 0 demandside action.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#1377 » by RHODEY » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:28 pm

cuyankees wrote:
ChilledAlex wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Slight correction: BTC is not a demandside based currency, it's entirely speculative. There is 0 demand for it to conduct transactions, just to be clear for all readers.

BTC and other cryptos are purely speculative plays w little to 0 demandside action.

That depends on your point of view.

First, we have to define what is an investment and what is speculation.

According to Investopedia: ‘’An investment is an asset or item that is purchased with the hope that it will generate income or appreciate in the future’’

Speculation: ‘’The act of trading in an asset or conducting a financial transaction that has a significant risk of losing most or all of the initial outlay ’’.

In other words, speculation is a riskier way of investment. How safe is Bitcoin? Again it depends on your perspective. People who believe Bitcoin is extremely safe will say it is an investment because they are super certain of it’s success, while non-believers will just say it is a scam/bubble/ponzi/others.

So while I believe you should be extremely skeptical of everything. I personally believe Bitcoin is here to stay and I dare to say that it has the potential to be the biggest revolution since the internet.

Is Bitcoin still going to be around? Most likely. It has the potential to multiply your investment in 10x, or even possibly 100x or more, who knows? However, such possibility only exists because it also has the potential to go to zero. So you have to take the good with the bad - the whole risk reward model

Because of that I agree its more of a speculation instead of an investment. That doesn't make it a bad thing, IMO its a potentially great thing. Make your own research about the technology and in case you decide to invest, only put what you can lose.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#1378 » by Jstock12 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:52 pm

IMO, the time to invest into BTC was when its value was still sub $1000. At this point, it just seems too volatile and risky, and the upside doesn't seem all that high.
cuyankees
Veteran

Post#1379 » by cuyankees » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:02 pm

RHODEY wrote:
cuyankees wrote:
ChilledAlex wrote:

According to Investopedia: ‘’An investment is an asset or item that is purchased with the hope that it will generate income or appreciate in the future’’

Speculation: ‘’The act of trading in an asset or conducting a financial transaction that has a significant risk of losing most or all of the initial outlay ’’.

In other words, speculation is a riskier way of investment. How safe is Bitcoin? Again it depends on your perspective. People who believe Bitcoin is extremely safe will say it is an investment because they are super certain of it’s success, while non-believers will just say it is a scam/bubble/ponzi/others.

So while I believe you should be extremely skeptical of everything. I personally believe Bitcoin is here to stay and I dare to say that it has the potential to be the biggest revolution since the internet.

Is Bitcoin still going to be around? Most likely. It has the potential to multiply your investment in 10x, or even possibly 100x or more, who knows? However, such possibility only exists because it also has the potential to go to zero. So you have to take the good with the bad - the whole risk reward model

Because of that I agree its more of a speculation instead of an investment. That doesn't make it a bad thing, IMO its a potentially great thing. Make your own research about the technology and in case you decide to invest, only put what you can lose.

Won’t go down the semantics route, just do yourself a favor and ask any institutional FX trader the diff btwn an investment and speculation. Stay locked in bc you’ll get a laugh 1st then the actual answer.

I get it man, there are tons of reasons to love BTC & the future. There are so many “problems” in our everyday life and blockchain and crypto would solve every one of them. Time & time again we see technology displace/disrupt markets, but the key difference is those markets don’t involve every major gov in the world and oh tech infrastructure to EFFICIENTLY perform a crypto transaction. This is a core investment analysis toolset bc every thing we do in life could be displaced by tech, but reality is that there aren’t biz around bc add valued/cost is just not there yet and where does it come from on the horizon?

When you look around @ tech “eating the world” there’s always a common theme, the tech does adds value by being more efficient than however you did it before and that efficiency can be realized through dirt cheap infrastructure turnover costs (app, website, or a “bolton” to current everyday tool). How much more costly is it for anyone to do biz in BTC? Significant. If your investment thesis is that USD, EUD, etc etc will fall out of just enough to require BTC or whatever, then you’re betting that a majority of the world will change the monetary “language” we speak every second of the day and it’ll happen in your lifetime. Good luck w that! With that, I always assume that crypto “investors” just don’t like the “trader” tag. If you’re trading it, then scalp it and own the moniker, but don’t align these views to fit your narrative bc they are as absurb as getting rid of Lee & THJ wout giving up assets. :)
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#1380 » by RHODEY » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:47 pm

cuyankees wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
cuyankees wrote:Slight correction: BTC is not a demandside based currency, it's entirely speculative. There is 0 demand for it to conduct transactions, just to be clear for all readers.

Won’t go down the semantics route, just do yourself a favor and ask any institutional FX trader the diff btwn an investment and speculation. Stay locked in bc you’ll get a laugh 1st then the actual answer.

I get it man, there are tons of reasons to love BTC & the future. There are so many “problems” in our everyday life and blockchain and crypto would solve every one of them. Time & time again we see technology displace/disrupt markets, but the key difference is those markets don’t involve every major gov in the world and oh tech infrastructure to EFFICIENTLY perform a crypto transaction. This is a core investment analysis toolset bc every thing we do in life could be displaced by tech, but reality is that there aren’t biz around bc add valued/cost is just not there yet and where does it come from on the horizon?

When you look around @ tech “eating the world” there’s always a common theme, the tech does adds value by being more efficient than however you did it before and that efficiency can be realized through dirt cheap infrastructure turnover costs (app, website, or a “bolton” to current everyday tool). How much more costly is it for anyone to do biz in BTC? Significant. If your investment thesis is that USD, EUD, etc etc will fall out of just enough to require BTC or whatever, then you’re betting that a majority of the world will change the monetary “language” we speak every second of the day and it’ll happen in your lifetime. Good luck w that! With that, I always assume that crypto “investors” just don’t like the “trader” tag. If you’re trading it, then scalp it and own the moniker, but don’t align these views to fit your narrative bc they are as absurb as getting rid of Lee & THJ wout giving up assets. :)

Not semantics, definitions. Anyway I agree that digital currencies are on the speculative end of the spectrum and I dont think that's a bad thing . Ill leave it at that.

Return to New York Knicks