ImageImageImageImageImage

OT any of you investing in Cryptocurrencies?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Re: OT any of you investing in Crypto? 

Post#541 » by IllmaticHandler » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:34 am

Jose7 wrote:Got in xrp on the low low..buy in dips fellas. Believe.

IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#542 » by IllmaticHandler » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:39 am

FRom an XRP group Im a part of....

Hi All

Long time Lurker & Hodler.

I recently got some information that 1 of the Major banks here in South Africa is trialing Xrapid. Had to share it with someone.

I'm trying to find out how long they have been trialing for, and how it is progressing. Will report back once i hear more back from my contact.

Being in south africa, you could definitely see where the real world use would come in. We have lots of migrant labour, and there is a huge amount of money that is sent to Nigeria, Zimbabwe etc from SA.

If ripple can get it right here, in our economic climate with the regulations we have in place, then im even more convinced in their ability to succeed elsewhere in the world. (south africa is one of the most regulated with regards to banking in the world)

Also this makes me certain that there are more banks than we would even care to think of trialing Xrapid.

Future is bright

CliffyB,

My brother in law is the IT director for a bank in South Africa that has been in talks with Ripple over the past year to create a pilot program. The plan is to to create a conduit between the bank in SA and a major bank in the US to conduct transactions. Sounds like Xcurrent to test the waters. My brother in law thinks that once they get comfortable with the technology that Xrapid/XRP would be the next logical step. The CFO of the bank in South Africa is particularly interested in the ability to reduce holding funds (US $) in nostro accounts with Xrapid / XRP solution. I believe this program will be signed and put into effect within the next 90 days.

Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#543 » by Mecca » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:48 am

So I was off an edible when the market crashed and I thought I bought half my shares of TRX and XRP and I just bought all TRX lmao! I got so many shares of it now smh.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
IAmTheBest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,803

Post#544 » by IAmTheBest » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:04 am

BKAY wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:
BKAY wrote:When you see the market at the top of unsustainable growth, you move back to bitcoin. When bitcoin swangs d*ck and lets everyone know they still are the king, you take up some alt positions. Bitcoin correcting and taking the whole market with it is all the proof you need that BTC is the king of the market.

At the end of the day, when investing in alts make sure you are making SATOSHIS on your investments not USD. The only time you worry about USD is when you are cashing out. This little pop and rebound was a great opportunity to make satoshis , hope some of yall did.

Agree with how the alt coin and bitcoin markets are tied but why would you move back to bitcoin? you'll still be taking mainly losses. why not just move to something like USD tether?

or is USD tether too sketchy?

I use bittrex mostly so Tether not available to me. Tether is super, super sketchy. But as long as it keeps being valued , how its supposed to no reason to not pop in and out of it to make trades easy. But Tether is the last currency Id like to be in during pops/crashes/corrections. It's going down (imo) at some point and its going to go down hard. But like I said if you can use it for convenience on smaller trades, go for it. Dont use it as any type of safety net because you could get burned hard. Not saying its a scam like others say but not saying its not a scam.

I prefer be in BTC at moments like we just had. Personally, I'm in it for long-term, BTC's cash value is irrelevant to me to a certain degree right now. I'm trying to get as much BTC as I can which will then turn to USD eventually. Your portfolio isnt growing if your satoshis arent growing.

If youre spread all over the place during crashes, you cant take advantage of market lows. Lets say you had most of your BTC holdings spread across alts....XLM,XRP,NEO, FUN, VTC, ARK, etc, etc. When the market goes down, you cant take advantage of the lows because everything you have is down and youll be selling for a loss or lose out on a bunch of gains. As you have seen most alts rebounded nicely.

What you want to do, and it is muchhh easier said than done is when the market is at crazy highs and everyone and their mother knows it.... trade that XLM,XRP,NEO, FUN, VTC, ARK, etc, etc, back to BTC. Market crashes...buy back into aforementioned currencies at lows....market rebounds and youre up. Rinse and repeat and youll be seeing not only dollar gains but BTC gains as well.

Yeah ive only used tether a few times, and it was for a stack I was playing the dips with and a very small percentage of my portfolio. Even then I was paranoid the plug would be pulled on USDT and i'd be screwed.

Ive always considered BTC to be the reserve for altcoins, so I didnt bother moving my positions in altcoins during dip to bitcoin...what I do is just load up on more alt coins at cheaper prices to strengthen my positions lol since I'm in it for the long term too.

but yea it's pretty hard to time the market. Might try and look for indicators of crashes and try your method. Predicting this crypto market is so hard though compared to the stock market.
Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Post#545 » by Da_Mane_Man » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:05 am

BKAY wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:
BKAY wrote:When you see the market at the top of unsustainable growth, you move back to bitcoin. When bitcoin swangs d*ck and lets everyone know they still are the king, you take up some alt positions. Bitcoin correcting and taking the whole market with it is all the proof you need that BTC is the king of the market.

At the end of the day, when investing in alts make sure you are making SATOSHIS on your investments not USD. The only time you worry about USD is when you are cashing out. This little pop and rebound was a great opportunity to make satoshis , hope some of yall did.

Agree with how the alt coin and bitcoin markets are tied but why would you move back to bitcoin? you'll still be taking mainly losses. why not just move to something like USD tether?

I use bittrex mostly so Tether not available to me. Tether is super, super sketchy. But as long as it keeps being valued , how its supposed to no reason to not pop in and out of it to make trades easy. But Tether is the last currency Id like to be in during pops/crashes/corrections. It's going down (imo) at some point and its going to go down hard. But like I said if you can use it for convenience on smaller trades, go for it. Dont use it as any type of safety net because you could get burned hard. Not saying its a scam like others say but not saying its not a scam.

I prefer be in BTC at moments like we just had. Personally, I'm in it for long-term, BTC's cash value is irrelevant to me to a certain degree right now. I'm trying to get as much BTC as I can which will then turn to USD eventually. Your portfolio isnt growing if your satoshis arent growing.

If youre spread all over the place during crashes, you cant take advantage of market lows. Lets say you had most of your BTC holdings spread across alts....XLM,XRP,NEO, FUN, VTC, ARK, etc, etc. When the market goes down, you cant take advantage of the lows because everything you have is down and youll be selling for a loss or lose out on a bunch of gains. As you have seen most alts rebounded nicely.

What you want to do, and it is muchhh easier said than done is when the market is at crazy highs and everyone and their mother knows it.... trade that XLM,XRP,NEO, FUN, VTC, ARK, etc, etc, back to BTC. Market crashes...buy back into aforementioned currencies at lows....market rebounds and youre up. Rinse and repeat and youll be seeing not only dollar gains but BTC gains as well.

This doesn't really make any sense. When the market crashes, and you're in BTC, then your purchasing power goes down because your BTC value goes down along with all the Alts. Ideally you'd like to be in USD during a crash so you can scoop up a bunch of BTC on the cheap.

As far as Tether goes, can you guys explain why anyone uses it? I'm really dumbfounded by it. The only reason I can think of is for tax purposes, as in, you avoid having to pay taxes if you never trade your crypto back to dollars (but I thought I heard that this is no longer true, you have to pay on all trades).
IAmTheBest
Sixth Man

Post#546 » by IAmTheBest » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:20 am

Da_Mane_Man wrote:
BKAY wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:Agree with how the alt coin and bitcoin markets are tied but why would you move back to bitcoin? you'll still be taking mainly losses. why not just move to something like USD tether?

This doesn't really make any sense. When the market crashes, and you're in BTC, then your purchasing power goes down because your BTC value goes down along with all the Alts. Ideally you'd like to be in USD during a crash so you can scoop up a bunch of BTC on the cheap.

As far as Tether goes, can you guys explain why anyone uses it? I'm really dumbfounded by it. The only reason I can think of is for tax purposes, as in, you avoid having to pay taxes if you never trade your crypto back to dollars (but I thought I heard that this is no longer true, you have to pay on all trades).

It actually makes sense most of the time. It's just hard to use this concept effectively enough to put into practice for most.

The important part of crashes is that, in most cases, during dips/crashes altcoins take bigger hits than BTC for the most part. However, in bull trends, altcoins rarely significantly exceed bitcoin growth.

So, if you have confidence in your coin compared to BTC, it makes sense to keep your position in that altcoin. Otherwise, you can cut your losses by switching to BTC

With regards to tether, you're right about the new tax policies. But the part that you're forgetting is that if you have a huge stack worth six or seven figures of USD, it's incredibly cumbersome to liquidate all of that into actual USD in a timely manner during an impending/current crash. That's where tether comes in.
IAmTheBest
Sixth Man

Post#547 » by IAmTheBest » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:24 am

damn we got a strong xrp crew up in here
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#548 » by IllmaticHandler » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:25 am

Mecca wrote:So I was off an edible when the market crashed and I thought I bought half my shares of TRX and XRP and I just bought all TRX lmao! I got so many shares of it now smh.

Sheeet TRX is the most schit I own. :lol: I bought a **** load @ 4cents
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#549 » by IllmaticHandler » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:26 am

Even thoe I been talking about XRP alot. My favorite out of all the Alt Coins is Cardano. I like what they about
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#550 » by Mecca » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:28 am

IllmaticHandler wrote:
Mecca wrote:So I was off an edible when the market crashed and I thought I bought half my shares of TRX and XRP and I just bought all TRX lmao! I got so many shares of it now smh.

Sheeet TRX is the most schit I own. :lol: I bought a **** load @ 4cents

Word, I been doing the research on Tron and I'm cool w it. The CEO has a history of success.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
IAmTheBest
Sixth Man

Post#551 » by IAmTheBest » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:38 am

IllmaticHandler wrote:Even thoe I been talking about XRP alot. My favorite out of all the Alt Coins is Cardano. I like what they about

I like cardano and had some before but I converted everything to altcoins with lower marketcaps

no longer have anything with a market cap in the top 15 yolo
BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Post#552 » by BKAY » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:41 am

Da_Mane_Man wrote:
BKAY wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:Agree with how the alt coin and bitcoin markets are tied but why would you move back to bitcoin? you'll still be taking mainly losses. why not just move to something like USD tether?

Not true, BTC purchasing power goes up during crashes. 1 btc still equals 1 bitcoin during a crash. While an alt may be .10000000 BTC at its height but .06000000 during the bottom of a crash/correction. Its more of a method of locking BTC profit and re-securing positions at lower valuation that I was mentioning.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,277

Post#553 » by RHODEY » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:54 am

IAmTheBest wrote:

VIBE all the way!
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#554 » by IllmaticHandler » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:19 am

RHODEY wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:

VIBE all the way!

I sold my vibe when it was @ 1.70. I actually Like vibe. I might buy back in one day. I like that alot of black people are behind it.
IAmTheBest
Sixth Man

Post#555 » by IAmTheBest » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:21 am

RHODEY wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:

VIBE all the way!

joocy gainz today
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,277

Post#556 » by RHODEY » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:25 am

IAmTheBest wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:damn we got a strong xrp crew up in here

VIBE all the way!

joocy gainz today

It's my cash cow. I was fortunate enough to get in at the ICO level...
IAmTheBest
Sixth Man

Post#557 » by IAmTheBest » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:05 am

RHODEY wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:
RHODEY wrote:VIBE all the way!

joocy gainz today

It's my cash cow. I was fortunate enough to get in at the ICO level...

damn nice.

i really gotta start getting into icos and hopefully hit a goldmine
Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Post#558 » by Da_Mane_Man » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:18 am

BKAY wrote:
Da_Mane_Man wrote:
BKAY wrote:

Not true, BTC purchasing power goes up during crashes. 1 btc still equals 1 bitcoin during a crash. While an alt may be .10000000 BTC at its height but .06000000 during the bottom of a crash/correction. Its more of a method of locking BTC profit and re-securing positions at lower valuation that I was mentioning.

Hold on, I look at things from a USD perspective. If BTC is worth $1200 before the crash, and $800 at the bottom of the crash, then you would be better off cashing out at the top of the crash and re-purchasing near the bottom. $1 is always going to be $1. 1BTC could be worth $1200 or $800.
Carl_Karlson
Head Coach
And1: 3,030

Post#559 » by Carl_Karlson » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:21 am

Timmy phucking up our tank again
WTF Post of 2017:

If Phil pulled that off, I would put a put a paper bag over my head, paste a picture of Jeannie on it, poke a hole through the mouth, and give Phil the best BJ he's ever had in his entire life.[/quote]
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#560 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:21 pm

I actually don't have XRP or TRX. :o Why should I buy in?

Return to New York Knicks