ImageImageImageImageImage

What's wrong with Kristaps Porzingis right now?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,934

Re: What's wrong with Kristaps Porzingis right now? 

Post#601 » by Fury » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:22 pm

Jellybeans wrote:
Fury wrote:
E-Balla wrote:He actually averages less rebounds per 36 at center. Only 7.3 rebounds per 36 when he's in the game at C. That's Bargnani numbers. Our defensive rating with him at PF is 104.6. With him at C it's 109.0. This isn't a small sample size thing too this has been a pattern his whole career. He blocks slightly more shots at C but he also averages 5.7 fouls per 36 at C over his career and 5.9 so far this year. KP as a full time center just ain't where its at on any level.

I think that’s something that should change over the years as he gets older and stronger. Are the numbers skewed by his rookie year?

Like one rebound down,but then our pg was Calderon,and KP played closer to the basket.

Yeah I remember his first year before he got seduced into doing Melo moves, he would spend his time cleaning the glass. When’s the last time he had a putback poster dunk? He needs to stop trying to be a wing
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,403
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#602 » by E-Balla » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:23 pm

Fury wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
Jellybeans wrote:How can he grab rebounds from 3pt line? Yeah sometimes hes very passive,but he cant get them guarding dudes on 3pt line.

He actually averages less rebounds per 36 at center. Only 7.3 rebounds per 36 when he's in the game at C. That's Bargnani numbers. Our defensive rating with him at PF is 104.6. With him at C it's 109.0. This isn't a small sample size thing too this has been a pattern his whole career. He blocks slightly more shots at C but he also averages 5.7 fouls per 36 at C over his career and 5.9 so far this year. KP as a full time center just ain't where its at on any level.

I think that’s something that should change over the years as he gets older and stronger. Are the numbers skewed by his rookie year?

Bolded the relevant part that should answer your question. KP's total fouls per game are down this year but mainly because he's playing half as much at C as usual (last year he played more at C than any other year of his career).

And KP just isn't a natural C. Y'all need to stop wanting to force it on him it will not work out. Maybe when he's 28 he'll develop enough to be able to play C but right now KP is one of the top 3 PFs in the game and at C he'd be below average for a starter. Dude is just trash at everything a C should do besides block shots.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,403
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#603 » by E-Balla » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:26 pm

Fury wrote:
Jellybeans wrote:
Fury wrote:

Like one rebound down,but then our pg was Calderon,and KP played closer to the basket.

Yeah I remember his first year before he got seduced into doing Melo moves, he would spend his time cleaning the glass. When’s the last time he had a putback poster dunk? He needs to stop trying to be a wing

I said it back then y'all and the team wanted him to be this scoring unicorn and it was the wrong way to go about things. What I originally loved about KP was his toughness. Now its gone and we have 7-3 soft Melo minus the handles with even worse vision that blocks shots instead of Rasheed Wallace on steroids like he should've been.

Actually Melo averaged more rebounds a night then KP in his prime...
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#604 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:40 pm

Shammy said it at the start of the season, the Knicks were winning, riding him...problem is, it takes its toll and league catches up.

So long Hornacek is playing a system that depends on outscoring the opposition, this team does not have enough talent to do that. This is why it is FOOLISH for Mills and Perry to try their best to push this team into the playoffs. It's not making the team better or more attractive to free agents but a typical Knicks franchise.
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,146

Post#605 » by drekwins » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:30 pm

Let's be honest... KP doesn't have a perfect position at this point in time. He doesn't play like a big and isn't fast/elusive enough to be a wing. Well... he's not going to get any faster. So, he's going to have to learn how to play bigger/more efficeint and rebound better. That's just the basic requirements of a PF/C. If he learns to create for others or himself, then he can really take it to the next level. However, he hasn't really shown that up to this point.

He's really fighting himself. He wants to be a wing but his body is not that of a wing. It's like the fastest turtle trying to race against a rabbit. They might have impressive turtle speed but they'll never be a rabbit. KP has to understand that he can still be one of the best shooting and elusive centers/power forwards in the game. That will be extremely valuable. However, he'll never be the wing that he desires to be.
Kurt Rambis
Senior
And1: 483

Post#606 » by Kurt Rambis » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:46 pm

KP is neighter strong or quick to dominate powerforwards at elbow spot. Why we force same thing over and over again instead of more catch and shoot type of game for KP? The guy is 7'3 and still weak. He shot bricks now because he was wrestling early on to get post position. Kp has his weaknesses and faults as well any player. I dont trust our coaching staff to hide them or teach to do better.

Cant wait for a coaching change. They burned KP before allstar with their stubborness. Offense looks like designed as if Melo still on the team.
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#607 » by Amsterdam » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:49 pm

PK's return from the last injury, the game he had 0 points and Beasley single-handedly beat the Celtics was telling. The Celtics' defense has shown the league how to nullify PK's height advantage. Get into his legs and push him away low.

Watch this old highlight of Boston's strategy.

All the teams are doing it now, since it's harder for the refs to catch it when smaller players are switched on him (which is everyone).

There is one other reason in my book for PK's drop in efficiency.
Neither Frank nor Jack score on penetrations to draw in offenses and give PK open looks. Frank must start being more unselfish. Hopefully Trey Burkes addition will prove this point.
YouthMovement
General Manager
And1: 4,756

Post#608 » by YouthMovement » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:37 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:Some of you are the worst fans. The kid is obviously struggling, and you are ready to throw him under the bus, and call him names. Terrible fans some of you are.

not really. all of these observations are quite obvious actually. even his biggest fan (like me) would be really disappointed with his performance and apparent effort sometimes
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#609 » by Sprewell4Three » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:46 pm

Nothing is wrong with KP. He's a young player going through growing pains. Nothing more and nothing less. IDK how some can continue to over-analyze this situation for more then it is.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#610 » by Sprewell4Three » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:48 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Shammy said it at the start of the season, the Knicks were winning, riding him...problem is, it takes its toll and league catches up.

So long Hornacek is playing a system that depends on outscoring the opposition, this team does not have enough talent to do that. This is why it is FOOLISH for Mills and Perry to try their best to push this team into the playoffs. It's not making the team better or more attractive to free agents but a typical Knicks franchise.

They should push towards the playoffs until they're mathematically out. This notion that we just have to be bad, just to be bad doesn't sit well with me. And trust me, it doesn't sit well with the players either.
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#611 » by BeagleBoss » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:53 pm

Mitchell would have helped KP a lot. Lack of support is a big reason for his declining. We **** up in the Draft and most here don't want to admit it.
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#612 » by NYKHardKnock » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:57 pm

Such a bummer, disappointing to say the least. Really expected KP to take the next step. Clearly the level of talent of the team didn't effect him earlier in the season. KP needs to change his ways.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,668

Post#613 » by Johnny Firpo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:16 pm

YouthMovement wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:Some of you are the worst fans. The kid is obviously struggling, and you are ready to throw him under the bus, and call him names. Terrible fans some of you are.

not really. all of these observations are quite obvious actually. even his biggest fan (like me) would be really disappointed with his performance and apparent effort sometimes

What not really? What are you saying? Did I say it's not okay to be disappointed?
Bourne85
General Manager
And1: 9,004

Post#614 » by Bourne85 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:17 pm

I think you guys are being a lil too harsh on KP. He is super young and can still grow his game and get tougher/stronger.

But I will say, this is reminding me of earlier Times when Knicks were after Lebron and Bosh and Got Amare (the worst “star” out of the bunch).

If KP is the worst of the up an coming “stars”, then you need to sell high before other teams realize the same. I’m not so sure I would get rid of him yet tho. Tough decision
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#615 » by taj2133 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:24 pm

kp needs to rebound the baskeball better if shot is not falling get lot of rebounds he shouldn't be grabbing 7 rebounds he needs to at least grab 10 rebounds game and don't little guys out rebound you and he needs to use his height for his advantage he is 7foot3 not 6foot6.
Kurt Rambis
Senior
And1: 483

Post#616 » by Kurt Rambis » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:44 pm

Do we have proper big man trainer for him? Some of the things because of his weak body but also some of the things happens because he is skipping fundamental stuff on rebounding and positioning, moves on post.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,334

Post#617 » by Phish Tank » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:03 pm

if he had put on weight and muscle like Giannis did his first two offseasons, he wouldn't be struggling like he has.....

Then again, Jokic's also having a bit of struggles this year too....
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,146

Post#618 » by drekwins » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:10 pm

Bourne85 wrote:I think you guys are being a lil too harsh on KP. He is super young and can still grow his game and get tougher/stronger.

But I will say, this is reminding me of earlier Times when Knicks were after Lebron and Bosh and Got Amare (the worst “star” out of the bunch).

If KP is the worst of the up an coming “stars”, then you need to sell high before other teams realize the same. I’m not so sure I would get rid of him yet tho. Tough decision

Wait, wait, wait... Amar'e was better than Bosh. Injuries were what derailed him and it wasn't a great risk. But, he was a heck of a player.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#619 » by Sark » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:25 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Shammy said it at the start of the season, the Knicks were winning, riding him...problem is, it takes its toll and league catches up.

They should push towards the playoffs until they're mathematically out. This notion that we just have to be bad, just to be bad doesn't sit well with me. And trust me, it doesn't sit well with the players either.

Well they don't have to be bad by choice, but they could focus more on developing chemistry with the young kids, who are our future. KP and Frank should be playing major minutes together. Instead they have only played ~290 minutes. KP is instead building chemistry with 34 year old Jarrett Jack, because that's obviously our future.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,069

Post#620 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:30 pm

Bourne85 wrote:I think you guys are being a lil too harsh on KP. He is super young and can still grow his game and get tougher/stronger.

Or the Knicks could just continue to build the team, just not around KP.

Enjoy your lil redneck Johnson though

Return to New York Knicks