ImageImageImageImageImage

What's wrong with Kristaps Porzingis right now?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Re: What's wrong with Kristaps Porzingis right now? 

Post#621 » by Amsterdam » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:36 pm

BeagleBoss wrote:Mitchell would have helped KP a lot. Lack of support is a big reason for his declining. We **** up in the Draft and most here don't want to admit it.

1 Markelle Fultz PG/SG Philadelphia 76ers (from Brooklyn via Boston)
2 Lonzo Ball PG Los Angeles Lakers UCLA (Fr.)
3 Jayson Tatum SF Boston Celtics (from Sacramento via Philadelphia) Duke (Fr.)
4 Josh Jackson SF Phoenix Suns Kansas (Fr.)
5 De'Aaron Fox PG Sacramento Kings (from Philadelphia) Kentucky (Fr.)
6 Jonathan Isaac SF/PF Orlando Magic Florida State (Fr.)
7 Lauri Markkanen PF Minnesota Timberwolves (traded to Chicago Bulls)[a] Arizona (Fr.)
8 Frank Ntilikina PG France[n 2] New York Knicks SIG Strasbourg (France)
9 Dennis Smith Jr. PG Dallas Mavericks NC State (Fr.)
10 Zach Collins C/PF Sacramento Kings (from New Orleans,[D] traded to Portland Trail Blazers[b]) Gonzaga (Fr.)
11 Malik Monk SG Charlotte Hornets Kentucky (Fr.)
12 Luke Kennard SG Detroit Pistons Duke (So.)
13 Donovan Mitchell

Except for Tatum, Markkanen and Dennis Smith Jr, I'd say a portion of every team's fanbase are second guessing their picks. While the cream has risen with Tatum and Mitchell, no-one plays better defense than Frank. He has too much Euro ball in him and why not, it's how he grew up.

It is my belief right here, that once he sees more of Trey Burke and THJ, his mind set will take another step up on the ladder.
Gil
Starter
And1: 1,283

Post#622 » by Gil » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:02 am

Amsterdam wrote:
BeagleBoss wrote:Mitchell would have helped KP a lot. Lack of support is a big reason for his declining. We **** up in the Draft and most here don't want to admit it.

7 Lauri Markkanen PF Minnesota Timberwolves (traded to Chicago Bulls)[a] Arizona (Fr.)
10 Zach Collins C/PF Sacramento Kings (from New Orleans,[D] traded to Portland Trail Blazers[b]) Gonzaga (Fr.)
13 Donovan Mitchell

Except for Tatum, Markkanen and Dennis Smith Jr, I'd say a portion of every team's fanbase are second guessing their picks. While the cream has risen with Tatum and Mitchell, no-one plays better defense than Frank. He has too much Euro ball in him and why not, it's how he grew up.

It is my belief right here, that once he sees more of Trey Burke and THJ, his mind set will take another step up on the ladder.

Lonzo & Jackson are legit.
nyJnyKnyY
Rookie
And1: 360

Post#623 » by nyJnyKnyY » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:04 am

nykinoz wrote:
Fury wrote:
shtolky wrote:23.7ppg, 7 rpg, 2.3 blks, 37% from 3...on a team that is currently devoid of any offensive talent and a steady PG...oh and he's 22. Nothing is wrong with him. The haters will be out now and when he plays well again they'll hide as always. Give me a break. Booing him on draft night to these numbers in year 3 before his 23rd birthday and it still isn't good enough.

+1

+1000

+abillionfafillion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#624 » by Greenie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:00 am

Kurt Rambis wrote:KP is neighter strong or quick to dominate powerforwards at elbow spot. Why we force same thing over and over again instead of more catch and shoot type of game for KP? The guy is 7'3 and still weak. He shot bricks now because he was wrestling early on to get post position. Kp has his weaknesses and faults as well any player. I dont trust our coaching staff to hide them or teach to do better.

Cant wait for a coaching change. They burned KP before allstar with their stubborness. Offense looks like designed as if Melo still on the team.

Or maybe this is who he is.
Kinglee
Analyst
And1: 1,177

Post#625 » by Kinglee » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:15 am

How Melo still gets mentioned is beyond me
Amsterdam
Analyst

Post#626 » by Amsterdam » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:35 am

Gil wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

13 Donovan Mitchell

No doubt. Josh Jackson is what they've projected. As far as Mitchell, Devin Booker is already there. Jackson was a need and is a good fit in Phoenix. if DeAngelo Russell would have panned, would Lonzo have dropped?
Lonzo's rises been slow and family distractions are nuts! Not sure many that would have wanted that constant headache. Donovan Michell in hindsight, would be higher on LA 's chart right now too.
Amsterdam
Analyst

Post#627 » by Amsterdam » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:46 am

Amsterdam wrote:
Gil wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

13 Donovan Mitchell

No doubt. Josh Jackson is what they've projected. As far as Mitchell, Devin Booker is already there. Jackson was a need and is a good fit in Phoenix. if DeAngelo Russell would have panned, would Lonzo have dropped?
Lonzo's rises been slow and family distractions are nuts! Not sure many that would have wanted that constant headache. Donovan Michell in hindsight, would be higher on LA 's chart right now too.

Don't want to redirect the thread towards Frank/Mitchell. My only point is that once Frank's game continues to adapt and attacks more, KP is going to get cleaner looks.
Lastly, Mitchell doesn't run the Jazz's offense, Ricky Rubio does that. So no one knows with 100% certainty and in NY, how Mitchell would be doing in that strict role.
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,393

Post#628 » by drekwins » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:19 am

nykinoz wrote:
Fury wrote:
+1

+1000

A FG% that's about to go into the 42's is a problem. Idc what your PPG or 3 Point percentages are. Neither of those matter when 75.8% of your shots are from 2 point range and you're inefficient. He'd be better off just standing behind the line and chucking.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,404

Post#629 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:47 am

Kinglee wrote:How Melo still gets mentioned is beyond me

Easy

KP isn't that great and Melo was a selfish ballstopper whose style of play isn't conducive to winning

Not that hard.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,074

Post#630 » by god shammgod » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:16 am

Read on Twitter

this guy been reading realgm
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,348

Post#631 » by Phish Tank » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:21 am

god shammgod wrote:
Read on Twitter

I guess he listened to me and stopped asking about Willy's minutes
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#632 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:17 am

Think I was reading a deadspin article that pointed out how so few of his shots come from three or at the rim. Which is not usually efficient basketball. He may specialize in derozans old way of playing.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#633 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:10 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Read on Twitter

I was just coming here to post this very same thing
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,586

Post#634 » by Fat Kat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:29 pm

Kurt Rambis wrote:Do we have proper big man trainer for him? Some of the things because of his weak body but also some of the things happens because he is skipping fundamental stuff on rebounding and positioning, moves on post.

Ask Janis
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,045

Post#635 » by Sark » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:05 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Read on Twitter

GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#636 » by GEOLINK » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:18 pm

Amsterdam wrote:

13 Donovan Mitchell

Finally someone with sense! :D
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#637 » by GEOLINK » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:21 pm

Greenie wrote:
Kurt Rambis wrote:KP is neighter strong or quick to dominate powerforwards at elbow spot. Why we force same thing over and over again instead of more catch and shoot type of game for KP? The guy is 7'3 and still weak. He shot bricks now because he was wrestling early on to get post position. Kp has his weaknesses and faults as well any player. I dont trust our coaching staff to hide them or teach to do better.

Cant wait for a coaching change. They burned KP before allstar with their stubborness. Offense looks like designed as if Melo still on the team.

Rookie year KP was a completely different player. Wasn’t until last year that they started forcing elbow post up plays for him instead of him being a more catch & shoot, putback player that he showed he could be.

This completely falls on Jeff and the coaching staff.
Kinglee
Analyst
And1: 1,177

Post#638 » by Kinglee » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:16 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
Greenie wrote:

Rookie year KP was a completely different player. Wasn’t until last year that they started forcing elbow post up plays for him instead of him being a more catch & shoot, putback player that he showed he could be.

Excuse them for wanting him to be more than Ryan Anderson
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#639 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:30 pm

Kinglee wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
Greenie wrote:Or maybe this is who he is.

They should. But even Ryan Anderson does more than spot up for 3. He posts a little and puts the ball on the floor some.

The thing is - and the stats were posted - tall guys don't hold up under the minutes and usage rate KP is getting and there is no way around the fact that he's 7'3". Sure, some of it may be his anemia or conditioning, but I think they are just playing him too many minutes.

As far as usage, KP's got a variety of talents but a the ones that should be most "awesome" aren't really. He's a streaky 3 point shooter. But he can do it. His post game is, well, a work in progress. He's pretty mobile for a guy his size and 7'3" alters the other team's offense and he's good at that. That's a very useful player. Maybe never a franchise player. But it's up to the coaching staff to play him to his strengths and MAKE him play to his strengths. Sure he can "Iso post" a couple of times a game. But that's it. I'm on record I never want to see KP dribble again. Stop that crossover BS, trying to back guys down with dribbles etc. Save that sh*t for year 5 or whenever it's actually good. Screen for him, flash for 12 foot jumpers, flash into the paint for quick shots, let him shoot a few 3's.

Pretty sure KP's talent level and base mentality is a "within the flow of the offense" sort of guy. But Janis and the Knicks got it in his head he's "The man". He's not. But he'd be a good part of a cohesive team that moves the ball and gets him the ball off movement. And KP doesn't have to be 7'3" Reggie Miller or Rip Hamilton for that to happen.

Oh, and with less minutes and usage he wouldn't turn into a statue in the 2nd half of games due to exhaustion, like he has 3 Januaries in a row. Hopefully.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#640 » by GEOLINK » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:02 pm

Kinglee wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
Greenie wrote:Or maybe this is who he is.

In what weird dimension does Ryan Anderson enter in your mind as a comparison for KP...

All I was saying is KP’s main offensive go to shouldn’t be a elbow post up.

Return to New York Knicks