ImageImageImageImageImage

What's wrong with Kristaps Porzingis right now?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Re: What's wrong with Kristaps Porzingis right now? 

Post#641 » by GEOLINK » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:05 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:Rookie year KP was a completely different player. Wasn’t until last year that they started forcing elbow post up plays for him instead of him being a more catch & shoot, putback player that he showed he could be.

This completely falls on Jeff and the coaching staff.

Excuse them for wanting him to be more than Ryan Anderson

They should. But even Ryan Anderson does more than spot up for 3. He posts a little and puts the ball on the floor some.

The thing is - and the stats were posted - tall guys don't hold up under the minutes and usage rate KP is getting and there is no way around the fact that he's 7'3". Sure, some of it may be his anemia or conditioning, but I think they are just playing him too many minutes.

As far as usage, KP's got a variety of talents but a the ones that should be most "awesome" aren't really. He's a streaky 3 point shooter. But he can do it. His post game is, well, a work in progress. He's pretty mobile for a guy his size and 7'3" alters the other team's offense and he's good at that. That's a very useful player. Maybe never a franchise player. But it's up to the coaching staff to play him to his strengths and MAKE him play to his strengths. Sure he can "Iso post" a couple of times a game. But that's it. I'm on record I never want to see KP dribble again. Stop that crossover BS, trying to back guys down with dribbles etc. Save that sh*t for year 5 or whenever it's actually good. Screen for him, flash for 12 foot jumpers, flash into the paint for quick shots, let him shoot a few 3's.

Pretty sure KP's talent level and base mentality is a "within the flow of the offense" sort of guy. But Janis and the Knicks got it in his head he's "The man". He's not. But he'd be a good part of a cohesive team that moves the ball and gets him the ball off movement. And KP doesn't have to be 7'3" Reggie Miller or Rip Hamilton for that to happen.

Oh, and with less minutes and usage he wouldn't turn into a statue in the 2nd half of games due to exhaustion, like he has 3 Januaries in a row. Hopefully.
In my fantasy world called NBA 2K, he’s primarily a pick and roll, pick and pop shooter and excels at it. I can’t see why they can’t draw those plays for him more IRL.

If you look back at his rookie highlights that’s exactly what he was doing.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,403

Post#642 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:12 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Kinglee wrote:Excuse them for wanting him to be more than Ryan Anderson

They should. But even Ryan Anderson does more than spot up for 3. He posts a little and puts the ball on the floor some.

The thing is - and the stats were posted - tall guys don't hold up under the minutes and usage rate KP is getting and there is no way around the fact that he's 7'3". Sure, some of it may be his anemia or conditioning, but I think they are just playing him too many minutes.

As far as usage, KP's got a variety of talents but a the ones that should be most "awesome" aren't really. He's a streaky 3 point shooter. But he can do it. His post game is, well, a work in progress. He's pretty mobile for a guy his size and 7'3" alters the other team's offense and he's good at that. That's a very useful player. Maybe never a franchise player. But it's up to the coaching staff to play him to his strengths and MAKE him play to his strengths. Sure he can "Iso post" a couple of times a game. But that's it. I'm on record I never want to see KP dribble again. Stop that crossover BS, trying to back guys down with dribbles etc. Save that sh*t for year 5 or whenever it's actually good. Screen for him, flash for 12 foot jumpers, flash into the paint for quick shots, let him shoot a few 3's.

Pretty sure KP's talent level and base mentality is a "within the flow of the offense" sort of guy. But Janis and the Knicks got it in his head he's "The man". He's not. But he'd be a good part of a cohesive team that moves the ball and gets him the ball off movement. And KP doesn't have to be 7'3" Reggie Miller or Rip Hamilton for that to happen.

Oh, and with less minutes and usage he wouldn't turn into a statue in the 2nd half of games due to exhaustion, like he has 3 Januaries in a row. Hopefully.
In my fantasy world called NBA 2K, he’s primarily a pick and roll, pick and pop shooter and excels at it. I can’t see why they can’t draw those plays for him more IRL.

They should. They should also be developing his post game. Just not so damn much.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#643 » by GEOLINK » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:14 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

They should. They should also be developing his post game. Just not so damn much.

He just looks so unnatural going to it when it's against a good defender, small or tall. He's not a classic big man who can go back to the basket and body defenders.

He's got some nice post moves once in a while but the league has figured him out.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#644 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:40 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:In my fantasy world called NBA 2K, he’s primarily a pick and roll, pick and pop shooter and excels at it. I can’t see why they can’t draw those plays for him more IRL.

He just looks so unnatural going to it when it's against a good defender, small or tall. He's not a classic big man who can go back to the basket and body defenders.

He's got some nice post moves once in a while but the league has figured him out.

Basically he has mix and match sort of game and the Knicks need to mix up his looks.

Often enough they decoy with him in the offense and don't make him a focal point. They need to make him less of a focal point. Counterintuitively, that doesn't mean his # of shots go down, or go down any less than THJr coming back meant.
Short version - stop force feeding him the ball in the post.
Savageknick2190
Senior
And1: 138

Post#645 » by Savageknick2190 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:41 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:
Gil wrote:Lonzo & Jackson are legit.

No doubt. Josh Jackson is what they've projected. As far as Mitchell, Devin Booker is already there. Jackson was a need and is a good fit in Phoenix. if DeAngelo Russell would have panned, would Lonzo have dropped?
Lonzo's rises been slow and family distractions are nuts! Not sure many that would have wanted that constant headache. Donovan Michell in hindsight, would be higher on LA 's chart right now too.

Don't want to redirect the thread towards Frank/Mitchell. My only point is that once Frank's game continues to adapt and attacks more, KP is going to get cleaner looks.
Lastly, Mitchell doesn't run the Jazz's offense, Ricky Rubio does that. So no one knows with 100% certainty and in NY, how Mitchell would be doing in that strict role.

This statement isn't true. Mitchell is the backup point guard for the Jazz. He spends half each game playing the point guard position. In fact most nights he plays more minutes at the point than Frank does.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#646 » by Greenie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:15 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Kurt Rambis wrote:KP is neighter strong or quick to dominate powerforwards at elbow spot. Why we force same thing over and over again instead of more catch and shoot type of game for KP? The guy is 7'3 and still weak. He shot bricks now because he was wrestling early on to get post position. Kp has his weaknesses and faults as well any player. I dont trust our coaching staff to hide them or teach to do better.

Cant wait for a coaching change. They burned KP before allstar with their stubborness. Offense looks like designed as if Melo still on the team.

Or maybe this is who he is.

Rookie year KP was a completely different player. Wasn’t until last year that they started forcing elbow post up plays for him instead of him being a more catch & shoot, putback player that he showed he could be.

This completely falls on Jeff and the coaching staff.

I said this last year. People kept pointing to his stats.

I'm taking rookie KP over this one. I loved that dude.
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#647 » by Amsterdam » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:29 pm

Savageknick2190 wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:
No doubt. Josh Jackson is what they've projected. As far as Mitchell, Devin Booker is already there. Jackson was a need and is a good fit in Phoenix. if DeAngelo Russell would have panned, would Lonzo have dropped?
Lonzo's rises been slow and family distractions are nuts! Not sure many that would have wanted that constant headache. Donovan Michell in hindsight, would be higher on LA 's chart right now too.

Don't want to redirect the thread towards Frank/Mitchell. My only point is that once Frank's game continues to adapt and attacks more, KP is going to get cleaner looks.
Lastly, Mitchell doesn't run the Jazz's offense, Ricky Rubio does that. So no one knows with 100% certainty and in NY, how Mitchell would be doing in that strict role.

This statement isn't true. Mitchell is the backup point guard for the Jazz. He spends half each game playing the point guard position. In fact most nights he plays more minutes at the point than Frank does.

Ok point taken. Donovan is a bona fide star in the making. Utah's team, coach and city fits him well. No arguments here.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#648 » by Greenie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:32 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Kinglee wrote:How Melo still gets mentioned is beyond me

Easy

KP isn't that great and Melo was a selfish ballstopper whose style of play isn't conducive to winning

Not that hard.

bull.

Melo dealt with worse rosters here. The same people trying to give KP a pass hated Melo. Something is not adding up.

Where was Melo's PG?
Where was Melo's help?

KP is looking A LOT like Melo when he starts forcing shots and doesn't look to pass. KP looking a lot like Melo when that iso mess starts because we don't run plays.

I guess KP is a selfish ball-stopper whose play style isn't conducive to winning...

Oh wait, it's the Knicks.

With all of Melo's flaws his ass is on a playoff team with two players actually better than him. Meanwhile in Knick land I'm watching Jared Jack start.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#649 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:49 pm

It's really not just having better pg play, but rather just having actual playmakers. Knicks really don't have either right now, so naturally a player who isn't a playmaker himself will struggle.

The of course if the team had those things, they'd have to have plays to run and they don't have that either.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#650 » by Mecca » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:57 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:It's really not just having better pg play, but rather just having actual playmakers. Knicks really don't have either right now, so naturally a player who isn't a playmaker himself will struggle.

The of course if the team had those things, they'd have to have plays to run and they don't have that either.

cough *target Kyle Anderson in FA* cough
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#651 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:04 pm

Greenie wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Kinglee wrote:How Melo still gets mentioned is beyond me

Easy

KP isn't that great and Melo was a selfish ballstopper whose style of play isn't conducive to winning

Not that hard.

bull.

Melo dealt with worse rosters here. The same people trying to give KP a pass hated Melo. Something is not adding up.

Where was Melo's PG?
Where was Melo's help?

KP is looking A LOT like Melo when he starts forcing shots and doesn't look to pass. KP looking a lot like Melo when that iso mess starts because we don't run plays.

I guess KP is a selfish ball-stopper whose play style isn't conducive to winning...

Oh wait, it's the Knicks.

With all of Melo's flaws his ass is on a playoff team with two players actually better than him. Meanwhile in Knick land I'm watching Jared Jack start.

It's all true.

Melo isn't that easy to build around because the ball stops with him. But he was a great scorer, so you should build around that, but they didn't. The rosters and the coaches sucked, to include your personal fave Woodson. KP isn't ready now (possibly ever) to be "the man" and not unlike a lot of players, is a guy who needs to be the end result of a play, not the beginning or middle of it. And again the roster sucks.
Also, Melo needed other players. Especially the last few years where for whatever reason, he started to slow down a little. I'm not exactly sold on the fact that Melo would accept a reduced role to be a 3rd wheel on the Knicks, even if they had the talent. Sometimes a player or individual has to move along to accept that. But that's pure conjecture. Melo still got the lions share of shots here not based on accepting a lesser role, but because everyone else, to include KP, wasn't good enough to shoot more and KP got plenty of shot anyway, especially 2nd year KP.

Possible for it all to be true.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#652 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:05 pm

What's depressing is Jack is starting because he's obviously better than Frank. That's some PG rotation right there.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,723

Post#653 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:10 pm

KP's anemic.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/13/another-porzingis-winter-slumber-should-terrify-knicks/

The entire franchise is built upon Porzingis becoming a superstar for the ages, contending for greatest-Knick-ever status. And while he should become a perennial All-Star, the franchise needs him to be more than Pau Gasol — or Paul Millsap.

The Knicks (19-23) are losing now not because Porzingis doesn’t have enough help. They’re losing because he isn’t doing enough.

The 7-foot-3 Latvian has not played like an All-Star since December, hitting another wall. His recent “so tired’’ remark in Washington will be cited until the 22-year-old snaps out of this post-November funk.

Porzingis’ core strength, stamina and genetic makeup are relevant issues, with a third straight fade after brilliant play in October and November. During his rookie year, it was revealed he had been diagnosed with anemia during his Spanish League days. Porzingis took iron to combat the ensuing fatigue and still does.
Free Palestine
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#654 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:12 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:What's depressing is Jack is starting because he's obviously better than Frank. That's some PG rotation right there.

I admit, I thought Frank would have claimed it by now.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#655 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:14 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:What's depressing is Jack is starting because he's obviously better than Frank. That's some PG rotation right there.

I was thinking post all star break but I think that's not happening. Based on a sort of combination of how he's playing and the fact that Jeff pretty much isn't showing me any inclination it'll happen.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#656 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:15 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:KP's anemic.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/13/another-porzingis-winter-slumber-should-terrify-knicks/

The entire franchise is built upon Porzingis becoming a superstar for the ages, contending for greatest-Knick-ever status. And while he should become a perennial All-Star, the franchise needs him to be more than Pau Gasol — or Paul Millsap.

The Knicks (19-23) are losing now not because Porzingis doesn’t have enough help. They’re losing because he isn’t doing enough.

The 7-foot-3 Latvian has not played like an All-Star since December, hitting another wall. His recent “so tired’’ remark in Washington will be cited until the 22-year-old snaps out of this post-November funk.

Porzingis’ core strength, stamina and genetic makeup are relevant issues, with a third straight fade after brilliant play in October and November. During his rookie year, it was revealed he had been diagnosed with anemia during his Spanish League days. Porzingis took iron to combat the ensuing fatigue and still does.

That article is a rehash of the last week of "what's up with KP" topic here. Heck, I can spot the influences.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#657 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:15 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:

That article is a rehash of the last week of "what's up with KP" topic here. Heck, I can spot the influences.

Was it disclosed in that article that he was anemic? I heard nothing about that before reading this article.
Free Palestine
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#658 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:21 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Was it disclosed in that article that he was anemic? I heard nothing about that before reading this article.

Anemia was kicked around on here lately. It's in the article. I think it came up in the news before - that thing isn't completely sourced from here, just mostly. :D
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#659 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:22 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Anemia was kicked around on here lately. It's in the article. I think it came up in the news before - that thing isn't completely sourced from here, just mostly. :D

:thumbsup:
Free Palestine
Greenie
RealGM

Post#660 » by Greenie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:07 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:

It's a rebuilding year. Frank should have been starting. We stay in a damn circle.

Return to New York Knicks