ImageImageImageImageImage

Time to start trading...

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,266

Re: Time to start trading... 

Post#61 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:49 pm

We should be able to get mid/late first round value for Lee.

3D dudes on reasonable contracts always have value.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,387

Post#62 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:49 pm

Mecca wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Mecca wrote:
I rather have T-Ferg as well, but spacers have value in the league. He got a strap.

meh. i mean we got dotson already. i think he's much better than abrines. i've seen a lot of okc games and abrines has just been straight up trash. he's one of the main reasons their bench sucks cock

He's like a younger Steve Novak. He takes only 5 shots a game and 3.6 of those are 3's. At 39% from 3, he's a valuable 8th-9th man to have on your bench.

he's not even valuable to a contender like OKC though. dude is not that good bro. his defense is cringe worthy. we have dotson who's as good as a shooter (IMO) and plays much better defense. i rather develop him instead of trading for abrines.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,311

Post#63 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:52 pm

Samsun85 wrote:Nobody will give a pick up for a 34 years old Jack. Lee is max. a late 1st round pick worth. Only guy who has real trade value is KOQ. Or Willy...

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]

You take the late first for CLee and run, even if taking back the same amount in salary. IF a year can be shed, all the better. And the main benefit, besides a pick, is the Knicks get worse by trading CLee and that's a good thing, considering this team's upside for now, next year and possibly the season after is still 35 wins. Got to lose while the sun shines.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#64 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:54 pm

DaGawd wrote:
duetta wrote:Sell all the guys who are unlikely to be here 2 years from now - assuming you can get fair value.

If KP were still playing at franchise talent level, I could understand keeping everyone around. But he's regressed significantly since his amazing start - and will need lots of help to eventually become a champion.

This. KP himself even admitted the burden is tiresome to him. We need to pair him with another prospect of equal potential.. this losing is for his own good right now. Take your medicine kp

The Knicks should be resting KP on back to backs at a bare minimum in a "plausible deniability tank". It's established he's fatigued, he played in Eurocup, Knicks can rest him for his "health" and add to the losing potential. Sell KP-Janis on "long term health of KP and the franchise"
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#65 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:54 pm

We actually have trade assets this year for the first time in ages

Thjr even with his contract looks good
Lee should be a steal for any serious team
Koq would be a great trade piece
Willy too
Kanter could be a difference maker for a team

I’m not saying we should or will trade these guys. Only that we have assets for the first time in ages
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#66 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:59 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:We actually have trade assets this year for the first time in ages

Thjr even with his contract looks good
Lee should be a steal for any serious team
Koq would be a great trade piece
Willy too
Kanter could be a difference maker for a team

I’m not saying we should or will trade these guys. Only that we have assets for the first time in ages

Have to agree. Knicks bench went from "trash" to "ok" and these "ok" guys can fetch something. CLee is a starter, but he represented an uptick in talent and his contract is attractive to contenders.

Knicks aren't overflowing with talent, but at least they have enough guys where some kind of deal could happen.

Just about every poster is on the same page: Try to get a pick, don't add salary years, temporarily get worse to improve draft position
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#67 » by nedleeds » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:01 pm

nyk2017 wrote:... and play for a better draft position. Watching these games, I get the feeling that KP would be a great #2 option, THJr/Kanter a 3rd option and Frank #4. That leaves us with a need for a legitimate #1. We could get that through the draft or FA. I think draft would be our best chance. We should trade Lee, KOQ, Lance, Jack for future assets whether it is late 1st round, 2nd rd.

You could argue that by trading Lee, LFT, Jack and KOQ we may win more games. They are tank lords. Find me another player who can play 29 minutes and put up 1,1,1,1,1? Find me a better matador than Jack. Literally can't keep a cinder block in front of him.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#68 » by Mecca » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:05 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Mecca wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:meh. i mean we got dotson already. i think he's much better than abrines. i've seen a lot of okc games and abrines has just been straight up trash. he's one of the main reasons their bench sucks cock

He's like a younger Steve Novak. He takes only 5 shots a game and 3.6 of those are 3's. At 39% from 3, he's a valuable 8th-9th man to have on your bench.

he's not even valuable to a contender like OKC though. dude is not that good bro. his defense is cringe worthy. we have dotson who's as good as a shooter (IMO) and plays much better defense. i rather develop him instead of trading for abrines.

I’m not arguing trading for Abrines, I’m arguing that Abrines is a useful bench piece because he is. 39% from 3 on 3.6 APG is nice. I rather have Dotson as well.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Toranaga
Rookie
And1: 845

Post#69 » by Toranaga » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Welp.

Many NBA executives are anticipating a dearth of activity around this year's trade deadline.

Most teams are more interested in unloading salary than taking on players on long-term financial commitments. While the cap spiked dramatically over the past few seasons, most teams have already compromised their newly found space.

“There are plenty of good players to be had, but the problem is no one wants to take anything back,” said one executive.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/248608/Teams-Reluctant-To-Take-On-Salary-In-Trade-Market
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#70 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Mecca wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Mecca wrote:

I’m not arguing trading for Abrines, I’m arguing that Abrines is a useful bench piece because he is. 39% from 3 on 3.6 APG is nice. I rather have Dotson as well.

bro he's not even useful for a playoff team like okc lol
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#71 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:15 pm

_NYK_ wrote:Welp.

Many NBA executives are anticipating a dearth of activity around this year's trade deadline.

Most teams are more interested in unloading salary than taking on players on long-term financial commitments. While the cap spiked dramatically over the past few seasons, most teams have already compromised their newly found space.

“There are plenty of good players to be had, but the problem is no one wants to take anything back,” said one executive.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/248608/Teams-Reluctant-To-Take-On-Salary-In-Trade-Market

That is exactly where we should come in. We should be that team that takes on salary IF we get compensated for it.

Take back contracts 2 or 3 years, then make our free agency run after Noah expires. We dug ourselves in a hole until he comes off the books anyway.
Mavs
Mecca
RealGM

Post#72 » by Mecca » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:17 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Mecca wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:he's not even valuable to a contender like OKC though. dude is not that good bro. his defense is cringe worthy. we have dotson who's as good as a shooter (IMO) and plays much better defense. i rather develop him instead of trading for abrines.

Except he is. He’s one of the only players on that team that space the court when Roberson/Russy/Adams all play together. That helps dribble penetration and counters zone d.
Brooklyn Nets
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#73 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:26 pm

Mecca wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Except he is. He’s one of the only players on that team that space the court when Roberson/Russy/Adams all play together. That helps dribble penetration and counters zone d.

there's a reason why people say their bench is the worst in the NBA...

and t-ferg just stole his spot in the rotation. a rookie.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#74 » by Mecca » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:43 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Mecca wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:bro he's not even useful for a playoff team like okc lol

Can care less if T-Ferg is a rookie, he’s a good player that deserved to be in the rotation.

Abrines opens the court up for them with Roberson in the game.

Abrines isn’t why they have the worst bench. They don’t have a natural 6th man.
Brooklyn Nets
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#75 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:55 pm

IAmTheBest wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:You're watching a 22 year old KP who is still developing physically and just came back from a deep run in an international tournament.

He's having stamina issues. Everything else from his mentality, work ethic, increasing skill is there.

Not saying we necessarily shouldnt be tanking but to write him off as a 2nd option just like this is sad. It means you are nothing but the caricature of the impatient, short sighted Knick fan that everyone else draws of us.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I think we should be acting as of he's the second option or if you'd rather put it a different way, a beta. And what I mean by that is there's a scenario where KP could remain our leading scorer but not be our leader or main play initiator. And I ain't just talking about a PG, although it could be.

Just like I saw Kyrie Irving have huge scoring nights yet the flow was still dictated by LeBron. I could see a scenario where someone like Doncic averages 18 someday, KP still averages 25 yet you feel like it's Doncics team.

Anyway, I agree it's too early to definitively say what KP is, but at the same time it goes both ways.....I can't say what he is. Cuz right now he's not a definitive alpha either

Us acting like he's a second option/beta is underselling. I agree with you that we should not be overselling him or underselling him.

He has the potential to go both ways. The potential is there, so why pigeonhole him into anything.

I just refer to him as a cornerstone or pillar of a future championship team, meaning he has potential to be the first, second, third option of a championship team in the future.

I do think he could make a great leader though. even though he gets gassed easily he always pushes himself. Anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional. All you need to look at is his defensive effort and impact, which is the hallmark of effort on the court (inb4 someone talks about his rebounds - he's just not that good at boxing out, which is a function of his current skill not effort).

Patrick ewing was a john starks choke away from winning a championship as the alpha of the team, and the fact of the matter is that he's be second banana on every other championship team since Jordan's bulls except the 2004 pistons

Between me and you I'm fine with your answer but it's really about the moves you make ONCE you feel you have your primary option. Thinking we already have KP as that player makes people Maybe draft complimentary players over best player available perhaps. Makes people ok simply surrounding him with old vets like Oquinn and Lee over developing WHG or McDermmott for example because trying to prove to KP that we can hover near .500 is more important than drafting a player who can compete with his status as a top tier option. And if you remember last summer with all his brothers comments, don't think I forgot. Last thing you want is to go looking at everything from a complimentary perspective, he fails us as a star who can carry us and then he has the gall to bail in free agency.

And that's probably the worst case scenario, I'm sure KP will resign but I don't think the Knicks should make every decision under the premise that KP is the alpha male to carry us. I like KP but I'd like some insurance.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#76 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:58 pm

Mecca wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Can care less if T-Ferg is a rookie, he’s a good player that deserved to be in the rotation.

he plays a part in why they have a terrible bench though. their only good players are felton and grant

im just gonna agree to disagree, this is kinda going nowhere lol
Mecca
RealGM

Post#77 » by Mecca » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:02 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Mecca wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:there's a reason why people say their bench is the worst in the NBA...

he plays a part in why they have a terrible bench though. their only good players are felton and grant

im just gonna agree to disagree, this is kinda going nowhere lol

The issue is that though. Felton is their lone shot creator in the 2nd unit. PP is type washed. It’s an old and slow bench. Abrines is a solid 8th or 9th man on an uptempo bench spacing the court. That bench is straight ugly.
Brooklyn Nets
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#78 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:21 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
_NYK_ wrote:Welp.

That is exactly where we should come in. We should be that team that takes on salary IF we get compensated for it.

Take back contracts 2 or 3 years, then make our free agency run after Noah expires. We dug ourselves in a hole until he comes off the books anyway.

The Sixers add an additional pick every year utilizing your line of thinking. Problem is, we don't really have any expiring do we? Maybe Beasley. He's played well enough that maybe a current playoff team with some dead weight might trade for his expiring and its not like he can't give them some fire off the bench. Maybe we get a late first rounder.

Thing is this year picks 25-40 are just about in the same tier so it might not be worth it for either team.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#79 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:26 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

The Sixers add an additional pick every year utilizing your line of thinking. Problem is, we don't really have any expiring do we? Maybe Beasley. He's played well enough that maybe a current playoff team with some dead weight might trade for his expiring and its not like he can't give them some fire off the bench. Maybe we get a late first rounder.

Thing is this year picks 25-40 are just about in the same tier so it might not be worth it for either team.

True, we dont have any big expirings. A few small ones. Beasley, Jack, McDermott, KOQ...Kuz woulda been $3mil expiring. Maybe it would have been good to hang onto him.
Mavs
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#80 » by Greenie » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:18 pm

K P 6 wrote:Phil was definitely with the real youth movement. Perry came on and was with it but look at us now.

Lies.
Phil signs old asses.

Return to New York Knicks