ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Dennis smith was uncomfortable with knicks during his draft workout with knicks per realgm wire tap and chams

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

OT: Dennis smith was uncomfortable with knicks during his draft workout with knicks per realgm wire tap and chams 

Post#1 » by taj2133 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Knicks Attempted To Schedule Last Minute Workout With Dennis Smith Jr.
JAN 15, 2018 12:13 PM

Dennis Smith Jr. was asked to undergo a physical exam by the New York Knicks leading to the draft. Smith declined and the sides called off their scheduled workout.

“The Knicks were forcing me to do a couple things that were already established that I wasn’t going to do,” Smith told Yahoo Sports. “I was uncomfortable with them. I felt comfortable here in Dallas. They did a good job making me feel like I was already a player here. People think that I just dipped out of the Knicks workout because I didn’t want the Knicks to take me, but no.

“It wasn’t over that … but they kept insisting on the physical. I knew it would be a no go.”

One day before the draft, the Knicks asked if Smith would agree to undergo a last-second workout. At that point, Smith and his camp had preferred the Dallas Mavericks.

“The vibe was different in Dallas to me,” Smith told Yahoo Sports. “The Knicks have some good guys on their staff, but the situation with them was funky at the time.”

New York eventually picked Frank Ntilikina ahead of Smith.

SHAMS CHARANIA/YAHOO! SPORTS
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/248611/Knicks-Attempted-To-Schedule-Last-Minute-Workout-With-Dennis-Smith-Jr
Personally dennis smith just needs to shut up what done is done know and get over it. I didn't like the frank pick but i accepted it can't change anything now.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,387

Re: OT: Dennis smith was uncomfortable with knicks during his draft workout with knicks per realgm wire tap and chams 

Post#2 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:02 pm

It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Toranaga
Rookie
And1: 845

Re: OT: Dennis smith was uncomfortable with knicks during his draft workout with knicks per realgm wire tap and chams 

Post#3 » by Toranaga » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:02 pm

Is what it is. He had leverage to not release his medical records or take a physical and the Knicks wanted to see those things before they made the investment. Don't see the issue for either side here. Both were protecting their best interests.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,265

Post#4 » by DOT » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:02 pm

Why is this relevant?

We knew this already
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#5 » by Sark » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:10 pm

So a guy with a knee injury history didn't want his knee inspected, and people are surprised that the Knicks didn't pick him?
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#6 » by King of Canada » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:14 pm

Just imagine the constant headlines about Smith being a "Knicks type" player that plays no D and can't win.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#7 » by reub » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:23 pm

They tried to make him eat calamari. Disgusting!
Jay10
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#8 » by Jay10 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:25 pm

Reason why this article was released:

1. Everyone is home; more traffic to the website
2. Give people something to read as filler until the first game started at 12:30
Kurt Rambis
Senior
And1: 483

Post#9 » by Kurt Rambis » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:31 pm

It would not matter since he is not anything special but probably media will react like Bowie over Jordan because Knicks.
GnarlesOakley
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#10 » by GnarlesOakley » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:44 pm

Kurt Rambis wrote:It would not matter since he is not anything special but probably media will react like Bowie over Jordan because Knicks.

I remember when they acted like Brandon Jennings was the next Magic because the Knicks passed on him.

Maybe we will get Dennis Smith when he's washed up too.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#12 » by Fat » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:52 pm

could of scooped up my boy Mitchell. He”s like a frank/Dennis hybrid which is why I was huge on him. But whatever hopefully frank improves and silences us, it looks like he’ll need a good 2 years.
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#14 » by MP4LIFE » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:12 pm

Why is this dude still talking about the Knicks?

A lot of talk from a rookie who has done jack in the league. His ego must be inflated with LeBron shouting him out.
bkzfinest11
Rookie
And1: 244

Post#15 » by bkzfinest11 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:20 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:Why is this dude still talking about the Knicks?

A lot of talk from a rookie who has done jack in the league. His ego must be inflated with LeBron shouting him out.

Word, If he wanted to be a knick he should have taken the physical. Plus dude is small and gets injured. so w.e.
Huey Freeman
General Manager
And1: 878

Post#16 » by Huey Freeman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:26 pm

We already knew this story. It’s obvious Gaines &?Phil are the only guys that wanted Frank. This also means that Frank will be another draft casualty that won’t be a Knick past his rookie deal. Who was the last Knick draft pick that lasted long enough to be re-signed? S***, KP might not make it. :lol:
Revolution starts in the mind...
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#17 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:37 pm

taj2133 wrote:Knicks Attempted To Schedule Last Minute Workout With Dennis Smith Jr.
JAN 15, 2018 12:13 PM

Dennis Smith Jr. was asked to undergo a physical exam by the New York Knicks leading to the draft. Smith declined and the sides called off their scheduled workout.

“The Knicks were forcing me to do a couple things that were already established that I wasn’t going to do,” Smith told Yahoo Sports. “I was uncomfortable with them. I felt comfortable here in Dallas. They did a good job making me feel like I was already a player here. People think that I just dipped out of the Knicks workout because I didn’t want the Knicks to take me, but no.

“It wasn’t over that … but they kept insisting on the physical. I knew it would be a no go.”

One day before the draft, the Knicks asked if Smith would agree to undergo a last-second workout. At that point, Smith and his camp had preferred the Dallas Mavericks.

“The vibe was different in Dallas to me,” Smith told Yahoo Sports. “The Knicks have some good guys on their staff, but the situation with them was funky at the time.”

New York eventually picked Frank Ntilikina ahead of Smith.

SHAMS CHARANIA/YAHOO! SPORTS
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/248611/Knicks-Attempted-To-Schedule-Last-Minute-Workout-With-Dennis-Smith-Jr
Personally dennis smith just needs to shut up what done is done know and get over it. I didn't like the frank pick but i accepted it can't change anything now.

This to me is a +1 for the Knicks doing the right thing. Last time we rushed in to a player without knowing the medical stuff.. Amare happened. Way to be Dennis.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,966

Post#18 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:38 pm

Huey Freeman wrote:We already knew this story. It’s obvious Gaines &?Phil are the only guys that wanted Frank. This also means that Frank will be another draft casualty that won’t be a Knick past his rookie deal. Who was the last Knick draft pick that lasted long enough to be re-signed? S***, KP might not make it. :lol:

Cuban had to be pissed when we drafted Frank, he had the biggest and most public crush on Frank. It was obvious that Frank and Dennis were going to be the picks at eight and nine, it was just a matter of which way. Here's a live look inside the war room on draft night, see how mad Mark was...

In all seriousness, the fact that people keep bringing up Smith and the Knicks "Passing" on him is just flat out annoying at this point.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Juggynaut
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,815

Post#20 » by Juggynaut » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:47 pm

We whiffed on Donovan Mitchell, not DSJ. Every1 1 - 11 except the Celtics and Bulls did as well.

Return to New York Knicks