ImageImageImageImageImage

Giants expected to hire Pat Shurmur as new coach

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Re: Giants expected to hire Pat Shurmur as new coach 

Post#81 » by IllmaticHandler » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:30 pm

BeagleBoss wrote:
https://nypost.com/2018/01/18/vikings-players-cant-say-enough-good-things-about-pat-shurmur/

“He’s just really good about getting guys into situations that they’re good at and mixing things around and making it easy on us as players to just go out and play football,’’ Vikings receiver Adam Thielen told The Post on Wednesday. “He likes to keep things simple and not a lot of thinking for us so we can just go out and play fast.’’

Vikings rookie center Pat Elflein concurred with Thielen’s assessment.

“He definitely tries to keep it simple,’’ Elflein told The Post. “I can attest to that firsthand being a center and having to understand the concepts and which direction he wants to go with the plays he’s calling. Yeah, he definitely makes the offense player-friendly. He runs a clean, tight ship.’’

“He’s calm, but he’s extremely competitive, which you want in a coach,’’ Thielen said. “He does show excitement. He has the ability to get us pumped up. He is a calmer person, but what I think impresses people about him is his competitiveness and how badly he wants it. You feed off of that as a player.

“You guys [media] may see him as being calm and collected, but that’s just him keeping his composure. He’s definitely got some fire to him and he lets go when he needs to let it out. I love him as a coach.’’

Backup tight end Blake Bell called Shurmur “one of those guys that guys definitely listen to.’’

How will this all translate as a head coach?

“He’ll do a good job,’’ Thielen said. “As an offensive coordinator, you have to kind of be the head coach of your offense. You’re doing a lot of overseeing and making sure everybody’s on the right page. He’s done a great job of rolling with the punches and not getting too worked up about everything and just kind of letting us play football.

“Another thing that coach Shurmur does well is he’s not stubborn in his ways. He’s going to learn from other people. He’s constantly trying to evolve as a play-caller and as a coach, and that’s what you need to be a really good coach in this league. You can’t just be set in your own ways.

Zimmer on Wednesday said, “I think if he gets the opportunity, he’ll be successful. I was able to compete against Pat a few times when he was a head coach in Cleveland. I always thought his schemes did a good job. He’s a smart guy, good relationship with the players. He’s done an outstanding job this year, and I do believe he’s earned the right [to be a head coach].”

More credible to hear comments from actual players than some **** report with an agenda.

Greenbay players and coach praised Mcadoo as well. Don't mean schit. OC and Headcoaching aint the same. Dude has to prove it. We just went down this road...Talk is cheap.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#82 » by IllmaticHandler » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:33 pm

Giants Players Praised Spags when he got Hired by the Rams. LOL After Mc...I am skeptical of any coach.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#83 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:06 pm

The Giants will definitely pick a QB in the first round and use every subsequent round for an O-line that was DREADFUL last season. Is Patty the man? Not sure. Giants seem to want a "friendlier" face that will approach a more open minded locker room. Fine. I just want every one to know, Bill Bellichek is a mean SOB and you know what, no one cares.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,579

Post#84 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:06 pm

shurmur just won assistant of the year award...doesn't mean he will be a great coach but still impressive.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
captvict
Sixth Man
And1: 512

Post#85 » by captvict » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:48 am

Yeah I’m starting to think that he will go quarterback as well

Start fresh with his own players. Just hope it’s Darnold or Lamar Jackson. Rosen will create too much drama with his mouth
el13adnino
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,855

Post#87 » by el13adnino » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:58 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:What about that defense thoe...

Top 3 defense if you ask me
:crazy:
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#88 » by Mecca » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:59 pm

mpharris36 wrote:shurmur just won assistant of the year award...doesn't mean he will be a great coach but still impressive.

Todd Bowles won that award as well. Just saying.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#89 » by mpharris36 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:24 pm

Mecca wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:shurmur just won assistant of the year award...doesn't mean he will be a great coach but still impressive.

Todd Bowles won that award as well. Just saying.

correct, being a good assistant doesn't always mean you will be a great coach.

Guys like Norv Turner or Wade Phillips are great assistance that were horrible coaches. We will just have to wait and see I suppose.

I guess I would still rather have him assistant coach of the year then not.

ROSTER

IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#90 » by IllmaticHandler » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:36 pm

this cat is the coach we just have to see if its a good choice. I have no choice but to root for him...i don't want spags back thoe but he prob stays since they friends
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#91 » by mpharris36 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:42 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:this cat is the coach we just have to see if its a good choice. I have no choice but to root for him...i don't want spags back thoe but he prob stays since they friends

yeah I was hoping for a house cleaning as well. I don't hate spags but it we have been too inconsistent with him on that end. But I'm indifferent because 2 years ago we had like the best defense in the league with Spags...and we also one a superbowl with him.

But like any defense coach you are only good as your front 4...if you can get pressure without blitzing it makes like so much easier.

And like you said Spags hired Shurmur, so Shurmur will probably do him a solid and hire him since he already knows the players and organization and he can focus on the offense.

ROSTER

IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#92 » by IllmaticHandler » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:05 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:this cat is the coach we just have to see if its a good choice. I have no choice but to root for him...i don't want spags back thoe but he prob stays since they friends

yeah I was hoping for a house cleaning as well. I don't hate spags but it we have been too inconsistent with him on that end. But I'm indifferent because 2 years ago we had like the best defense in the league with Spags...and we also one a superbowl with him.

But like any defense coach you are only good as your front 4...if you can get pressure without blitzing it makes like so much easier.

And like you said Spags hired Shurmur, so Shurmur will probably do him a solid and hire him since he already knows the players and organization and he can focus on the offense.

I don't like coaches who need all-world talent to be successful. In that regards, I can respect Shurmur cause he can scheme without talent. Spags has not shown he can scheme without talent...so that means he is not as creative and good as some think he is. I mean BB always had no name players on defense playing at top levels. That's the **** I like, cause once you have the talent, now it goes next level for real.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#93 » by mpharris36 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:07 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

I don't like coaches who need all-world talent to be successful. In that regards, I can respect Shurmur cause he can scheme without talent. Spags has not shown he can scheme without talent...so that means he is not as creative and good as some think he is. I mean BB always had no name players on defense playing at top levels. That's the **** I like, cause once you have the talent, now it goes next level for real.

well yes BB is a genius...spags isn't he's just respectable. Shurmur is coming so late in the game its probably a downside about having the vikings not eliminated yet. When has he had time to put together a staff? Probably just have to go with spags.

But I agree if I had a choice I would go in another direction...I just don't know who.

ROSTER

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#94 » by mpharris36 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:42 pm

in other news related to the jets.... :lol:

Read on Twitter

ROSTER

Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#95 » by Marty McFly » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:26 pm

mpharris36 wrote:in other news related to the jets.... :lol:

Read on Twitter

Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#96 » by mpharris36 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:37 pm

Read on Twitter

i like it

ROSTER

IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#97 » by IllmaticHandler » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:39 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

i like it

whats the last couple good defenses he has?
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#98 » by mpharris36 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:42 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

i like it

he was broncos defensive coordinator from 2012-2014

his yards ranks were 2, 19, and 3....

broncos were 38-10 during that stretch. Then he got hired for the raiders job in 2015

Read on Twitter

ROSTER

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#99 » by mpharris36 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:44 pm

he's been a DC for 4 years

and had a top 5 defense in 3 of the 4 years if you add in his first year as DC with the carolina panthers in 2002

ROSTER

IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#100 » by IllmaticHandler » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:51 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

i like it

he was broncos defensive coordinator from 2012-2014

his yards ranks were 2, 19, and 3....

broncos were 38-10 during that stretch. Then he got hired for the raiders job in 2015

Read on Twitter

totally forgot he was the broncos coordinator.

Return to New York Knicks