ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Rap/Hip Hop Thread V

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,682

Re: Official Rap/Hip Hop Thread V 

Post#1481 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:59 am

E-Balla wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

crazy

this is my favorite tho

He told us he was gonna write a whole album bout the plugs he met. :rofl:

Best part of the tape is he got a few of the only dudes that can out rap him.

Line of the album is "I got a lamb, and a stick, like I'm fresh out the Bible".

came strictly to discuss the butcher coming, n--

18 wheeler too fire. black thought blacked out on that first song too.

and that line = dead
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#1482 » by E-Balla » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:51 pm

This Bandana leak is treating me right. 10/10 album, slightly worse than Pinata and like 15 minutes shorter but no fat on the tape. Situations is crazy, Cataracts is crazy, I can keep going but Gibbs did it again. He needs to only do albums with Madlib going forward.

Strong features out of Black Thought and Yasiin Bey too.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Post#1483 » by Phish Tank » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:13 am

E-Balla wrote:This Bandana leak is treating me right. 10/10 album, slightly worse than Pinata and like 15 minutes shorter but no fat on the tape. Situations is crazy, Cataracts is crazy, I can keep going but Gibbs did it again. He needs to only do albums with Madlib going forward.

this in my rotation. I tried to find this thread just to post the exact same thing.

And apparently "Hip Hop" was involved in the A&R.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1484 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:09 am

Phish Tank wrote:
E-Balla wrote:This Bandana leak is treating me right. 10/10 album, slightly worse than Pinata and like 15 minutes shorter but no fat on the tape. Situations is crazy, Cataracts is crazy, I can keep going but Gibbs did it again. He needs to only do albums with Madlib going forward.

this in my rotation. I tried to find this thread just to post the exact same thing.

i'mma check it out. i love gibbs and madlib, so i was shocked that i didn't feel "bandana" when the single came out. i'll give the whole project a proper listen tho.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#1485 » by E-Balla » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:11 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:

i'mma check it out. i love gibbs and madlib, so i was shocked that i didn't feel "bandana" when the single came out. i'll give the whole project a proper listen tho.

The single Bandana isn't on the album and would've been by far the worst song on the album if it was.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#1486 » by Mecca » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:15 pm

Got it as MadGibbs, Benny, Steve Lacy, Goldlink as my fav projects this year in that order. New Flygod album next week to jump on my top 5.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#1487 » by Fury » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:19 pm

Listened to Benny, and he’s aight but Gibbs’s album is waaaay better imo.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#1488 » by E-Balla » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:49 pm

I'd give Gibbs the edge over Benny listening more just because he had way more music but I'd rank the top projects of the year (rap/hip-hop only because my list would maybe have 1 rap album on it otherwise):

1. Bandana
2. The Plugs I Met
3. Slimerre
4. Diaspora
5. The WIZRD

HMs to Crash Talk (it wasn't up to his standards with a lot of trash songs as filler but Tales, Numb Numb Juice, CrasH, Dangerous, Attention, and Black Folk are better than the best songs many others have ever made), Everything's For Sale (the best song being only 2 minutes long kinda made it fall on the list), Wap Konn Joj! (Mach needs to stop with these 20 minute tapes!), and Rap Or Go To The League (can we talk about how strong 2 Chainz's discography is? Dude has to be the most slept on rapper ever he's got so many hits and his projects are always good but not great outside of Freebase).
Mecca
RealGM

Post#1489 » by Mecca » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:56 pm

E-Balla wrote:I'd give Gibbs the edge over Benny listening more just because he had way more music but I'd rank the top projects of the year (rap/hip-hop only because my list would maybe have 1 rap album on it otherwise):

1. Bandana
2. The Plugs I Met
3. Slimerre
4. Diaspora
5. The WIZRD

HMs to Crash Talk (it wasn't up to his standards with a lot of trash songs as filler but Tales, Numb Numb Juice, CrasH, Dangerous, Attention, and Black Folk are better than the best songs many others have ever made), Everything's For Sale (the best song being only 2 minutes long kinda made it fall on the list), Wap Konn Joj! (Mach needs to stop with these 20 minute tapes!), and Rap Or Go To The League (can we talk about how strong 2 Chainz's discography is? Dude has to be the most slept on rapper ever he's got so many hits and his projects are always good but not great outside of Freebase).

I thought Q’s album stunk tbh.
Brooklyn Nets
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#1490 » by E-Balla » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:12 pm

Mecca wrote:
E-Balla wrote:I'd give Gibbs the edge over Benny listening more just because he had way more music but I'd rank the top projects of the year (rap/hip-hop only because my list would maybe have 1 rap album on it otherwise):

1. Bandana
2. The Plugs I Met
3. Slimerre
4. Diaspora
5. The WIZRD

It's up and down. All the songs other than the ones I named just aren't good but those songs are way better than most people's best. Like you gonna tell me this ain't better than most people's best song (it ain't even top 3 on the album IMO either)?

Maybe it's a bad project as a whole with all those skips, but more than a few of his songs have been in rotation nonstop since they came out.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Post#1491 » by Phish Tank » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:33 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Mecca wrote:

1. Bandana
2. The Plugs I Met
3. Slimerre
4. Diaspora
5. The WIZRD

It's up and down. All the songs other than the ones I named just aren't good but those songs are way better than most people's best. Like you gonna tell me this ain't better than most people's best song (it ain't even top 3 on the album IMO either)?

Maybe it's a bad project as a whole with all those skips, but more than a few of his songs have been in rotation nonstop since they came out.

I've always thought the process behind Q's album was largely impacted by Mac's death. That definitely impacted the trajectory of the album in my eyes. Made him change the way he thought about life as a whole.

I thought the album was alright. Def not better than Blank Face. But there's a misconception that Q has gone "commercial" which I don't think is true. TDE artists change their sound all the time and have no label pressure to conform.

As for other albums, I thought the YG album wasn't bad. Something about the album just made it a fun listen (outside of Loko of course). SP The Goat was another solid one for me. Paak, Benny The Butcher too.

The Mustard album is in my rotation because I think the production is solid.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,436

Post#1492 » by j4remi » Tue Jul 2, 2019 7:07 pm

After Benny and Freddie, plus seeing this...

I finally gave in and got a Spotify Premium account. Honestly, I just wanna see this thread on the main page so yall can put me on new music since I've been slacking.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,075

Post#1493 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:13 am

Not a huge fan of Bandana, I don't think it's as good as we convince ourselves, but maybe that's just me. I just find the production very inconsistent and Gibbs - while dope - is not on that upper tier, so I can't give it a 10. I always come away unimpressed by projects produced entirely by Madlib, aside from the occasional bangers. I don't know, f it that's how I feel.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,608

Post#1494 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Jul 5, 2019 3:19 pm

It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1495 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jul 5, 2019 3:51 pm

gonna listen to that flygod on my way home from work. i'm rooting for it because i want to love everything griselda. but i hate his shrill voice. if it's not as piercing all the way through, i might just like it. i really appreciate west as an icon and spiritual leader for griselda. and i like his little hooks and guest spots. but i am terrified of an entire project of that voice.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1496 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jul 5, 2019 3:52 pm

j4remi wrote:After Benny and Freddie, plus seeing this...

I finally gave in and got a Spotify Premium account. Honestly, I just wanna see this thread on the main page so yall can put me on new music since I've been slacking.

the bar is really high. you could argue the lost tapes is nas' best album after illmatic.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1497 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jul 5, 2019 3:53 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:

The single Bandana isn't on the album and would've been by far the worst song on the album if it was.

balla. you were right. the bandana song doesn't even belong on bandana. this record is fire. gibbs is in the zone all the way through. and he and madlib make a much better pairing than i expected. i'm thinking they need to just keep that going.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#1498 » by Mecca » Fri Jul 5, 2019 4:20 pm

Brooklyn Nets
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#1499 » by E-Balla » Fri Jul 5, 2019 4:56 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

balla. you were right. the bandana song doesn't even belong on bandana. this record is fire. gibbs is in the zone all the way through. and he and madlib make a much better pairing than i expected. i'm thinking they need to just keep that going.

You never heard Pinata??????

That's the mixtape that made me a Gibbs fan.

Gibbs and Madlib are already a top 5 producer/emcee pairing in the game off 2 projects.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#1500 » by E-Balla » Fri Jul 5, 2019 4:57 pm

Mecca wrote:The new king of New York

FLYGOD BACK

https://music.apple.com/us/album/bautista/1471016947?i=1471016950

Imma be real it was ight. Disappointing a bit. I was feeling the Dreamville album more. Both are still great projects though.

Return to New York Knicks