ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Rap/Hip Hop Thread V

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,386

Re: Official Rap/Hip Hop Thread V 

Post#1861 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue May 10, 2022 9:12 pm

Fab bodied this. He needs to drop a project…
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#1862 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue May 10, 2022 9:22 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:I'm going to preface this with I really don't hate Kendrick even though this will come off as that...I can appreciate his skill and his lyrical ability without necessary liking it.

My take with Kendrick is that since Section 80/GKMC his stuff just hasn't been for me... I've just always felt he tried too hard to be the voice for of the "deep perspective" rap fans and his albums became too abstract for me to really care what he has to say. I feel like he found the balance best on GKMC between listenability and providing an interesting perspective on his upbringing in Compton and how society shaped that. I'm also a sucker for a "coming of age" tale. Maybe that makes me a "bad rap fan" but hey I can't help what I like and don't like to listen too :dontknow: I also don't think he's really evolved or diversified his flow enough for me. Most of his flow is that fast machine gun style and I just get tired of it after a while.

As far as the best rapper doing it convo I don't think Kendrick can lay claim to that after taking the hiatus he did. Others will disagree, I get it, but it's always pissed me off when rappers a la Jay Electronica don't drop music and then come in and start saying nobody can eff with them on the mic... Like you're not even doing the bare minimum of you know putting music out there to be considered the best :lol:

I'm not going to start claiming who is better than Kendrick because that convo always becomes dumb and stupid and people yelling at each other lol. But just felt like I needed to get the Kendrick thoughts off my chest.

Don't kill me :lol:

I feel you the same way. I haven’t liked much of his stuff since Good kid mad city too. Section 80 is what got me as a big fan of his. Wish he went back to his roots.

Side note: i wish he dropped this. Can’t believe this was 10 years ago
;t=123s
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,077

Post#1863 » by TerrenceClarke » Tue May 10, 2022 9:46 pm

That Kendrick joint was mad boring. Played that **** once and left it alone. He just like Cole. Talented but boring.

Compton Kendrick >>>>> Emo Kendrick
Memphis Grizzlies AKA Wing Stop
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,496

Post#1864 » by j4remi » Tue May 10, 2022 10:59 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:I'm going to preface this with I really don't hate Kendrick even though this will come off as that...I can appreciate his skill and his lyrical ability without necessary liking it.

My take with Kendrick is that since Section 80/GKMC his stuff just hasn't been for me... I've just always felt he tried too hard to be the voice for of the "deep perspective" rap fans and his albums became too abstract for me to really care what he has to say. I feel like he found the balance best on GKMC between listenability and providing an interesting perspective on his upbringing in Compton and how society shaped that. I'm also a sucker for a "coming of age" tale. Maybe that makes me a "bad rap fan" but hey I can't help what I like and don't like to listen too :dontknow: I also don't think he's really evolved or diversified his flow enough for me. Most of his flow is that fast machine gun style and I just get tired of it after a while.

As far as the best rapper doing it convo I don't think Kendrick can lay claim to that after taking the hiatus he did. Others will disagree, I get it, but it's always pissed me off when rappers a la Jay Electronica don't drop music and then come in and start saying nobody can eff with them on the mic... Like you're not even doing the bare minimum of you know putting music out there to be considered the best :lol:

I'm not going to start claiming who is better than Kendrick because that convo always becomes dumb and stupid and people yelling at each other lol. But just felt like I needed to get the Kendrick thoughts off my chest.

Don't kill me :lol:

I'm not talking about personal opinions so much as the consensus among the industry (awards), sells (topped the charts with his last three albums), and among peers (recognized by other industry rappers as GOAT-tier). I suppose if you discount his work on the Black Panther soundtrack and features, you could say he doesn't have the output but a Jay Electronica comparison is a reach IMO. Same with claiming he doesn't have a diverse flow. Disliking the music is one thing, but I feel like that's not an accurate critique but no biggie.

I understand someone claiming he's not the best rapper out, but who you putting above him for the past decade of output or so? Five albums including two that are broadly seen as classics, 4 best-selling albums, and even institutional recognition like grammies and a Library of Congress selection. There's busier rappers, some with multiple projects I really like, but I ain't putting them in the convo with Kendrick when it comes to accomplishments, success, and quality of output.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#1865 » by WargamesX » Wed May 11, 2022 2:34 am

3toheadmelo wrote:Fab bodied this. He needs to drop a project…

It might be me, but there is this trend I’ve seen with all my favorite rappers and I don’t know if it’s because we’re all getting older, or we’re in one of those phases where hip hop isn’t suppose to be “fun”, but it looks like they all just aren’t enjoying being rappers anymore. You hear it in their songs and dammit I can see it in this video. Even the video girls aren’t having a good time.

They aren’t competing or pushing the limits, to be the best :king: they are just like, yeah this is what you want right? :no: it’s not just these three either it’s a vibe.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#1866 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed May 11, 2022 4:43 pm

WargamesX wrote:

It might be me, but there is this trend I’ve seen with all my favorite rappers and I don’t know if it’s because we’re all getting older, or we’re in one of those phases where hip hop isn’t suppose to be “fun”, but it looks like they all just aren’t enjoying being rappers anymore. You hear it in their songs and dammit I can see it in this video. Even the video girls aren’t having a good time.

They aren’t competing or pushing the limits, to be the best :king: they are just like, yeah this is what you want right? :no: it’s not just these three either it’s a vibe.

I think it’s just you :lol:
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#1867 » by WargamesX » Wed May 11, 2022 7:04 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
WargamesX wrote:

I ain’t gonna hold you, I could be projecting, but I don’t think it’s me. A lot of middle age rapper feel like they going through the motions on their last few tapes. Only rapper I heard lately that seemed inspired was Nas.
TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach

Post#1868 » by TerrenceClarke » Wed May 11, 2022 9:44 pm

WargamesX wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
WargamesX wrote:

I ain’t gonna hold you, I could be projecting, but I don’t think it’s me. A lot of middle age rapper feel like they going through the motions on their last few tapes. Only rapper I heard lately that seemed inspired was Nas.

I wouldn’t put fab in that catergory cause he has a high skill set like Nas, so he will be ok. But dudes like Maino and Jim yes. At this point they just putting out **** just to put out and it becomes hit or miss and mostly miss.This whole lobby boyz project was dumb.

Jim was good on the harry fraud project. You can tell he was motivated on that one.
TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach

Post#1869 » by TerrenceClarke » Wed May 11, 2022 9:56 pm

To much fluff being posted with Kendrick and Jim.

Let’s put some real bars in here.

3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#1870 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu May 12, 2022 3:09 am

TerrenceClarke wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:I think it’s just you :lol:

I wouldn’t put fab in that catergory cause he has a high skill set like Nas, so he will be ok. But dudes like Maino and Jim yes. At this point they just putting out **** just to put out and it becomes hit or miss and mostly miss.This whole lobby boyz project was dumb.

Jim was good on the harry fraud project. You can tell he was motivated on that one.

Yeah Fab still got it. He’s in my top 5 personally…

I’m feening for him to drop a new project. I been waiting for this to drop for months now
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,902

Post#1871 » by DaGawd » Thu May 12, 2022 2:51 pm

Thugga and Gunna getting caught up is crazy to me. Really thought these brothers was smarter than that smh
BaF
Washington Wizards
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#1872 » by EricAnderson » Fri May 13, 2022 2:06 pm

If it makes any sense I’ve always liked Kendricks music more then I liked him as a MC.

Don’t get me wrong he’s extremely talented I just think sometimes he gets a little too pretentious and cute with his rhyming

I’m not a huge fan of this album. There are some cool tracks but to me he tried way too hard to be different on this one I don’t need hiphop music to try to reinvent the wheel just put out dope music.

This album is for the same pretentious people who labeled Donda 2 a classic so they can tell you how much they know music more then you do on a deeper level.

Nas dropped 2 great albums whithin 4 months but didn’t get nearly the hype because he doesnt play the industry politics game with the Peter Rosenberg’s and the like who will call your album classic before it’s even released if you kiss their ass
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#1873 » by DowNY » Fri May 13, 2022 2:39 pm

We cry together
TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach

Post#1874 » by TerrenceClarke » Fri May 13, 2022 3:32 pm

Album is super weak. It’s barley a hip hop album and is more experimental than anything. This is like the New version of Lauryn Hill Album.

Its also hardly any drums on this album. Smh lol.

Cry together my favorite

And the mother I sober song is the only songs I could listen.

There will be people acting like this the greatest thing made in years…..

Kendrick was out pacing Nas in making Albums I. The 2010s, now Nas is out pacing Kendrick. Embrassing from and MC perspective if you ask me.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#1875 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri May 13, 2022 5:48 pm

TerrenceClarke wrote:Album is super weak. It’s barley a hip hop album and is more experimental than anything. This is like the New version of Lauryn Hill Album.

Cry together my favorite

Kendrick was out pacing Nas in making Albums I. The 2010s, now Nas is out pacing Kendrick. Embrassing from and MC perspective if you ask me.

Read on Twitter
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#1876 » by WargamesX » Fri May 13, 2022 7:09 pm

TerrenceClarke wrote:Album is super weak. It’s barley a hip hop album and is more experimental than anything. This is like the New version of Lauryn Hill Album.

Cry together my favorite

This was the exact thing I am talking about, but Kendrick doing this at his age is embarrassing. No reason to be rapping semi retired yet. Ghost sounded like he had some fire in the tank on his verse and the put him on when the purple hearts beat was basically silent….
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,284

Post#1877 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Fri May 13, 2022 8:30 pm

Album is dope, breath of fresh air compared to all the other **** dropping.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,509

Post#1878 » by Fat Kat » Fri May 13, 2022 8:38 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Album is dope, breath of fresh air compared to all the other **** dropping.

Yep. It’s a pretty good album on first listen
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,496

Post#1879 » by j4remi » Fri May 13, 2022 9:09 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Album is dope, breath of fresh air compared to all the other **** dropping.

Yep. It’s a pretty good album on first listen

Yep. It def isn't for everyone. I get that. But I've given a lot of albums this year one spin and never again. This ain't one of those. I'll run it back a few times. Push and Earthgang are about the only two LP's I actually go back through so far this year, so that's a step.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,916

Post#1880 » by SelbyCobra » Fri May 13, 2022 9:10 pm

I haven't had time for it yet, but just wanted to say I've really appreciated the dialog in here - makes me even more curious to listen now and see what's up.

Return to New York Knicks