ImageImageImageImageImage

College Basketball/Draft Thread (4)

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Who is the next piece

Marvin Bagley
13%
Luka Doncic
38%
DeAndre Ayton
4%
Mikal Bridges
18%
Mo Bamba
4%
Michael Porter Jr
3%
Trae Young
5%
Jaren Jackson Jr
6%
Kevin Knox
6%
Other
4%

Total votes: 109

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

College Basketball/Draft Thread (4) 

Post#1 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:03 pm

Continuation from 3 - viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1646621
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Re: College Basketball/Draft Thread (4) 

Post#2 » by magnumt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:09 pm

Read on Twitter

:usa:

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,602

Post#3 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:09 pm

no troy brown or carter..
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,950

Post#4 » by Capn'O » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:14 pm

I voted for Lula.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#5 » by camillepd » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:15 pm

Don't be surprised if we do wind up with Troy Brown, jr. He is the youngest player coming out of the draft.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#6 » by HEZI » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:15 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:no troy brown or carter..

DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#7 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:20 pm

HEZI wrote:

It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#8 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:23 pm

KT how u got kevin knox turtle lookin ass on the poll smh
HEZI
RealGM

Post#9 » by HEZI » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:24 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
HEZI wrote:

DENVER NUGGETS
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#10 » by magnumt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:30 pm

Just to clarify, my vote for Trae Young is assuming the Top 3-4 guys are gone. Especially my boy Doncic. :(

I want a passer or a Perimeter scorer.

magnumt6
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#11 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:31 pm

magnumt wrote:
Read on Twitter

To play devils advocate you can also show this. His last 6 games.

39% shooting, 7 turnovers
41% shooting, 6 turnovers
36% shooting, 8 turnovers
30% shooting, 4 turnovers
55% shooting, 9 turnovers
38% shooting, 12 turnovers

I know FG% isnt the end all be all stat when it comes to shooting, but that is still a ton of empty wasted possessions from him over the last 6 games.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#12 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:41 pm

HEZI wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
HEZI wrote:

magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by magnumt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:52 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
magnumt wrote:
Read on Twitter

I know FG% isnt the end all be all stat when it comes to shooting, but that is still a ton of empty wasted possessions from him over the last 6 games.

To be fair:

Steph Curry (3rd Year)
    28.6 PPG
    5.6 APG
    3.7 TOPG
    2.5 SPG
    4.4 RPG
    39% 3PT
    52% FG%

Trae Young (1st Year)
    29.5 PPG
    9.8 APG :o
    5.2 TOPG
    2.0 SPG
    4.1 RPG
    39.5% 3PT :nod:
    52% FG%

:thumbsup: :D

Does he have a lot of TOs? Yes. But it's College, and the passer gets the blame for inexperienced guys fumbling the ball. You failed to show his APG or his PPG during the timespan (to play Devil's Advocate, also GENERATED offense), which btw is.not accurate because of it's small sample size.

We can pick any stretch of games to nitpick and show the good and bad of Trae's game. If he didn't have flaws he'd be a no argument clear cut #1 Pick. ;)

magnumt6
HEZI
RealGM

Post#14 » by HEZI » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:04 pm

Oklahoma ranks

-3rd in the country in possessions per game
-2nd in the country in PPG
-14th in the country in assists per game
-8th in the country in 3 pointers made per game
-21st in the country in 3 pointers attempted per game

Trae Young having a usage rate of 39% (which would be less than James Harden's usage rate with the Rockets last year and this year)

Racking up turnovers when your team relies on you to basically do everything on offense is really not that bad. Harden averaged 11 assists with 6 turnovers a game last year. It kinda comes with the territory when you play at a fast pace and use that many possessions as part of your offensive attack. At the end of the day he's still shooting 45% from the floor, 39% from 3 (10 attempts a game) 10 assists and 5 turnovers and has his team looking good. Plus he adds entertainment value so that's a bonus for me.
DENVER NUGGETS
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:06 pm

magnumt wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
magnumt wrote:
Read on Twitter

To be fair:

Steph Curry (3rd Year)
    28.6 PPG
    5.6 APG
    3.7 TOPG
    2.5 SPG
    4.4 RPG
    39% 3PT
    52% FG%

Trae Young (1st Year)
    29.5 PPG
    5.2 TOPG
    2.0 SPG
    4.1 RPG
    52% FG%

Does he have a lot of TOs? Yes. But it's College, and the passer gets the blame for inexperienced guys fumbling the ball. You failed to show his APG or his PPG during the timespan (to play Devil's Advocate, also GENERATED offense), which btw is.not accurate because of it's small sample size.

We can pick any stretch of games to nitpick and show the good and bad of Trae's game. If he didn't have flaws he'd be a no argument clear cut #1 Pick. ;)

In the 6 games I showed (his conference games) hes averaging 8.7 assists to 7.7 turnovers. He is also shooting 44% on 2pt shots and shooting just 50% at the rim so far on the year. Im not denying the impact he has had on the college level, Im just questioning what about his game is going to translate to the NBA level. His FG% has taken a really big hit once conference play began and he began turning it over a lot more once conference play began. This isnt too surprising because the average opponent he is facing is a much higher level than the average opponent he was facing out of conference.

When it comes to the Curry comparison, I think youre making a pretty big leap in faith because Curry's game was able to translate to the NBA because he is one of the greatest shooters of all time, has an elite handle and is able to score very efficiently at the rim. Im not willing to bet Young is going to be one of the greatest shooters of all time, I do like his handle though and I think hes going to really struggle finishing at the rim against NBA defenders.

To be fair, I wasnt the highest on Curry coming out either. I wouldve said the same thing, I wouldve questioned his game translating and a lot of his potential would be based on how elite his shooting would be. He just happened to end up being one of the best shooters of all time so it worked out for him, I think hes the exception to the rule. Plus again I though Curry was the better finisher in college, didnt turn it over as much and I did like his form on his jumper better than Young's.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by magnumt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:07 pm

HEZI wrote:Oklahoma ranks

Trae Young having a usage rate of 39% (which would be less than James Harden's usage rate with the Rockets last year and this year)

Racking up turnovers when your team relies on you to basically do everything on offense is really not that bad. Harden averaged 11 assists with 6 turnovers a game last year. It kinda comes with the territory when you play at a fast pace and use that many possessions as part of your offensive attack. At the end of the day he's still shooting 45% from the floor, 39% from 3 (10 attempts a game) 10 assists and 5 turnovers and has his team looking good. Plus he adds entertainment value so that's a bonus for me.

Shh SMACK, you're making too much sense for these guys! :D

I'll be SUPER pissed to see Trae end up in Philly (via Lakers), because he's EXACTLY the type of PG they and Emblid need. A shooter who can pass. :(

magnumt6
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:08 pm

I get the high turnovers is definitely a product of the very high USG%. It would be one thing if he had like a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio in conference play but he almost has a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio in conference play (8.7 vs 7.7) which is really bad.
HEZI
RealGM

Post#18 » by HEZI » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:13 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

I get the high turnovers is definitely a product of the very high USG%. It would be one thing if he had like a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio in conference play but he almost has a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio in conference play (8.7 vs 7.7) which is really bad.

Can you count how many blown assists he's had over those games? In the TCU game alone there were about 7 blown dunks and layups and I'm not even exaggerating. You can watch the replays for yourself and count them. Wide open layups and dunks and his guys were missing them. That's a TON of assists he didn't get credited for because his guys couldn't finish simple plays.
DENVER NUGGETS
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by magnumt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:15 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
magnumt wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

To be fair:

Steph Curry (3rd Year)
    28.6 PPG
    5.6 APG
    3.7 TOPG
    2.5 SPG
    4.4 RPG
    39% 3PT
    52% FG%

Trae Young (1st Year)
    29.5 PPG
    5.2 TOPG
    2.0 SPG
    4.1 RPG
    52% FG%

In the 6 games I showed (his conference games) hes averaging 8.7 assists to 7.7 turnovers. He is also shooting 44% on 2pt shots and shooting just 50% at the rim so far on the year. Im not denying the impact he has had on the college level, Im just questioning what about his game is going to translate to the NBA level. His FG% has taken a really big hit once conference play began and he began turning it over a lot more once conference play began. This isnt too surprising because the average opponent he is facing is a much higher level than the average opponent he was facing out of conference.

When it comes to the Curry comparison, I think youre making a pretty big leap in faith because Curry's game was able to translate to the NBA because he is one of the greatest shooters of all time, has an elite handle and is able to score very efficiently at the rim. Im not willing to bet Young is going to be one of the greatest shooters of all time, I do like his handle though and I think hes going to really struggle finishing at the rim against NBA defenders.

To be fair, I wasnt the highest on Curry coming out either. I wouldve said the same thing, I wouldve questioned his game translating and a lot of his potential would be based on how elite his shooting would be. He just happened to end up being one of the best shooters of all time so it worked out for him, I think hes the exception to the rule. Plus again I though Curry was the better finisher in college, didnt turn it over as much and I did like his form on his jumper better than Young's.

Uhh, no.

You're using Revisionist Hostory here.

The consensus the year before and the year Curry was Drafted was that he WOULDN'T translate. Hence why he was picked 7th (one slot before us :banghead: ), the same coincidental range (5th-9th) as Trae Young currently. ;)

That he was A) too skinny, B) TO prone, and C) a chucker who's shot WOULDN'T translate to the NBA because of his aforementioned body frame. He'd get eaten alive by bigger Wings.

...Gee, where have I heard that before?! :reporter: :laugh:

magnumt6
HEZI
RealGM

Post#20 » by HEZI » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:19 pm

magnumt wrote:

Shh SMACK, you're making too much sense for these guys! :D

I'll be SUPER pissed to see Trae end up in Philly (via Lakers), because he's EXACTLY the type of PG they and Emblid need. A shooter who can pass. :(

I have a feeling he ends up in Phoenix. That team is tailor made for him and thirsty for a PG to string those young guys together and get out in transition.

Trae Young
Devin Booker
TJ Warren
Josh Jackson
Dragan Bender

If they could solidify the front court a little more they could be a really fun team to watch.
DENVER NUGGETS

Return to New York Knicks