ImageImageImageImageImage

Next Head Coach of the Knickerbockers: Mark Jackson?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Re: Next Head Coach of the Knickerbockers: Mark Jackson? 

Post#241 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:39 am

We need a developmental coach.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
bleedblue3303
Sixth Man
And1: 1,125

Post#242 » by bleedblue3303 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:43 am

Mark Few!
BasicBall
RealGM
And1: 448

Post#243 » by BasicBall » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:32 am

What is the fascination with this guy? I'd take Jeff Van Gundy over him in a heartbeat and I don't even want Van Gundy. Give me David Blatt or David Fizdale IF a change is going to be made and I'm not sure Hornacek should be fired!!

Rambis however...can GO!! :nod:
Don't raise your voice, improve your argument :nod:
Bklyn&company
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,051

Post#244 » by Bklyn&company » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:53 am

Both Rambis and Horny need to go...
We need a development head coach... not sure who....all I knew is Ron Adams GSW is the man... work under many first time head coaches and helped transform their teams in one year into playoff teams... dude did it like four times....

He is old now, 70.... but next to Steve Kerr right now, Walton also learned everything from him...

I would give him a kings ransom to be on a staff..

Maybe he is done coaching after this year..
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#245 » by MP4LIFE » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:27 am

Bklyn&company wrote:Both Rambis and Horny need to go...
We need a development head coach... not sure who....all I knew is Ron Adams GSW is the man... work under many first time head coaches and helped transform their teams in one year into playoff teams... dude did it like four times....

He is old now, 70.... but next to Steve Kerr right now, Walton also learned everything from him...

A good coach wouldn’t come here due to unstable management and lack of job security. That and the nearly 2 decades of losing under an awful owner get you the likes of Woodson, Fisher, Rambis and Hornacek as candidates.
BossaNova13
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#246 » by BossaNova13 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:22 am

He's not that bad, especially developing young players and giving them confidence, but prapare for iso ball.
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,142

Post#247 » by The Lamma » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:40 am

Based on the way he performed as a player you would think he would have the requisite abilities to be a fine coach. For a PG he was painfully slow footed, which isn't easy to overcome. He often struggled just to reach the area where he could set the offense up, would have to back in a lot of the time. But he managed to do so, and from there maximized his abilities and impact with savvy, great playmaking and passing. He saw the floor well, and plays develop ahead of time, made the right pass to the right player, and overall was a great leader out there. You would think this would translate to coaching.

But............................................. No.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,776

Post#248 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:22 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:

A good coach wouldn’t come here due to unstable management and lack of job security. That and the nearly 2 decades of losing under an awful owner get you the likes of Woodson, Fisher, Rambis and Hornacek as candidates.

Pretty much.

It also doesn't get the Knicks top notch GM's either. They either have to get lucky with Perry, because the obvious good candidates want no part of coming here.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,175

Post#249 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:36 pm

Bought a case of vinegar as a precautionary measure
ImageImageImage
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 28,564

Post#250 » by Fat Kat » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:36 pm

The atmosphere in this town would never allow for a "developmental" coach. The writers are jackals and the fans follow their lead. A 19 yo Frank can't make it through his rookie season drama free.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#251 » by newyorker4ever » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:38 pm

I'm a little confused on what people consider a developmental coach and what isn't a developmental coach? Aren't all coaches supposed to be able to develop players since they all get drafted players or young players on their teams that get developed? So is any coach that has a good team considered a developmental coach, or is it that they just have a team full of good players that play well together so they're automatically considered good developmental coaches?

It seems to me that we just need more good players and when you have a team full of good players then they'll play well and it seems to me when the young players go to good teams they usually become better players more often then when they go to bad teams. If Frank got drafted by GSW or San Antonio i'd bet there wouldn't be as much pressure on him and he'd be looking like a better player for them with them putting him out there with better players around him and not going out there with so much pressure on him.

I'm not a JH fan but i don't think there's many, if any coaches that would be getting much more out of this Knicks team or our young players because we just don't have enough good players or a team that's been built the right way with true position players playing the positions they're meant to play. We don't have a true PG (Frank, Mudiay, Burke) we don't have a true PF (KP) and we don't have a true SF (Timmy, C.Lee) with the players we have starting at those spots. I know J.Jack is more of a true PG but he just stinks.

Build a real team and many coaches can make it work which don't have to be considered developmental, just good coaches.
amsterdamknicks
Sophomore
And1: 130

Post#252 » by amsterdamknicks » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:58 pm

Keep this nut out!
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,681

Post#253 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:05 pm

Fat Kat wrote:The atmosphere in this town would never allow for a "developmental" coach. The writers are jackals and the fans follow their lead. A 19 yo Frank can't make it through his rookie season drama free.

it's us who think hornacek isn't developing players because they aren't getting thrown into 35mpg from day one. maybe there is indeed a long game being played with the youth.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#254 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:06 pm

Drank my first bottle of vinegar today as a pre-emptive measure
ImageImageImage
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 28,564

Post#255 » by Fat Kat » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:18 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:Drank my first bottle of vinegar today as a pre-emptive measure

I know a guy who passed a drug test by drinking a full bottle of vinegar.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#256 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:33 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:Drank my first bottle of vinegar today as a pre-emptive measure

I know a guy who passed a drug test by drinking a full bottle of vinegar.

Makes sense. I feel like a virgin for the very first time.
ImageImageImage
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,001

Post#257 » by god shammgod » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:39 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/jeff-hornacek-save-season-knicks-hire-article-1.3827297

LOS ANGELES - When Jeff Hornacek returns to work this week he'll have 23 games to salvage the season and perhaps his job as well. Few if any other NBA head coaches face a more daunting challenge.

And to think that Hornacek thought he had it rough last season when he returned from the All Star break and had to recommit the team to the triangle offense as per the direct order of Phil Jackson.

With the Knicks having lost eight straight, including a home loss to the Washington Wizards on Wednesday when the team blew a 27-point lead, Hornacek finds himself painted in a corner without much wiggle room.

"It's not fair but that's how the league works," said one rival executive. "Jeff doesn't have much to work with, especially with (Kristaps) Porzingis out. They have one starter that I like, (Enes) Kanter. Otherwise, they don't shoot well and the roster is slow."

More than ever the feeling is that Hornacek is coaching for his job. There is also a strong sense among league executives that if the Knicks front office made a change they would take a run at Los Angeles Clippers head coach Doc Rivers and would also consider another former Knicks point guard, Mark Jackson, as well.

Rivers is under contract for one more season while Jackson's contract with ABC/ESPN would not prohibit him from signing with an NBA team.

Of course, the job was a lot more attractive two weeks ago before Porzingis went down with a season-ending knee injury. But James Dolan has enough money to ease the pain of walking into a rebuilding situation.

Porzingis' knee injury could cost him a calendar year which also compromises the 2018-19 season for the Knicks as well. Rivers, who did well coaching a rebuilding team in Orlando and has done some of his finest work this season with the revamped Clippers, may not be interested in such a long-term project.

That's also something for Mark Jackson to consider as well. Jackson, like Rivers, lives in the L.A. area and has carved out of second career as a television analyst. The Knicks job is a dream for Jackson but the current situation is not ideal. Jackson, though, took over a young unproven roster in Golden State and elevated them to being a contender.

Jeff Van Gundy would be a candidate as well and his work with the USA National Team, coaching exclusively G-League players, proves that he's ready to coach again and that he can be part of a rebuilding job.

The same is true of Jerry Stackhouse, who coaches the Toronto Raptors G-League roster. Stackhouse is ready to make the jump to the NBA and would be an intriguing candidate in New York. It is also believed that if Orlando were to make a change Stackhouse would be high on the Magic's list.

Return to New York Knicks