ImageImageImageImageImage

WHG traded to hornets for O'Bryant and two 2nds

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,532

Re: WHG traded to hornets for O'Bryant and two 2nds 

Post#1041 » by Fat Kat » Thu Feb 8, 2018 12:44 pm

Besart19 wrote:Warriors, SAS and OKC were better fits for Willy

Are the benches more cushy there?
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Jay10
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#1042 » by Jay10 » Thu Feb 8, 2018 12:46 pm

CrazyKnicks wrote:So instead of seeing what this guy has considering we're rebuilding and especially after KP went down, we trade him for nothing.

Perry should be fired for such an incompetent move. Signed THJ to an awful contract, refuses to rebuild, then gives away a young player with potential. And Perry was supposed to be this great GM? Look at the mess he built in Sacramento before he left... Look at what the Nets are doing, actually being smart and rebuilding properly even though their previous GM gave away their picks.

Just a typical Knicks move, this franchise never gets it.

Perry didn't sign THJr.
Jay10
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#1043 » by Jay10 » Thu Feb 8, 2018 12:50 pm

FKF wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:This just pretty much boiled down to Willy playing his cards wrong and not looking at the bigger picture.

Melo trade brought in Kanter. Yes, we can say we shouldn’t have done it, but Melo had to go and we’d have to take back a center in the trade because centers were the only bad contracts.

The end goal was to trade Kyle, not Willy. However, you actually have to play Kyle to get value.

At the same time, big men won’t get paid what Noah was given anymore. It’s why Kanter will opt in because there is no more money to spend on players like him.

So Willy has to basically force Kanter to be a DNP. Yet he wasn’t able to do that on the floor or in the weight room in the off-season....

Willy would get his playing time either next year or after the deadline if he just sat and waited it out. But no, he became impatient and complained about minutes. It’s not like he is a free agent this summer. Then the beat writers and other enablers egged him on to complain more and more.

At the same time, Kyle’s trade prospects are clearly limited right now. We had a deal with Willy. Perry/Mills are like, “yeah, we like Willy. But we have this deal on the table. And Willy’s been demanding a trade. Let’s send him away.”

So indeed we send him away. To a team that also has a backlog at center. And we replenish our 2nd round picks.

Had Willy shut up, he would still be here and probably would get his minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Yeah I’ve heard that argument. They played KOQ to showcase him but yet Willy is the one getting traded despite not playing. Doesn’t it tell us something ?

BS Perry/Mills like Willy. They didn’t. Willy was a Phil guy. Willy was the backup of Marc Gasol on the Spanish team, a great rebounder who could complement a KP, they had chemistry in Spain and he saw future with him. As soon as Phil was let go, Willy wasn’t really part of the organization no more. Phil would have waived Melo and played Willy. Instead we play Kanter and pay him the millions. Like it helps us moving forward, it doesn’t.

Willy was not "a Phil guy".

Mills was actually the person that went to Spain and noticed Willy while scouting Kristaps.
Fat Kat
RealGM

Post#1044 » by Fat Kat » Thu Feb 8, 2018 12:52 pm

Tuneman7 wrote:People are putting way too much stock into an all rookie 1st team award. Did people forget about Landry Fields?

In my eyes the dude had a sourpuss demeanor in the limited time he did get on the floor this season rather than trying to fight his way into the rotation or show why he should be played over Kanter and KOQ. He can't hit shots more than 10 feet away from the basket and he plays 0 semblance of defense.

Whether we could've gotten more for him in a trade is a different story, maybe? The market for young unproven players who are 3rd-4th string on a lottery dwelling team isn't that great I guess?

Alan Hahn said that he refused to go to the Gleague for reps. He had entitlement issues based on his KP friendship. He has the ability to be a decent backup, but this lengthy thread is too much for what he is. The kid has biatch-like tendencies.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#1045 » by earthmansurfer » Thu Feb 8, 2018 12:55 pm

Tuneman7 wrote:People are putting way too much stock into an all rookie 1st team award. Did people forget about Landry Fields?

In my eyes the dude had a sourpuss demeanor in the limited time he did get on the floor this season rather than trying to fight his way into the rotation or show why he should be played over Kanter and KOQ. He can't hit shots more than 10 feet away from the basket and he plays 0 semblance of defense.

Whether we could've gotten more for him in a trade is a different story, maybe? The market for young unproven players who are 3rd-4th string on a lottery dwelling team isn't that great I guess?

Not denying your argument, but Fields got hurt (crazy injury and his shot never came back.)

NBA is going in another direction center wise. Willy centers are not that popular anymore. That said, KOQ can walk, unless we sign him to an extension. If we let him walk or don't trade him, Willy was not only for not, but we would have had an even higher pick in the draft.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#1046 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:06 pm

Jay10 wrote:
CrazyKnicks wrote:So instead of seeing what this guy has considering we're rebuilding and especially after KP went down, we trade him for nothing.

Perry should be fired for such an incompetent move. Signed THJ to an awful contract, refuses to rebuild, then gives away a young player with potential. And Perry was supposed to be this great GM? Look at the mess he built in Sacramento before he left... Look at what the Nets are doing, actually being smart and rebuilding properly even though their previous GM gave away their picks.

Just a typical Knicks move, this franchise never gets it.

Perry didn't sign THJr.

Perry probably didn't really trade WHG either
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,928

Post#1047 » by F N 11 » Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:09 pm

Willy changed his display photo and description so fast lol. He couldn’t wait to get out of New York.

Anyway let’s not overreact. We liked him. But he’s terrible on defense. No jump shot. In a league where Offense centers that don’t play D are being extinct I’m not even mad.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#1048 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:11 pm

Fat Kat wrote:

Alan Hahn said that he refused to go to the Gleague for reps. He had entitlement issues based on his KP friendship. He has the ability to be a decent backup, but this lengthy thread is too much for what he is. The kid has biatch-like tendencies.

That can be worked with. I see in other posts some posters think everyone who didn't like the trade overstated WHG's talent. I liked him but I didn't think he was all that. A backup C who scores. Finesse scorer. It's not even about the value - basically they recouped what it cost to get him and the picks are in years the Knicks had traded picks, so that's not bad. More, it's about the fact that he was decent and KOQ will opt out (this has to be considered to be close to 100% happening) and Noah looks done and Kanter I get is here for this year and next. I just think WHG was cheaper longer than KOQ or would have been backup insurance against KOQ leaving.
Basically, the Knicks should have saved the potential $ and dealt KOQ and kept WHG. I think that would have been more prudent, but at the end of the day, between the two of them, it doesn't really matter.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#1049 » by Billy Goat » Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:27 pm

Fat Kat wrote:

Kp seems to have them too. Will he rehab with the Knicks or demand to go to Latvia?
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,134

Post#1050 » by Tron Carter » Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:35 pm

K P 6 wrote:Willy changed his display photo and description so fast lol. He couldn’t wait to get out of New York.

Anyway let’s not overreact. We liked him. But he’s terrible on defense. No jump shot. In a league where Offense centers that don’t play D are being extinct I’m not even mad.

that’s funny because we actual start one of those extinct centers. and pay him 17x more money.

and willy did have a jump shot. he even hit a few threes last season. obviously he needed to develop it more, but the Knicks don’t develop young players.
R.I.P Black Mamba
Fat Kat
RealGM

Post#1051 » by Fat Kat » Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:35 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:

Kp seems to have them too. Will he rehab with the Knicks or demand to go to Latvia?

It'll be witch doctor rehab in Latvia under the close supervision of Janis. I seriously think Janis will be a problem in our dealings with KP
iLovethosedamnknicks
Rookie
And1: 221

Post#1052 » by iLovethosedamnknicks » Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:36 pm

Sark wrote:What has Lance 0/0/0 Thomas done to earn his minutes?

Does okc have any expiring contracts we can send

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#1053 » by Greenie » Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:39 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:

Welp
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,619

Post#1054 » by mpharris36 » Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:42 pm

I will give perry to 3pm to criticize him...

It's not just about dealing WHG, if WHG is the only move then it proves Perry is a hack. If WHG was one of a bunch of moves to acquire 2nd round picks and such I can live with that.

You can't talk about "asset collection" and move 1 piece...thats not how "asset collection" works. Also the one piece a cost controlled 23 year old also doesn't jive when you have vets still on the roster that wont be here when KP is back healthy...

But WHG was the easiest player to move it took no effort. Moving some other pieces will take some effort and that is true test of if I will trust Perry going forward. Just moving WHG and wiping your hands really shows how incompetent him and Mills are.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
SpikJagger
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#1055 » by SpikJagger » Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:44 pm

I just saw a report that Lakers been rejecting teams that have been offering 2nds for Julias Randle and that noone has yet to offer a first.

It really is a buyers market. We weren't going to get a better return than we did. Though i rather would've just kept him.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,619

Post#1056 » by mpharris36 » Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:47 pm

SpikJagger wrote:I just saw a report that Lakers been rejecting teams that have been offering 2nds for Julias Randle and that noone has yet to offer a first.

It really is a buyers market. We weren't going to get a better return than we did. Though i rather would've just kept him.

I think that was probably my point. I'm not complaining that this was the best we could have gotten I'm complaining if this was the best we could of gotten then just don't move him. There is no rush since he's got two more years at pretty much minimum $$$.

There is a bit more urgency to move KOQ since if you don't get anything for him now you will lose him. And for the bring him back for $10 million a year crowd is crazy IMO. We aren't in that position to do that.

Randle doesn't surprise me either...just like Randle, Payton any restricted FA teams have to pay why give up an asset to basically have to pay them a sh*t tone of $$$ just to keep them....makes no sense.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,282

Post#1057 » by DOT » Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:48 pm

SpikJagger wrote:I just saw a report that Lakers been rejecting teams that have been offering 2nds for Julias Randle and that noone has yet to offer a first.

If anything, it shows poor planning from the FO

We needed to do something as soon as we traded for Kanter, yet we did nothing. Then Willy started to complain (which he shouldn't've, but that's another topic), so what we should've done was wait it out on him and either showcase him after the deadline and trade him in the offseason, or just traded KOQ

Don't really expect much from today. All I'm hoping for is a Beasley trade. KOQ has little value and nobody to take his minutes, and Lee might have some value but will probably be worth more in the offseason when every team isn't capped out
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
nykfan42
Head Coach
And1: 3,077

Post#1058 » by nykfan42 » Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:52 pm

I'm still bothered by how stupid this trade was.
Make the Knicks great again!
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,500

Post#1059 » by j4remi » Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:54 pm

Yeah, they basically devalued the asset and then decided to move him at the worst time as far as the market goes. Just poor decisions. On Randle though, I can't imagine a team giving up a first rounder just for his restricted rights. You'd be giving up a nice cost controlled asset for a guy that's due for a big raise, so it's not just the market on that one. It's the rental aspect.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Fat Kat
RealGM

Post#1060 » by Fat Kat » Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:58 pm

Tyreke Evans is having a hard time fetching a 1st too

Return to New York Knicks