ImageImageImageImageImage

NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates

Moderators: moocow007, Knickstape1214, magnumt, Capn'O, GONYK, mrpoetryNmotion, NoLayupRule, Thugger HBC, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, Thorn, King of Canada

User avatar
SpikJagger
Senior
Posts: 507
And1: 362
Joined: Feb 23, 2017
     

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#121 » by SpikJagger » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Synciere wrote:but players saw Blatt clearly was ill prepared to deal with Lebron. In a league in which you have to have stars to win, your coach has to be able to demand respect, even from the worlds best player.


I mean, do people not feel the same way about Lue though? Maybe he doesn't have that reputation because he's an explayer and is "lebrons boy".

I've literally seen Lue sit in the bench and stare mindlessly while Lebron is in the huddle coaching the guys. Isn't he always seen overriding Lue? Haven't they had their fare share of on court arguing?

I mean, Lue has Brons respect for obv. reasons but that doesn't hold Bron back from treating his boy like an assistant coach at time while LeCoach takes the helm.
User avatar
Sark
RealGM
Posts: 12,576
And1: 6,967
Joined: Sep 21, 2010
Location: Location: Location:
 

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#122 » by Sark » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:17 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Sark wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
With what Saint Johns has done this season Chris Mullen's name has to be in the hat as well...



Why? Because he's a known name?


Because he is a college coach in the area who is having some success (beating Duke and Villanova recently), it also helps that he is a known name and a local product himself.



He is 13-13 and 2-11 in conference. A few good wins doesn't inspire me to the point that I think he should be Knicks head coach.
#Knickstank
User avatar
Knickstape1214
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 44,680
And1: 22,772
Joined: Jul 16, 2009
Location: Lawyering
Contact:
     

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#123 » by Knickstape1214 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:43 pm

SpikJagger wrote:
Synciere wrote:but players saw Blatt clearly was ill prepared to deal with Lebron. In a league in which you have to have stars to win, your coach has to be able to demand respect, even from the worlds best player.


I mean, do people not feel the same way about Lue though? Maybe he doesn't have that reputation because he's an explayer and is "lebrons boy".

I've literally seen Lue sit in the bench and stare mindlessly while Lebron is in the huddle coaching the guys. Isn't he always seen overriding Lue? Haven't they had their fare share of on court arguing?

I mean, Lue has Brons respect for obv. reasons but that doesn't hold Bron back from treating his boy like an assistant coach at time while LeCoach takes the helm.


The only coach who didn't put up with LeBron's ego was Spo, and that's because he had Riley backing him. Lue is a horrible coach and the only reason he's still there is because he's a "yes man" to LeBron.

The Cavs initially signed Blatt to coach a young group of players that was set to include Irving and Wiggins. Instead, he got LeBron, which is obviously great because you're going to the finals, but it also is terrible because it removes you from coach essentially. He could demand respect from LeBron all he wanted, but it wasn't going to do anything. Putting him on a team like the Knicks with KP, a lotto pick this year, and hopefully another one next year will be a perfect fit for someone like Blatt - the guy I feel like we should have signed instead of Jeff.
Synciere
Veteran
Posts: 2,836
And1: 455
Joined: Jun 08, 2004
Contact:
     

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#124 » by Synciere » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:49 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
SpikJagger wrote:
Synciere wrote:but players saw Blatt clearly was ill prepared to deal with Lebron. In a league in which you have to have stars to win, your coach has to be able to demand respect, even from the worlds best player.


I mean, do people not feel the same way about Lue though? Maybe he doesn't have that reputation because he's an explayer and is "lebrons boy".

I've literally seen Lue sit in the bench and stare mindlessly while Lebron is in the huddle coaching the guys. Isn't he always seen overriding Lue? Haven't they had their fare share of on court arguing?

I mean, Lue has Brons respect for obv. reasons but that doesn't hold Bron back from treating his boy like an assistant coach at time while LeCoach takes the helm.


The only coach who didn't put up with LeBron's ego was Spo, and that's because he had Riley backing him. Lue is a horrible coach and the only reason he's still there is because he's a "yes man" to LeBron.

The Cavs initially signed Blatt to coach a young group of players that was set to include Irving and Wiggins. Instead, he got LeBron, which is obviously great because you're going to the finals, but it also is terrible because it removes you from coach essentially. He could demand respect from LeBron all he wanted, but it wasn't going to do anything. Putting him on a team like the Knicks with KP, a lotto pick this year, and hopefully another one next year will be a perfect fit for someone like Blatt - the guy I feel like we should have signed instead of Jeff.


Where do you guys get this stuff? The reason Lue was hired was because he had the ability to tell Lebron to shut the f*** up when he was hired. He had Lebrons respect. You're making a lot of excuses for Blatt's inability to earn the respect of the team and Lebron. Whatever the reason, it didn't happen. There are multiple reports of Lue having the team's and Lebron's respect when he was hired. I don't want a coach just for this young team. I want a coach who can handle both the younguns and veterans whom we may sign to better in two years. I want to kill this cycle of hiring coaches for 2 years and then replacing. You can't build a culture that way.
Quickly I must hurry, for there go my people, and I am their leader.
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 20,236
And1: 12,072
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: MR. FRANKTASTIC

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#125 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:53 pm

SpikJagger wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:I think Blatt is a good coach, but I really wonder about the impact of perception. I mean, part of leading is reputation.


I think the perception around both Lebron and the Cavs has changed drastically this season though. I think people (fans, players, executives alike) always doubted the Blatt firing. Now with this dysfunctional Cavaliers season it's become more and more apparent that Blatt def. did get a "raw deal" and that there's been issues with the franchise as a whole, that don't nec reflect on the coach.

Everything from Kyrie to the Griffin firing to the Billups rejection to Lue losing the lockeroom to all the losses this season. Even all the controversy with Gilbert and Lebron. Cavs made it very apparent that being a winning franchise and a dysfunctional one aren't mutually exclusive.

If anything this season has alleviated Blatts perception and reputation. If anything i think people are looking at the Cavs and specifically Lue with a negative perception as of late. Lue has been a laughing stock as of late around the league among scouts and executives with those lineups and lack of effort his players have been giving him.

Blatt will be fine and his rep is fine. The only thing i'm worried about are reports that he wasn't familiar with all NBA players (didn't know their names, needed to rely strictly on scouting reports, etc.)


I think this is a good point; this season by the Cavs helps Blatt out a lot.
User avatar
Knickstape1214
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 44,680
And1: 22,772
Joined: Jul 16, 2009
Location: Lawyering
Contact:
     

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#126 » by Knickstape1214 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:53 pm

Synciere wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
SpikJagger wrote:
I mean, do people not feel the same way about Lue though? Maybe he doesn't have that reputation because he's an explayer and is "lebrons boy".

I've literally seen Lue sit in the bench and stare mindlessly while Lebron is in the huddle coaching the guys. Isn't he always seen overriding Lue? Haven't they had their fare share of on court arguing?

I mean, Lue has Brons respect for obv. reasons but that doesn't hold Bron back from treating his boy like an assistant coach at time while LeCoach takes the helm.


The only coach who didn't put up with LeBron's ego was Spo, and that's because he had Riley backing him. Lue is a horrible coach and the only reason he's still there is because he's a "yes man" to LeBron.

The Cavs initially signed Blatt to coach a young group of players that was set to include Irving and Wiggins. Instead, he got LeBron, which is obviously great because you're going to the finals, but it also is terrible because it removes you from coach essentially. He could demand respect from LeBron all he wanted, but it wasn't going to do anything. Putting him on a team like the Knicks with KP, a lotto pick this year, and hopefully another one next year will be a perfect fit for someone like Blatt - the guy I feel like we should have signed instead of Jeff.


Where do you guys get this stuff? The reason Lue was hired was because he had the ability to tell Lebron to shut the f*** up when he was hired. He had Lebrons respect. You're making a lot of excuses for Blatt's inability to earn the respect of the team and Lebron. Whatever the reason, it didn't happen. There are multiple reports of Lue having the team's and Lebron's respect when he was hired. I don't want a coach just for this young team. I want a coach who can handle both the younguns and veterans whom we may sign to better in two years. I want to kill this cycle of hiring coaches for 2 years and then replacing. You can't build a culture that way.

Reports, watching games/analysis, etc. It’s the truth. LeBron has been running over Lue for a while now. Blatt is an actual coach and would be great for a young team like ours. You disagree, that’s fine. IMO (based off watching games/analysis, reading a lot, reading Cavs fans opinions, etc, Lue really is nothing more than a “yes man,” unlike Blatt who actually coaches.
Synciere
Veteran
Posts: 2,836
And1: 455
Joined: Jun 08, 2004
Contact:
     

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#127 » by Synciere » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:54 pm

SpikJagger wrote:
Synciere wrote:but players saw Blatt clearly was ill prepared to deal with Lebron. In a league in which you have to have stars to win, your coach has to be able to demand respect, even from the worlds best player.


I mean, do people not feel the same way about Lue though? Maybe he doesn't have that reputation because he's an explayer and is "lebrons boy".

I've literally seen Lue sit in the bench and stare mindlessly while Lebron is in the huddle coaching the guys. Isn't he always seen overriding Lue? Haven't they had their fare share of on court arguing?

I mean, Lue has Brons respect for obv. reasons but that doesn't hold Bron back from treating his boy like an assistant coach at time while LeCoach takes the helm.


Yeah I think most players feel Lue has earned respect. Part of it is probably that he was a player. Part of it is that he had the backing of guys like Shaq and Kobe and Larry Brown. Part of it is that he was an assistant for some years. Whatever the reason, Lue was the guy they went to when they fired Blatt, and he was on the bench when they won the chip! If that doesn't earn him more respect now than David Blatt................

I've seen him let Lebron take over on the bench and I've seen him take over from Lebron, by force when he's needed to. Handling a guy like Lebron probably requires that balancing act, an act, again, that Blatt failed miserably at.
Quickly I must hurry, for there go my people, and I am their leader.
Synciere
Veteran
Posts: 2,836
And1: 455
Joined: Jun 08, 2004
Contact:
     

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#128 » by Synciere » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:00 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Synciere wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
The only coach who didn't put up with LeBron's ego was Spo, and that's because he had Riley backing him. Lue is a horrible coach and the only reason he's still there is because he's a "yes man" to LeBron.

The Cavs initially signed Blatt to coach a young group of players that was set to include Irving and Wiggins. Instead, he got LeBron, which is obviously great because you're going to the finals, but it also is terrible because it removes you from coach essentially. He could demand respect from LeBron all he wanted, but it wasn't going to do anything. Putting him on a team like the Knicks with KP, a lotto pick this year, and hopefully another one next year will be a perfect fit for someone like Blatt - the guy I feel like we should have signed instead of Jeff.


Where do you guys get this stuff? The reason Lue was hired was because he had the ability to tell Lebron to shut the f*** up when he was hired. He had Lebrons respect. You're making a lot of excuses for Blatt's inability to earn the respect of the team and Lebron. Whatever the reason, it didn't happen. There are multiple reports of Lue having the team's and Lebron's respect when he was hired. I don't want a coach just for this young team. I want a coach who can handle both the younguns and veterans whom we may sign to better in two years. I want to kill this cycle of hiring coaches for 2 years and then replacing. You can't build a culture that way.

Reports, watching games/analysis, etc. It’s the truth. LeBron has been running over Lue for a while now. Blatt is an actual coach and would be great for a young team like ours. You disagree, that’s fine. IMO (based off watching games/analysis, reading a lot, reading Cavs fans opinions, etc, Lue really is nothing more than a “yes man,” unlike Blatt who actually coaches.


Blatt sat there, drew up plays and game plans, and when Lebron disagreed, erased his board and started again. At times Lebron didn't even have to say anything. He'd just look away or look at him the way I do when I want my son to stop acting out and don't want to spaz on him. Blatt was the epitome of a yes man, and I could easily see that reputation causing Star and superstar players to disrespect him off rip. I've watched all those games and read all those articles and spoken to all of those fans, especially since during that time I lived in Ohio, and it's clear to me that Lue managed to straddle that fence of better than Blatt. I don't want to hire a coach just for the young ones or just for veterans. I want a coach well versed in the league as it is today with the gravitas to handle all of the trappings, especially in a harsh NY market.
Quickly I must hurry, for there go my people, and I am their leader.
User avatar
Knickstape1214
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 44,680
And1: 22,772
Joined: Jul 16, 2009
Location: Lawyering
Contact:
     

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#129 » by Knickstape1214 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:05 pm

Synciere wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Synciere wrote:
Where do you guys get this stuff? The reason Lue was hired was because he had the ability to tell Lebron to shut the f*** up when he was hired. He had Lebrons respect. You're making a lot of excuses for Blatt's inability to earn the respect of the team and Lebron. Whatever the reason, it didn't happen. There are multiple reports of Lue having the team's and Lebron's respect when he was hired. I don't want a coach just for this young team. I want a coach who can handle both the younguns and veterans whom we may sign to better in two years. I want to kill this cycle of hiring coaches for 2 years and then replacing. You can't build a culture that way.

Reports, watching games/analysis, etc. It’s the truth. LeBron has been running over Lue for a while now. Blatt is an actual coach and would be great for a young team like ours. You disagree, that’s fine. IMO (based off watching games/analysis, reading a lot, reading Cavs fans opinions, etc, Lue really is nothing more than a “yes man,” unlike Blatt who actually coaches.


Blatt sat there, drew up plays and game plans, and when Lebron disagreed, erased his board and started again. At times Lebron didn't even have to say anything. He'd just look away or look at him the way I do when I want my son to stop acting out and don't want to spaz on him. Blatt was the epitome of a yes man, and I could easily see that reputation causing Star and superstar players to disrespect him off rip. I've watched all those games and read all those articles and spoken to all of those fans, especially since during that time I lived in Ohio, and it's clear to me that Lue managed to straddle that fence of better than Blatt. I don't want to hire a coach just for the young ones or just for veterans. I want a coach well versed in the league as it is today with the gravitas to handle all of the trappings, especially in a harsh NY market.

K. I find it interesting you saw this and also that Jackson isn’t that bad (lol), but to each his own. Enjoy your day.
User avatar
SpikJagger
Senior
Posts: 507
And1: 362
Joined: Feb 23, 2017
     

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#130 » by SpikJagger » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:14 pm

Would anyone want to hire Lue for this team if for some reason Lebron leaves this season and Koby Altman goes a different direction?

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
User avatar
nykballa2k4
RealGM
Posts: 22,060
And1: 2,691
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: Kurt Rhombus is managing the defense...
       

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#131 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:13 am

Sark wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Sark wrote:

Why? Because he's a known name?


Because he is a college coach in the area who is having some success (beating Duke and Villanova recently), it also helps that he is a known name and a local product himself.



He is 13-13 and 2-11 in conference. A few good wins doesn't inspire me to the point that I think he should be Knicks head coach.


He is just starting to get a team he put together out there. Building a program takes time.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
User avatar
Sark
RealGM
Posts: 12,576
And1: 6,967
Joined: Sep 21, 2010
Location: Location: Location:
 

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#132 » by Sark » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:15 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Sark wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Because he is a college coach in the area who is having some success (beating Duke and Villanova recently), it also helps that he is a known name and a local product himself.



He is 13-13 and 2-11 in conference. A few good wins doesn't inspire me to the point that I think he should be Knicks head coach.


He is just starting to get a team he put together out there. Building a program takes time.



2 wins doesn't mean he's ready to take over as coach of the Knicks. We'd be hiring him based off name alone. Star fcking to the max.
#Knickstank
User avatar
nykballa2k4
RealGM
Posts: 22,060
And1: 2,691
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: Kurt Rhombus is managing the defense...
       

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#133 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:24 am

Sark wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Sark wrote:

He is 13-13 and 2-11 in conference. A few good wins doesn't inspire me to the point that I think he should be Knicks head coach.


He is just starting to get a team he put together out there. Building a program takes time.



2 wins doesn't mean he's ready to take over as coach of the Knicks. We'd be hiring him based off name alone. Star fcking to the max.

It's more than wins, but we will re-visit this idea in March. Let's see how they finish the season.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
iCallBankshot
Freshman
Posts: 58
And1: 17
Joined: Aug 14, 2017
   

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#134 » by iCallBankshot » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:19 am

Newyorknick94 wrote:
Shemy wrote:any brad stevens type dudes in College??

We need to copy everything Boston does



I would love to know if anyone has a college coaches scouting report
iCallBankshot
Freshman
Posts: 58
And1: 17
Joined: Aug 14, 2017
   

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#135 » by iCallBankshot » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:23 am

CharlesOakley wrote:We need an actual development coach. High draft picks isn't worth a thing if we can't get the young guys playing right. The right way to tank is to play the youngsters, give them a proper system on offense and defense and let the results land where they may. We don't have the talent to not suck. I feel like sucking next season is guaranteed. Player development is not guaranteed, which is why we need a new coach.


That was Brett Brown!
User avatar
Are We Ther Yet
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,875
And1: 2,435
Joined: Nov 07, 2012
       

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#136 » by Are We Ther Yet » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:59 am

The Knicks aren't looking for a coach right now. There are no candidates.
a knick fan forum. not a "argue ad nauseam about narratives and biases you hold like blood feuds that span decades" forum, you sentient buttplug. - Marty McFly :lol:
User avatar
MP4LIFE
Analyst
Posts: 3,144
And1: 2,145
Joined: Jul 15, 2016
 

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#137 » by MP4LIFE » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:00 am

SpikJagger wrote:Would anyone want to hire Lue for this team if for some reason Lebron leaves this season and Koby Altman goes a different direction?

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:


Lue is awful.
Dolan's record as owner of NYK as of 2/1/18: 599-831
BasicBall
RealGM
Posts: 11,091
And1: 367
Joined: Jul 18, 2003

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#138 » by BasicBall » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 am

David Fizdale
Don't raise your voice, improve your argument :nod:
bleedblue3303
Pro Prospect
Posts: 813
And1: 198
Joined: Dec 29, 2009

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#139 » by bleedblue3303 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:26 pm

Mark Few!
User avatar
Spot31
Sophomore
Posts: 234
And1: 16
Joined: Aug 28, 2004
Location: Throggs Neck NY

Re: NYPost: Future Knicks Coaching Candidates 

Post#140 » by Spot31 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:25 am

Jerry Sloan
"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character hope." Rom. 5: 2-4

Return to New York Knicks